At Memphis Grizzlies Jan.19th, 5:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'm pretty sure they said nothing of the sort
  2. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

:pound:
  3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

yeah i'm still looking this up, lol
  4. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

We didn't lose because Chauncey was our PG. Against Cleveland, yeah, but not last year.
  5. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

i'm not sayin they were a contender last year...but the conference was stronger last year....nene was hurt all year...kmart is fully healthy now...karl concentrated more on defense this year...they have a top 5 shot blocker of the bench in the birdman...and the jazz have played the whole season without either boozer or dwill...

Billups has helped them but dont make it seem like the Nuggets are a title contender this year and were a lottery team last year with ai
  6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That vote will be taken after Wednesdays game if they lose to the struggling Raptors...:stirthepot:
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The Stons were 10-2 with Rip in the line up without AI including the pre-season. 4-0 to start the year. Do we really need to put AI in street clothes to see if the team can play as well without AI. :gaah:

I think the team would be just as good with one or the other. The key is we can be BETTER with BOTH of them. The coach just needs to make the adjustement to get the most he can out of each of them and the players with them on the floor in order for us to get to where we all want to be.

In my opinion it is not so much about AI or Rip getting theirs; it is about making the second unit better then maybe even they think they can be. :idea:
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

No team in the league is sorrier of late than Memphis. Yet our small ball unit could not compete with them. That should tell Curry something. Now, I did not catch directly what was said, but the national announcers were pretty convinced that we were ending small ball. My opinion - have Rip come off the bench. Have Rip come in early for Stuckey, and then start the 2nd quarter along side Stuckey.

Our guards had great games, all three of them, as far as shooting percentage. Rip missed his only shot in the first quarter but then made about 6 straight in the 2nd. AI scored 27 on excellent shooting, never taking a bad shot. Stuckey took some questionable shots, but also made some outside shots and got to the basket some. He's starting to make the easy layup at the end of the nice drives in. But of course, all this was against Memphis this evening, and not much defensive pressure was seen by any of the three.

Sheed did terrible shooting. Maybe because Memphis starts two big centers? And Sheed was called upon to contend with both all by his lonesome? Just another reason why small ball does not work.

We played Kwame a bit in the first half. He did not do much really, just helped limit how much small ball we played, nothing more. Maxiell got plenty of minutes, did ok. Bynum got some run to start the 2nd quarter - doing nothing more than lessening the minutes of some of our other guards - which is still important of course.

Amir did not play. Herrmann did not play. Afflalo played a bit, not much, did not do much.

The game was finally won in the 4th, playing a fairly suitable unit. Dyess and Sheed were paired up front for the whole quarter. I guess we found one team at least sorry enough that we can get away with this. Memphis barely scored. Much of the quarter, neither did we. But AI gave us just enough to get the win.

Altogether, we played 10 guys, beat a team that any team can beat, and hopefully, most importantly, said good-bye to small ball.

Oh and Tay did zilch.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  9. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If you have to include the pre-season in your argument, it really doesn't matter what you say after that. It's all nonsense. The Lions were 4-0 in the pre-season.
  10. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

That was why I followed that with 4-0 in regular season before AI. The whole "we were playing well while Rip was out" argument makes no sense because the same opportunity has not been given with AI out (except those 12 or 4 games).
  11. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons were 6-2 (.750) with Rip out and 17-15 (.531) with Rip playing. I'm sure there are other factors for the wins and losses as well.
  12. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

I'm not arguing that the Pistons could maybe play as well with AI out and Rip playing...but that hasnt really be proven yet but it has been proven that the starting lineup of ai and stuck with two bigs and tay does work well
  13. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The TNT guys spent part of inside discussing this.

Webber reiterated why he believes AI should come off the bench; same reason most people give. And Kenny said Rip should come off the bench. His reasoning was basically AI's ego can't handle it, and Rip would handle it better and not mess up team chemistry.

Regardless, a decision will be made and it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    I think you can take that 3rd quarter in the NO's game and put it on repeat, and that's how the Pistons would play with AI out. It doesn't have to be "proven". We saw 2 games earlier this year w/o AI, and they were both fine. I think the coaching staff knows that either combination would produce around the same results (defense aside) and the main problem is that they can't play together.
  14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Amazing how people can not see that as long as our roster is as imbalanced as it is, who starts doesn't matter. Listen People, WE HAVE TOO MANY SG's ON THE TEAM AND ONLY 1 PG AND 1 SF!!!!!

C'mon folks y'all can't be this oblivious. LPGRL wants to take a sample size of 1qtr and compare it to a sample size of 9 games!!!!!! Give me a frigging break!!!! Had AI been on the pine for those 9 games and we played the way we did, I'd be advocating for him to be traded RIGHT NOW!!!!

I'm done, I'll cheer for my team, but I'm done here...the arguments are starting to get ridiculous in nature and it's nerve racking to say the least.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Hopefully this is my last report on the SB situation. It has been an amazingly consistent pattern this year and tonight was no exception.

Tonight, SB was employed for 22:58 and was breakeven.

BB got 25:02 and was +8 on the night.

I'm actually amazed that there haven't at least been a few games where the opposite was true and we could actually wonder if maybe MC is on to something. But it is really something how the difference between the 2 styles shows clear separation every single game. For the season, the gap must be several hundred points by now.

From a big ball standpoint, the 4th quarter showed something that was incredibly refreshing to me. We were dominating the glass and we actually got in the penalty early in the quarter. At least 6 free throws were taken as a result of getting defensive rebounds and getting fouled while doing it.

In the 3rd quarter, we played all 12:00 as SB and got out rebounded 13 to 9 and out free throwed 13 to 4.

In the 4th quarter, we played all but 40 seconds as BB and outrebounded Mem 14 to 10 and got 10 FT's to their 2. You could say that we finally won a game by dominating the 4th quarter. Memphis had 30 points in the 3rd against our SB and they had 10 points in the 4th against the great defensive wall of Tay, Dyess, and Sheed.

SO LONG SMALL BALL, WE'RE ALL GOING TO MISS YOU SO MUCH!!! :crying:
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

TaShawn, you do great work. Here's one for ya, what are our stats when we play BB with AI-but minus Rip, and when we play BB with Rip- but minus AI???? If you know the answer to that, The Pistons owe you some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is answerable, but it would take a little while. I would have to think that MC already has that information. For us, we would have to scan through the game flows and tally up each stint.

In tonight's game for example:

BB with AI only- 12:29 and +10
    BB with Rip only- 2:50 and breakeven

So, Rip ends up in SB more often because he can play the 3 and he didn't appear very often during BB. The same holds true for AA, because of his ability to play the 3 in SB situations.

I'll consider this project later when I have an hour block with nothing to do. Need sleep. Don't want to start off the week like a zombie b/c of my obsession with trying to help MC see the light.
  18. Menace

Menace Bench Warmer

19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

WEEEEEEEEEE ARE THE CHAAAMPIOOOOONS... MY FRIIIIEE-ENDS! AND WEEEEEEE'LL KEEP ON FIIIIIIGH-TING TILL THE EEEEEEND!

[​IMG]
  20. raxrets

raxrets Starter

For me is more disturbing how big drama has been made IN TEAM who should sit or not: voting and all... Normally coach just announces his lineup before the game and that's it.