at Houston Rockets Tuesday December 15 8:30 pm

Discussion in 'December 2009' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Aaron Brooks...Chris Rock...ever see them together?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Nice call Laim

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Houston 107- Pistons 96 da streak is ova

For the Pistons it was in Houston we have a problem...And the Rockets red glare....

The Pistons jumped off the 15-11 lead after a nice 9-0 run only to see the Rockets put together a 18-4 run to close the first qtr. The Rockets continued the assault in the second qtr shooting 70% and pushing the lead up to 19 points, before the Pistons woke up and closed the half on a 12-1 run and we were down 10 at the half 56-46.

Rip basically kept them in the game in the first half as he was the only Piston who could hit a shot for awhile as his running mate Stuckey was something like 3-13 in the first half. :cold: In fact in the last 5 minutes of the first qtr no Piston could get the ball to drop.

The Pistons let the game get away from them in the third and once again the rockets stretch the lead to 20...

Pistons had no answer for Aaron Brooks who danced through the Pistons paint either scoring (23 pts) or dishing out assists (10). you got to wonder while Joe had his scouts in eastern Washington checking out Stuckey, did those guys even travel down across the border to see Brooks playing in Oregon? :stirthepot:(Brooks was taken 26th in the 2007 draft right before Afflolo and 11 picks behind Stuckey at 15). Just imagine if we had Brooks and Rip starting and Gordon and Bynum coming off the bench??

Back to the game...I think we were only 2-4 from the FT line in the first half as for awhile all we took were jumpshots...we were racking up assists when we did score, but could our defense could not stop them so it didn't really matter. we finished with 26 assists (including 9 by Atkins) which should have been a victory, but once we fell behind, we took to many threes and only hit 4 of 21.

Summers got into the game in garbage time and hit one of those threes and looked decent going to the hoop.

Rip led the Piston charge tonight with 21 pts, but tonight Coach Q held him to 30 minutes, CV had a quiet 16 points off the bench, but most of those occurred in the second half. Stuckey forced to many shots and finished with an Old Stuckey like 7/24 shots and 17 pts and 5 assists.

JJ played forty minutes tonight...he;s young I guess and with only a short one hour trip from Houston to New Orleans, he should be able to get a good nights rest for tomorrow's game.

No Ariza for the Rockets, but T-mac played in his first game since last February and hit a 3 ball and grabbed 3 boards on 7 mins of play. Piston draftee Chase Budinger started in place of Ariza and had a double-double with 16 pts, 12 brds and five assists.....so nope they didn't really need Trevor...Carl Landry scored 19 pts off the bench so nope they didn't really need Tracey. Scola scored 23 pts so nope they really don't miss Yao.....Ok enough...

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Perfectly good play from our starters.

But our bench? Atkins is totally useless on the defensive end, and can't do a thing on the offensive end. And Kwame (minus 12 in this one)simply gets to plays too slowly. Ming did not play in this game - a fact Kuester failed to notice. Just who does he imagine Kwame was in there guarding? He certainly did not actually guard anybody. And on offense, Kwame is a zero because if he gets near the basket he just gets hacked cause they love to watch him brick free throws.

So this loss goes to Dumars for hiring his buddy Atkins, and for coach Q for letting Kwame play way too much in a game where he fit not at all.

Rip was plus one for this game, despite a very bad shooting quarter in the 3rd quarter. He scored 21 for us, on so so shooting. Can't blame the loss on him. CV? Missed some shots early, got closer in and put in some points for us. Stuckey? Bad shooting night. But do you really want Stuckey to stop driving in? Hey, the starters did fine in this game, they were not why we lost this one.

We did collectively go cold for strethes, but really, it was the total failure of our bench, specifically with Atkins and Kwame in, to play any defense. (Now, late in the game, we certainly had some bench players playing good D, like Summers for instance.)

Summers got some action. A bit, maybe 3 minutes, to start the 2nd quarter then much of the 4th. He looked to score inside, and he confindently nailed a three. Absolutey he needs to get a shot at playing time. JJ does not have to play that heavy a minutes schedule to keep him involved.

Daye shot well, but in this game, with the strong front line Houston uses, it was tough for him around the hoop.

Guys like JJ, Stuckey, Rip for a stretch, CV, were missing a lot of shots. But we certainly scored enough to win this one if our defense could have held.

CV was another guy finding it hard to hold position in this one.

Rip did put in a lot of jumpers, but really, do we want to revert? We have had a trend of becoming an inside team. Maybe Rip needs to come off the bench. Gordon gives us better ball handling vs. Rip, and he can attack the basket pretty well.

Bynum and Gordon sat out with ankle sprains. Still no Tay and still no word as to when he might return. (That week has gone by now, the one he said he was hopefully going to only need.)

Wilcox got in for much of the 4th. Maybe half of it? Nothing of note. Thats still a lot better than Kwame.

For people who just don't get why I harp on Atkins - tape the game - look at the defensive sequences. See just how uninvolved Chucky is at times. He'll zone up an area - but he can't zone up an area as he is too short to affect the play against most NBA players. Sorry Q, you ain't hiding Chucky very well. Try not dressing him, then the other team can't exploit his lack of ability to play NBA defense.

Got to comment on how good Daye looks shooting the ball off the dribble on midrangers. Rip is great at coming off picks, but Daye is clearly the better at making his own shots. A lot of that is just the fact he is so darn tall and lengthy. Shorter players, even 6-7 players, just do not affect his shot.

Thats about all I can think of at the moment. I studied the film on this one quite a bit before posting, which I enjoy a lot. And I enjoy reading other's comments. Everyone have a great night.

Oh yeah, JJ, while missing a lot of shots, did have some serious dunks amongst his 15 points or so. On fast breaks. And making his free tosses for and ones.

5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Chucky single handedly lost this game for us.

4 minutes and :37 seconds left in the third quarter. Enter Chucky Atkins for Rodney Stuckey. Pistons down by a manageable 13 points, 55-68. Scola is at the line for a shooting foul by Kwame Brown (also a mistake). Misses both, we go down the court, Chucky makes a 19 footer late in the shot clock to put us within 11. Rockets score, back to 13.
    Next trip down, Charlie V gets the ball on the right wing, takes Scola into the lane, spins, hits an amazing 5 foot jumper. I got goosebumps he made that look so easy (could have had it all night).
    We get a defensive miracle (no bucket, despite 2 offensive rebounds) march down the court only to have to earn a bucket by an offensive board, a Charlie V three, which SCREAMS to me, HE'S ON FIRE!, get him the ball. 62-70, we are within 8. Get a defensive stop, we could be within 5. We force Aaron Brooks into a nasty looking three point attempt, Charlie V man handles the ball out of Kwames grasp, kicks it up to Chucky, and immediately follows only to be passed up on a wide open three attempt for Chucky to get his skeet ball on. No one under the basket to board, 2 Rockets in direct contention to the shot, he bombs it.

That's it right there. A 2 and a half minute failure to recognize the hot hand lost the game. Nevermind the cold shooting by us, the extremely hot shooting by Houston, or the chip on the shoulder from getting pounded by the Raptors. We could have made it up at the end of the third quarter, but instead Chucky was playing for tickets.

6. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Chucky did contribute with 10 assists, but every quick guard races around him and the big ones like Billups shoots over him. So he is a liability out there as you say Lee and even bigger one when he starts to believe his jumper might fall. If he is going to be out there, then he has to drive to the hoop or pass....IMO

7. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I've never seen a 9 assist, 24 minute bench guard blamed for losing a game. Until tonight.

We were down 13 when Chucky came in. I don't think we got any closer than 9 or 7 the rest of the way. He can't defend Aaron Brooks. No one else could either.

If they could have stopped Brooks with Hamilton or Stuckey, they would have. They had no answer for Scola (Wallace's check), Brooks (Stuckey and Chucky's check) or Hayes who bullied every Piston inside, and only JJ had the heart to keep challenging him physically.

I'll agree with Lee on Kwame, he is less than worthless. It's bad enough we play Maxiell and high five each other if he gets 4 rebounds. Kwame isn't a passer, a scorer, a rebounder, or whatever. He just takes up space, and against an active team with shooters, he is a liability. He's a liability against anyone except a slow plodding center who will play patty cake with his tiny mittens.

But to blame Chucky, when Stuckey stunk so bad at the 1, CV struggled to put the ball in the rim early and couldn't defend a lamp post, and Maxiell was an offensive liability AGAIN....

We're simply not as good as Houston, who plays hard and hustles like us, but is capable of doing it at a very fast pace. Brooks is a better PG than Stuckey is right now. He might not be in 18 months, but right now, he is night and day better at his position.

We have only one big man (4/5) who can shoot a jumpshot. Houston has 4. They made us pay for that tonight. Sadly, one of their big men, was someone we gave away for nothing. Chase Budinger.

Not exactly one of Joe's more brilliant moves.

One more thing. Big Ben had no fouls, no blocks and no steals. That is how important to the team he is. We simply cannot compete against good teams if he is not playing at a high level. Hamilton makes jumpers, and does little else. He's not a game changer the way Wallace is. And I am pretty tired of an offense where he never sets screens for anyone else, and everyone has to stand around setting screens for him. It is not funny anymore.

We don't have a pro-style offense without a 3 point threat like Gordon. We have a dink and dunk set with Hamilton. And we have a powerball set with Atkins and Stuckey. One of these is good enough to win. One of these is good enough to compete. And one of these will yield the same results we saw in the second half of last season.

Stuckey and Hamilton have played plenty of games together, and have none of the chemistry of Stuckey+AI or Stuckey+Chucky or Hamilton+Billups.

Btw, I'm not bummed out. This sort of thing is expected. I hope the Rip Hamilton experience ends soon. It's time to move on.

8. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

First game I can remember in a while when the team didn't come out ready to play. Too much time off, something.

Stuckey didn't rest on his laurels, he tossed them onto the floor and stomped on them. Still 13-24 from the rooks. That's 29-72 for everyone else, lead by the POY's 7-24. 4-21 from three isn't going to win in this league. Since they can't hit them, they've got to find better shots, and that requires a point guard. No way this team should take 22% of their shots from three.

Anyway, I thought Wilcox a time or two looked like the player I expected him to be. And not in a bad way.​

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Just when you thought Ol Roscoe had lost a lil edge...BAM!!!! Wonderful post my friend simply wonderful.

You saw that too, I really thought that was big momentum swinger right there. But the part that pissed me off is that when Chucky launched that shot, JJ had Brooks posted up under the basket, an easy dump down to JJ would have yielded an easy 2 points, yeah that was probably the play that almost made me destroy my TV.

10. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Yeah I saw a little bounce in his step last night, hopefully Q takes notice.

If Rip HAS to play then I'd like to see Q make an adjustment. Take Max out of the starting lineup, go with a 3 guard lineup of Chucky, Rip and Stuckey with JJ at the four. I knew in the 1st qtr watching us play the whole, let's stand around and watch Rip run around until he launches a jumper was going to do us in, we looked just like we've always looked................

11. BillLaimbeer

Good summary, Roscoe.

12. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I didn't realize Stuckey started off 1-10. Or that Rip had tweaked a hamstring.

Good summary of the game.

PISTONS: One Step Back

“I felt pretty good early,” Hamilton said, the right ankle that cost him 21 games thrust in an ice bucket and a heavy bag of ice strapped around his right thigh. “But then I hurt my hamstring and that kind of slowed me up some. It was bothering me. That’s why I was hobbling around. I know every time I sat down, it would lock up on me even more.”

Interesting conversation with Arnie Kander after the morning shootaround, as he was wrapping Will Bynum’s ankles so Bynum could get in a post-shootaround workout of his own, regarding sprained ankles in general and the new shoes Bynum is now wearing.

Actually, it’s more like an old shoe. Seems shoe companies, prompted by feedback from players to make their shoes lighter, have sacrificed a good deal of the support basketball shoes once provided them. Kander took the shoe Bynum is now wearing – as opposed to the lighter shoe he started to wear only this season, and he had on while suffering the sprains to both ankles that have forced him to miss the last three games – and bent the toe upward. That’s OK. But he said if you can also bend the toe downward to touch the heel, which is what can be done with the new and lighter shoes, then it’s not offering satisfactory support.

Kander scoffed at the notion that the lighter shoes would make the players appreciably faster and said it winds up being a complete non-factor because the material used to reduce weight winds up absorbing perspiration the older material would not. He compared the newer shoes to “moccasins,” saying they’d be great for a walk on the beach but not for basketball.

13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons shot 5 air balls in the 1st quarter from 3 different players.

I don't think the Pistons are as dependant on Rip coming off screens as they have been in the past, but right now Stuckey can only choose between running the offense and not looking for his shot or looking for his shot and forgetting about everyone else. He took himself out of the game by trying to do the right thing.

Stuckey got a fortunate whistle on what should have been offensive fouls.

The Pistons D were shredded by Brooks and HOU's big men were the beneficiaries of that. An unwelcome blast from the past.

Teams that run and push the ball give this team fits.

Big Ben had a senior moment last night.

The Rocket's play by play man remarked "Oh my God, that's the worst free throw I've ever seen!" after Ben's first airball from the free throw line. Sadly, I don't think it would even crack Kwame's top 5 for this year.

I understand people are frustrated after Budinger's game last night, but I wouldn't call a conditional 2nd rounder and cash considerations nothing.

I expected this to be a tough game, they could go 1-2 and have a good trip. If they lost tonight I would be disappointed.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

When we take the choice out of his hands, and just make him a scoring 2-Guard, he seems to inherently know what to do and just make plays. I was so sick last night watching Rodney dribble the air out of the ball while waiting for Rip to run around a hundred screens.

Everyone is scratching their heads wondering how we only had 9 TO's but they had a ton of fast break points.........because of all those damn jumpers we took throughout the game that lead to run outs. Rip's return singlehandedly changed the way we have been playing the game. Stuckey the PG only took 4FT's last night. We went from attacking the paint and getting to the line, getting the opposition's players in foul trouble, geting into the bonus early in the qtr....to throwing up a bunch of jumpers that lead to Hou run outs............just sick!!!!!

15. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Stuckey stunk!

I liked when the Rockets' play by play guy had this nugget:
    "...Ben Wallace gets fouled and misses the shot...
    ...aaaannndddd he'll likely miss the free throws as well..."

A. Brooks is very good.
    Good trade for them last year when they shipped Skip.

16. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was watching the HOU broadcast last night and they were highlighting the play of Stuckey and Brooks over the last 3 games. Ignoring the fact that Hot Rod wasn't playing the point then he had far better stats, shooting %, assists (almost double).

Then the game started. Brooks can't shoot, but he can run a team. Stats are just numbers.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What was really messed up last night was the fact that Hou played 3 guards, Brooks, Lawry, and Budinger. Not one of them can keep up with
    • Rodney The 2-Guard or,
    • Rodney The Playmaker but,
    • Rodney "Stand at the top the key dribbling all day, until Rip comes clean off a pick, or drive head on into 4 defenders because the shot clock has gone down as we were waiting for Rip to get open" The PG, is damn near self check
    We got a good young player in Rodney Stuckey who's strengths we need to play to.

18. BillLaimbeer

Kgreg, do you think Stuckey would be better off playing the Shooting Guard position?

19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

LOL :pound::pound::pound:

20. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

No, I don't want to pigeon hole him into one spot, that's 20 year old antiquated thinking............