1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At LA Lakers November 16th, 10:30 PM

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by Dlev59, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Lets see how JMAX does with good defensive guards in the game. (Like we could have had if Tay had started this one at point with Amir starting at small forward.) And lets calculate what his plus minus would have been tonight witout all the inept guard play giving them points off turns.

I won't say JMAX should start, since maybe Samb or Amir would be better starting. But compared to the likes of Mohammed, CWEBB, and now Dyess, give me JMAX any day as a starter.

2. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Try being more specific.

3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That was a very good defensive effort by Kobe Bryant on Rip. Did you see how hard he was trying? He is one of the best one-on-one defenders in bball and he seemed to have a vendetta. I think that his own personal drought in the first half made him determined to at least take it away from Rip. All of Rip's makes were either quick shots or they were forced.

Also, Tay and Sheed were working extremely hard to get open, but it wasn't happening.

Give LA some credit for their effort. Farmar took it to an amazing level in the 4th. Flip couldn't handle it, so we put in Lindsey, who couldn't handle it either. I'm pretty sure Afflalo and Tay would have struggled as well. Good thing we have CB, with some of the surest handles in the NBA, and Stuckey on ice. Next time we play LA, this won't be an issue.

I'm not upset in the least by this game. The Lakers had 18 points in the 3rd quarter and 41 in the 4th. For 3 quarters of bball, we played unrealistically good defense. We finally got to see our young horses in real game time... and in a hostile environment. Amir played like a warrior, Afflalo was looking like Bowen on Kobe, and we all got a great surprise with Samb's passion and shot blocking display.

Saunders trusted the youngsters and tried to win the game by going with his vets. Not an unusual decision. But the reason it didn't work out is that the Lakers got hot and Kobe went into the zone.

4. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Good news - we have some good young talent on this team. About time too.

5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Alfflao just helps our defense so much. He's that good. Which is why i don't see the 1st two games w/o Rip being a fluke. We were playing better with him in the line-up b/c Rip for whatever reason has been awful lately.

I'm worried Flip won't get that and only put Afflalo in the game if there's a/ foul trouble, b/a Kobe Bryant type player.

Afflalo just makes our team defense better.

The lineup we should've seen in the 4th was Amir/Sheed/Hayes/Afflalo/Tay

a mix of vets and rookies.

Rip is starting to make me nervous. I remember reading a quote in the paper, talking about how Flip was joking about putting Sheed at PG, and Sheed was like that's cool, but said to Rip that he wasn't going to run any plays for him or pass him the ball so he should just stay home LOL

so much truth in that

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Rip simply cannot handle the ball. Neither can Flip Murray. Simple as that. Tay should have handled the ball tonight as Lee pointed out.

Our main guys just were bad. Sheed and Rip especially. Tay was Ok. Not sure I will blame the coach in this game except as Lee has pointed out, he has no clue about his personnel in many, many games.

Samb and Amir indeed bring some spark. Indeed, agree again, they looked better than Nazi.

We were playing without our two point guards and it showed. Hopefully, our young bigs will be good enough to address our front line weak points.

Now, about the coach...

I mentioned on the trade strand, Kobe can play big time defense. The Lakers are still a bad team. Don't be fooled by tonight.

7. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Last night game showed me what we're all about. We're aroung 7th in the league talent wise. We need to play the kids extensively during the regular season and finish with 44-47 wins. Let's enter the playoffs as a hungry and rested team which has a good blend of experience and TESTED youth. Then we'll surprise people and make it to the finals. If this happens, then Flip is a good coach and Nazr averages about 4 minutes a game this season.

8. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

That is what happens when it is run by your third and fourth string point guards.

:hoops:

9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Honestly, I'm more happy with that loss as I am with most wins- the young players got their burn and they did well. That should happen more often and not only at times when 2 starters are injured. AJ showed he can compete at NBA level and even Samb did ok, which was surprising as I thought he'd be more far away from being at NBA level as he seems to be.

10. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

I felt the same way.............

11. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

A classic Flip Sequence was at the end of the 1st when Flip decided to take his time on D, so Farmar buried a 3 in front of him. So with 20 seconds left, instead of running a good play, Flip decides he has to show up Farmar, and takes him one on one. Which results in a bricked layup with no time left.

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This makes all the sense in the world. Too bad it has so little chance of happening. Unless we get a new coach.

I will disagree on one point though. I believe if we played our youth extensively, including bring Sammy Mejia back to the team, and did not play Flip Murray, Hunter, Dupree, nor Mohammed, we would win more like 60 games. These young kids for sure need more experience, but they are pretty darn good as is.

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

How happy would you be though if this turns out just to be a fluke game, and Flip Saunders hardly plays Amir, Afflalo, or Samb next game? I think I will go read the press, and see if any of the beat writers even acknowledge that Amir can play the game. (It would be fun to see McCoskey do some serious backtracking.)

Just read McCoskey. He mentioned that Amir played. He mentioned that Amir got into foul trouble. (Not true though) Thats it. And he made out like playing these younger guys was part of why we lost. In sum, he was terrible. Next, I will read freep.com

freep.com gave good props to Amir, and really seriously good props to Samb. More like it. Somebody from the press did watch the game, good to know.

mlive also gave major props to Samb. Amir was mentioned for his rebounding, but slammed a bit on his defense. I guess this writer did not notice Amir was our only plus player for the night. Oh well, at least the guy watched the game, and I do appreciate reading the good props to Samb.

In all, still bad reporting. None of them mentioned Afflalo. None of them mentioned his good defensive sequences against Kobe, and none of them mentioned he was part of that stifling defense in the 3rd quarter.

14. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I'm not sure why Flip Sr. is taking the hits for this loss. Amir played a lot of minutes, which we've all been clamoring for, and he played great. And yes, I know there are injuries, but did ANYONE on this forum have Samb playing even one minute of meaningful ball this year? Yet there he was, thrown into the thick of things when the Pistons needed a boost, and when he immediately made a huge impact on D, he ended up playing almost 15 minutes total. In what was, let's remember, the first regular season game he's ever played in (no garbage time minutes for him yet in any other game). The turnovers near the end were awful and possibly cost them the game, but that would be more of a concern if either of the two primary ball-handling guards had been in uniform. Like I said up-thread, I'm disappointed that they lost, but how can we be anything but excited with what the two (!) young big guys showed? And who, exactly, was making the decision to put them on the floor?

15. buddahfan

People tend to forget how valuable C-Bill is to this team. It happens every time he goes out for a few games and Murray flashes his exciting playground no defense high turnover games.

C-Bill is + 14 on the Roland Rating this year. We don't have anyone else even close, except maybe AJ after last night. Interestingly enough AA and Hayes are down at the bottom with Nazr and Hunter, though after last night they may have moved up a bit.

We didn't win an NBA title and get to the ECF finals 5 straight years with Murray at the point!!!

Detroit Pistons NBA stats and data from 82games.com

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I think rebounding as a whole hurt DET more than the turnover spree in the 4th.

I would like to believe that these young guys could play, but Flip is horrible at figuring out how/when to play guys. It seems to be all or nothing with him.

Sheed did not look like he was running well at all. The last few games took a toll on him. That is not good in November.

If Rip can't get open off of the screens they were running last night, shouldn't the screener be open?

If Flip can figure out how to use all these guys then I can live with these kinds of losses.

17. bricalz

bricalz First Round Draft Pick

Growing pains guys....

:nerd2:

Bottom line, now seeing that the young guys did well, you got to move Nazr down the rotation ladder Flip. Amir and Samb up.

And Flip Jr. has to yield to Stuckey once in game shape.

Rip now scares me. He is not as effective in Flip's offense as he was in Larry Brown or Rick Carlisle's.

Tay should be aggressive. He is a mismatch waiting to happen in every game.

JMax comes off the bench.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Quoted for truth.

19. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Am I the only one surprised that Cheik wasn't just filler for the Mole Evans trade?

Watching him and Amir taking turns blocking Bynums shots gave me chills.

20. buddahfan

I think not.

No C-Bill big pains
    No Dyess medium size pain.

Nothing to do with growing pains.

However, there will be growing pains with Hot Rod for a while, but as long as C-Bill can be available and not banged up come playoff time, no sweat.