at Memphis Wednesday October 28 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'October 2009' started by roscoe36, Oct 27, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You called this last season. You pointed out over and over, our inability to make outside shots and have a deep threat.

And you were right. And Gordon is a damn fine player. That kid can shoot. He's not a good shooter, he's exceptional.

And he wasn't too big of a liability on defense against bigger guards, or with the ball. He hustled too.

In general, I just finished saying on the excellent podcast tonight, that it was great to see a team with so much energy, and Lee pointed out how they kept working harder and getting better as the game wore on.

Now I want to see them play some real competition. :)
  2. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

Missed the game, but I'm glad that they won.

It will be fun to see what these new Pistons (including the return of Ben Wallace) look like as they mesh with Rip, Tayshaun, and Stuckey.

:stirthepot:
  3. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

They played real good tonight, great effort. I love Ben Gordan, he can shoot lights out and he's a true warrior. Ben Wallace is looking fresh too.

What surprised me was the defense. I can't wait to see them play better competition and see how they do. I'm not expecting them to always dominate, but they showed alot of good signs tonight.
  4. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Hey Micro,

Nice start to the season--been hungry for some basketball.

Yes, we had little outside shooting last year in a league where the 3 ball is part of a winning formula.

You got it. I wanted Gordon badly for the Pistons. I thought he was the best guy available in the summer and that the Bulls made a mistake letting him go.

Gordon is a pure shooter and a piece that the Pistons can be re-constructed around. And he is young. Still, it is one game but Gordon's shooting tonight was par for him. I actually was hoping he would miss last year in the playoffs so teams couldn't see his value. Can't believe we still got him after that Celtic series.

Have to wait a while to see where the Pistons are at. Memphis looked pretty woeful as did the Clippers last night.

I am worried about the big department. We seem a bit light in rebounding and shooting from our bigs--at least on paper.

But the Pistons sure look like a team that can win some games...
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Thanks for the comments, everyone. I only managed to watch most of the 1st quarter before my internet slowed down to a crawl. Looks like AT&T just trying to save $$$ so they just slowed down the connection, as about 30 minutes after I called they re-set my modem and the speed was back on. Anyway, an encouraging way to start the season. Many contributed, and the coaching was there. Nothing to complain about.
  6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

OLDSKOOL'S BLACKBOARD!!!! (random thoughts i wrote down as I watched the game vis my DVR on NBA League Pass)

- I'm happy I have league pass and didnt wait til December.............

- I get a 45% discount because I work for Time Warner Cable
    and I dont pay for internet at all

- Why do people even watch pre-season ANYTHING much less PAY for it........

- I didnt know Ben Wallace went to Eastern Wash High School...LOL..BBBBBen still did his Piston bumps on intro! I LOVE IT!!! :pound:

-cant wait for BBBBB-ben's intro friday.....

- Memphis' intro was soooooooooooooooooo whack!!

-Iverson is back in his braids...Grow up, man!!

- BBB-ben setting tone drawing offensive fouls...Havent seen that in 4 years

- Rudy Gay can be SICK!

- Rip is tight but he'll warm up...I hope

- Charlie V?/!! Oh Vay...be patient

- Here comes the bench. 4 pt play by Gordon.LMAO..Stupid!!!:pound:

-I like GonnaGETMINE and Gordon as tone setters in 2nd qtr. They are dynamite. Now Rip is HOT! Oh MY!

- MAXXXXXXXwith the power dunk. If he just didnt disappear so much

- BBBBbben brought same attitude in 3rd qtr. He needs to start and play 25 minutes a game-especially the start of 1st and 3rd qtrs

- i like how when Kwame was called for a foul,he laughed at the ref and Coach Kue pulls him over and I hope he said: "These refs wont take u seriously until u start acting like a man! Now cut out the shines and get on the block fo the free throw!"

All around, a solid game . Pistons lost this kind of game last year versus young atheletic teams and disinterests from players like LaSheeda. BBBBen wont let us take WINNABLE games loosely.

If every player STAYS accustomed TO THEIR ROLE,this can be a much better TEAM than I originally thought. Let the shooters shoot(Rip,Gordon,Charlie V,Daye) Let the hard hats play hard and use their fouls(Bynum, BBBben,Wilcox and Kwame)and let the Role players KNOW their role(Stuckey,Prince, Jerebko) . Coach Kue, enjoy your first win.

HERES MY LOGIC: If Pistons play like this for just 60!! of the 82 games, they should win 45 of them !! If they play BAD for the other 22, they should still win 5 of those.

And wouldnt we like a hard earned 50-32 season??

GRADE:A
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This game was probably very close to Joe D's fantasy of what this team would look like. Way too early to think that this will be a regular occurance.

However, if we would have blown them out with hot shooting alone, my opinion wouldn't have changed at all. But we beat them both ways tonight. If our shooting would have been cold, we would have still beat them.

I really liked the vibe of Ben instead of Sheed. Sheed was a fine player, but Ben brings back the hard work, energy, and defensive effort. When there are a couple guys out there giving it their all on D, you look like a fool if you are caught loafing.

Stuckey and Bynum were even getting in the paint to get loose rebounds. Ben and Stuckey were harrassing the Grizz after almost every inbound. Guys were tipping out rebounds and diving for out of bounds balls (Stuck and Tay). BW was taking charges and pumping his fist afteward. We allowed almost zero fast breaks. The ones that did occur were met with Piston defenders in good position and the rest sprinting to catch up. CV was blocking shots for crying out loud.

Also, 63 points, 15 assists, 12 rebounds, and 4 turnovers from our guards???? Jeez.

I really believe that the Detroit market and fans are unique and that sort of effort is really what sells seats and gets ratings. This team could win a lot of people over if it turns out that there is no switch this year and they show this kind of energy.

Held the opponent to the lowest total of any team playing tonight by a mile.
  8. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

That's the team. Guards. Great game tonight, but I'd say you guys are busting in your pants just a bittt prematurely.
    I didn't get to see the game tonight as for some reason Fox sports here in farmington hills had a stupid college football game on! Anybody else experience that? And league pass was obviously blacked out here.

Anyway, the hustle is great. Huge. And we already knew Ben Gordon and Rip were gonna score but any ounce of success this season is going to come from some consistency at the point (I'm a big bynum fan) and the emergence of a quality big (I don't see that coming from anyone currently on the squad). Ben Wallace makes the team worth watching, and was an incredible acquisition, and will play an important albeit limited role. Charlie will be needed to fill a major role, but the pistons need a quality lead big. At least a legit rebounder who plays D.

Until there is stability at the 1 and 5 positions a game like this is gonna be the climax of the season.
  9. roscoe36

You needed to see this game. Yes, it is only one game. Yes, we might lose our next 10. But tonight, the Pistons played like contenders. They worked their asses off, they ran their asses off and they fought all the way to the end, even with a 20+ point lead.

It was truly something to behold. If you were a Pistons fan from 2002~2003, this game reminded me of that era. Goin to work for realz.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I concur wholeheartedly....before tonights game there was uncertainty how we would perform, what chemistry would be there and if the coach knew what he was doing. We still don't know for certain what this teams destiny is, but we did get a chance to cheer tonight, be a positive side of a blowout, and have hope that our coach can actually coach.....at least against Memphis...
  11. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thanks to the Grizz for... uhh... being the Grizz.
    Nice sharing tonight... particularly Bynum... better than expected.

Stuckey should be a star player by next year... squelching the critics.

It might be wise to keep this game in perspective.:loser:
  12. HarryFWong

HarryFWong First Round Draft Pick

Who needs to watch when you can read the LeeCap? I hope my stupid cable gets the stations right for the next game. I did listen on the clock radio, however. (Nba doesn't allow internet radio streaming of games!)

Anyway, subpar talent + heart > talent + no heart. I feel you. That's why I was calling to pull the JYD out of retirement.
  13. roscoe36

Harry, NBA Pass is free until next Monday if you are in Canada or the US. That means audio and video league pass. Tonight, I watched my first game in High Def on my laptop. It was awesome.
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well, of all the possible scenarios for this game, a blowout was the last one I would have picked. And it was fun to watch too. Yeah, Memphis played like a bunch of guys who had never met each other before, but I don't care.

- Loved that nine Pistons played in the first quarter

- Absolutely loved that only two guys played more than 30 minutes, one being Prince at only 31.5. Other being Hamilton at 36.2.

- Pistons were outrebounded, but nearly all of that came from offensive boards, and with the shooting disparity, Memphis just had a boatload more chances.

- Actual defense was played. Decent rotations, and they stayed competitive defensively without any real lapses.

- Stuckey is still struggling a bit to fit in. I'm not sure he's on the same page.

- Prince got some easy shots early, but then gave up on trying to get to the basket. I don't have a handle yet after one game on how this new offense works.

- Marc Gasol is far more of a center than his brother. With a decent big man coach he could be old school.

- Popcorn Machine has completely redesigned their website. Same stuff, but the homepage now looks like something from the early 00s rather than the mid 90s.
  15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Very encouraging win.
    ...yeah, it's the Grizz but it was good to see the team clicking at this level. With the way they played, I think they coulda/woulda beat anyone in the league last night! - Hope it lasts.

Also encouraging for me was the 3 on 1 fast break toward the end of the 1st quarter (I think). A couple of quickie touch passes and a finish by Rip. That's the kind of fast break opportunity that used to end up thrown out of bounds or with the opposing team taking a charge.

I went to sleep last night with my favorite team tied for the best record in the league. - Hell yeah!
  16. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great game to watch. This is what I was hoping for this season, a completely different team to learn and love. My one description is this is the Bizzaro Curry World.

Last year the team looked disinterested and the chemistry was horrible. Last night everyone actually seemed to be ENJOYING themselves and it showed in the stats.

First, I get sick of people saying we have sub par talent. Yes, the roster may be imbalanced, but we have All Stars, DPOY, rookie of the years, 6th men of the year, NBA Champions, NCAA Champions, and a lot of lottery picks.

Second, the coaching is GOOD. Now I know why the Cleveland fabs were upset we got Q, and from the looks of Cleveland he may have had more to do with that team than we thought. The defesnive rotations were excellent as was pionted out. Players knew exactly were to go. The pick and roll defense was superb as the weakside big switched to the strongside forward as the other big showed hard on the guard. These are all signs of good coaching. Plus, the rotations were mixed up and the best mix of players on the court at all times. I LOVED Q keeping CV on the bench for the rest of the 1st half because the defesne was awesome and there was no reason to insert him back - even though at that point he only had 2 fouls. Most coachs put their starter in regardless. The vibe I get from him too is that the players like playing for him, the anti-Curry. Just the interactions he had on the bench and then all the players with the hugfest at the end. Maybe Joe got it right.

Finally, in the NBA I think the most important skill is if your team can shoot from ALL ranges. Boy, can we shoot. Between BG, Rip, and CV we have superior shooters at the 2 and 4 spot. Tay is a solid shooter at the three. Finally, Stuckey hit some outside shots which make me think his offseason work paid off. We have shooters at all positions except center. Should be an interesting year to say the least.

Go Pistons
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Gasol really did look like he took a step up over the summer. Our bigs may be offensively limited, but Kwame, Ben, and Wilcox are not easy to score against. Gasol knocked CV out of the game within minutes and then spent the rest of the game banging in the paint with a lot of success.

Maybe if he's lucky, the Grizz will gift wrap him and send him over to LA.
  18. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Last season, this game would be a nail biter til the end the last 10 seconds of the game. GREAT WIN to start the season.

BIG BEN doesn't look that BIG anymore but still plays BIG on the defensive end.

Among our 'BIGS' consisting of Big Ben, Kwame, Wilcox, Max and CV, we were 10%(1-10) from the FT line. URGH!!!! Other teams will HACK-A-PISTON BIG soon.

However, a WIN is still a WIN, we are 1-0 and Cavs are 0-2.....
  19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I barely got to see any of the game last night, just a few minutes of garbage time, but it sounds like an encouraging start. If the coaching and chemistry are there this season, that can definitely make up for some of the more obvious roster imbalances.

We saw last season how big a step back you can take when the coaching and chemistry go in the tank, even when your overall talent level doesn't change much. So hopefully this team can mesh and grow together into something pretty solid.
  20. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That will just fire them up.

What is up with Kwame's FT's though? His baseline jumper is looking very Elden Campbell-esque lately. Maybe he needs to shoot jump shots from the stripe.