at Houston Rockets Tuesday December 7 8:30 pm

Discussion in 'December 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

We started slow, off to 5-0 deficit, we made a run to take a 6 pt lead, they hit back and we were down 29-24 by the end of the qtr. My whipping boy for the night: Ben Wallace! Might be the worse defense I've ever seen him play, he gave Scola one WIDE OPEN look after another, never fought him, never battled him, he was awful. The only thing worse may have been the rebounding of Jason Maxiel, he's absolutely pathetic on the boards, he's fat, overweight and slow, yet he's one of our best front court defenders, GOOD GRIEF! Pistons got a ton of deflections yet NEVER came up with a loose ball and instead of us heading back with the balll on offense we usually gave up an easy buckey, and-1 or trey.

Our bench kicked their benches butts, Adelman noticed and got his starters back in and Hou once again took control.

We had no answer for the killer combination of........... Lowery and Scola? Now in all fairness, Kyle Lowery is probably the best backup PG in the league, and he beat the heck out of our starting-backup combo guard.

Stuckey had a good stat line but did nothing that resembled winning basketball. Rip is pathetic, and so is Kuester if there are no changes made. We can't win with Ben Gordon shooting so poorly, and he was awful nor could he defend.

There's enough blame to go around for everyone for this loss. Daye got some legit run tonight as did Monroe. And While GM is finishing better, he still has a long way to go.
  2. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

It's time for Joe D to do something about the Rip situation. If he cares this little, I don't see why he even needs to travel with the team. Just inactivate him. No one else wants him, but you don't have to add to the problem by keeping him around.

It was bad enough when he was just playing like crap.
  3. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Diva strikes again. What a jerk, although we ought to be used to it by now.
  4. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

That block by Battier on Rip was clean.
    He was whining about nothing and intentionally got himself kicked out.

...what a jackass.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Can any of the Moral Majority on here tell me what Rip did to get tossed? It looked to me like he said "That's terrible" while walking away and that was it. Did anyone else see something more that I missed because that hardly seems like a reason to be tossed? The ref should be ashamed of himself.

The deal with Rip sure seems to be a case of familiarity breeding contempt. People act like he is keeping Michael Jordan on the bench when in reality he is hiding one of the Pistons main albatri (Is that the plural form of albatross?). It is becoming painfully obvious what a terrible fit Ben Gordon is with this team. He wouldn't play this bad with the Bulls if he came down with AIDS.

The Pistons actually did a pretty good job defending the basket against HOU layup attempts (and there were a lot of them).

Stuckey played a good 3rd Q and shot the ball with confidence, but I thought he was horrible otherwise. He should have been called for another O foul on his first drive of the game because Hayes was standing there for so long that he looked like a statue.

If Stuckey could learn to vary his pace and stop looking for people to plow into I think he would see a 25-30% improvement in his game and might actually win some games for the Pistons instead of losing them.

He did out-rebound Lowry 4 to 3 in 10 less minutes of play.

It was great hearing T-Mac check into the game with a LBJ-like cascade of boos only to hear Blaha say, “There are some cheers in there too!”
  6. dba

I don't know if it's a better team without Rip or not. Certainly the old Bengo was far better at getting his own shot than Rip ever was, but I've no idea where that guy has gotten to.

But, I've been over the Rip look-at-me-I'm-tough act a long time ago. If he got techs in the heat of the moment that would be one thing, but Rip deliberately sets out to get T'd up. And last night was far from the first time. He puts himself and his own machismo ahead of the best interests of the team. I'd suspend him a game without pay every time he did that.
  7. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

I was going to go back and look but suffice it to say that the bench unit that Q brought in was exactly the one I posted a few days ago. The rotation was almost the same as what I have been asking for. The only change would have been CV for Max in the starting rotation.

If Rip doesn't get tossed I think we win this game. Bynum just can't help us. It is not so much him but we can't pair him with anyone to overcome his deficiencies.

That line up of T-Mac, Gordon, Daye, Wilcox and Monroe had a lot of energy. I realize that they were playing against the bench but you also have to take into account that Daye and Wilcox haven't played much this year.

I hope Q takes my advice and pulls Max out of the starting line up and puts Charlie in. Run that same second unit for 10 or so games and lets see if they can build some cohesion.

I know alot of people in here keep talking about BG being a scoring machine. Something is wrong with him. The main things I have noticed about him in watching his games is that he has trouble catching and shooting. He has to put the ball on the floor first to get a rhythm for his shot. If you pay attention; he misses most shots where he comes off a pick and shoots. If he puts it on the floor; even if he doesn't go anywhere with it; he has crazy range but he has to dribble first.

The other problem I see is shot selection. People keep complaining about the number of shots he is getting but he isn't taking the shots when they are there. He is hesitating. Then on the next play he will dribble down and pull up for a three 1 on 3? It is almost like he is not sure what shots he should be taking. He was horrible last night.
  8. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Time to start Ben G and Rip to come off the bench til he learns how not to whine.
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Those are very good points.
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey does not have crazy range. It's probably his number 1 limitation. ...unless the college 3-point line qualifies as crazy.
  11. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This is nothing new with Rip really. He was always 2-3 techs behind Sheed. Most people didn't notice because we were all too busy complaining about Sheed's techs. It is what it is. He won't change.

I don't think Gordon will get out of his funk until Rip departs. In Chicago, he had a clearly defined role. And, he was in during crunch time. Here, he rarely sees 4th quarter action and is not played in a way that utilizes his strengths. Sometimes there are 2-2.5 minutes stretches where he's in the game but doesn't touch the ball at all. I would guess that his poor shot selection is partly because of that. A player like Gordon doesn't forget how to shoot the basketball overnight. He's also probably hesitant because he's yanked to get Rip more PT.

Gordon has played some of his best basketball here during Rip's injuries.
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Was referring to BG if this is in response to my post.
  13. BallDon'tLie

Rip is frustrated.
    His team is a shell of its former self and he doesn't fit into the direction of where it needs to go. He's getting tossed on purpose. He and Tay are only playing for themselves and could care less about wins and losses.

The minute that the ink dries on the sale of the team, Rip and Tay need to be moved.
  14. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It's not out of the question, though, that Walter is right. There has been a tightening down of referee tech policy this year and it's possible Rip getting tossed is a result of that. I can't say for sure, since I haven't been seeing the games myself enough to tell.
  15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

TMAC running the point as the backup point. So how is that going? Fantastic. In this game, our starters were anywhere from even (if JMAX was out there) or non-existent (if JMAX was not out there.) But our bench, specifically TMAC, Gordon, Daye, Monroe, and Wilcox did fantastic.

Notice, no CV. And our bench, in that 2nd quarter especially, just could not be scored on. With Daye dropping a couple of threes, TMAC lighting it up a bit, we certainly did not look that bad on offense either. We got a 9 point lead with that bench before they started coming out.

Coach did make a smart adjustment here and there during the game, but also left a considerable gap between an ideally coached game and what was done. He did notice for instance, that Daye was really effective out there, and left him in longer even for the 2nd half. But on the other hand, he failed to notice things like how ineffective Tay was with a solid defender on him. He failed to notice that no, Bynum can't play, not at all, if you expect to win a game. Further, we only have two point guards, so no way you play Stuckey and TMAC at the same time. It only leads to foul trouble. Coach has yet to figure out that TMAC provides little value if not out there running the point - while Stuckey rests.

If its the end of the game, and there is no foul trouble, sure, then you can paly TMAC and Stuckey at the same time.

Rip did little to get tossed. Before getting too mad at him, realize that last year, he most likely would not even gotten one tech for the same behavior. Its not Rip behaving badly, its the refs being sick with power. PS, if there is a stoppage of play do to a labor dispute - the players ought to do one of two things: 1)Insist that since the techs are given out so freely, that the monetary hit lessens. This includes more techs before a suspension. 2) Insist that a formal warning be issued, before an actual tech. And a 2nd formal warning must precede the 2nd tech. Gee, let a guy vent just a bit. The players are only human. And I believe Rip was fouled, though many angles don't show that none too clear - but the refs will make mistakes, oh well.

More bad coaching. Yes, on a rare occasion Ben Wallace managed to stop Scola. But guess what, Monroe, who has the height, was available to come in at any time during the 1st or 3rd quarters. Combine that with JMAX's ability to defend the pick and roll, and Scola is negated. It ain't rocket science. Why make your job so tough by refusing to adjust during a game? Instead, you just wasted Monroe on a player who never proved he had it going. Scola was killing us early - so address it early.

Someone said they would take no Houston player other than Scola. Well, Battier had a bad case of the flu, and still managed to turn Tay's water off. And Lowry seemed pretty darn capable of nailing threes and scoring otherwise. Oh, and Lowry plays D too. (Use to root for the guy while following Memphis when Darko was there.)

Kuester continues to have a huge bias toward going small. And this gets him in trouble. Fortunately though, he has not actually shortened up the rotation like he said he would. He just quit playing Bynum. Which must be real hard for him since he seems threatened by anyone taller than him. (Just a joke, referring to the fact he will go small in a heartbeat, but won't go big to outmuscle the other team). Now, this 2nd unit of ours these days kind of defies the norm for Kuester. Gordon is the only guy out there under 6-8 on that 2nd unit now.

Well, back to bad D tonight as CV returns to the 2nd unit. Just got to hope for the best. One more thing, yes, Summers should be playing. Unless the defense is shored up, you got to keep playing your best defensive players. Rotation shortening is for the birds. You got to play what works. Making a general statement like "It is proven that...means absolutely nothing if you team is losing game after game. Until you start winning, keep your trap shut and your mind open to players playing and contributing. Your job as a coach is to find ways for players to be useful on your team. (Useful = contributing to wins.)
  16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Amen, brother.

Rip decided to bail last night. He simply quit on his team. It wasn't about new tech rules, old tech rules, whatever. He just gave up. I can hardly watch games anymore with Tay and Rip on the team.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Oh, thank god. I misread it. I'll take you back of my crazy list!
  18. BallDon'tLie

Rip wasn't that demonstrative but he said something and wouldn't shut up after he said it. I wouldn't doubt if he said; "Hey (expletive) ref! Throw me out cuz I just can't go through the (expletive) motions tonight. I ain't felling this."

Rip knows the new tech rules and he's using them to achieve his desired outcome.
  19. dba

He clearly knows the differnce between techs and getting fined. Says just enough to get thrown out, but not enough to incur something more serious. Yep, he knows exactly what the rules are.
  20. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps the team should fine him.