At Miami Heat Feb. 24th, 7:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Wade had 31 points, mostly on jumpers, and 16 assists with almost all of those coming on passes that led to 3 pointers (aka good 3 pointers).

DET was down 7-8 in the 4th when Stuckey drove from the top left side, got inside the paint and forced MIA's D to move before he kicked it out to a wide open AI at the 3 pt elbow. Good teams hit 3's there. AI went back inside because he is not a 3 pt shooter where the D was waiting for an offensive foul.

The Pistons hang around for a while but ultimately whoever they're playing D acts like a boa constrictor and squeezes the life out of them.

As Adrian said to Rocky, "You can't win!"

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wow. Some new stuff. But too much old stuff. Dyess and Sheed paired in this game - heavily minus for us. Each player had a decent game individually, yet, together, they got outhustled by younger opponents on every play. Look at it this way - Dyess was 8 of 10, but still minus 9 for the game. Individually, he had a good game. As guy playing with Sheed, he did horrid on play after play where if these two were ten years younger, they would have come out on top. They are old by NBA standards. Curry was quite right not to want to pair them up when the season started. No time is right for the two to ever play on the floor at the same time.

What do we have in Sheed, Dyess, and Kwame? The luxury of three pretty decent centers. We could start Sheed, and have a choice of two fine subs to spell Sheed when he gets tired. But instead, we pair these guys. And it does not work. It will never work.

Herrmann, as threatened, is now part of the rotation. Never mind he was 0-3, with his only positive stat being the 2 rebounds that got tapped out to him. Curry actually thinks Herrmann can shoot three pointers. Sure he can, on a elementary school team. In the NBA, if Herrmann goes out to the 3 line to spot up, the other team can have committee meetings, decide who is going to go out and check him, take a break for a while, and still arrive in plenty of time to make Herrmann forget about shooting. And then if Herrmann puts the ball down, so what - he has no speed - and is no threat to drive the ball. Herrmann is simply not an NBA player.

So we open the 4th quarter with something different. Tay at shooting guard. I love that Curry tried something different. Great for him. But to what point if he is playing with Dyess and Sheed up front, Herrmann at small forward, and little old AI at point. If you want to go big with Tay at shooting guard, play JMAX at small forward, or Amir. Play Stuckey along side him to help press the size advantage. All Curry did was leave out Rip, for no purpose.

Regardless of all the things Curry did wrong, at least he played Kwame tonight. That is a good thing. Kwame looked good on the boards.

As mentioned, Afflalo did not play. And we still have no wins where Curry left Afflalo out of the rotation. Just like last year. If Afflalo is left out, we lose. Why is this. Well, for instance, Stuckey's defense tonight can be described by such words as atrocious, non-existent, stinky. Afflalo is our best perimeter defender. And gee, the other team has a great perimeter player in D. Wade. So Afflalo does not play. Another totally clueless move by Curry, who I am sure is busily trying to think of how he can blame this one on the players.

Tay had a near triple double, plus heroically tried to fill in the interior defense that Dyess and Sheed combined simply had no possible way to accomplish at their ripe old age.

AI scored a lot, and did so exactly how we want him to score - get to the basket.

Rip. Made a few shots. Was the forgotten man in the 2nd half. Some crazy notion on Curry's part that Herrmann can play. (Now, I am sure I am preaching to the choir on this one - Herrmann instead of Rip? This is truly total absurdity.)

Curry played Amir at center. Wow. What is he trying to prove. Many times this season now, we see pairing JMAX and Amir does not work. Between them, just not enough size and strength, height. So Amir got two fouls in two minutes, playing out of position, and never sees any further floor time.

JMAX looked good at times. Nothing too spectacular. He would be so much better if he could learn to make his free throws.

Oh, and that is 7 losses in a row. And no elementary school team seems to be on the schedule so don't expect any further wins. Until Curry is fired - cause he won't under any circumstances stop pairing Sheed and Dyess. He has not a clue about how certain players compliment certain other players. And no clue at all that Sheed / Dyess - does nothing but make both players look horrid.

3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Oh, I remember that one. A friend called me to tell me about the firing... I was so ecstatic!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I can't wait to read this in the Bleecher Report tomorrow.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

They claimed to have deleted the last one, I didn't have time to verify it.

6. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

consider it verified. i checked and they took it down.

7. roscoe36

NBA - Detroit Pistons/Miami Heat Box Score Tuesday February 24, 2009 - Yahoo! Sports

notes from the box

Max had a nice little game. Kwame as well. 3 rebounds and 2 assists in short minutes. Amir continued his dominance of the PF column with 2 in under 2 minutes. I'd be totally ok with this if he was built like Danny Fortson and physically abusing people like Rick Mahorn.

Stuckey was -17. Wow. I don't spend a lot of time in the box scores anymore, I seem to think he's been one of the worse plus/minus guys for a few games now, could be wrong about that, just perception. His shooting isn't a big sample, but no rebounds or assists in 30 minutes....

One of Prince's better recent games, maybe he has decided to give a full effort again. Nearly a triple double.

Gave up 10 more rebounds, 7 more assists, 8 more three pointers, it's amazing we were in this game.

8. roscoe36

grazie

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Spot on and cosigned :reading: copywrite this one Lee!!

The season is a sham of false hopes

10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

AI called it like it was: "We can't get any stops." This had been true virtually the whole year on the defensive side.

But the Piston offense is also not an NBA offense. Miami 9 three-balls for 27 points. Pistons one three ball for three points. Please, do the math. This team has only one three ball shooter and now teams are taking that away from Sheed. So the Pistons cannot score from the perimeter. Oh, the Pistons are a perimeter team. No, not an NBA perimeter team. So teams just pack the lane...Put any Piston line up out there on the floor--won't matter on the offensive side.

11. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I'm gonna make an omelette. I make a mean ass omelette.

12. max

max All-Star

At this point I am just going to try and enjoy watching the games for the games themselfs. We just saw one of the best players in the game ( Wade ) set a career high in assists. I am glad Stucky picked Wade to model his game after. Take some notes and start trying to apply it.

13. LA Dre

No three threat is right...last year we had Billups, a better than average Sheed, Hayes and Rip and tay.

This year, No Billups, No Hayes, One three ball a week from Tay, one every other game from Rip, and a half cocked Sheed who fires them up with out even looking at the hoop....:confused: and oh yeah Fabio...

14. The Palace Artest

I'm not even bothering following the games themselves anymore. I've lost complete hope in them.

What I do participate in though, is the discussions. The rumors and debates.

15. lovingj

lovingj First Round Draft Pick

Truly believe that Joe made a conscious decision to tank this season.

16. LA Dre

Stuckey was so in awe watching Wade hand out his 16 assists, he failed to hand out one himself..

Wade who was just toying with us in the first half showed his full arsenal in the second half and had 16 assists to the Pistons total 17 assists..

17. roscoe36

Nice. :stirthepot:

18. The Palace Artest

They are awesome. The omelette is the pizza of breakfast.

19. roscoe36

Hey, is Jamario Moon better than Tay?

I mean that seriously. If we objectively compare them. Seems to me Moon is as if not more athletic, and a lot more aggressive, even if Tay is more skilled.

20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

No. He's even more inconsistent than Tay; his defense is average; he has a very shaky outside shot, and is not even that strong of a finisher at the rim. He can dunk though. TOR had high hopes for him, but he never panned out into anything spectacular. Don't underestimate our ability to make anyone look good right now,