At Indiana Dec 29 7PM

Discussion in 'December 2007' started by max, Dec 28, 2007.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

The two we won don't really inspire much confidence.

Although the defense at the end of games has been better. The offense is still confused.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I thought the offensive execution in crunch time tonight was pretty solid. CB's dumb turnover in the last minute certainly wasn't Flip's fault.
  3. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

We won and are now at 8 in a row. Looking good to me.

:hoops:
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They say its hard to beat a team twice back to back. Kind of like the playoffs. For some odd reason, what made the game so easy last night, going inside a lot, was abandoned for this game.

Dyess, according to the announcers, was having this great game checking O'Neal. Its not like he was doing that poorly, but Sheed and JMAX each did far better when they checked him. Meanwhile, Dyess was settling for long jumpers, which he was mostly missing, getting few rebounds. And when he went into the post, he shot and missed a fade. Not very impressive. I won't blame it all on him though. He played way too many minutes in this game. He especially got way too little rest in the first half due to some foul problems.

In contrast, JMAX was a beast in this game. All Indiana could do was foul him to stop him, and JMAX kept making his free throws. Just imagine if anyone decided to give him some help, Indiana would have been in serious foul trouble.

Stuckey got to play major minutes in this game. He only played point in the first half, with Afflalo spelling Rip for 4 minutes between the 1st and 2nd quarters. The most obvious observation about Stuckey - he is making his jumpers. He makes them whether he pulls up or takes a set shot. His triple and another jumper were part of that flourish to end the 3rd quarter. I guess we can forget the scouting report that says he has weak jumper. This is great news, as it makes his drives inside just that much more effective. Now, he got blocked a couple of times going in, but he kept driving in and got some good results. A made layup. A dish to a teammate under the basket. A foul drawn to end the 3rd quarter, and of course he made his two free throws. Afflalo did not play in the 2nd half as Stuckey played most of the 4th quarter. (Out a the 5 minute mark about) and spelled both Rip then CB. I don't recall Rip getting hardly any rest in this one altogether.

Hayes hits some shots early to give us a boost in the 2nd quarter. That was about it for him.

Billups did great on scoring, three times catching them asleep and laying it up, and he kept hitting his jumpers. Some of these over a defender off the dribble.

The hero though was Rip Hamilton. Thats Rip HAMilTON. Remember yet again, Rip led the league in 3 point shooting in 2004. Man can he shoot the ball. A timely 3 from Rip put this one away with about a minute to go. Rip was also murder off the dribble in this game.

Can't remember Tay doing a whole lot offensively. Sheed just kept shooting outside shots, making very few.

To sum, youth was served a bit at least. Stuckey is getting the time he needs to help us in the playoffs. Hunter again was not dressed; Fabio was. Amir did not get to play. Afflalo had his minutes cut to 4. They plan to send Samb down again to the D-League soon. Yeah, sure, its 8 in a row. Great. More could have been done in this game to prepare for the playoffs. 1) Rip could have been rested more by Afflalo. 2)Amir could have played a bit so that Dyess had some rest to improve his play before he came back in in the 2nd quarter. On a scale of A to F, I'd give Flip a C for this one.

GO PISTONS!!!!!
  5. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The team still seems to have trouble getting into any offense as soon as the defense starts pressuring late in games. That has been the problem in the ECF the last 2 years. Guys start holding the ball, and they end up forcing up a tough jumper at the end of the clock.
  6. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

True, but that didn't really happen tonight very much at the end. Bad execution near the end almost cost them the Boston game, but tonight, the Pistons went on a 6-0 run after Indy got within 90-89 with 2 1/2 minutes left.
  7. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Nuttin better than a double header sweep!
  8. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Could not agree more. Dice was even missing badly from the FT line. he is playing way too many minutes and it will reflect in the playoffs. This reminds me of C web. He was a shadow in the playoffs and i think dice will soon be a shadow as well. He needs to play less than 30 mpg.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Both teams played tough defense down the stretch and yeah the Pistons held on to the rock a little longer than they should, but at least they were able to score when the Pacers couldn't. Blowouts do allow the younguns to learn, but they need games like this to learn how to execute at crunch time come playoff time.
  10. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree, Flip should have played Aj and Primo in the first half as well as giving AA more minutes in this back to back situation. No need to burn folks out now. Dice was definitely off tonight and he needs his rest for the Bucks game and the new years eve party afterwards at the Palace.:party2:
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If you trap DET's screen & rolls you can give them trouble. I watch Stuckey play and think if Flip Murray were 22 he would be this forums most popular player. They're the same player to me except I've never seen Flip get blocked like that.
  12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Thanks for the recaps folks. I am out of town and missed both Pacer games. Didn`t think the Pistons would take them both!

Boy I miss my NBALP!!
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    That wasn't exactly the type of the games we had against Cavs. Indiana plays no D and Cavs are very solid defensively.
  14. mikhail1973

Have you ever seen Flip play defense like Stuckey?
  15. buddahfan

The question is: Have you ever seen Murray play defense period?

Only if you count his occasional steals.

Comparing Murray to Stuckey is well......

Just come back in 3 years and lets compare them.

16. mikhail1973

I think we can do that.
  17. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

The problem with Flip is that he could never put it together off the bench. Start him, and he's a solid offensive player. Bring him off the bench for 15mpg, and he's flat out bad. On top of that, he doesn't have the size to defend the SG spot, so you couldn't consistently start him there. And no team wants to make him their starting PG, because he can't run an offense. You end up with the perfect storm of a theoretically great scoring punch off the bench, who can't play off the bench.

Stuckey solves a number of those issues. He's taller and stronger, so putting him in at the SG spot is no problem. Yet he can also play PG off the bench. I probably wouldn't want him as my starting point guard today, but he has played 5 NBA games in his career, and he's coming off a 2-month injury!!!. So, he still has a great chance at developing the extra nuances of the PG game that Flip never did. And even this early in his career, he looks more consistent than Flip has every been off the bench.

I'm not sure what some people expected from him this early. He's already helping us win games.
  18. whatever_gong82

whatever_gong82 First Round Draft Pick

Nice win, but I would've loved to seen more of Amir out there for McDyess last night.

That way, he'd be prepared to help us in the Playoffs in a few months.
  19. buddahfan

He can also make his free throws at a very high rate which is very important for a guy whose offensive game is dependent on getting to the free throw line.

Murray on the other hand is a career 71% free throw shooter, which is terrible for a guard.

For their careers average free throws made per 40 minutes.

Stuckey----5.5
    Murray ---- 3.0

Stuckey is just getting his feet wet. I expect that his free throws made per 40 minutes will go up from 5.5.

One can not minimize that difference for a number of reasons.

Not only does it mean more points per game at the free throw line which is a good thing

but also by being able to get to the free throw line and make your free throws

it opens up the opponents defense and makes your whole offense better.

It is also more likely to get a key player on the opponents team into foul trouble which is a very good thing.

20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Fair points all, but something tells me if Murray played the 3-8 shooting would be the issue. Maybe I am not paying attention, but I haven't seen any great D coming out of the new # 3 unless fouling everything in sight counts. I think Flip has played well this year and his ability to get inside and finish is rare on this team.