At Golden State November 14th, 10:30 PM

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by Dlev59, Nov 12, 2007.

1. daveg725

daveg725 First Round Draft Pick

the big thing in this game is that Rip wasn't shooting ridiculously like last game--I think when Tay ggets more shots--the better off we are. we need to re-evaluate the "go to" person in this offense IMO

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

An improbable win was what it was. Even if they had lost this one in the closing seconds not sure if there was anything to complain about other than our poorus defense of the three point arc in the first 3 quarters.

To comeback from a 22 point deficit, when most of the Pistons fan east of the mississippi had turn out the lights and fell asleep is tribute to the diehards who stayed beyond the first qtr massacre. A 40-25 GSW lead looked insurmountable with no Billups or Dice, but we did have one thing on our side. Pistonforum member Mikhail1973 was in the arena and we don't lose win one of us forum roadies attend a Piston road game. :) Thanks for being our sixth man Mik.:nod::thumb:

Baron Davis came out lighting it up with Harrington and Barnes and then they disappeared in the second half. meanwhile the guys in red decided that the game was not over and chipped away first in the second qtr and then in the third trimming it down to 3 by the end of third and finally catching them at 96, before moving ahead 101-98 on a 3 ball by Sheed I believe and never looked back. Hopefully the earlybirds had their TIVO/DVR's set up. But skip to the the second half.

Pistons outboarded the Warriors by one and outpointed them in paint 46-42.

The zone defense set up by Flip in the 3rd took care of business and got the Pistons back in the game. The warriors continued to toss up three pointers and was 8/13 in the first half but only 5 for 20 in the second half.

Double/doubles by Flip jr and Max prove that the Pistons have a bench and can win without starters playing tons of minutes....in this case none for CB and Dice. Only 16 points from the real bench, but everybody contributed and the Warrior bench only scored 9 points with only Monta Ellis getting substantial PT

Anybody notce that Nelly pulled a Flip and played Davis 45 mins and Azubuike played the entire 48!!!

Great win, comeback and statement game for Flips follies...

3. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I don't know if it is reevaluating Rip and Tay's role or getting back to playing Rip to his strengths.

Whither DET's offensive rebounding? Didn't they used to be a good O rebounding club? I sometimes wonder if the word isn't out on them, play Rip and Tay rough & make CB give it up.

Then sometimes I think if Stuckey can efficiently score at the hoop and not turn the ball over then they can win as is. No bench, heavy minutes Big Flip and all.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Fun game. But I refuse to overlook the issues. I really feel The Low. I will not be fooled by this fool's gold. Now more than ever I am convinced Flip has to go. This team has a vibe that will not play hard for 48mins. I do not like it at all. When was the last Piston game we have seen where a team played hard (win or lose) for 48mins?? I can not recall one single game in the Saunders era. Again fun game to watch, but I still do not see the heart of a champion in a Pistons uniform. Is Stuckey going to be that good to where he takes a bunch of complacent-lackadaisacal vets and make them play harder and hungrier? I'm almost at the point where I feel Rip and/or Chauncey need to be traded because the Edge is GONE. I wonder if LA would do a Billups+Hamilton+1st rd pick, for Kobe and Farmar??

5. max

max All-Star

I think the other guys stepped up knowing that Billups and Dyess were out. All the starters had great games.

Maxiel is certainly making a good case for being a starter. Send Dyess back to the bench where his mins can be reduced to something he can handle.

Also have to thank the Nelson system of aways playing the same way no matter the score. All the quick shots they took really helped the Pistons get back into this one once they stopped falling.

Still can't believe we won though. Total dominance in the 2nd half. Pistons actually won the 2nd quarter by a small margin and never looked back. Take away the 1st quarter and it was quit a blowout from there.
    Amazing how much Barron Davis cooled off, it was like watching a different player out there after the 1st.

6-2. Onto LA

6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Well, the PistonsForum karma worked again. I went to the game and Pistons ended up with a win. To tell you the truth I was quietly watching the 1st quarter and a half while my wife kept asking me "what's happened to the team?" I just kept ignoring those questions knowing that the game is long and it is too early. The Pistons tightened the screws on defense and clogged the middle daring Golden State to shoot 3-pointers which they happily did. The law of averages took over and the shots that went in early on started rimming and bouncing out. We all know that even the best 3-point shooting teams shoot around 40%. The ball movement got quite a bit better as the game went on. Funny, but offense stagnated when plays went through Rip with everyone else just standing watching him. But a great win after all. We had loads of fun. Next to us sat some other Pistons fans and at the end of the game we had a fun argument going with the Warriors fans that sat behind us. One of the guys that was sitting behind me dropped his cell behind my seat and I spent about half of the last minute of the game looking for his darn phone and battery. The arena looked kind of small, especially comparing it to the Palace. We were sitting in the 1st row of the upper deck which was pretty decent view but not too good of a point to take pictures since I wasn't allowed to bring a zoom lens in.

Here're some snaps from the game:
    [​IMG]
    We got there a bit early, so I took a stroll down closer to the court. Tay was working on something with Porter.
    [​IMG]
    Sheed was shooting jumpers
    [​IMG]
    Nazr was working on some post moves with Curry and Super Dupe was doing some shooting as well.
    [​IMG]
    tip-off
    [​IMG]
    Sheed was a beast in the 4th
    [​IMG]
    Pistons Win!

7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great pix, tks Mikhail, big ups for you.:good:

Wishing someday I could attend a real Pistons game.

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Its a travesty that Afflalo/Amir/Max dont get substantial consistent minutes every game. We just look so much better with speed in the line up, and if the starters were all playing only 30 min or so, i think they would push themselves harder.

Flip's sub patterns need to change if we're not moving Rip to the bench.

I agree w/ KGREG though. Fool's gold. Fun game, but not really something to get excited about until we know things WILL change.

9. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I want some props for calling the comeback when D4 bailed.

10. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

This was the first Pistons game I watched on TV this season (we get less than 10 Pistons regular season games here).

Rip seemed to be creating this own shots now. I feel he was more effective moving without the ball and getting passes off screens, rather than slashing.

First time I saw Amir getting meaningful playing time. His dunk in traffic was effortless. Even if McDyess was not around, I think FlipS would not have played him much had Sheed not been in foul trouble (sigh).

Also first time I saw Afflalo play. I really loved Maxiell's energy too. Now I know why fans are excited to see Stuckey/Afflalo/Hayes/JMax/Amir play together.

Except for a couple of airballs, Sheed was a absolute monster. It was nice to see him posting up, banging with Biedrins and shooting over Harrington. I remember the Warriors TV commetators saying something like, "Sheed can do anything Garnett can do, and he shoots 3s better.... he only needs to bring it night in and night out".

11. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Seriously, who's MJ?

12. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Who is MJ?

:hoops:

13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Roscoe, you were correct. At halftime, you told everyone that "things would be okay, the Pistons were fine." Too bad your superior knowledge of the Pistons doesn't translate to any of your fantasy teams. :pound:

14. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

What is J-Max thinking? Doesn't he know that having a solid game will only land him on the bench for the next game? When will he learn?

Same goes for Afflalo and his 1-for-1 and 2-for-2 shooting effort. That'll get you nowhere on this team kid. You'd better smarten up.

AJ, your 1-for-2, 1-for-2, 4 boards, 2 dishes and a block in 10 minutes isn't earning you any points in Flips books as long as that lone turnover sticks out on your stat line like a twitchy neck.

15. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Can't you just enjoy the win, Mr. Sarcasm? Saunders did actually make a nice adjustment by sticking with that zone defense throughout the second half. The Warriors could no longer pick-and-roll and Nellie had no answer.

16. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Even though we played zone in the 2nd half and GS cooled down, I'm not convinced that the two were related. After they made so many in the first half, I was shocked to see how many open looks they got in the 2nd. They just flat out missed them. 9 times out of 10, they would have won that game with those same looks. They weren't killing us inside, so I'm not sure why we couldn't push out on them further.

The impressive part was that we kept going with high percentage shots ourselves. We never tried to make up the deficit all at once. And I would like to think that if GS would have drained a few more and we would have come up short, that we'd all appreciate the effort.

17. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

Actually the 3 second violation on offense creating his one turnover is a good turnover because it shows that he is getting into the lane which is more than most of our bigs do and not camping outside of it shooting mostly all jump shots.

:hoops:

18. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Let me think about it....um.... nope. Not with Twitch Saunders at the helm.

I've tried giving him the benefit of the doubt. He talks a nice game, but then almost NEVER backs it up when it counts. The only way the bench gets any PT is when he is FORCED to play them due to injury. Even blow outs aren't a guarantee. He's been known to go with the starters late in games with 20 point leads/deficits.

19. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I just saw this comment on a Warriors blog. Gotta feel bad for them, but it's pretty funny:

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The starting lineup definitely needs to change. Since we know Rip or Tay won't be sent to the bench, how bout at least moving Dice to the bench and starting Max.

Second night in a row, the opposing teams' announcers are on one hand preparing their teams TV fans about the heralded Piston defense on the other hand praising their team for penetrating it. That heralded defense disappeared a couple of years ago, but does pop up on occassion.

Props to Roscoe who in the Chat room "quoted Alicia Keys" by saying that everything will be alright" before he bailed prior to halftime.

Props also to Mikhail for being at the game and providing the Karma forum vibe to his favorite team. I asked the question in the chat room wondering if you were still there when it appeared that all was lost, but jzchen assured me with the tickets so high, you would stay to the end:).. thanks for hangin in there bro and thanks for the nice pics.