At Indiana Pacers Jan. 14th 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by roscoe36, Jan 11, 2009.

1. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Good point. Curry seems to dog the very players that were similar to him. Curry is star struck. McBalless is in the house.
  2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wow, again, I hardly feel the need to write up the game. You got it captured here pretty darn well. But still. Back to work.
  3. himat

himat Bench Warmer

The most frustrating part about this is that we are shooting ourselves in the foot right now. We have been very successful the past 5-6 years and there will be a season, unfortunately, where we slip in our success. Right now it looks like we are slipping, but its not because we don't have the talent. That is what is so irritating.
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I see a lot of great writeups of the game. I have been doing mine for years because I could never find anyone else consistently writing up what went on in a game, for all us Piston fanatics out there who may not be able to watch the game themselves. Well, I will write this one up. But if other people keep up their excellent work like tonight, I just might retire. Lately, I have been considering this work, not fun, to write these reports. Thanks for those of you who take the time. Then again, though I want to quit, I think of some soldier overseas risking their life for my freedom, and I guess if they can be serving a fourth tour (including many of my cousins over the last several years) I guess I can keep writing these reports. In hopes it might help someone enjoy the Pistons, even far far from home.

Well, here is what I saw. First of all, craziness. We had a team out there overmatched just about everywhere in size for much of the game. And then there is Kwame and JMAX not getting any time. Put the two together, and its nuts. We let them overmatch us for no reason at all.

Dyess got his sacred minutes. That is what I will start calling them. It matters not what he does, he just gets the minutes. His shooting was atrocious, and hurt us bad. Not until the OT did he finally work near the basket. Then you got Sheed, who only wanted to shoot outside. The pair of them together is terrible. Both did some good things. Lots of boards, but the two of them in together represent zero inside presence on offense. That is a bad, bad thing.

Amir got enough minutes in this one, did not do bad. His only highlight was that score of his in traffic. One of the rare times we fed the post tonight.

Tay shot poorly, but did some nice scoring every now and then. Not enough. Certainly not enough, considering the whole idea of small ball is that Tay is suppose to able to outquick his guy. But first you have to outthink your guy, and I don't see Tay, or the team as a whole, do any quick thinking. What I am seeing instead, as the season progresses, is our team not being ready to play, while the other teams are getting sharper and sharper in their execution of plays. Speed is worthless without direction. No direction detected tonight. That goes to coaching.

Stuckey scored 30. Pretty impressive. AI scored plenty too, some impressive stuff there. Meanwhile, Rip had a bad shooting night, missing 8 straight at one point. But the three combined played atrocious D, and a good deal of the time Afflalo was in he was playing out of position at small forward. In other words, we seldom played any decent perimeter D. (Might be being a little too harsh toward Rip, who did spend much of the time guarding much taller guys, and AI who was a midget out there amongst trees. But hey, I certainly saw no defense being played on the opposing guard worthy of good mention.)

This game, for 90%, could be characterized like this: Either too small a team, or too slow a team with the combo of Sheed and Dyess in. Gone is the good stuff from the win streak, where we saw a whole lot of pairings of Dyess or Kwame with Amir or JMAX. What a concept, a power forward, and a center.

We still need a backup for Tay, at small forward. And of course, we got to play Tay at either small forward, or shooting guard. Never, never at power forward. Not ever.

Player by player: Covered Dyess enough. Sheed started out hitting some shots, but pretty much all outside stuff, then he went pretty cold the rest of the game. AI started out a bit slow but ended up with a good shooting game. Stuckey scored with a variety of shots from 3's to pull ups to just laying the ball in and getting the and one. Afflalo hit several shots. Rip did hit a few shots, including a wide open 3.

Anyone still remember what happened when Rip got injured, before Sheed got injured? You know, the start of the winning streak. Sheed had renewed energy for having Amir starting beside him. Well, that is gone, totally gone. Back to energyless Sheed.

Anyone remember how well Tay was clicking on offense when put back to the small forward spot? Gone.

Small ball is hurting us bad.

Enough.
  5. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

this is making me really sad. it's just no fun.
  6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We have not been the same team since LB left. We kept trying to act like we were the same team, but we are not. Losing Ben made it more obvious but people kept trying to hang onto that identity. Losing Chauncey is making it even worse. We are not close to a championship team. Right now we are a pushover and playoff dissapointment waiting to happen.

I am not jumping ship, but I am being honest. The character and identity we build right now will show in the end. In 04-05 we were tough and fought like hell every game and it payed off in the end. It showed. Even if we begin to turn this around some of these flaws will resurface when we need to win.
  7. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

If it ain't rough, it ain't right!
  8. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

A couple of questions:
    Why are we playing an 8 man lineup against Indy?
    Why are we playing 4 starters 39+ minutes, aginst INDY?
    And why are we playing Tay at the power forward?

The first two, I blame on Joe for hiring a coach with ZERO coaching experience.

The second, I blame on Joe for giving his coach with ZERO coaching experience an unbalanced roster, and same coach with ZERO coaching experience being unable to decide who should come off the bench, AI, Rip, or Tay.

And I added Tay, cause he can come off the bench just as easily as the other two. Rip's a heck of lot better at the 3, than Tay is at the 4.
  9. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Can someone tell me why Sheed kept jacking up 3s in the 4th Q and the OT? Dude just kept shooting bricks with Curry doing nothing. You can't tell me those plays were ran for Sheed.
  10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You're giving me high (basketball) self esteem LOL
    I've given up on this. That will be our end of game line-up a majority of the time even though they aren't very good together. I thought Curry mentioned previously how he didn't want them playing together and that they weren't going to. He just needed one shooting big to keep in the game.

Amir is just never going to crunch time minutes if Dyess is healthy. Even though i believe our defense was much better with him in. I remember us not being able to score, but they couldn't build a lead on us more than 4 pts. When he came out, we went to our "offense" line-up and then after an initial burst we struggled to score again and the floodgates opened. Also why does AI take so many jumpshots? I thought he our answer to PIP, but he rarely drives. Hell, CB is averaging more FT's.

I can't believe i'm about to say this, but I miss KB.
    He looks exactly like he did before. He can't handle being our entire defense. And guess who agrees with that ? Curry
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Lee, the troops might dive into the line of fire after reading this. If I could I would.

The Pistons winning this game would have meant as much as it did to Indy actually winning it. Unfortunately losing seems to be the best option with this lineup.

Sheed has gotten off to good starts the last 2 games, but the small balls have him playing the whole 1st quarter and then sitting almost all of the 2nd. He never really recovers from that.

I loved Tay getting an O rebound late in the game and just stood there for 3-4 holding the ball without moving. I am going to go out on a limb and say they didn't score on that possession.

Another good play was at the start of the 2nd half. Sheed went directly to the corner in front of the Pacer bench and AI went to the elbow of the 3pt line next to him. Neither moved again.

If DET is down 2 scores with 1:30ish to go I know they're going to lose.

If they gave out an award for controlling a game but only leading by 2 points the Pistons would be Kings!

No turnovers for Max or Kwame. Nice to see them putting in the work at practice.
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So can Stuckey.
  13. detteam

detteam All-Star

Then who is your starting PG?
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

AI and Rip, as we used first right after the trade. AI, although not the ideal point guard, is still a point guard. Rip, while not that great a defender, can be put on a hot point guard to cool him down. Rip has the speed and quicks for that, and a lot of length.

But hey, if you really want my opinion - I would start AI, Afflalo, Amir, JMAX, Sheed.

Bench:

Stuckey, Rip, Tay, (Any of Sheed, Amir, or JMAX playing over with the 2nd unit), and Kwame. With Dyess still playing, but in a limited role as an extra defensive player when we play bigger teams, or for foul trouble.
  15. himat

himat Bench Warmer

Now way in hell that would happen. It is hard enough to get one of Rip/Stuckey to go to the bench. To get Rip, Tay, and Stuckey off the bench would be impossible to do. Their is not even a .000001% chance that would happen. It will not happen at all no matter what. 0% chance.
  16. discotom

discotom First Round Draft Pick

Lee doesn't think that will happen, it's just what he would try as coach.

And while I don't quite agree with it, those particular lineups do make more sense than some of the crap we are seeing out there right now.

Stuckey and Amir off the bench makes the most sense if Rip and AI aren't going to go along with it (though it seems AI might). Get Stuck and Amir into a CP3/Chandler routine that will bridge the next 4 years of development. Keep these two on the floor, off the bench if need be.

Curry needs to fix this sinking ship. The players are there, the rotations aren't. I don't even think we should trade anyone. We don't need any more players. We need rotations where players know one another...where instinct kicks in. We don't have that. If we trade and bring in another player, it confuses more. We have the talent. Let's just make it work.
  17. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The team roster is in imbalance with he development of Stuckey. If Billips stayed, the problem would have been even worse. Billips should have been traded-- for a big-- but probably none available. So Joe went for cap space...

Stuckey should have had the ball the last two games as he was shooting well and getting into the lane. Sheed did try down low and couldn't score. Tay couldn't score. The offense is just not up to speed right now. Indiana's jump shooting sets at least provided an open look.

AI finally hit some shots but when was the last time he shot at over 50%? Has he really shown the ability to carry the team? And if the ball is in his hands more, that will also mean more turnovers.

Yes, Maxiel and Kwame should have played some.
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

That's probably the only rotation MC Hammerless hasn't tried lol

hmmmm...Amir at SF...? He fouls in d paint just by putting his arms up. Do you think he'd fare better defending the perimeter?
  19. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

With any luck, Amir could bite on a pump fake, fall on Richard Jefferson (or some other SF) and we could win the game because the other team was short handed.

Sorta like the guy who falls on a grenade to save the company.

Amir is very quickly becoming a big joke with his foul every 3 or 4 minute performances. Tonight, he bit on a pump fake from 5'2" smurf TJ Ford, who couldn't shoot over an arms extended Amir Johnson with a step stool.
  20. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

we are closing on miami.. let alone atlanta..