at LA Lakers Tuesday November 17 10:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 2, 2009.

1. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

I can not stand Kwame Brown. He is such a scrub, can this guy just stay on his feet and catch a damn pass? Sorry, had to vent my feeling on Kwame somewhere... haha. Pistons playing well so far though. The defense is holding up, I'm surprised.
  2. HelloIDistance

WILL BYNUM FOR MVP. Seriously though, what a find by JoeD. Another one of his diamond in the rough type players if you ask me. This guy is legit.

Highlights of the game: Maxiel's block and reaction on Shannon Brown. Coming in at a close second is Will Bynum's soaring block on Farmar. I also really liked the effort by Jerabko. He had a TOUGH assignment, but he really played with some guts and guarded Kobe pretty well. Kobe in my eyes is the best player in the league, not much you can do about him.

Lowlights of the game: Kwame Brown's horrible play. He has the basketball IQ of a five year old and can't catch anything if his life depended on it. No wonder the guy has a website dedicated to how bad he sucks. The sad thing is he is our best second option at center behind Ben. We desperately need some help in the front court, but you can't expect everything to be fixed in one year. I'm sure JoeD is going to improve the front court ASAP.

Overall I am really seeing some positives in this team though. They don't giveup on games and Will Bynum is really proving himself to be a force in the 4th quarter. As a whole, the guard play has been pretty good so far this season.
  3. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Well, crappy game...decent comeback...let's hope for a better night in Portland.

I know a lot of people there and I can't deal with a loss to the Blazer...c'mon!
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lakers needed 40 from Kobe to beat the Pistons as we had no one who stop him...

As usual the Will Bynum did his thang scoring 24 pts and handing out six assists to lead a 4th qtr comeback, but our "other" PG Joe's main man Stuckey managed only 11 pts and 1 assist. and was a -30 for the game

CV had a real bad night too going 1-6 with 2 pts

Max had one of his better games scoring 13 pts and leading the team in boards with 7...believe it or not.

Not sure if Daye was sick or not, but I know his family and friends were in attendance and he was only in the game for less than 4 minutes....he didn't even get garbage time action.

Nice fighting comeback in the 4th as they got within 7, but Phil thwarted any comeback attempt by bringing Odom and Kobe back in to help Andrew Bynum slow down his cousin Will Bynum.

Hey DP, your predicted score of 103-95 wasn't that far off.
  5. HelloIDistance

Yeah Kobe dropping 40 is pretty hard to beat. Not a bad effort on our part though, especially considering the fact that the LA front court is 10 times better than our front court.
  6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Just a bad matchup all around for us playing without Rip and Tayshaun. Lakers are way too big.

Worse part of the game, our starters were half-heartedly competing. They were going through the motions but I don't believe that they believed they could beat this team. They were like a bunch of little kids in the rec league from the suburbs, who play the kids from the hood and just scared and lose hope before the game even starts.

Best part of the game, down the end our bench (even Kwame) didn't give a _____ who they were, they went out there and fought and represented the name on that jersey. Best game from Maxiel in a long time.

Got to give the Lakers credit, they sold out defensively on our guards and were determined that our frontcourt was going to have to win this game for us, NO CHANCE! Our guards do an EXTREMELY poor job of passing out of traps partly due to their small size, (Ben and Will), Stuckey, well his is a result of an inabilty to perform the task.

Nice to see JJ and Summers get out there and fight tonight, both need to be a little more aggressive on the offensive end, can't be scared out there young fellas, play your game!
  7. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Big Ben and Kwame tied for the 2nd on the team in assists at LA. Plain scary stuff.
  8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First and foremost, I am going to repeat what I say every time about this situation. When you overuse your muscles, its not the next day it gets to you. Its the day after that. This is the day after that. Our coach saw fit to play his players heavy minutes in a back to back on Saturday and Sunday. Monday goes by. Tuesday, today, legs are hurting.

Our starters, Stuckey, Gordon, CV, and Ben Wallace, had zero in the tank. Its tough to win the 3rd game in 4 nights. Just tough.

Bynum is indeed looking good. But Stuckey, Gordon, Big Ben, and CV were all looking pretty darn good up until this horrid little stretch of games.

Bynum is hitting his outside jumpers, and streaking to the rack very well.

JMAX had a decent game. Scored some points, played, as always, very good D.

Kwame? He is trying. He is trying to get something out of being a big center on offense. Not getting much. On the defensive end, Kwame is never getting back on D anytime the other team manages any kind of fast break. Its killing us. Tonight, in the first half, it defined the game. By the time Kuester finally pulled Kwame (and he pulled Jason at the same time - not hiding anything.) the Lakers were in a feeding frenzy.

CV, despite his off night on O, did go after the boards hard and played solid enough D.

Wilcox got into the game a bit - along side JMAX, and that combo again looked quite good. Still can't see why Kuester does not play Wilcox with JMAX instead of Kwame with JMAX. Kwame just does not fit this game too well.

Kwame was in guarding Mbenga (excuse the spelling). But Mbenga is not exactly a scoring center. So what was Kwame doing? He can't score much.

What else. JJ hit another 3. Summers got in there for the 4th quarter. Looks like a very strong player. I will reserve judgement on his skills since he has gotten off the bench so little so far. Daye looked fine, but played just the 4 minutes.

For a stretch, Kuester was having Kobe guarded by JJ. Looked horrid. Not the fault of JJ of course. That is Kobe Bryant and JJ is not exactly Afflalo. Can't imagine why if he is going to experiment with who can guard Kobe he did not try Daye there instead.

Stuckey left the game in the first quarter for a spell. I heard no explanation why. But Stuckey looked horrid on his outside jumpers to start the game. Could still be injured some.

They said Tay is about to do some light jogging. Still no Rip.

All we can hope going forward is that Kuester sees some of what is going on - how excessive minutes mean losses in later games. Maybe he will start planning ahead - I should say follow his very own game plan. This heat of the moment thing ain't working. Just maybe, if us fans are lucky, he will notice.
  9. Robert Michael

Robert Michael First Round Draft Pick

Was astonished to see Kwame subbed back in for JMax late in the fourth. So was Stu, the announcer for the Lakers. A most curious sub given the strong play of JMax and the late hour.

overall the Pistons showed some heart, but we are nowhere near as good as the Lakers.

We need to trade somebody. No way we can stick with the guard heavy situation and do anything in the playoffs. I get the feeling that the first couple months are audition and showcase time.
  10. Nemo

Nemo Hall of Fame Forum Donor

I learned that we won't wrestle the championship away from the Lakers this season if we can't guard Kobe...
  11. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

I guess the other thing I'm happy about is the comments after the game....

“They were the aggressor, and we were reacting to everything they were doing,” said Ben Wallace(notes), who had five rebounds. “We were a step behind them for the entire game. The second group came in and played the way that we should have been playing all along. They made the game close, so we have to take a cue from our second unit and play hard from the start.”

“I’m not sure how many times we turned the ball over, but we just didn’t match their energy,” Gordon said. “They played harder than us, they were more aggressive to the loose balls, and they did a lot of the small things that got them over the top. I think we just need to do a better job of competing throughout the game instead of in spurts.”

At least there aren't any illusions of what is going on.
  12. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You could probably say that about the other 28 teams, as well...
  13. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yeah, we're not wrestling the championship from them, either.
  14. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Missed the game, but this is a pretty good article and summary. I'm not sure last year or certainly in the years before you would have read someone like Langlois coming down hard on the team and calling out specific players, especially on the Pistons own website. I like this.

PISTONS: 10 Bad Seconds

What they couldn’t afford is what happened midway through the second quarter, about a 10-second interlude that tilted momentum 90 degrees on its axis and started a California mudslide rolling downhill at them.

Trailing by three, Rodney Stuckey came down under control, pushing the pace to hunt for early offense, and found it. He took an open 17-footer that looked good, but bounced long and led to a Lakers runout. It wound up a four-on-one break and an easy Lakers basket that pushed the lead to five.

Stuckey, probably a little irritated with his miss and in a hurry to in-bound the basketball to beat the Lakers back down the court because so many of them had just sprinted the other way, rushed the entry pass to Ben Gordon, Shannon Brown wound up getting the steal amid the miscommunication and the Lakers wound up with another easy bucket. All of a sudden, what was nearly a one-point game was a seven-point game.
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The team was overmatched. Not big enough. The Lakers got out on the guards just like Dallas and took away the Piston offense. Don't understand Gordon on Kobe but it probably wouldn't have mattered otherwise. Worse is that there were turnovers again on the out of bounds and just bringing the ball up court. Can the team get a game on this trip? I hope so.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Utah, baby!!!

I believe.
  17. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I thought the team came out really good, but then during the 2nd QTR when we went to our "bench" things unwound. Remember, our back-up PG, SG, and SF are all starting now - undersized at some positions too - leaving our "bench" very very thin and inexperienced. If we stay close to start then unleash Will and BG on another teams subs, the scoring would be crazy. This is why I don't get too upset with this season so far. Hopefully, the burn will make these 3rd stringers improve faster.

On a related note, I see the coach getting a lot of flak for minutes from some of the posters - a usual complaint, but in this case I feel unwarranted. Yes, the coach can still manage to decrease minutes by using the WHOLE bench, but this team is stretched pretty thin, let alone the fact that is is imbalanced forcing a lot of heavy guard minutes at three positions. He does have a job to win games and I can respect his decision to ride the horses he has, especially since he IS still getting guys who wouldn't have touched the floor much in other cirumstances some time (JJ, Daye, Summers, Wilcox, Atkins etc.). Yes, by resting guys and giving others experience it MAY pay dividends during the long haul, but there are not that many hidden gems of talent. I think the coach probably can see what each player has talent whys and even what they could become.
  18. LA Dre

We need to have you there CJ to cheer the Pistons to victory!!!
  19. LA Dre

yep after that it was over...and that is usually how the lakers will beat you. yet the Pistons scrubs did make a game of it in the end, but we needed another half quarter to over the that 3rd qtr fall off.

It was a 13 pt loss, but the way ESPN called it "the Lakers hand Pistons their worst loss of the season" ?? Hmmm..Was it really the worst loss??
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

If this ended up being a 30-point blowout, then it would've been "the worst loss". But don't blame those ESPN guys. It's hard to read the boxscore through Kobe's jockstrap.