at LA Clippers Friday November 12 10:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This is date night for me and Mrs. [STRIKE]Jones[/STRIKE] Dre and we will be at Staples Center in Section 116, row 10.

If we win she gets all of me, if we lose, she will have to beg me to even give her a hug...:hug:

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

Sounds like you're buying the hotdogs and pop...:)

4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Blake Griffin by 20.

5. LA Dre

No Kaman, possibly no Gordon nor Davis.....in the old days I would say no problem.

6. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I got nothing.

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

8. coynejeremy

The Clippers announcers are making my ears bleed. T-Mac just checked in and one of them said, "Where did Tracy McGrady come from? I thought he was on Houston!".

A minute later one of the announcers goes, "What happened to Ben Gordon?" The other guy says, "Not playing as well as [or maybe he said 'since'] last year." Then the first announcer says, "No I mean, where did he go? He was just in the game!" The second announcer points him out on the court. "Oh, ok!" Five seconds later, the Clippers miss and the Pistons rebound. The first announcer says "Who just got that rebound?" Announcer #2: "Ben Gordon." #1: "Oh, Ben Gordon! hahahahaha!"

It's fascinating how dumb these guys are.

9. coynejeremy

And the hits keep on coming. One of the announcers asks "Can you name one of the players on this Pistons team that is above average defensively?" He ponders it and says, "Ben Wallace, I guess." The other guy says, "Ben Wallace and Tayshaun Prince." #1: "And that's it!" 5 seconds later, Charlie Villanueva and Tracy McGrady hound ball-handler Blake Griffin all the way out to the sideline and force him into a 3-second violation. Piston ball.

10. coynejeremy

We're shooting 7-10 on 3-pointers. Did you realize we are in the top 3 in the league on 3-point percentage?

11. Brap

Brap Starter

Gordon, Daye and CV are as outstanding a trio as there is in the league at hitting 3pt shots.

12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'd put Rip and TMac in that group too.

Daye is on fire so far and is at 11-22 on the season. .500 from deep? I will take that.

Gordon
    Hamilton
    McGrady
    Daye
    Villanueva

That should probably be our 5 man unit to end ball games... since we are usually in desperate need of 3-pointers.

13. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

These announcers are classic homers CJ.

Very unknowledgeable as well. I don't mind homerism, but at least know the game and the players. Failed to give any credit to anyone from the Pistons. Oh well, take that loss and enjoy the ride home! BIIIINGO! :gun1:

Clippers had a ton of wide open looks in OT but couldn't make one. Got a little lucky in the end, but we'll take it. I swear I saw a little snowflake or two on J-Max's FT's but he was making them.

14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Good win.

I only saw the 4th quarter and the overtime. So, all my feedback is based on that.

We had Stuckey-Rip-Tay-CV-Maxiell to finish the game and in overtime. That unit actually wasn't too bad.

JMAX was the hero of the game. He did a great job defensively on Griffin. He was also clutch from the FT line. I believe he was 5/6 for the night and he made all of those in the 4th and in OT. More importantly, his free throws actually looked good. He had a high arch rainbow for each one. And in one of them the net didn't even move. Great job Max.

Stuckey was another bright spot. He actually came through at the end of the game and in overtime. His clutch free throws tied the game and sent to overtime.

Apparently both Rip and Tay had bad shooting nights, but Rip did hit a few key shots late in the game. Somehow Tay was energized on the defensive end. That was great to see.

Apparently CV had a great game. He hit 5 three pointers or something. He actually played good defense down the stretch. He looked good out there.

We had no answer for Eric Gordon. Thank God he got tired in OT.

Saw a little bit of Ben Gordon. He executed a terrific pick and roll with Maxiell that led to a vicious dunk by JMAX. When Stuck came in, JMAX executed the same play and cut to the basket and was wide open, but Stuckey didn't even see him. Sigh. I don't want to pick on him too much because he was really great to close the game, but I wish he could see and execute some of those.

Most of all, I am extremely happy that we didn't have a 4th quarter collapse and pulled off a win on the road. Granted the Clips were severely short-handed, but I'll cherish any win at this point.

15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Sorry, I can't get excited by this win versus a depleted Clipper team. The team has no coherence. Stuckey is better but not the point guard, shooter and late game penetrator he needs to be.

Bynum plays too many minutes in the 4th quarter. Other than a layup, his offense is suspect and his play making average at best.

Daye needs to be wide open for his shot to go. He will be fine in a year or two but is just not strong enough or experienced enough now.

The coach still does not use Gordon, his best shooter. Why?

Monroe looks two years away.

CV can provide points. He and Gordon should be kept, and Daye and Monroe for development and JJ. The rest of the team needs to be made over. The Pistons have no threat at all in the front line.

16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Great wins, as all road wins are.

Three things of note. One, TMAC found his outside shot. That is a good thing indeed. Two outside shots made by him helped stop a bad 2nd quarter slide. He did not play in the 2nd half though, which leads to the next item. Daye played backup small forward in the 2nd half. Altogether, Tay ended up getting plenty of rest so that he ended up going into OT with something left in the tank.

Daye playing small forward in this game was huge. It meant that not all of Daye's time was wasted in the game playing out of position at power forward. Sure, we looked good to start the game, but overall we were getting killed inside with Daye at power forward. With Daye at small forward - we played steady in that 4th quarter - and again, well enough so that Tay could sit on the bench a good long while.

Third item - JMAX is back from a sore knee. He did play the first two games of the season on that bum knee but has sat since. Fine game from him. How fine? Look at Griffin on the Clips. Superstar or invisible man, depending on if JMAX is guarding him or not. Yes, if JMAX was guarding him, he was the invisible man.

JMAX also won a lot of converts by making 5-6 clutch free throws. And truth to be told, that one he finally missed - we were well up by then so it was not so clutch anyway. He looked all the better after Tay clanked two shortly after. Now, some site did a poll on who the most important Pistons were. I was the only one who listed JMAX as one of those. This game shows why I am right. You don't win many games without being able to defend the paint. With Jason in there, we forced The Clips to be an outside shooting team (and hey, to the Clips credit, they did make some outside shots to stay in the game before the outside shots quit falling and let the Pistons win this one.)

We did get off to a very good start - going up 26-13. A couple of things kept them close though - inside scoring - and Rip missing a bunch of shots. That inside scoring for The Clips just kept right on happening with a front line of Monroe and CV in there to start the 2nd half. Just not enough beef inside. Still, gee, we held ok anyway there. Due to a lot of good shooting. Like Gordon hitting a couple of threes, TMAC making a couple of outside shots, and CV beginning his fabulous scoring night. Defensively, we were horrid there, but that bench was scoring. Most bench scoring for a Pistons game this season. I don't know the final total but it was over 50.

CV was the scoring hero, over and over, and over. A lot of things would be going all wrong for us, but there was CV making yet another triple, or getting to the line and making his free throws. Or making shorter jumpers off his own making. A thirty point night - off the bench.

Now, yes, I would think that CV should start. But certainly not because Daye had a bad game or anything. CV should start just to give Ben Wallace more help than the skinny Daye provides inside. Daye should come off the bench as a guard or small forward to use his height advantage more often. (On the other hand, I hate to break up the combo of CV and Gordon. Hmm, any suggestions how we can start CV and still keep that duo together) Anyway, Daye shot well, hardly missing any shots. And he has hit his last 8 consecutive 3 attempts.

Bynum looked none too good. Clanking weak attempts at layups at the end of ill advised drives in. Missing outside shots. And no D. Still, at least he got the benefit of not having Daye in at power forward. As bad as Bynum played, we were still ok just by playing logical units out there. Poor Stuckey should be so lucky.

Bynum did have that very needed 3 point play rather late in the 4th, and he did have that one nice drive and dish out to CV for one of his 3's. And more importantly, he played enough so that Stuckey did not get overplayed - even with the OT.

Which is perhaps why Stuckey ended up being clutch when needed. Making his free throws to tie the game and send it to OT. Making a drive later to put us up a bit in OT. For the game, Stuckey contributed solid D on their guards, and plenty of scoring - and scoring where I like to see it - at the basket while drawing fouls.

Which brings me back to CV. He was foul drawing machine tonight, along with still making his long rangers. Got to love his offensive game tonight.

Just to make this post more complete, here is the rotation I think a lot would approve of at the moment:

Start: Stuckey, Gordon, Daye, CV, Ben Wallace

Bench: TMAC at point (with Bynum playing a bit to keep sharp for an emergency point guard), Rip, Tay (to help with ball handling duties), Monroe, JMAX.

This leaves out Summers and Bynum, who are healthy, and White, Wilcox and JJ, who are not.

Great to see JMAX back. Again, great win. That's 3 of 4, so maybe the ship is at least not with sail still in water.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

17. pgrnpacer

pgrnpacer First Round Draft Pick

Phone it in Lee. I wholeheartedly agree with this rotation that you have proposed. We beat a team of 3 rookies and 2 third year guys......only because they missed a few shots at the end of the game by mere milimeters. I just realized a couple things about the game of NBA basketball. Veterans can certainly make an impact more than rookies can....but only in the playoffs (which we won't be a part of barring an unforseen trade for 2-3 big men). The second realization is that drive/desire and young guys willing to play above the rim goes a lot farther than old washed up vets that don't want to give that extra effort to get the job done. We shouldn't have won this game by all stats and our "holier than thou vets" are not worthy of starting roles anymore. Rip's stock is plummeting and Tay is only sought after for his expiring contract.

18. LA Dre

We won so my 40 mile drive to the Staples Center was not in vain. Mrs. Dre was on the fence as to who to cheer for but she knew if was riding home with me she better cheer for the guys in blue or she would hitching a ride home with my son who was at the game with his lady. He has been a staunch Clipper fan since for the past 10 years was disappointed for the 9th time this year with another Clipper loss.

This one looked like a Piston victory for sure in the first half as th Pistons jumped to a 14-4 lead before Vinnie called a TO to stop the onslaught. He brought in fresh bodies, but Q stayed with his vets for a couple more minutes before subbing out Daye and Stuckey with CV and Bynum. The Clips with fresher legs closed a 26-13 deficit down to 26-19 to end the qtr deficit.

I guess Q lost tract of rotations and how many minutes everyone played because he trotted Rip and Tay back out there to start the second and scored a couple of baskets to come within one 27-26 before T-Mac hit a bucket to stop their run.

Bynum was just awful trying to run the point as the offense bogged down for a while and another bucket by Tmac..this one a 3 ptr gave us a little breathing room. A few three pointers by Gordon and Villanueva pushed the lead back out to 13 before E Gordon splits the D for a layup attempt...(like he did in the 1st qtr that he made.) This time he misses goes to the FT line and makes the first, missus the second but a Clipper grabs the rebound and sticks it back to end the qtr with the Pistons up 10 57-47.

Pistons open the second half struggling and allow the Clips to eventually tie the game 66-66 as the crowd cheered them on. The teams exchanged buckets for a spell and ended the qtr tied at 74. Once again Q and his coaching staff forgot about PT and nearly played the starters the whole 3rd qtr.

The Clips open the 4th with three foul shots to go ahead by three and the game remained tight the rest of the game until we got down below the 3 minute mark and it was nervous time for both teams . The Clips went up by 4 but another 3 pt dagger by CV kept it close enough for the Stuckey to tie the game with a little more than 10-11 seconds in the game. A steal by Rip on the ensuing out of bounds play lead to shot by Rip that clang off to left and hence OT.

As other have said, the OT was about the Clips missing shots and the Pistons making FT's Stuckey 2-3 of his and Max made 4-4 of his , but the old men Rip and Tay were 1-2 and 0-2 respectively

The game summary...we finally won a game where CV not only scored over 20 and but was the leading scorer. He hit it whenever he could, and often under duress. Our FT shooting almost cost us the game, but Max clutch shooting in OT saved it.

Daye was great too...scored 9 pts in the 1st qtr but only three after wards as Bynum never recognized him out there....

Max was the player of the game with CV a close second. Not only did he make 5-6 of his FT, but 3-4 of his shots from the floor and had 2 blocks. I guess Q finally recognized that he may as well pull the taller Monroe when he could not run or jump with Griffin who was once again spectacular with 18 pts and 18 brds...and a couple of monster dunks.

Q's sub patterns were bad as everyone stayed in to long but CV.

As usual when it appeared that the Pistons had the game in hand, the Piston fans came out of the woodwork almost drowning the Clipper fans who were racing to the exits.

No celebrity pics this time although old man Larry King crept by me with one of his toddler sons heading for the gift shop.

I have some pictures that I will post to the Piston forum facebook page in a couple of days. ... time to hit the bed now.

19. Brap

Brap Starter

Some takeaways from last nights game.

1) Daye looked great to start the game. In a year or two we're going to be proclaiming that he should get all-star consideration. Yeah, he needs to get a lot stronger, and yeah, right now he's playing out of position - but the guy battles and he's going to be a super offensive player. And he WILL get a lot stronger. In a few seasons, a lot of us will be arguing that he should be playing more PF.

2) I'm very done with Tay and Rip. Why? Because they're selfish players. Daye starts the fourth quarter hitting three sweet shots - one a 3 pointer. The guy's on fire. What do Tay and Rip do? Think they, as seasoned veterans used to feeding the hot hand on championship quality teams feed Daye? Nah. They start pumping their own shots. They both shot terribly for the game. They do not fit this team, and they don't even particularly like playing for us anymore. Daye shot 4 for 4 in the first quarter, but he should have shot twice as many shots in favor of the epically cold shooting duo I used to like watch play for us, back in the day.

3) CV is playing some great BB now. He does look better on D.

4) Stuckey played a strong game last night. He's much more reliably hitting open men on his drives.

5) If Bynum isn't driving to the hole with abandon, he doesn't belong on the court. His shot is broken, and for whatever reason, he doesn't take it to the hole that often. Stuckey is 5 times the all-around player Bynum is.

6) Maxiell matches up against guys like Griffin who aren't all that interested in taking guys off the dribble, but just in overpowering and outleaping the defender. Maxiell isn't going to get overpowered and outleaped. There are exactly, I don't know, 1? guys like Griffin in the league - Griffin. Just kidding, but Maxiell can be a pretty nice 10th or 11th man on a good roster. He always brings energy and muscle. But he's just too short to be a top flight backup in this league.

7) The guy playing unselfish BB is Gordon. Unlike Rip and Tay, Gordon defers and feeds the hot hand.

8) The matchups didn't favor Monroe playing much last night. Short rosters like the Clippers throw out at you play into Ben Wallace and Maxiell much more than Monroe. If Kaman wasn't hurt, Monroe would have been the matchup guy, not Maxiell.

20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

Thanks for the Drecap. I only saw parts of the game.