At Memphis Grizzlies Jan.19th, 5:30 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 16, 2009.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lets just hope this win over the Grizzlies doesn't give MC false hope that it will work and he decides to continue with this ill fated experiment. TNT hammered into the audience that a change was acoming and it wasn't just Obama....

The czar and Dick Stockon talked about it, Ernie, Kenny and C-webb talked about it and then David Aldridge interviewed MC about it...he seem tentative but supposedly a diplomatic decision was supposed to be made aboard [STRIKE]Airforce One[/STRIKE]er, I mean RoundBall one tonight on the way back to Detroit.
  2. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

someone correct me if my information is bad, but i heard this was being decided by a TEAM VOTE?

What good can possibly come out of this? Is Coward Curry completely deflecting personal responsibility onto his players to make the tough decisions?
  3. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Yes they do look depressed. Why can't our beat writers get any quotes off the record?

Yes, it seems like Chris was on a soapbox today.
  4. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You gotta be kidding me. I missed that. It's going to be decided democratically? Did they vote when Stuckey was made the starter or CB traded?

Please tell me this is not true.
  5. NYPistonFan729

Dumars/Curry cannot be that stupid. But one never knows for sure.
  6. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

I'm asking this because so many people have said it. What would you all do if Allen said:

I won't be here next year anyway, so start Richard. I'm just a rental and capspace.

Would you laugh or get mad?
  7. NYPistonFan729

That would be cool with me. Allen needs to come off the bench anyway. This season is fast becoming a disaster. I do not know why it has taken so long to make a decision. I really feel that stuckey has been hurt in all of this mess. Whose going to be our next coach after Wednesday?
  8. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I agree with what you are saying which brings me to my next point. I know it doesn't happen very often (in fact maybe never) but what if our substitutions bring in more then one player at a time. Bring the guards in as pairs.

Start Stuck and Rip and bring in AI and AA as a pair. This gives them the opportunity to get accustomed to playing together quicker (in case AI is a rental).

The other thing I think that is getting lost is not the fact that it is either AI or Rip but that it should NEVER be AI, Rip AND Stuckey. I have no problem having AI play point with Rip at the 2. Let AI feed Rip off the screens as the number one option but also be able to create if need be. Let AA get some of Tay's minutes and never play Sheed and Dice together. The two of them should always be paired with AJ or Max (Brown against the biggest line ups).

There are plenty of minutes for everybody if we get away from the three of them being on the floor together. It may not be 40 minutes each but none of them need to play that many anyways.

:lecturer:
  9. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

HAHAHAHA wow that part about what Matt Harpring said had me rollin..

But it's obvious Webber is still bitter because I've watched pretty much every AI games since he got into the league..and that Robot comment makes no sense..were Melo, camby, and jr smith robots last year..yea they lost in the 1st round but they still won 50 games when the west was arguably the toughest its ever been...and they're problem was their d not offense..

what about when Rip was out...when Stuckey, Prince, and AA were playing their best bball..were they robots?? For real some people it seems like the comments they make are based off of how Iverson played like 10 years ago...

I'm hoping Rip goes to the bench but I have a feeling it will be ai...

yea that makes alot since lol...he was 3rd in the lg in scoring last year but they're thinking about putting him on the bench..hahah that just sounds so dumb to me..
  10. Delfino Delivers

I think Chris was explaining the make up of the team the last time AI got to the playoffs and when he was playing his personal best. Not the most recent history.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Very good post. I don't like AA getting taken out of the rotation. I'm not even going to get into Amir's DNP which was probably due to missing a "defensive assignment" b/c we all the other players never do that.
  12. The Palace Artest

guys, seriously, i'm more on AI's side than i am on Rip's side, but lets get real.

For some years now, the Nuggets have been playing clown ball. They tone it down this year, and Anthony's numbers falls off a cliff? Iverson's numbers spiked too when it came to being a more efficient offensive player, as a result of going to Denver (even taking less shots than he was in Philly).

This year they are playing Billups ball. Everyone's numbers take a hit, but as a result of that, the Nuggets are actually a contender. Last year, they were just some disjointed sideshow without a true point guard or a good HC. This year they at least have leadership at one of those spots.

If it were up to me to make a decision, I would say that the main reason that AI was 3rd in scoring last year was because of that circus atmosphere he played in, not because that he's still as good as he's ever been. i don't buy that.
  13. roscoe36

Billups folds in big games, so it's irrelevant. Denver making it to the 2nd or 3rd round is an improvement. For us, it is treading water or taking a step back.

Chauncey does what he does very well. He can be the model of consistent excellence. He just doesn't have what it takes to reach a new level when the stakes are high. That intangible "stuff" that guys like Ginobili or Kobe or Wade have, that sheer force of will, ability to make something out of nothing.

Theoretically, that is what AI is supposed to provide us with. An X-Factor.
  14. Delfino Delivers

I would like to see AJ and AI get some kind of chemistry. I really thik that AI can set up AJ and make him a more productive player offensively. Either by driving and dishing or putting shots up that don't clang off the rim to allow for rebounds in close.

AI and AA are always looking to push the ball and that fits right in with AJ's game. They could be an effective unit together given some minutes to gel.
  15. The Palace Artest

Billups folded in one big game against Boston (game 3). And in another where he shot poorly, but did other things to help us win game 4...

The reason why we lost to Boston wasn't because Chauncey Billups was our PG. Hell, PG was the only position that we were at an advantage. But enough about the Billups talk.
  16. Jewelz0376

Jewelz0376 First Round Draft Pick

Hmmm the Nuggets last year at this time was 24-15 and theyre 27-15 this year...and all of a sudden they're a contender?? maybe u can explain that to me cuz i dont see it

And I never said AI is "as good as he's ever been"...obviously he's not in his prime..but he's still capable of being a top 5 scorer in this league...and If there's person out there who doesn't think that they dont know basketball...

You don't send a player like that to the bench especially when the best ball the pistons have played all year was when it was stuck,tp,sheed/kwame,amir and AI starting......not rip...
  17. Star Jones

Star Jones First Round Draft Pick

And if he hadn't been 3rd last year in Denver, 7th the first year in Denver, while scoring 26.3 and 2nd his last full year in Philly with 33 ppg and 1st with 30.7 the year before, I'd actually believe that he's lost a step.

He hasn't lost a step, he's gained teammates that he can trust.
  18. roscoe36

You can't have 9 points, no rebounds and 1 assist in 43 minutes in an elimination game against Boobie Gibson and consider yourself an elite player.

You can't average 2.5 assists in in 4 straight losses while playing 45 MPG, and consider yourself an elite playoff point guard.

Don't get me started on the Heat series. :(
  19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

ESPN says that they're drawing straws, not voting and that it's not because Curry doesn't want to make a decision, but because they're going green. Apparently Amir drinks a lot of juice boxes and the straws are left over. Bill and Joe D have made recycling a priority this year.

Where ever Memphis plays makes The Palace seem lively.

It's weird how subtle the runs are against the small lineup. It feels like DET is dominating the games and you look and they're up 2-4 points.

I "good" 3 tonight, 10 "bad" ones by DET.

Dyess and Sheed closed the game tonight pretty well. I wonder how Hakim Warrick feels about being lumbering C?

Kenny Smith went the Round route and said Tay should come off the bench. DET had a ready made excuse with Rip coming back from injury to make a switch. Seems like they wasted a week.
  20. The Palace Artest

Nobody called him an elite player. Hell I never even meant to turn this into a Billups debate thread :laugh:. I just make a point that with Billups, Denver is a more structured team than they were with Iverson, and everyone's numbers have dropped.

And he was being bodied up by Larry Hughes' defense. BTW

EDIT: And to address that other point from another poster, Denver was a fake contender last year. Don't be blinded by their 50 wins to think that they were anything other than a hot mess.