At Memphis March 3rd, 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2007' started by Dlev59, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

At Memphis March 3rd, 8:00 PM
    TV - FSN Detroit (Local) NBALP

The Pistons travel to Memphis for the second game of a back to back to face a disgruntled Pau Gasol and the Grizzlies. I am sure Pau would have been pleased to be a Bull right now, however, he must play out this season at least, with the woeful Griz.

2. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Had to make an emergency trip to Detroit, leaving on a 12:20 flight. So. I will be able to watch this one on local TV.

I will be without a computer, so enjoy chat folks. Hopefully we have awaken and will play a full 48 minutes tonight. Pau will probably still hit 35.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Have a safe trip Dlev.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good luck - took me five hours to get out of Chicago yesterday.

To some extent I don't really care if the Pistons win tonight, but I really want to see them come out mad. I want errors of comission and a complete lack of smooth. I want everybody's eyes to look like Webber's, but from a lack of sleep.

5. roscoe36

Pistons nearly erase 19-point deficit, but Heat hang on
    Flip Saunders has announced the starting lineup for tonight's game against Memphis.

Sam Cassell, Wally Sczerbiak, Latrell Sprewell, Kevin Garnett and Michael Olowakandi will get the start for Detroit with Antonio McDyess and Maurice Evans coming off the bench.

Everyone else will be celebrating Tayshaun turning 27 years and 2 days old.

6. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

If Sheed doesn't play we have no one to stop Gasol.

7. roscoe36

8. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

9. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

i no get it...........:sssh:

10. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Pistons eke out a close win with some clutch play from Tay and Dice in the last couple of minutes. Tay caught fire at just the right time, and he even hit a miraculous prayer 3 at the shot clock buzzer with about a minute left. Pistons executed pretty well on offense, for the most part, but they kept the Grizz in it by giving up far too many offensive boards. Kudos to Delfino for coming back from some early bricks to hit a couple of big jumpers early in the 4th, just when it looked the Grizz might start to pull away a bit.

11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Another very good game from Rip Hamilton and McDyess on both ends of the court, this time with some contributions from Chauncey as well. Tayshaun hit a couple of baseline jumpers late and got extremely lucky on two pull-up fadeaways as well. Webber did some good things but missed a number of shots, clearly missing the attention opposing teams give Rasheed.

Maxiell contributed virtually nothing as a starter, Delfino scored all 7 points in the second half, Lindsey contributed two triples and a steal, and Nancy racked up 4 fouls in less than 9 minutes (23 per 48, slightly ahead of his yearly pace of 8 per 48).

Terrible rebounding against an awful rebounding team with a lot of energy. Sounds familiar.

12. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

It's amazing to me how bottom feeder teams can look all-world against the Pistons but a win is a win. There really aren't going to be many easy wins for the Pistons in March with them being road warriors. The Grizz are a pretty decent team despite their wretched record. They didn't have Chucky tonight and he's a much better guard than Damon Stoudamire who can't drive, can't shoot but does dish a bit. Did Flip Murray get in this game for a few seconds or is the box score over at Yahoo sports just whacked? I was happy to see SuperDupe get in for a minute to reward him for working so hard in practice. Tay was the man tonight even though he's not a rebounding fool he hit some clutch shots. Dice is playing at the top of his game right now and it's just nice to get our next winning streak underway tonight.

13. max

max All-Star

Close enough for everyone?

That was a game in which Memphis controlled it up to the mid-4th or so. Played at their pace and the Pistons could not seem to get a rebound at times.

Sometimes all it takes is for one guy like Prince stepping up in crunch time and deciding that we are not going to lose today.

Take the win and get out of town.

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good finish, lots of heroics. Tay makes a clockshot expiring 3 with one hand, then nails a two next time down. Rip had that drive in with a bit of a circus finish. CB nailed a triple a bit before that, and Tay another a bit before that.

Maxiell started, but did not play a whole lot, partially due to foul trouble. Still more than average for him of late though. He played plenty good enough D on Gasol. Maybe a bit light on the boards, but you know, even if you get the offensive board, Maxiell still is not going to let you score.

Dyess played some pretty good D on Gasol himself, and generally is looking several years younger of late, if judging by his ups. Dyess hit one outside shot and gave us some inside scoring. And bounds. Pretty good game for him.

Webber had what, 13 points, 7 bounds, and 5 assists. Just maybe he played a bit too much in that 2nd half though, especially after 40 plus minutes the night before. Someone tell Flip the obvious. A guy who has not been playing much is never in condition to have an explosion of minutes. SOmething is going to give out on this guy. Quit overplaying Webber. Now. Not after he gets injured.

Tay scored plenty this game, and Billups had his shot going too, although not that well on the threes. Just maybe his legs are a bit dead this mid-season.

Delfino played some good D, and even hit a few shots. Which means, yes, they actually let him shoot more than his usual shot or two.

Hunter did about nothing, except for one steal late in the game just before he was subbed for. Certainly not enough to keep regular minutes.

Dale Davis played just a bit, about 4 minutes to end the first half. Nothing much to say. Mohammed played a bit more than that and was effective enough against Gasol.

Rip made some good passes in transition in this game.

Other than a brief 10 point lead enjoyed by the Pistons mid-2nd quarter, this game stayed very close. Ten players were used in the rotation, and even Dupree got in for a minute to end the 1st quarter. All in all, not bad use of the bench by Flip. GO PISTONS!!!!!

15. roscoe36

microcap

Without Sheed, it ain't easy.

But the Pistons get it done, in Memphis at the FedEx Forum (or whatever).

Delfino was horrible early, better late.

Webber was good in flashes, early on he took a lot of missed jumpers.

I missed Maxiell playing early but apparently he didn't do much except make a nice dunk and foul. He did start. That was a waste of time.

Rip played quite well, and Hunter hit some triples. Tay was really good finishing. Against a smaller Memphis lineup, he wasn't exposed so much for being light in the pants.

I love the way Nazr spins his elbows around after grabbing a defensive board. It's Mutumbo-esque. One day, he is going to knock out someone's teeth. :)

Dale Davis looked really ineffective to me although he may have been able to help us on the boards.

Billups, Billups .... I don't have a lot good to say about Chauncey. For every 4 good plays, he will make one boneheaded one and annoy me. He had a solid game, nothing spectacular.

Antonio McDyess played a superb game, while the stat line doesn't reflect it, and he did commit many of his trademark goofy fouls, McDyess blocked 5 shots, and nearly recorded a double double off the bench. He made big defensive plays, hustled, got physical and hit shots. He moved his feet and stayed involved. My player of the game for Detroit.

Side note: Tay had a spectacular block on Junior Harrington during a fast break. I hope it makes the NBA highlight package.

Kudos to Flip for playing with his lineup. He started Maxiell against the smaller Grizzlies team, and when that was not working, he used Mohammed and Davis a little as well. Understand that Flip played 11 men in a 3 point win. He actually brought Ronald Dupree in during the 1st quarter, which is as out of character as Tim Hardaway hugging a gay man.

We got beat on the boards, committed too many fouls and shot poorly from the free throw line, but beat the Grizz with savvy and some defensive intimidation.

For Memphis, Mike Miller was spectacular and we are lucky that Pau Gasol did not become a Bull because he has a lot of game in the paint (offensively). Tony Barone (sounds like baloney) the new Memphis coach has them running, with the hope that the kids will develop faster if they get to score, and that the pace will wear out veteran teams. I think he is doing a good job with a poor roster. Hopefully he gets the job fulltime next season.

Also, the thin as a rail Hakim Warrick played a decent game as well off the bench for Memphis. He's a very light, non-physical but very fast, forward, tweening between the 3 and the 4.

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

A squeaker tonight. They built a 10 point lead early in the second only to see the Grizz close it out on a 23-13 run to tie it at the half 49-49, However, Pistons outshoot the grizz 53-38?? for the half??:confused:

Pistons open the third in a funk but manage to hang around until finally taking control of the game with 4 mins left. A key block by Dice starts the run as the Pistons finally stop the Grizz on 3 consecutive trips down the court and Tay hits the miracle three to beat the 24 second time clock. Grizz still refuse to throw out the white flag and go down shooting in the end with missed three ball at the nd to tie it. Whew! we eek out another one but a win is a win no matter how ugly.

The Pistons gave up way to many offensive rebounds to the Grizz. I hate to say it but they really miss Sheed, especially Cwebb and mr BS. I am glad he is mending and hopefully is ready by the Cavs game next Thursday. The starting combo of Davis and Max hasn't worked yet, so Flip may as well try Nasty. I wish AJ was here and dressed. Perfect time to throw him out there with the warrior athleticism next week. Dice is definitely the six man of the month so far, so leave him there for the bench energizer.

Five out of the last six Piston games were decided by 5 points or less. (one blowout in the mix there with a 110-88 win over Orlando.) I am not sure if this means that Flip has finally figured out how to win these or not as they did lose the Heat game last night by 3. Either way we have had some Labrons (read nailbiters :nailbiting: ) the last week or so.

17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Oh no you didn't...:sssh: :laugh:

18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dyess is really jumping well since he got in game shape. I absolutely love the way he is playing right now with the shot blocking and hard rebounding. He gets less respect than anyone in the NBA with the refs though.

Delfino- I just want him to do well, but standing in the corner and waiting for the shot is not his bag. He's battling all the time on the boards and on defense, but we need to get him more involved in the offense... or at least get him involved in a better way.

All in all, that was a pretty fun game to watch. Memphis was playing very hard for having nothing to play for.

I really think Chicago should have found a way to get that Gasol trade done. Hinrich, Deng, Nocioni, Wallace, and Gasol would be really dangerous.

19. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dyss is indeed playing well. Good to see Delfino hit some shots. Tay is a big-time shooter. Why we don't let him spot up more often I don't know.

Still wondering if we are using Billips to our advantage in the offense.

It is tougher without Sheed.

20. max

max All-Star

As some of you noted. Mohammed has been playing good off the bench. Perhaps the pressures of starting and what we expected of our starting center were too much for him. He seems to be playing so much more relaxed now.