1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At LA Clippers March 11th, 3:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2007' started by Dlev59, Mar 10, 2007.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

BOX SCORE RECAP

I saw about 1 minute during the 1st half of the replay and saw Maxiell grab 2 boards. Then I checked the box to see those were his only boards for the game in 35 minutes...? In fairness, the replay postgame said Jmax played Brand well.

Looks like Cweb, Rip, CB, and Dice had solid games.

98-80 with 3 non-suspended DNP's? I don't agree with playin Cweb 36 minutes and giving DD & Nzar DNP's...Flip seems set to play Webber into the ground or injury...whichever comes first. And how do you not throw Blaylock into a winning fray while Jr played 20 minutes scoring just 2? Granted, Jr got 4 asst, but I'd rather Will got a couple of those.

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

After watching the telecast, man, did Maxiell ever have a good game. Maxiell in the game meant us getting leads. It meant the other team could not score. Maxiell out of the game meant we lost the lead, and rather quickly I might add. Flip wisely put JMAX back in quickly each time he was taken out of the game. Lots of minutes for JMAX in this one. Don't let that rebound stat fool you by the way, JMAX tapped the ball, under control, to a teammate about 4 times.

Brand vs. JMAX. Kelser said it would be big key for this game. Best word to describe the matchup? Domination. On JMAX's part. If Brand scored, someone else besides Jason Maxiell was guarding the guy.

JMAX only got one bucket off a post up move, the rest from cuts in. But as Kelser said, JMAX was having a huge game, due to his defense on Brand.

Dyess had a pretty darn good game himself. Not defensively though. From what I can see in this game, Maxiell should absolutely be the first big off our bench. (But Dyess is making a great case for himself too, showing some really good ups of late.)

Rip started 8 for 8, including one triple. Can't say enough about his consistency.

CB ended up with 19 and 11 assists, pretty good game. Six of those points were triples to put the game away after LA got it to within 10 with just under 4 to go.

Rip is making some good passes to go with that scoring.

CWEBB continues to can his outside shots as well as score impressively in the post. His defense is not all that sound though. Still, averaging 20 and 10 over the last few games is really something.

Tay had one decent scoring backdown to the basket. Other than that, a couple of dunks on fast breaks plus a ton of missed shots. Not a very good game.

Flip Murray looked a lot worse watching on the TV. I guess they gave a few of those passes Murray failed to gather in as turns to the passer. Those were not very bad passes though.

As someone mentioned, just an 8 man rotation in this one. Murray subbed for both guard positions. Delfino some small forward and some shooting guard. Dyess both big positions. All three subs played plenty. Grade on bench development? A+ JMAX got more minutes in this one than he typically gets over a five game stretch about.

Two of two to start the road trip. GO PISTONS!!!!!

Here is my original writeup after listening on the radio:

The game will be played on channel 20, on a tape delayed basis, at 7pm. Don't read this game report if you don't want to know what happened yet. I will do another report after watching the game. Here is what I gathered from listening to t he radio.

Webber is averaging 20-10 now for the last three games. Nice trend. Webber continues to get his from the inside, as well as knocking down the occasional jumper. Webber missed about 7 free throws today or we would be really talking about a monster game from him.

Rip hit his first 7 on his way to about 23 points. He had 15 points after one quarter. CB is out of his shooting slump from behind the arc. First one missed, then he hit 4 of his next 5 long ones. I believe he ended up with 19 points.

Maxiell and Tay did not do a whole lot on offense, although JMAX did manage to get scores from cuts to the basket here and there. Dyess did some scoring inside. Delfino continues a trend of late of knocking down a triple early 4th. Murray played, and did not do well. A mention of his name usually meant the ball getting turned over or him taking a bad shot. I did hear him get praised for good D a couple of times.

You know CWEBB is not a very good defender. Yet the front line of the Clips was atrocious in this game. Credit Jason Maxiell for a lot of that. Over and over you heard Brand driving on JMAX, Brand stopped dead in his tracks. Blocked, missed shots, or had to give the ball up. At one point mid-4th with us up about 18, Brand was 4-12. The best defensive stretch for us was early 3rd quarter, when the Clips simply did not get even one basket for the first half of that quarter. We went from a 4 point lead to a sizable lead by the end of that quarter, 14 points. I think it got up to 18 at one point.

The best the Clips did was get within 10 with 4 minutes to go in the game, on mostly triples by Thomas. (We were ahead 18 with 6 minutes to go in the game.

JMAX played most of this game. He stayed out of foul trouble, played great D, and basically made us not miss Sheed one bit. I heard no mention of whether Detroit was appealing the tech Sheed got to force him to sit this game. Considering Sheed needs to let that ankle heel anyway, it really does not matter.

JMAX would have had a much better game if he could have held onto the ball inside more. Surely he is strong enough, probably inexperience. But JMAX gained plenty of experience playing in the NBA tonight. His first start playing starters minutes. A huge part of the game, congrats JMAX. GO PISTONS!!!!!

3. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Thanks for the recaps guys... much appreciated on this blackout Sunday

4. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

Good to read. This is why we need to play our young 'uns. Balance out our experience with athleticism.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Nice recap lee and detteam.

Oz, thanks for posting the NBA cap as well.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Thanks to both you and Mercury for the thanks.

7. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Glad to be of some help. Irritated as all get out about the gametime. As anyone from the west coast would wonder: What the heck is a game doing on at noon for in the first place????? Oh, just realized the Lakers are playing now in the same building. Guess we know who pays the bills there! Somebody screwed up on that schedule!

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ozark, no one in LA saw the game either unless they were at the Staples Center seeing it live. There was no TV coverage here either and the only cameras turned on were the ones showing the fans in the crowd and the 2 or 3 Clipper highlights up on the jumbotron. I did see Blaha and Kelser doing their play-by play for the delayed taping back to Detroit, and Eli Zaret doing his in game up dates.

Once again as was in the games I attended in Orlando and Dallas, the Pistons fans were out in full effect in Piston apparel chanting Deeetroit Basketball from start to finish.

A quick game summary, Rip came out hot and scored 15 of the Pistons 27 points in the 1st quarter. The Clips hit a three to tie the game at 27 a couple of minutes into the second before the Pistons stretched it out to 10. As per our usual motto, we decided to let the Clips back in the game as they came with in one at 44-43, but CB hit a 3 ball to end the half and a cheer went up as if they were playing at the palace.

The Pistons started out the third in a defensive mode and a 14-1 run. A hard push non-foul on Magette that kept him on the floor for 3 minutes got Dunleavy thrown out midway through the 3rd qtr.

Dice who did most of his damage in the second and fourth qtrs (17 pts) made most piston fans in attendance forget about Sheed who was probably at the beach (it was 92 today) or at the Playboy Mansion in the grotto with Hef and the girls. :)

With Rips 15 in the first qtr, you thought he was going to put up at least 35, (he was 10/12 from the floor) but they went away from him in the middle two quarters and beyond the arc and delivered 12 assists.

Tay missed a lot of jumpers including three 3 balls trying to impress the family and some old girlfriends...Although Flip jr had 4 assists he was just abysmal when it came to shooting either missing bad shots or turning it over.

Looking at the Laker game right now and they are currently down by 30 so no local teams to shout about today in Lala land. Although USC and UCLA get in the big dance, they both were blown out in their pac 10 tourney games. Also the camera just showed Jack, Dyan,Penny, and Tobie. I scanned the floor with my binoculars earlier and iIsaw NO celebrities there for the Piston/Clipper game. I guess when it was announced that Sheed was suspended, none of our superstars were worthy of any celeb stars showing up to watch the Pistons

Well that's 3-0 in road games I have attended. That's it for me this year unless the Pistons play the Lakers or Clips in the finals:pound:

9. lurker

lurker First Round Draft Pick

The Lakers got crushed by the Mavs in that game 108-72, so the final score for the day was L.A. 152, Visitors 206.

10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

just watched the game. the clippers are broken. maxiell matches up well with brand's size and he did a great job stopping him. plus a bunch of steals and blocks...no rebounding but he *was* +29 for the game. webber had his way, rip had his way...the clips can't defend us.

tim thomas kept jacking up 3s, so the maxiell STUFF of one of thomas's 3-ball attempts at the end of the game was awesome. right in front of the pistons bench, he got absolutely REJECTED.

11. LA Dre

Carlos Delfino & yours truly La Dre after the Clipper/Pistons game. He had no idea what the Pistonforum was :)
    [​IMG]

12. linwood

linwood All-Star

Awesome!

13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

thats cool. delfino at his usual photogenic self... :pound:

14. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Hey Dre,

You really got Dr. Dre's head shape. Even the hairstyle is identical, COOL!!!

15. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Dayaaaam....looks like you guys were going to hang out.

Should have got a quick interview with Fino!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Fino looks like he needed some popcorn.
    You the man Dre.
    ------------
    As for the Blackout, the league didn't want Detroit Basketball getting their YaYas at the expense of Hollywood. Frankly it was like taking candy from a baby.
    A couple of garbage games then the Suns. See you then.

17. majestik

majestik First Round Draft Pick

LA Dre, thats a freaking awesome pic! I cant believe delf doesnt know of the forum... so many of us have been rooting for him for the past couple of years. Great to see the piston fans out in numbers and their team gettin a 2nd win out of 2. Next up please...

18. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

Good work Agent Dre.

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Way to go, Dre! I guess he was willing to take a picture with someone wearing a Pistons shirt, even if he didn't know what that "forum.com" business was...LOL.

Good to see that they got a pretty easy win. The Clippers have reverted somewhat to vintage "Paper Clips" form this season. We'll see if they can turn it around again next year.

20. LA Dre

I actually approached J-Max, pointed to the PF - T Shirt and asked him if he was familiar with it and he nodded yes. I think the Roscoe or the Low had given him a Tshirt last summer? Since he was with his family and I didn't have press credentials or a mic, I didn't want to appear like a groupie or Jim Gray bug him any more. Tay was with his family and taking pictures with little kids so I passed on bothering him too. I do have a photo of him that I may post later.
    [​IMG]