At Indiana Jan 29 7PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Some good stuff on here........

I don't even watch the game/players that closely until later in the game. I am most interested in when and how Flip starts subbing. They were bad in the first, I don't know if it was from not playing for a while. While watching I was thinking Flip should have subbed earlier just to try and break the rut. The argument can be made though that maybe they needed some floor time to shake the cobwebs. If this were any type of back to back or 3 in 4 type situation, then I would be more upset if he left them in to rot.

It is funny to me also to hear people get on Hayes for his D. Stuckey can come in and commit 3 fouls in a minute and peole will parise him.

What also impressed me is that Amir was kind of invisible when he first came in the game. Flip stuck with him and he started manking an impact. The develpment of players is a hot topic around here. For the most part you either got it or you don't. AJ is the one guy where PT will help him with the little things like sliding/moving his feet. If he can do that it would help them a lot with the Nocioni's of the world who have caused some problems for them.

Hopefully, it is the little things going forward. Cut Rip's minutes, stop playing some dudes for 18 minutes straight.

P.S. Perhaps the biggest miracle is that Flip didn't play Sheed for the entire 3rd quarter up to the 4 minute mark of the 4th because he was hot.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think that at one point in the game, Sheed scored (either made a FG or got free throws ) on nine straight touches. He finally missed a 3-pointer that was in and out to end the streak.

I would have to guess that was the longest such streak on the year for the Pistons. Maybe Rip had more in that one game where he wasn't missing.
  3. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

While I'm not a big fan of calling players (or coaches for that matter) out in the media, I think this is 1 part Flip's not so subtle way of trying to motivate Sheed to perform this way more often and 1 part frustration that he knows how good/dominent Sheed can be, he just doesn't do it consistently enough.

CB has made several similar comments in the media recently as well.

I know that as a fan (and owner of Sheed in my fantasy league), I get frustrated as well.

I don't think this was a big deal at all.
  4. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I just noticed that Dyess had 5 assists too. Man was that a good game. Too bad we won't play a small, depleted team in the ECF.
  5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

this was one of the best games of the year. yeah i'd still take a couple more mins away from dice and rip, but not too worried about it - dice's minutes are still low as a starter, and rip can handle it.

i think chauncey is playing much better this year because he's getting rest. sure, tayshaun might be affected more by minutes over the long haul, but i think billups is more affected per-game. as in, if he gets solid rest in the 1st half and at the beginning of the 4th, he's going to take the last 6-8 minutes of the game and rock it out. he makes better decisions and his FG% (and especially 3PT%) shoots way up.

i liked how stuckey noticeably got into a groove and was being aggressive and confident. yeah, it's the pacers and they don't play great D, but who cares? stuckey needs to build confidence. our bench as a whole played a great game AND it was on the road, which is very encouraging.

and don't be fooled by the fact that we could never get past a 7-point lead. indiana is a one-trick pony - 3s - and they were hot. they miss a couple of those and it's a blowout. if this was the playoffs, it's a blowout.
  6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Great stuff from everyone in this thread! I'm looking forward to seeing more games with the increasingly integrated bench once I get back from vacation.
  7. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I hadn't watched Indiana since the last time we played them.

David Harrison...let me call you a whaaambulance.

Travis Deiner. Seems like he would have trouble catching on as a backup pg and injuries have him starting. My son calls him Travis Weiner.

Mike Dunleavy Jr. is an offensive juggernaut.

Greg Kelser started talking about Troy Murphy and how he doesn't post up much...and then starting calling him Mike Dunleavy. Even the refs got the two mixed up and tried to charge a Dunleavy foul to Murphy. Other than being tall and white they don't look much alike.
  8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I usually wouldn't see it as a big deal, but it's known that they already have an extremely shaky relationship. There's no need to say it, coupled with his chastising of Sheed not wanting to be an All-Star. Just let it go. Sheed is who he is. You're not going to change him now.
  9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I think Dunleavy and Murphy have different tan levels and Murphy is a lot bigger and taller than Dunleavy so there is no physical comparison between them.

:hoops:
  10. buddahfan

Sheed has changed a lot from his days at Portland.

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Quote from Sheed on the volume of trash talking he was doing last night and the response from Indy...

"It don't matter,'' he said. "They can say whatever they want back, if they say anything. They ain't going to talk more junk than me.''
  12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Different theory. Flip is still trying to belittle the argument that Sheed, and Dyess, and even Maxiell, have been overplayed. Well,they have been. Overall, and within games. In this game, Sheed was not overplayed, and so he could do well thru the whole game, right down to the finish. Sheed does not take games off. He does not take plays off. There is no switch. Sheed gives everything he can, always. There just is not always that much to give. Flip is playing Amir now, but he still refuses to admit the need to do so, in the face of all logic.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Are you talking about Sheed or Chuck Norris???
  14. max

max All-Star

There has been a change recently on how they view Sheed and I am not sure what to make of it. He used to be praised for being a team player and not caring about stats. Now its he should be doing so much more.
  15. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

You're right. The perception of Sheed has changed while his performance seems similar to when he got here. I remember when he signed his contract (CTC) a lot of people predicted that his skills would fade. That hasn't happened.
  16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Just my 2 cents. Here's what we know for sure:
    1. Rip and Chauncey are not good enough to carry us to a title.
    2. Tayshaun is a marginal Glue Guy, he's going to fade in the conf finals.
    3. Ben's intangibles that made us great are gone, and while stat wise Dyess is doing pretty good, he still does not do what Ben used to do to make us great.
    In order for us to get a title Rasheed has to be and play like the best big man on the floor for us to win. He's going to have murder Big Z and Andy if we play Clev, and he at least has to play KG even when we play Boston. We need Sheed playing at an all-star level to win another title.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm more talking about the fact that he doesn't want to be a superstar, and he doesn't want to carry the team. He was like that in POR, and here as well (although he always steps up in the PO's).

I don't think pushing him will make him do that. In fact, it might just make it worse.

edited to add;

I don't think Flip Saunders pushing will make him do that. LB, on the other hand could probably get away with it.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I review each game pretty carefully. When asked, I take a good long look at Sheed and how he is doing. Never yet have I seen him take a play off. Yes, he does choose to shoot 3's sometimes when many people, including myself, feel he should be going inside more. But that is not taking a play off. He hits a lot of those 3's.

So I will ask you, just like I have asked many, the next game you feel Sheed took some plays off, let me know. I will be glad to tell you what I saw upon reviewing the tape.
  19. buddahfan

It seems to me that Sheed was definitely considered a superstar when he played for Portland.

Now whether he wanted to be or not, I don't know.

20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Last week on the Jim Rome show, Chauncey Billups said that Sheed doesn't always plays his hardest. He said that Sheed could be the best player in the entire NBA if he gave it his all. Do you know something that CB doesn't?