at Golden State Warriors Monday November 15 10:30 pm

Discussion in 'November 2010' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

For those who were sleeping, the Pistons fell behind by as many as 32 points in the second quarter thanks to some sloppy play to end the first qtr. Will Bynum came into the game with a little less than 5 minutes left in the first quarter with the Pistons up 19-18 and the Warriors preceded to go on 25-3 run. The first 14 were the result of four turnovers by Bynum and one ill advised shot. Not only did the Warriors score 14 points off those turnovers and a couple by 2 others, but once Q yanked him to begin the 2nd, the assault continued as the Pistons seem to be shell shocked and could not regain their composure until the lead had swelled to 65-33 with about 2 mins left in the half.

The Warriors out hustled the Pistons to every ball and their fast break was getting them wide open three balls as both Curry and Ellis continued to penetrate or find the open man.

The Pistons showed some pride and close the half on a 9-0 run to at least get it down to 65-42.

The third quarter the Pistons started to chip away at lead, trimming another 5 points off the lead when Bengo who did not score in the first half got in came in and hit a key three to get the comeback started.

In the fourth qtr, the Pistons line up of T-mac, Villanueva, Gordon, Monroe and first qtr game killer Bynum started the Piston comeback and they trimmed the lead all the way down 8 with about 6 and half minutes left in the game. We stalled for about 2 precious mins with Ellis out of the game, but our offense could not score. Stuckey came back in as the Warriors increased the lead back up 12 --98-86 with about 3 mins and change. It appeared that the great comeback had fallen short and Bynum would have to take the long trip back to Detroit by Greyhound bus.... But CV hit a three ball that seem to get the Pistons rejuvenated then he hit another long three from the left and according to Blaha it was long enough to be a 4 ....That made it 98-92 and after another miss on the Warrior end, Bengo skipped through the lane for another layup to make it 98-94 with a little over two minutes left and the Warriors fans who were halfway in the parking lot were hanging around the exits all screaming [STRIKE]wtf???[/STRIKE] WTH???? Monroe was fouled on the next Piston possession but missed two crucial FT's....Stuckey came out of nowhere to grab the rebound, but the Pistons were not able to capitalize with a bucket.

Still...the Warriors could not score on their end, so we had another chance to score TMac was able to put in a circus layup and one situation.....but he missed his FT. :(...Now we are sitting at 98-96 and less than 50 seconds left in the game....after some great defense by the Pistons, Stuckey is able tie up Curry and force a jump ball. The Warriors win jump, but miss their shot and the Pistons have the ball with about 14 seconds left with a chance to tie or win. I am not sure what the play call was but the ball is tossed into BenGo and after a couple of dribbles he is stripped of the ball and Bynum is forced to foul Ellis. He made 1 of 2 FT and that was the first point they had scored in over 3 minutes.

With the score 99-96, and only 3.9 seconds left, the Pistons got the ball into CV, but he was fouled right away before getting off a shot. The goal at this point was to make the first and then miss the second so that we would have the opportunity to tie, but nope he missed the first and made the second.....99-97 and the ball was tossed into the back court where a warrior was fouled and he hit his 2 FT's to end the game with a Warrior win 101-97.

Nice comeback but no cigar and Bynum probably rides home on Roundball Two, but in the cargo area...he stunk it up and you don't want him sitting on the plane next to you. However can't blame it all on Bynum....how about those 12 missed free throws??? Including two each by T-mac , Monroe and Maxiel?? and yep our best shooter Daye even missed two. Speaking of Daye he hit his first 2 three balls to extend his streak to 10, but then missed one when he stepped back behind the line to throw up a casual shot the clanged off the top.

Here is an oddity...Monroe played 17 minutes and did not score a point or grab a rebound.

Well we split the four games, where we could have gone 0-4, so somebody show up at the airport and give the team a big cheer when they arrive....
  2. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

It seems as if the key to us winning is taking care of the basketball. We are a very slow and un-athletic team which equates to poor transition defense, The Joggernaught is right, his teammates WON'T run.

This was a game where we needed a great performance from Will Bynum as Stuckey played almost 36minutes last night, and Will was absolutely HORRIBLE! His game is off, BIG TIME! I don't know what the deal is with him but I hope he fixes it soon. Stuckey's legs were shot, his hustle wasn't there, he looked tired at times, again he needed Will to play well for an extended period of time, but Will was an absolute disgrace to the PG position tonight.

I'm getting real tired of watching Greg Monroe trying to finish in the lane and looking pitiful in the process, again at what point in time does pride come into play?

Charlie Villanueva has been playing some good basketball as of late ON BOTH ENDS OF THE FLOOR. I gotta give him his props and tip my hat to the guy, he's even been making winning plays in games. Is it just me or did that whole TwitterGate thing light a fire under him?

Like many of you, I just can't understand the euphoric fascination that coaches have with Tayshaun Prince, I just don't get it, he's an OK player but c'mon........
  3. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Stuckey's hustle wasn't there? Couldn't disagree with that assessment more. He played poorly offensively, but he was all over the place, grabbing rebounds, playing good d, diving for loose balls... Stuckey definitely hustled out there.
  4. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

5. Mogilny

Mogilny All-Star Forum Donor

Just watched the game. ABYSMAL play after a decent start and a nice comeback. Bynums game during the abysmal period was among the worst I've seen from an NBA player but I guess seeing it from a player on the team you are rooting for amplifies the impression.

I came to think of Ernies (i think) post about Rondo showing signs of leadership when he calmed Big Baby down before fritos when Bynum was fouled during a transition play sometime in the third. He had just gathered himself after his terrible play in the first half and you could see by the looks of him that his confidence was on a thin line. While the other Piston dorks on the floor was occupied by picking their teeth T-Mac noticed this and walked up to Bynum and calmed him down with a few veteran words. Bynum hit the fritos and played alot better than in the first half for the rest of the game. This is how veterans are supposed to act.

Too bad the comeback didn't hold up all the way but I was nice to see the Pistons coming back from more than 30 behind to really make it a game.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Pun Master Forum Donor

Prince talked to his agent AT LENGTH after the game. He said he couldn't guarantee that an incident like this wouldn't happen again. Sounds like Illitch will drop his offer even more...:)
  7. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tay is so annoying. I may not be able to watch the team play anymore. I really don't care if we get "equal" value back in return. Just make a deal, Joe.
  8. Mogilny

This is some mature stuff going on! :pound:
  9. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

Prince is being honest.

I liked this game.. seriously.. I think that it was the Best Pistons Game this season.

Coming back from an 32 deficit!

MAn that is the HUSTLE I want to see, Stuckey almost dying to grab an Offensive Rebound from a carppy Free Throw shoot that Monroe, sadly, miss.

Charlie Villanueva diving and falling with his stomach over the ball.. Ben Wallace blocking Biedriens, Ben Gordon showing up late.. Daye Scoring the Threes.. T-Mac with that last play shoot, miss, Offensive rebound shoot score and 1. Impressive not because was "fancy" or "show" just because it was the HUSTLE that JEREBKO HAS!

Imagine this team like we played last night with JEREBKO ON IT!!!

Really, this game give me the Hope that I need, to believe that in a few years we will be a contedner team again.
  10. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Yeah, he isn't afraid to show what a jackass he is...
  11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

First of all, you can't blame this loss on the starters. They held their own just fine. You can question this though: With GS leaving both their starting guards out there, why go small at guard with Bynum and Gordon paired together? And why make no adjustment when they start butchering us? Yes, eventually, Kuester pulled Bynum, after we were down about 25 points.

Another question: Why try pairing JMAX and CV when neither rebounds? I noticed JMAX did not even return to the game. A case of good player wasted. Meanwhile, you got Daye playing power forward, when he is not a power forward.

So Daye hits almost every shot he takes, but Kuester sits him with no thought of using him as a small forward. His insistence on playing Bynum prevents that. Yes, Bynum did better in the 2nd half - with both their guards in foul trouble and with only one of them on the floor at a time at most.

For a bit in the 2nd quarter, we go with TMAC as the point. But the team has not done this in several games and it shows. Further, the sub pattern was messed up, so that Tay did not come in to help TMAC right away. Poor planning. Bad result.

Q got it right when he started JMAX along side Big Ben. Ben rebounds. JMAX adds terrifically active inside D. But he got Daye wrong in that game by simply not playing him. Gee, Q can't figure our how to do something right - get the most out of his players.

Some observations. Monroe is very active defensively around the basket. In this game, that activity was vital in our comeback. Being able to rebound is the art of knowing when to quit playing the strong active D and when to box out or get in position for the rebound. A learning curve. But if something is working, like it was last night, not time to change anything. All that hustle inside by Monroe on D was resulting in us getting right back into the game.

Prince is a pretty horrid passer, no doubt. Still, he needs to be in there with TMAC to help bring the ball up the floor. Something he can do. Prince was making his shots too. TMAC, playing his 2nd in a back to back situation, may have been out their a bit long altogether between the two games. In any case, his shot was not there. He found a way to score though in crunch time, driving in and missing, gathering his own rebound, and making the shot. But those tired legs. He missed the and 1.

Still, cutting a 32 point deficit down to 2 shows something. The team got it together in the 2nd half. Q did do one thing different in the 2nd half, or maybe a couple of things. He was more careful as to when he made his subs. And he chose Monroe over JMAX this time to get more length inside against their shooters. While no one player was responsible for that comeback, you got to give hats off to both Gordon and CV for continuing their excellent shooting.

My opinion on Kuester has not changed much. I still don't believe he is able to observe what is going on in front of him and make timely decisions in the game to adjust to what is happening on the court. And to compound this - his planning for a game generally is bad to begin with. The guy has a stubborn streak a mile long that prevents him from trying different things to see what works.

Still have not seen Monroe paired with anyone other than CV. Eleven games in, and again, Monroe has only been paired with CV. We have not seen JMAX paired with Monroe, not Ben Wallace paired with Monroe, both of which have a good chance of being better combinations vs. what is being used now.

And we have not seen a healthy Bynum sitting, going with TMAC at point. Hey, if TMAC, two weeks ago when he barely had his legs under him, could play the point, he certainly could make a go of it now.

So, my advice: Change things up. Use some common sense. Try planning stuff like when in the game you can bring Daye in at small forward or shooting guard to use his height advantage inside. Or when he can come up and be set up for more 3's. How about going big at small forward on occasion - with CV there?

A rotation to try: Start Stuckey, Gordon, Daye, Summers, Ben Wallace

2nd unit: TMAC, Tay, CV, Monroe, JMAX

Rip is the 11th man.
  12. Mogilny

Give Tay some of that Stuckey medicine. Let him do his sniveling from the bench for a full game or more.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Can you guys really not see the difference between arguing with the coach - Stuckey has done this as well without repercussion - and straight ignoring the coach? I am sure if Tay went on to outright ignoring the coach after arguing with him then he would be dealt with like The Humble Kid was.

It has been reported numerous times this year that Stuckey has clashed with Kuester. There have been reports of chemistry problems with the Pistons, who once were one of the most cohesive teams in the L, since JRod was gifted his starting spot. At some point you have to wonder if this is merely a coincidence or everyone else's fault as was initially believed. What will happen if the team ever goes above .500 on his watch?
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

That was crazy how quickly the Warriors opened up that lead. I switched over to watch wrestling with my son when they went to break with the Pistons up 21-20. I felt like I was away for 2 minutes and it was 32-21. I switched back to wrasslin' for another minute or so and it was 42-21. I thought I had the wrong game on.

I think Kuester has done close to a great job this season when you consider what he is being given to work with. This is not a team of shunned All Stars as a lot of people seem to think. For the most part he is putting people in positions to succeed.

A 2-2 trip is pretty good all things considered. I wish they would have continued laying down so I could have gone to bed.
  15. Brap

Brap Starter

Daye was, to my eyes, playing brilliantly last night. He was making plays for his teammates - some really slick plays -, and he was lights out as a shooter.

The Pistons used to be a team that would ride the hot hand. That doesn't happen nowadays with Rip and Tay. It doesn't matter how hot their teammate is - they make sure to get their shots in. IMO, those two have stopped being team-first players.

I think it's fascinating that the report I read yesterday said that the second year guys, Daye, CV and Gordon went out to dinner and declared that they were not going to be part of the problem, no matter what happens this season.

I was mixed on CV coming into the season. But he has worked hard and he's playing great. I can see us trading him in a package for a young true PF (to a team that needs a prime scorer) because Daye and Gordon are high caliber scorers in this league (or, in Daye's case he will become that). But I can also see the Pistons now having 6 core players going forward - Stuckey, Monroe, Gordon, Daye, CV and JJ.

It sure looks like Summers is never going to get a shot here, barring injuries. That's too bad - I think he can be a good NBA player, but the Pistons will never get value for him. He might end up being a throw in in a deal. It's quite possible that he'll be a guy who blossoms elsewhere, but the minutes in Detroit just aren't there for him.

We really need Bynum to snap out of it - but we haven't seen the 2008 version of this guy in the last two seasons. I hope the real Bynum is the 2008 version, but I'm starting to doubt him. I sure wish he could defend - I'd feel better about letting this play out.

Mostly, we need to lose Tay - as quick as possible. In another year, Rip will be quite tradeable, but we're stuck with him now. It's Tay that's just killing this team's ability to move on from the past. When he's in there, he just takes over. He shouldn't. He's not a lead player, he's a good role player. But he dominates the action to the team's detriment, and to Stuckey's detriment, in particular. We really really really don't need a guy in there who plays the game in a way that has Stuckey being a passive spectator.
  16. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:rolleyes::violin:
  17. Mogilny

CAS has really turned me around too. He's gone from an unphatombaly bad defender to a mere bad one which is enough with his offensive skill set to make him a really good bench player. He also shows some signs of hustle at occasion which makes it so much easier to like him. He will never become a excellent defender nor a hustle player but that is not his role. He's supposed to come in and be an offensive force and as long as he's not terrible the other way he's a great piece on almost any team. I say GO CHARLIE!
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

I'd like to see Summers get a shot here as well. It is things like this that aggravate me about this team.

I think all of us tend to jump on a guy coming back from injury when he doesn't play well. Hopefully he'll improve with a dose of steady minutes. He's been terrible though.

To me Stuckey goes to Tay more than anyone. Tay probably has him in an evil veteran trance.
  19. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Tough loss. Kudos to the team for fighting back from such a huge deficit and almost winning the game. But at the end, fatigue just caught up with them and they couldn't execute the plays when it mattered most. Anyways, an almost 3-1 road trip is much better than what I expected.

The biggest positive of the game was the hustle and passion some of the guys displayed. Especially CV and Stuckey. Charlie is actually playing serviceable defense lately. That's great to see. Gordon is also a great asset. Those two seem to have a chemistry going.

I wish Monroe could jump. Towards the end he received a brilliant pass from T-Mac right under the basket with nobody around him. Instead of dunking it like any other guy his size would do, he tried to flip it in with a 0.227" jump and got blocked by Steph friggin Curry. The dude is 6'2" for crying out loud. It's a lot more frustrating to see him get blocked over and over and over.

One thing that was interesting was the announcers said Detroit was one of the top 3-point shooting teams in the league. I couldn't believe it, so I had to check; and we are. Currently we are the 3rd best team in the league in 3pt percentage with 41.1%. What's even more surprising is we seem to have the best 3pt defense in the league! Our opponents are shooting only 29.2% from beyond the arc. Either we've been extremely lucky for the first 11 games, or something is working. I was very surprised about that because watching the games, I see several wide open 3pt attempts.

The gem of the game came from the Warrior announcers. They were talking about the original Bad Boys and pondering if such a team can ever be assembled again. They both agreed that today's rules pretty much made that impossible as half the team would foul out before halftime. They did go on to say that every team still needs at least one tough guy. The example they gave was, and I quote, "For example, imagine instead of Bosh, Miami had Rick Mahorn in his prime. They would be a much better team." You think? :pound:
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Does anyone think Kuester deserves credit for CCG's defensive improvement because he was on him all of last year for it or did CCG pull himself up by the boot straps?