At Memphis Grizzlies Jan.19th, 5:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 16, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just found it. You're right David Aldridge reported it. Is he reliable? IIRC he is.

Here's the article;

Time may not be on Schwartz's side | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

2. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

did alridge went on to do a poll between players???? How does he know??
    Its a quote from alridge, not a player or curry or dumars..
    He is assuming The players want RIP...
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He is not assuming because there is no question, none. How can you question that? There is no question, none. I feel like you're still questioning it. Stop it.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I gotta agree with TaS because we have no proof that Aldridge wasn't straight (The McCosky Principle).

Of course, it never mattered what the players wanted. This isn't a communist basketball team. There is no democracy. People do what Joe, and by extension Curry want, or they move on. These guys are paid to do a job, and it isn't running the franchise.
  5. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Finally got to watch a Pistons game. Not a real good game to watch. Memphis is struggling, and Curry played some strange lineups.

On whether to start Rip or AI, I couldn't judge from the game, but based on the substitutions, it seemed like Curry was setting Rip to look bad, so he could have an excuse to start AI. Rip never got a chance to play with a "normal" lineup. The closest he came was in the 4th when Dice and Sheed played, but AI was playing the point.

And I just don't get it, it's obvious our best lineup is Stuckey, Rip or AI (not both), Tay, Dice, and Sheed. But that lineup only played 7 minutes together? :nerd2:
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That's the isht I'm talking about right there.
  7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

straight up, noam. this raises so many issues.

on the one hand, it reminds me of times when i would consult with my kids to get their input on an issue. i'd always weigh their opinions seriously, but sometimes i'd still come out making a decision different than what they wanted. i can see that the point of a team meeting would be to allow voices to be aired and if it was explicitly stated in advance that that was the point and that airing voices is not the same as a one-player one-vote decision making process, then i don't have a problem with it per se.

to state the obvious, an NBA basketball team is not run according to democratic principles of any kind. i wish it were. or rather, i wish that it were run through a consensus decision making process, which of course would preclude existing hierarchical distinctions among participants (coach, GM, owner, captain, etc.). but it ain't that way. And, given that it's not that way, i don't see the problem with calling a meeting to see where people are at so long as its clear up front who has the decision making power.
  8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Not so sure that Dice and Sheed on the floor together gives us our best lineup. :D
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

why do people keep thinking the pistons had a little pow-wow on the plane, took a democratic vote, asked the players their input, etc?

simply put, if anyone 'met' it was the coaches and joe d.
  10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Thank you. I'm so sick of reading folks crazy posts it ain't even funny no more.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

These crazy posts are people discussing something that was REPORTED by a TNT reporter, and even before that discussing something that was mentioned on a NATIONAL broadcast during the game. I think the fact that they might have had a TEAM VOTE to decide something that the the coach should have decided months ago warrants discussion.

David Aldridge is not Steven A. Smith and he's not making things up or reporting Player A wants to go the Knicks every week.

If the coach had to have a team vote to make a decision and said team vote was not the actual decision or even the act itself of asking the players i think we have many more problems than just the rotation.
  12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I WATCHED the game, Aldridge never said anything about a team vote, his statements have been taken COMPLETELY out of context and silly inferences have been made, DA was stating that the people who make the DECISIONS on who starts and who comes off the bench would meet and decide, this was NEVER some team vote BS!!! People heard what they wanted to hear and ran with it. If there was to be a team vote Scoop Aldridge would not have been the one to break it. He has a vague quote from Joe and MC that people are running with.
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I didn't say that David Aldridge said that. I said a TNT reporter or someone on the national broadcast did. And i myself said that i read it in this thread and another thread on RealGM. So if it's taken out of context then so be it. It's been plastered everywhere.

The only link i found was the DA one and i don't think he's reporting out of thin air.

If this decision was made by Curry and there was no team vote, then that's a MUCH better scenario. It negates the players preference (if that is true), and lessens the possible chemistry problems that could occur. Rip handling it the way he is goes a long way in smoothing everything over.
  14. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

David Alridge was the sideline reporter FYI and I just posted a better statement about what he said.... and I really think some of the other sites really had selective hearing on this one. Sorry if my first post from a couple hours ago wasn't more clear.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just went back and read your post and saw that you did say that DA was the sideline reporter. Your post itself stated that it wasn't necessarily the players. My mistake for saying someone mentioned it in the other thread. The other posts i read where i got the DA quote implied that that it was a meeting of the players. Hearing a rough version of what was actually stated, i don't see how all the sites got that out of the quote.

The fact that this was not the case which is what i get from that quote makes the situation much better. Curry was the one who needed to make the decision. Hopefully his waffling previously didn't cause damage to his "power: in the lockerroom.
  16. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

THANK YOU. no one EVER said anything about a player meeting or a player vote. people are making things up and taking things out of context. sure Aldridge is a respected guy but he never said half the things people are claiming he did. this misinformation getting passed around is annoying.
  17. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

So when is the team going to elect a new coach?

:hoops:
  18. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

i heard from my mothers aunts best friends minister that they voted on duel coaches.... roscoe and low....

roscoe gets to coach the def and low the offense
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

So they just threw out all those straws?
  20. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

well in that case, in the words of the immortal Mrs. Emily Litella, "nevermind" (my little anarchist rant).

emily latella - Google Video

emily latella - Google Video