at Memphis Wednesday October 28 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'October 2009' started by roscoe36, Oct 27, 2009.

1. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

It seemed to me like the pistons were passing a lot more this year as opposed to last, which makes me happy, because that willingness to pass and play as a *team* is what I loved about the 2004 - 2006 Pistons.

Also I freaking love the arc on Ben Gordon's shots...
  2. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Finally figured out what is wrong with Big Ben's free throw mechanics. Anybody got a number for someone on the coaching staff I can call??

He is leaning backwards on his freethrows. Instead of bending at the waist forward towards the basket he is standing straight up and leaning back on his release. This prevents him from keeping his head still.

It seems to me his free throw mechanix could be fixed and his percentage up in a matter of hours.
  3. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Dang you guys got me all fired up now! I thought it was an excellent game and was most struck by our competence on defense which I would have lost a bet on if I'd made one last night. I didn't expect to see much of it.

Truth be told, I told my sister "I don't know hon (She is a Sheed fan) if you want to see defense this year you might have to watch Sheed and the Celtics." She was understandably sad and said "But I just took out my Pistons jersey from the closet, are they really going to be that bad?" I said "I don't think they'll be bad, but I don't know that you're going to see much defense." Well........goes to show what I don't know. ALOT.

Great game. Great to be in chat with some of you guys again. Super chat turnout. Keep it coming. Now I saved this game on my DVR and you guys have got me so fired up I'm going to watch it again over morning Mocha Java espresso and bagels.

P.S. I usually have to try to watch the games again because I'm such a rotten multitasker that watching the game and chatting to you all at the same time stretches my attention too thin. Then when you guys are talking about specific plays later in the threaed I'm like..."What? When? I didn't see that"....heading to the vcr now...:pound:
  4. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe if WE ARE lucky the Grizz will gift wrap and send him to Detroit.
  5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Take a look at the effort of the guards on defense... especially when the ball goes into the post. These little guys were swarming I tell ya. Memphis didn't have much space and couldn't isolate very easily.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Big Ben did a real nice job on Randolph defensively.

I'm glad they started CV.

Gordon only took 12 shots which is the downside of pairing with Rip. What happens when he's not 7-12?

They ran well which is a change.

Memphis is brutal!
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

It was pretty cool watching Rip and Ben nailing J's from opposite sides of the court. Maybe they take away from eachother's point totals, but become more efficient because of the space they give eachother. That could make it worth it. (More touches for BW in the post!).
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Didn't the Celtics with that other guy hold the Bobcats to 59 points last night?
  9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Last time I checked, Larry Brown was no Lionel Hollins.
  10. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

TaShawn the Slow Adult
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Cain't nobody tell me nuthun'!!!! I don't give a eff if we go 1-81 this season, nobody is taking the sweetness of this victory away from me. We could have played against a Chinese middle school IDGAF!!! A win is a win and we have no idea how many performances like that we are going to get this year so I'm appreciating ALL OF THEM!!

I loved the sub pattern tonight, Rip was cold, but he was still making people chase him all over the court-wearing OJ Mayo out - even though Rip was doing his best to become a member of the local Masonry Union. Now Rip sits down, but does Mayo get a rest? NOPE!!!! Because now you have to defend BEN GORDON!!!! Their defenses have to contend with the size and strength of Stuckey, Stuck goes to the bench-do you get a rest? NOPE!!!! Now here comes the ultra fast, ultra quick, compact strong, pesky full court defender Will Bynum!!! These 4 are going to put constant pressure on people for 48 mins a night and from night to night the mins will fluctuate but all of them are playing at least 23mpg.

What can you say about Ben Wallace, if we can get that performance 1out of every 3/4 games, I'm happy. Kwame was big too, give him props.

Lastly, did you see how Ben was involved in the offense, making passes, reversing the ball from the interior, getting a bunny here and there, drawing fouls (he missed the FT's, but as LEE pointed out, it keeps the other team in the penalty and gets their bigs to play soft because they're afraid to get in furthur foul trouble) that's all Ben was asking for during the Flip era, to be a part of the offense, he didn't want to score any points, he wasn't screaming to get more shots, he just wanted to be included. He was frustrated coming down court for 7,8,9 possessions and NEVER even touching the ball.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

OMG! I thought that was the 3rd quarter score... wow.

KG was +34 last night?

Sheldon Williams led in rebounds in only 22 minutes.
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

with this team, I can see Prince a s a point fwd when he's on the floor...as long as he's not going iso for 20 seconds and throwing the ball to someone at last minute...He was good in all phases tonight and must be used ONLY 30 minutes a game. Ive been saying he's our perfect 6th man for 5 years and yet...O well...
  14. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

This team gave up 115 pts to this same team last week: LET THIS BE A LESSON TO YOU ALL! YOU NEVER EVVVVER SHOW YOUR TRUE GAME IN EXHIBITION SEASON-ITS PRACTICE!!!!!

NO MORE REQUESTS FOR CHAT ROOM OR TV GAMES!! :pound:

Especially the team you are opening the season with.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I was thinking that when I saw Ben Gordon run the point for a couple possessions last night. When BG is running the point, just make Tay a point forward to help him out. Together, it may be a workable solution.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I think that will be our closing lineup. In a tight game are you really going to sit Ben Gordon?? You think Rip will sit there quietly on the bench?? And for some reason coaches feel some strange obligation to make sure Tay is on the court at the end of ball games, that leaves a lineup of BG, Rip, and Tay, either Tay is PtForw or we're playing small ball.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

We had a few medium ball lineups going last night without Tay, which is the preferred way to do it.

Stuck/Bengo/Rip/Ben/Kwame. It was something like that. Need 2 bigs down low at all times on D to give our guards a chance to stay with their man. We have so many of them and they have some variance, so it shouldn't be tough to do. If you want up tempo, go Maxiell and Wilcox. To slow it down, Ben and Kwame. If you want to stretch the D and drag an opposing big out of the paint, go with CV.
  18. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

But we won't close games without Tay. I agree I think our 3 guard attack is our best attack, but in the last 4-5mins of the 4th, Tay is going to be on the floor.

It's nice to have that many options isn't it :)
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I would rather kiss a swinging sledgehammer than watch Tay play the point ever again.

With 4 capable guards (plus Chucky in reserve) there is no reason why we would need to have Tay play P-F. NONE.

We were good last night because we played at a fast pace. Tayshaun is not that type of player. He needs to get the ball open, on the move, and in rhythm. He does not need the ball well guarded at the 3 point arc.
  20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

So who's our closing lineup? That means Ben G is going to be our closing PG, because I would have a fit if he's (BenG) on the bench down the stretch of a close game.