At LA Clippers March 1st, 10:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

It at least seems that Dixon might be able to offer something. Unfortunately, finding PT is too hard for Flip. Who knows when we'll see Dixon again, unless it's a blowout?

Why does Flip see the glass as half empty? Why, instead of playing guys, seeing what can do and fitting them into the mix, does he seem to fixate on what they can't do? He then will play them in only specific, limited situations.

The AJ in Utah fiasco is a perfect example. He doesn't see AJ as someone who can run the floor, score some easy hoops and protect the rim some. Nope, he sees AJ as someone who can't play with Max. It is that simple. Max in = AJ out.

The same level of thinking applies to Hayes and Herrrrrrrrman. No way both of them can play. Only a lunatic would think you could fit them both into the game. Ditto for AA. Who has room for a solid, aggressive defender who doesn't want plays run for him? Not Flip, he sees a guy who has to be out there with the starters to cover all of his deficiencies. Too bad you can't play 9 guys at once, then Flip could do it.
  2. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

After watching Cola platoon regardless of clock and score for years on end, I'm finding it easier to tolerate Flip, and hope when the playoffs come he falls bass ackwards into the right patterns when it counts.

:fingerscr
  3. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He's great, and i've noticed he also plays a more "team game" than Jarvis. Flip is notoriously slow to change though so i'm not seeing it happen.

I just think of Jarvis on PP/Lebron in the playoffs. That stretch alone is what can possibly lose up games (in Hayes getting lit up/or Tay playing the whole game). Hermann can't be much worse. He's an irritant and he tries extremely hard.
  4. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think that's all we can do at this point. I read an article saying all bench minutes would be cut in PO's, and AJ would be used in situational minutes. If that's the case, say goodbye to our defense.

It could've have been speculation on the writer's part. I HOPE it was speculation on the writer's part.
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Are you joking? He made his first 6 shots, all in the flow of the offense. His defense was solid. It sounds like you are just worried one of your boys is going to lose some PT. Don't fault Dixon for having a great game.
  6. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I've watched enough of Dixon in TOR to see that he has chucking tendencies. And he took 2 contested shots he had no business taking. Maybe they were heat-check shots or something. Also you conveniently didn't bold the part of my quote where i said i was overall impressed with his shot selection.

Which "boy" are you talking about. Aaron Afflalo? If so i will always take defense over offense, and Dixon was getting blown by by some little Clippers guard.

Personally, i think they should both play depending on what the situation asks for, but Flip Saunders is not that smart.
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Isn't a chucker someone who forces shots using a poor shot selection? Can someone be both a chucker and have good shot selection?

Also, do you think Afflalo is quick enough to defend point guards?
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I don't care if he is a chucker, as long as he makes them all.

Also, notice that he has a few assists sprinkled in there.

Afflalo hit a 3 last night too. I think that he does have range from the corners, and just needs to get more open looks from there without hesitating.
  9. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

As for Dixon, having a good shooting game means nothing. We need to see consistency. I remember Jarvis having the same start. Another thing, i can't believe how much chanting the pistons had on this game. you couldn't tell they are playing on the road.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

A chucker can have good shot selection on occasion (ex; Flip Murray) :)

I think the way i look at Dixon is clouded a little bit from his TOR playing days. In the Clips, game he forced maybe 2 shots, but i'd like to see what he does against actual defense since they were leaving him wide open for the most part.

I think he'll turn out to be a mini-Hayes with better defense.

He was the only player on our team that was giving AI trouble. If he can do that, i'm willing to give it a shot, but it's kind of a moot point anyway. The PG rotation is going to be Billups/Stuck/Hunter. If Dixon gets PT, it will probably be at the SG. What i'm curious to see is Afflalo's defense on SF's.
  11. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hey Lpgirl, Dixon probably was a chucker in Toronto because the raps are not a championship caliber team and you have a lot of jump shooters in Toronto.

I have been watching Dixon since his first year at University of Maryland and his 2 years with the Wizards. He is a very intelligent player and his knock in college was he was too unselfish with the ball.

He is defintely a team player, if Flip gives JD minutes in the rotation, you will be very impressed. His defensive lapses may be due to still learning the system because JD is a lockdown defender.

I think Flip may need to experiment with Juan and AA on the floor together.
  12. max

max All-Star

Not much to add. Great win without CB as we used to struggle with that last year, of course the competition was not great but a 30pt win is a 30 pt win.

Big question for me going in were how Stucky would do as a starter and would Amir play. Not sure how many of you were like me on the edge of my seat 2nd quarter wondering if Amir would play. Well he did and made a huge impact in this game.

Why were there so many Piston fans at that game? You do hear some cheers for the Pistons in road games but that was more than usual.

Dixon made a good case for himself for some mins so we will see. He is not going to be that hot everygame, I did think he made a good case for himself in not trying to be too much of a scorere. His points came along with 5 assists and he did seem to pick his shot selections at the right times. I see it as more of a choice between Dixon and AA.
  13. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Maybe because the Clips fans didn't have too much to cheer about? :nopompom:

Also because Dre, our man in La-La-Land, was leading the way for the Pistons fans in the house! :cheerleader:
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Nice game to get well. But with so much confidence they could blow it if they faced tough competition in the next game. But the Sonics aren't that team.
  15. max

max All-Star

I was just curious because the Pistons are not supposed to be liked nationally.

What about you Piston fans here from LA, how did you all come to follow the Pistons?
  16. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

SUGGESTION FROM THE CABLE MAN!!!!:

Lee, I assume u have a DVR or TIVO. Whether u are watching live or not, ALWAYS USE the record option. That way when u turn back, u can rewind back or FF through the commercials.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I was born in Detroit and moved away as a kid. Became enamored with the Bad Boys and I was hooked on Piston basketball. I was disappointed in the Grant Hill years. But I became excited again when Ben Wallace blossomed. I said to myself, the Pistons finally have a real piece...

I went to the game two years ago and yes, there are a lot of Piston fans at Clipper games.

On Dixon, well it certainly looks like he has a shot. That is good. He was backed down a few times on defense though. I wouldn't bury Lindsay though. Hunter can be part of a playoff strategy where our 2nd team guards press the opposition for a 3-5 minute period. I would play Lindsay in two very short stints each half.

I can't wait to see what Ratliff has assuming he signs. I don't buy he is a 5th man. IF he is still active, I can see him in the game the last few minutes next to Sheed. I am ok with Maxiel and willing to give Amir a try late in the game. I am not comfortable with Dyss in the last few minutes on defense and he is not a great free thrower either.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Don't worry. I will be watching the whole game again in a few moments. While doing exercise.
  19. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

To the FILM!!!

V ----- Lee gettin' ready to load up the Clippers' game
    [​IMG]

Just messin with ya Lee! :)
  20. max

max All-Star

I believe the phrase was While doing exercises.