At Denver Nuggets Jan. 9th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 1, 2009.

1. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

I agree. I think that it was good for us too try the small ball, in fact it maybe even had been asked of him by Joe D. It let us know what our line up can accomplish small and big. Puts into a better position than the rest of the league when it comes to experiance having to match up against bigger guys. We also have a winning record well into the season so I don't think he is doing to much wrong.

Biggest grief on my part is there are certain times thoughout the games were I feel someone needs to go to the bench and someone needs to comeoff the bench that we disagree upon apparently. I liked his call to foul Nene before they could get it to CB or J.R. Smith for a possible 3 point attempt.

2. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

:hail:
    Did you like how Tay absolutely smothered CB on the last play? :heh:

So true. People say they want to see more convincing wins and forget that we won the title in a year where we pulled out close games like this all year. :nerd2:

That's what I'm worried about. I'm not one to put much stock into the whole "complacency" bit, but this recent winning streak has shown me a team that doesn't expect handouts. I'm just worried that the balance and chemistry are going to get disrupted, even though I know that we need these two talent-wise.:sssh:

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

We held a very high scoring team to 42% shooting. We held the best running team in the league to just 7 fast break points. Having a very quick defender in like Amir sure has its advantages. And Kwame, he can defend the basket. It works quite well.

4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Man you are so on it with this one. I have the same catch-22 fear. I'm really hoping that when Rip and Sheed return, they GET "IT" and don't screw it up. Right now this team is playing the way Joe and Curry envisioned during the off-season:
    • Playing HARD
    • Crashing the boards
    • Points in the paint
    • Tough Defense
    Please oh please Rip & Sheed do not screw this up, please come back and enhance it!!!

5. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dyess is on a rebounding tear. Especially in late game situations. So glad he decided to come back. 3 games in a row with big rebound numbers in limited minutes. Tonight- 12 rebs in 23 min. Game before, 13 in 28 min. Game before 15 in 23 min. It's like he's got some kind of fury in the 4th quarters.

Too bad Stuck wasn't up to it tonight. However, it was a very good sign that we were able to come back in the 4th quarter with AI at the point and score 32 points in the 4th. He had about a 5 minute break in the 2nd quarter and played the rest of the game with no rest. Same with Tay, who was killer in crunch time.

This was one of those games where it just didn't feel like a W as it was in progress. We made it ugly and we made it tough for them to score. Besides Billups, they really couldn't get anybody going. And only 12 assists for each team tonight.

My only nit is that I don't think Curry should have gone to the intentional fouls with so much time on the clock. It's a good strategy if there is only time for them to get up a 3 pointer, but with so much time left, he extended the game by 3 more possessions... which is usually what the team behind wants to do. The only reason this strategy worked out is because a 71% free throw shooter happened to drain 6 straight (odds of that happening are 13%). With the lineup we had on the floor, turning it into a free throw contest was a bad gamble. However, these close games are not only good for the young players, but they are good for the young coach.

6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

A strange way to win. This Piston team has overall good talent. But the Pistons are not nearly as strong a team as they will be when Rip and especially Sheed return. Without Rip or Sheed, just not enough consistent offense especially with Dyss and Stuckey hurting. Tay has held the last few games together. If you take Rip and Sheed out, only Tay is a proven shooter on the team. AI has been an average shooter. Stuckey is just starting to come around as far as his jumpshot game. No one else on the team at this point I would call a good shooter. So without Rip and Sheed, there is a big whole in the offense. We are winning because of Curry. He is really getting the most out of limited offensive lineups.

Good to see Afflalo learn to make clutch free throws. But his jumper comes and goes. He reminds me of Fisher who came into the league with a so-so shot but eventually got one. On defense, as promising as he is, he gets burned more than he should but obviously there is still a learning curve there. Don't like the way Billips took him or that he let that Portland guy go left at game's end when the guy had just gone left a bit earlier. Curry alluded to the play in the press.

Maxiel is learning to find his way in the offense but his free throw shooting hurts--not getting better.

Kwame played ok but the free throw shooting...

Stuckey and Dyss are playing hurt. Watch out when Stuckey gets well...

Amir is coming along but at least one foul a game is of the silly variety impacting his defensive effectiveness.

Can't get excited about this team until Sheed and Rip get back. Then, I think the Pistons may get back to the elite status.

I think Joe will have to make a move to find a three ball shooter...

7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Since we've been rooting for a defensive team for the last however many years, holding a team to 90 points doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment.

But the Nuggets have only scored less than 90 points once this year. Cleveland held them to 88 points.

Minnesota also held them to 90 at Den. San Antonio and Atlanta held them to 91 at their own arenas.

Surely Carmello's absence hurt them a bunch in the scoring department, but it's still something to be proud of. Without Sheed and without Rip we've been obviously winning, but also playing some old school defense.

8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

This game marks the 10th in a row that we've held our opponent under 100 points. We allowed 100+ 7 times in the first 24 games of the season, so quite a turnaround.

Over the last 10, we've given up 85.7/game. 2 opponents in the 70's and 5 in the 80's.

Happy days are here again! :thumb::good::thumb[1]:

9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I missed this game. Ahhh!! Damn defective DVR, and stupid friends that actually think there's stuff to do outside of the NBA. No Sheed, Rip, Stuck for the 4th, Tay with the last shot, AI with the strong 2nd half (thank you NBA TV), sounds like POR game redemption.

Does anyone remember the name of the site you can DL games off of ?

Off to go read the recaps . . .

edited to add;

I see the AI/AA connection was in full effect; 17 points for Arron!

10. armygirl

armygirl Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Great win for the home team. My only regret is that I haven't been able to watch the last couple of Pistons game thanks to the upcoming presidential inauguration.

One of the best things that I have noticed in the box scorees is 1)Dyess' rebounding numbers and;
    2) rebounding and consistently holding teams under 100 points

More than the boxscore highlights, what is even more impressive is; the pistons players that are on the floor are not arguing, %%%%%ing, moaning and complaining to the refs, how refreshing. They are just ballin.

I am with the rest of my fellow forumites who have concluded that Sheed and Rip should take a lesson from their Pistons peers and "Just play Ball"

Since we now know what the Pistons can do without two of their starters, just think of how dangerous we can be with Stucky, Dyess, Rip and Sheed at 100%.

I am still seething over the 1 point loss at Portland that robbed us of our potential 10 point winning streak.

What a dilemna for Curry, deciding how to play the starters when everyone gets healthy, specifically, who will be that sixth guy off the bench.

11. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

If you ever find such a site, pleaseeee pass it to me.

12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'll look for the link. It might be in my website history. It has pretty much every game, but it does take a few days/a week to get it up. I'll get back to you.

13. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

I'll help you and others out. ( I found this site yesterday) This site replays only NBA LP games.

Games start at 15 min mark, so be patient.

OneNation::NBA Replays

14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Thank you. I'm going to try it. I still can't find that other link though. :swear2:

Also i see people complaining about complaining and no complaining. :stirthepot:

I think for the most part eveybody's been good with crediting Curry. Sure, his rotations can be retarded and ppl comment on that, but the toughness he's instilling into the team has been praised without question. And now that he seems to be actually focusing on the defense and rebounding and it's producing tangible results, it should only get stronger.

I don't know if this was mentioned, but if Stuck is injured and Rip comes back and then we switch to the AI/Rip back court and stay big and roll the same way . . . ?
    Regarding Dice; i commented on this in another game thread on how we couldn't take KB out in the 4th of the POR game b/c he was great on LMA, and how we couldn't take Dyess out b/c he was doing his 4th quarter "I will kill you to get this rebound" thing. LOL. He's possessed at the end of games. He comes flying in out of nowhere like freakin batman or something.

15. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Theoretically I still think KB should start with Sheed and 6(dumb)fouls aka The Windmill should be the first big off the bench. Tangibly 6DF should start, but I still can't see them matching up with BOS and I fear that teams will start to go at him and make him defend the ball. He is probably the worst on the ball defender of all the bigs if not the team.

What I love about Curry is how involved he is with the players. Hearing him tell Stuckey to get his hands away from CB on D or telling Kwame not to trap on D etc. The sensitive types might disagree, but I loved it when he blew up in the POR game when bad Kwame missed a dunk and fumbled an easy pass out of bounds. I also loved when he screamed at 6DF 'What did I just say in the timeout? What did I just say?' when he was called for 3 seconds a little while back.

MC did a nice job of staying the course in 2nd qtr staying with the bench when a school was being built.

The Nugs must go broke with all the little accessories their players wear.

If anyone is going to Tuesday’s game can you give TGRH a boo for me if he insists on starting?

16. Blue

Blue First Round Draft Pick

George credited McDyess with the strip of JR Smith on that last drive to the hoop, but the replay showed it was actually Iverson that made the play. I was never sure that I would ever see AI making a defensive play down the stretch to help seal the game, so it's good to see him buying into Detroit Basketball on both ends late in games.

This team is tough now and they are fun to watch, even with injuries.

17. AI IS GOD

AI IS GOD Second Round Draft Pick

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

thx AIG. I caught a little of the postgame last night but I can't remember any of it. :o

Nice to finally put the Chauncey Billups/Denver Nuggets ghost to rest. I don't think I would have been able to take a week of renewed "we shouldn't have traded Billups" discussion.

19. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

I am not sure if I watch the same game as you and alot of people on this forum. I happen to thing A.I. plays pretty solid D, just in a differant way than alot of other people do. I think he tries to analyze the other teams sets and plays the passing lanes. He is always knocking the ball out of bounce and often comes up with the steal. This saves energy. And to be realistic, can you really expect a guy of his age, stature, playing 40+ minutes, being an explosion on offense and playing hump your leg defense? I don't think you can.

20. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

I'm glad I'm not the only one really enjoying this aspect of the games.

I look forward to watching Mike up and coaching these guys during defensive possessions. It's really good stuff.