At Golden State Nov. 13th, 10;30 PM

Discussion in 'November 2008' started by Dlev59, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

<p>First, I write these reports, and post him at two boards. Before I write these reports, I read what other people have written. A great thanks goes out to Uncle Ty, who got it right. Yes, Afflalo was pretty awesome in this game. He scored 11, and made one GS player after another miss a shot. He entered the game with 6 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter, and we went on a 24-5 run. We also went on a smaller run with Afflalo in the game in the first half.</p>

<p>Of concern, Tay only got 2 minutes rest. But, wait, this was a game broadcast on TNT, which means Tay got a lot of rest. Everery commercial break was longer than normal, and halftime was longer than normal.Still, yes, he was pretty darn tired there in the 4th quarter. And this is the front end of a back to back set. We got LA tomorrow.</p>

<p>Ok, the game. Curry decided that since we have several games in a row coming up where he would rather have Kwame start, that he would go ahead and start him tonight to get the team use to Kwame starting. But GS uses a small lineup, so for this game, Kwame starting made little sense.</p>

<p>Worse, after Curry realized it made no sense having Kwame out there, he makes matters worse by bringing in a non-NBA player, Walter Herrmann. That lasted 3 ugly minutes and we were way down. Of course, there was still plenty of time left. Afflalo came into the game, and we won. The circular route, but we won the game.</p>

<p>AI scored plenty, seemed to at least fight on D. And yes, he was out there, as Ty pointed out, as we made that excellent defensive / and offensive run. Back to those sub patterns. Curry seemingly was not going to do any substitutions in the 2nd half at all after he inserted Afflalo. Sheed picked up a tech, so he finally made a substitution, bringing in JMAX for a while. Later, he brought in Bynum to spell Rip for a bit. AI did come out of the game very briefly.</p>

<p>Player by player:</p>

<p>Rip actually started hitting some shots in the 2nd half. Almost shocking to see. A lot has been said about his mourning period. Hope its over. The NBA is a business. Its tough losing a close friend to a trade. No, its not where Rip is shooting the ball. Rip has shown over the years to be able to hit from almost anywhere, off curls, off picks, set shots from the three line, whatever. Rip has just been missing shots. Again, hopefully thats over, he led us in scoring tonight.</p>

<p>Afflalo. Absolute excellence on defense. Over and over finding a way to get thru a pick and back to his guy. Or if you switch him, he manages to cover whoever. Good size and strength. On offense, the most impressive thing he did was get a couple of and ones, where his strength came in very handy for fighting thru the foul. He also hit a triple.</p>

<p>Tay. Other than looking quite dogged out there late in the 2nd half, he sure did clear the boards and otherwise have a pretty darn good game.</p>

<p>Sheed. Two consecutive triples by him gave us control of the game late. As usual, his defense was pretty darn good. Yes, they did score on pick and rolls, Sheed is not as fast as Amir.</p>

<p>Amir. Amir did get to play some. Not much. He scored a few buckets. He did not get to play in the 2nd half. Why do I like Amir starting? In this game, Golden State was killing us on fast break buckets to start the game. Amir would have been stopping those. Also, as I suspected, Curry would find it all too easy to leave Amir out of an entire half if Amir was not starting a game. Like the 2nd half of this one. I see someone mentioned their center, Biedrins, backing down Amir. Biedrins backs down plenty of people, which is why Sheed is suppose to be playing him, and was, for the most part. Amir is not the center. I liked the fact that Amir did not foul the guy.</p>

<p>JMAX. Short. Its not that he did not have a good play here and there in his short minutes. Its just that him being short, and unable to do things like clear a board, or defend the basket, kind of overrides the rest.</p>

<p>Kwame. He did have the one good post up where he finished with a simple, take his time, layup. He did contribute some ok D on Biedrins in the first half. But really, Sheed is much better at guarding Biedrins, and this leaves Kwame with nothing to do at all.</p>

<p>Herrmann. Nothing more to say about him for this game. But it is a story. When will Curry realize that Herrmann is not an NBA player? Give someone else a shot at the small forward spot. Yes, I know Afflalo can play there some, but sometimes he can't for lack of size. If Curry won't give Sharpe a shot at some minutes, then Dumars needs to go pick up a small forward. Another option, is to play our best front line on occasion, Sheed, JMAX, and Amir together, if Curry should ever happen to stumble upon this combination.</p>

<p>Always good to be writing up a win. Not much time to wait until the next game. Good nite everyone and GO PISTONS!!!!!</p>

2. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Just got back from the game. Here are some pix:

Dre and I

[​IMG]

Sheed introduced

[​IMG]

Tipoff

[​IMG]

Curry teaching

[​IMG]

Tay misses

[​IMG]

Time out

[​IMG]

Pistons win

[​IMG]

Goofing around

[​IMG]

3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

I'm gonna watch the game which I recorded while at work. But about the minutes:

that rest sure didn't help last year. I'm not buying that anymore, even though i did last year. the only great team that does a great job at giving the bench big minutes are LAL and SA, which traditionally have GREAT benches with a MIX of veteran savvy and young sparkplug-ness. Boston's Big 3 played very heavy minutes last year, and Pierce, who is certainly not in the best shape of his life, was golden when in matter.

I'd rather that Tay and Sheed don't play that heavy every night, but its not going to kill them, and its probably not going to matter come playoff time.
    Rotations are shortened, and the only guys who are really going to need developmental time are Stuckey, Johnson, and Alf. And yes, they're going to get it during the season.

4. max

max All-Star

Thanks Mik. Nice work.

5. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Thanx Mik, the pix are great.

btw excellent pic quality, mind to introduce your gadgets ?

6. Pistons Lover

Pistons Lover First Round Draft Pick

Great pixs!!! I need a camera like urs.

7. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Me too but wondering if I can afford.

8. The Palace Artest

I'll be editing this, a little halfway through the game:

~ Get Bynum minutes. Even if we have to play teeny weeny for an allotted period each night, do it, you can't glue his butt to the bench. He's AWESOME. Let's see Billups try to dunk full speed through a defense. He needs to play every game.

~ Perimeter defense. Tonight it was Rip, and not AI. I don't know what he's trying to do right now, there was a lot of room between him and his defender around the perimeter, seemingly all night. At least he's off the snide offensively

~ Why not keep Amir in today? I truly didn't get it, he was the only one who could challenge Beans. It's not like Beans is a very bulky guy.

~ I love what we're doing on offense, even if its still a work in progress. We had some careless turnovers, with Rip at the beginning of the game (very uncharacteristic) and Bynum with some rookie mistakes. Iso-ball is fine on occasional when we allow the right guys to do it (IversonBynumStuck). What's a plus is that we're doing it unselfishly as well (AI is great at knowing when and where to dish.. We'd shoot at a higher clip if it weren't for such weird bounces around the rim.

9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Well I wrote a whole story when I return from the game and hit one button and the whole site disappeared...now I have to start over:messer:

First of all yep, I met Mikhail and his wife as you can see....great pics Mik. I took some but forgot to bring my cable with me....plus I didn't have telephoto lens so I doubt if mine will look that good....

The PF karma was in the house with me and the Mik, as we won again....This is the 17th Piston road game I have attended since 1987 and they have only lost three of those, one in the 90's to the Clippers and I was there when the lost game 2 and game 6 of the 1988 NBA finals at the fabulous forum..

Me and Mrs Dre got to the arena early about 6 PM and the scrubs were out there doing the shoot around with kwame practicing his free throws with Darrell Walker. Even Stuckey was out there shooting, so I thought he was going to suit up.

Slowly but surely all of the disappeared to the locker room, and Tay came out by himself and shot three pointers from around the arc as if he were training for the a3 point shoot out at all star game. He 3 of 5 from the right side, 5 of 5 from the angle, 3 of five from the top of the circle, and then 7 out of the last 10 around the rest of the arc. Sheed came out and joined him later and practiced his left handed jumpers from both inside and out the arc. The Rip came out and shot with them......there was no AI...I mean he did not come out and "practice" until the team came back out in the warmups about 30 minutes prior to tip off...

Everyone has already weighed in on the game, but let me give some of my takes and some crown interaction

first of all, bad move by MC to start kwame. He missed two ez short jumpers and Biedres ate him up in the paint. second bad move, putting Fabio in the game...Maggette who had only scored 1 point up to that point got three quick fouls on wally and then paraded to the FT line.

Bynum didn't have his greatest game, with 3 TO's and when he and AI were out there in the 4th qtr, the O became stagnent and predictable and it allowed the Warriors to come back and take the lead. Good move by MC to bring back rip and SHeed at the six minute mark to restore order. Playing Alf down the stretch was an excellent move too. The two threes by SHeed were the game changer that basically told the warrior fans that their hope of knocking off the Pistons for the second straight year was a pipe dream.

With the score 98-93, I saw Joe pull out his blackberry to check his bet in Vegas, and when Sheed stuffed it to give the the Pistons the magic score of 100=victory, Joe got up and exited the arena. (funny during the game he seem to be more intuned with watching the Piston bench than watching the game...) guess it is review time and he wanted to see who was paying attention to the coaches and who was goofing off. Anybody else notice that Dave Cowens rarely participates in the time out huddles?? I kept checking and he each time he was on the outside the huddle talking to the towel boys, or some TNT camera gaffer.

meaningless stats 50 points in the paint baby!!! They will need that many tomorrow to stay with the Lakers.. Tay who had only 2 points at half and his worst scoring night since AI arrived, had 16 boards!! All of the starters but Kwame, average 40 mins...with a game tomorrow:skull::(

Crowd/fan oddities lot of pistons fans in the house, but not as many as I normally see at the Clipper games...first time I had been to piston road game in 4 years where no one yelled DETRRROIT Basketball!! One guy had a Billups jersey on that he had taped Iverson name over it... One warrior fan had a RUN TMC tshirt on and it looked brand new....didn't those guys run together in the late 90's???

Oh well time to hit the sack, I will watch tomorrows game from some restaurant in the Fillmore district and then get home in time Sunday to see the Suns game from my adobe in SoCal.

Good game, good win, good nite :beer:

10. The Palace Artest

~AI even shooting at a turrble clip was awesome tonight. His steal leads to fastbreak magic every time. He played much better defense, which, if the right guys are on the floor, can change the entire game within 2 minutes (3rd quarter run). It wasn't good that he was missing those layups in the 4th however. I'd rather he be in the 18-20 shot range, he doesn't have much business going over on this team with this many scorers.

~We are doomed without Dice. I don't want to see Brown and Hermann playing extended minutes. (they were chased out of the game before it got too ugly)

~Taysahun Prince: Rebounding monster.

~Perfect shot selection from Sheed tonight. Let see this distribution every night.

~If nothing else comes out of this year, this is a blast to watch, and watching regular season games is no longer a chore. I'm sorry if I come off as a casual.

11. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i'll have more comments later but what a FUN game to watch!! i agree with the palace artest...i'm enjoying these games

12. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Nice camera. What are using for these shots?

13. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

I missed the game so thanks for the recaps.

Dre...especially good since you were there and Mikhail excellent pictures.

And Lee...<p>good Leecap</p>

14. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I hope that with some practice Curry is able to restore some ORDER both in O and D.

....and Dices 2nd coming is not writing in the wall. When Lenz signs with bulls, you kńow, everything can happen.

Maybe I'm used with methodical execution but being less unpredictable doesn't have to mean gambling and chaos. :girl_devil: ( "devil" emoticon symbolizes chaos, gambling and other bad habits like rusty D and turnovers? )

luckily, there are 70-something games left.

15. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Mikhail, great pics, thanks for posting them! I had gotten used to thinking you looked exactly like Borat...LOL.

16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Awesome recap, Dre! Glad the guys were able to get a win with you and Mrs. Dre in the house, plus Mikhail.

Early '90s, actually. Funny how those guys are now officially Old Skool. :D

17. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Thanks. This is just a new Nikon D90 with the kit lens. My old Rebel XT died on me about a month ago or so, so I needed a new cam and got that because it also takes videos. The lens is not really a true "telephoto" giving about 5x zoom. It is the overall quality and 12 mp resolution that gives a chance to crop and get things bigger. We could start a photo thread if anyone is interested.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks for the photos guys. I have to keep remembering we have Det West (Cali) and Det East (Washington). Our posse is all over the US! :)

Stuckey is a good dresser. Nice outfit. And good to see him in the middle of the huddle.

19. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Totally. You look 100% different than the mental image I had. Those avatars really get you, I thought TaS really was a cat for a while.

I'll admit I find myself yearning for Flip Saunders during some of these rough stretches.

Starters are playing heavy minutes, but 10 guys still played last night. That would not have happened with Flip. Herrrrrman did not play well, but Curry isn't thinking of reasons not to play him. It's funny how some guys can go out there and lay and turd on the court and it's OK 'cuz it's practice for them while others are a liability.

It is pretty obvious that DET's best team now is when AA is on the floor. They started Amir early because they needed speed. It might be time to figure out a way where AA starts based on need also.

The 1st half was rough. I couldn't tell what team was the Warriors. What did GSW have, 10 dunks/layups early on? Community college is harder to get into than the Piston paint.

Anyone notice EJ hinting that he would take Sheed over Barkley in the mythical locker room fight? When Sheed broke the record for most tech's in a season (the first time) it was Barkley's record he broke.

Anyone read the article in the Free Press today where The Griever was crying in CB's hotel room the day of the trade? Oh well, off to slam my hand in the car door.

20. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:nod::nod::pound:Good one slow one...