At Denver Nuggets Jan. 9th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'January 2009' started by Dlev59, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Gutsy win in an ugly game.

Nugs announcers said nothing about Stuckey being out, as far as I remember. They also thought Afflalo was a rookie...WTF?
  2. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Missed the whole third quarter. Nice way to close the game defensively though, and AA came up huge with those fts. What happened to Stuckey?

AI has his faults, but he is a real competitor and he doesn't give up easily. We need that after the complacent culture of the last few years.
  3. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

I'll take the win tonight but the Pistons sure didn't deserve this one. What's going on with the pathetic shooting at the free throw line. Curry's line-up changes tonight didn't make sense at all. Is he going to let Tay average 40 minutes a game the rest of the way so he's going to be worthless come the playoffs?

Kwame Brown is my least favorite Piston and I just can't stand that he has all world talent and such a weak game. Yes he gets rebounds and is a big body but he's a liability in so many other ways.

Afflalo always works hard and look at what an asset he is during crunch time. He's the opposite of Kwame and is my favorite Piston player.

Chauncey sure didn't look heartbroken they didn't win this game. He'll probably go out afterwards to dinner with his "dudes".
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

firs time in this year game become so excited so that I totally forgot that I had signed in chat too...

My apologies:diablo:

I hope that CB is happy for his best friends win. :greenapple::greenapple::greenapple:
  5. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

This clay isn't dried out yet.

I can still be molded.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I forgot to mention, what a great win for McDyess. He didn't deserve the abuse from the Nuggets fans. He already gave up a lot of his health and career to that franchise, which never did do right by him.
  7. max

max All-Star

For AA to step up and hit those 6 consequtive FT's in crunch time was very impressive. Very few players can do that.

And Yes AI does not get tired as the game goes on - he gets better.
  8. roscoe36

lol, i just hope you are having more fun now. These games have been very entertaining. This Pistons team is so tough.

Re: Stuck - Had back spasms during the game...
  9. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

WE WON BABY WE WON BABY!!!
  10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Agree. AA looked really cool under pressure. Very poised, very impressive. I think I'm starting to understand why AI likes to play 40+ minutes. Good win.

When the injury bug bites, it sure bites hard...
  11. airmcnair06

airmcnair06 Second Round Draft Pick

Everyone keeps mentioning the fact that they didn't have Melo, but forget that we didn't have Sheed or Rip...which I think are bigger factors than them not having Melo, so I think all these games are winning are great. But this whole nail biter thing must stop once Sheed and Rip return. It feels like we're getting lucky. It doesnt really feel like wins when EVERY game goes down to the wire, but it is exciting!

I bet Sheed and Chauncey are on the phone right now getting ready to meet up for dinner or somethign along those lines. Haha. We'll always love Chaunce here in Detroit.
  12. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I see what you're doing there. :stirthepot:

By the way, I just want to point out that I called this win a little before the end of the third quarter. :MusicBigGrin:

You're welcome.
  13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Wow. And, Wow. Wow. What entertainment. And a win. 8 of 9.

I am going to start out with JMAX, a guy who gets way too little respect in the forums. We won, with him playing down the stretch in crunch time. Great D, a recking crew around the basket. The other team hates expending all the energy they do to attempt to keep him off the boards.

Dyess had another good rebounding game. Good job there.

Amir started, and again, we won. Pretty high percentage of wins with him starting at this point. His highlight - after finding noone to pass to, he drives in and hooks it in.

Kwame played all the 1st and 3rd quarters. And did what he does, be a true center, and providing decent D against their bigs around the basket. He pulled down his share of bounds too.

Afflalo was given quite a few shots to take. Man I love that. His shooting game will never grow if he does not get multiple ops like that. He did so so, but then was perfect in crunch time at the line to give us the win. It ended up ironically enough that a missed free throw by Denver helped give us the win - after we had done terrible at the line as a team most of the game. Oh yes, of course, Afflalo played fine D. Afflalo also made a reverse layup and got a tap back to go. (where many I am sure were surprised on how far he got up for that one, and with that kind of timing.)

Stuckey has a bad back. He still managed to give us some O. A few outside shots made, a couple of drives in. He did not play in the 4th, if I recall, except for the first 3 minutes. Afflalo and AI, the pair of guards I think should be starting for us, ended the game.

Well, the Billups / AI thing looked all CB after a half. AI was missing a lot of shots. He did help get them into a bit of foul trouble, so he was not a zero for us, but he was pretty bad. And CB had 20, looking awful good doing putting the points up.

But the 2nd half, AI scores 20 for us, and CB is held in check pretty darn well. Denver started out the 3rd quarter about 3 for 20. AI hit a pair of triples, but otherwise got all those points at the line or by simply laying it up on them. Pretty impressive how he kept getting inside on them, and the fouls he was drawing were just as important as the points he was putting in. And by the way, that poor free throw shooting, that was none of it from AI who was 9 for 10 at the stripe at one point - and did not miss any after that either.

Tay was the hero in this one as much as anyone. Not only did he score readily, he was key in defending Billups down the stretch, playing a good game of keep away. Denver had problems running their O with the point guard separated from the ball. Tay got his on some outside shots, and by driving in a lot. Still has only made one three in the last couple of months. Still getting overplayed, no doubt.

Well, I mentioned that just because Stuckey was young, that does not mean he can handle 40 minutes. That back of his, I wonder if that was connected to being overplayed. Lets hope that is temporary - but remember, although people in these forums consider Stuckey such a great player, it continues to be Afflalo that keys are wins by his defense. And Afflalo had the flu, or is getting over it.

They went thru quite a list of Piston ailments. Good win considering. Good, gutsy win.

I see one poster thinks this game is some evidence that AI and Stuckey should not start together. One, we won. Two, we have been winning over and over. Three, tonight, Stuckey was injured, so this game is in no way representative. Give it a rest until some time down the line when Rip is playing again. This could be months. You just don't know how long it will take for a muscle tear in the groin to heal.

Hard to believe Sheed is still out. Great that Kwame is getting the minutes though. I hope upon hope that Curry will not mess this all up when Sheed and Dyess are both healthy again. When they are healthy, play all five of our bigs. There is room to play all five, and that is what will get us to the playoffs both rested and versatile.

Bynum played just a tad. Nothing to take from that, except they were trying to limit Stuckey's minutes a bit.

Herrmann played. Did nothing. Well, he did make a pair of free throws. But really, the Denver player who fouled him has to be kicking himself for fouling on such a totally rediculous shot. What was that? This guy is not an NBA player. Some kind of PR gimmick as far as I can tell. Stop it already.

Small ball is almost dead. The Herrmann / Tay forward pair for a bit was the only time we went small. Otherwise, we always had either Dyess or Kwame in at center, and one of Amir or JMAX in at power forward.

Great win. Great to be 2-1 on a West Coast trip while shorthanded. Not so great to be facing a back to back tomorrow night in Utah. I look forward to seeing how we are going to win that one.

GO PISTONS!!!!!

I see in the ESPN writeup that Curry is quoted that Rip will not play tomorrow, but may play Tuesday. (Note, that is that he may play Tuesday - Sheed has been on this status a few games now. Could be a week or more before we actually see Rip play.)
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Tay was interviewed on NBA TV and he admitted that they played poorly/ugly the first three qtrs and just hung in there playing good d down the stretch grinding the game out to for the win. We have given a lot a credit to Stuckey these past few games, but realistically Tay has been the glue during this stretch...he hit the key three and the go ahead hoop tonight.

Cheryl Miller and Steve Smith were the in studio commentators talking to him, and Cheryl hit it on the head that the Olympic experience he got playing last summer has provided him with the basketball intelligence, attitude and experience to help the Pistons hang in there while 2 of their big guns have been sidelined this year (09)....
  15. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Great Leecap...

I have not seen a Piston win like this since Ben Wallace left. Unfortunately some folks around here still just don't get it, these games are alot of fun and they are providing playoff-pressure type scenarios. Think about this, imagine if we asked ourselves these questions last season:
    1. Can we win with Sheed on the shelf ?
    2. Can we win with Rip and Sheed on the Shelf ?
    3. Can we win with our starting PG, who is putting up all-star numbers with back spasms and essentially on the shelf with Rip and Sheed ?
    4. Can we shoot poorly from the field and the FT line and still win ?
    5. Can we depend on Tayshaun to come up HUGE down the stretch ?
    6. Can we trust our defense to get the final stop to secure the win ?
    7. Can we just OUTWORK the opposition for 48minutes and simply wear them down ?
    Oh BTW, we also need to do all of the above on the road, on a westcoast trip at that, against a division leader, in a hostile environment.......

Joe was determined to rid a cancerous complacency that had fallen on this team (No 1 person was responsible for it either, so I'm not calling Billups a cancerous complacent) this west coast trip is PROVING that the cancerous complaceny is indeed in remission.
  16. max

max All-Star

Well, I am not seeing anyone complaining about anything so far. It looked like CB was going to steal the show but he seemed to peak in the 1st half.

I was looking forward to seeing CB and Stucky go head to head. We will have to wait until March to see that as I don't think Stucky in his condition was a fair matchup. CB would not have had that easy of a time blowing by him.

Gotta love how AI took over in the 2nd half though. Amir seems to be making progress. Kwame had a good game but its like a roller coaster type thing. He can make some great plays and then sometimes has a hard time completing a simple pass. Seems like he is either doing something great or someting awfull. Sort of the same thing with Maxiel in a way. You think he is invisible until he runs in for a slam back.

Has Tay improved his jump shot or what. Also is much better on defense and rebounding this year.

Rebounding has been outstanding. Took some time but Currys system is starting to work.
  17. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They sucked hard. I just hate homerism when it comes to a profession. Sure, fans can take a one-sided view of things, but these guys are getting paid to offer expertise and insight. You can't even do a little research before the game to learn the opposition? Tossers!

And how many opposition announcers still talk about stuff from 6 years ago? ie. Still crapping on about Rip's curl (which hardly happens anymore) and "he is like a mini Reggie Miller!" :suspiciou

It also seemed like they were mispronouncing Afflalo's name as well (Affalo). They kept bringing up his FT% at the end, making it sound like it was a fluke. "Rookies aren't supposed to shoot like this at the end of a game", or "Wouldn't you know it, he shoots the lights out, well above his season %"

Get a clue!
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I was happy and proud of these guys when they cut it to 5. They've been running uphill for awhile now and it was looking like it could have been a just one of those nights blow out. Nothing wrong with a 2-2 trip under these circumstances.

I wonder if Curry is purposely playing Tay more to toughen him up? As good as he has played though I don't like it when they iso him to end games. In the name of progress it is probably a good move.

I couldn't help but chuckle as AI was blowing by Mr. Big Fizzle in the 4th. I'm a little disappointed I didn't see a tumble though.
  19. boozy

boozy First Round Draft Pick

I know I along with everyone else wanted to vomit at seeing all the missed free throws in this game which if made would have made this game not even close. AA really did pull through.

Longest 24 seconds of basketball I ever remember. Was sick to my stomach on the Iverson foul on J.R. Smith. Liked the idea but it needed to be quicker or not at all.

Was suprised to see Acker pulled back up from the D-League for this one. He must be feeling like a yo-yo atm. Also glad to see Detroit get the Nuggets into a little foul trouble earlier on, I think it definately helped us stay in this one.

I was litteraly humming the EWOK victory song to myself after we won this one. If I am Michael Curry though, after this road trip I would make the next practice nothing but free throws. At least for Kwambe, JMax, and Prince.

GOOD WIN!!!:cheers:
  20. roscoe36

Same here. I think I mentioned in chat that I was content they didn't get blown out when it looked like that was a foregone conclusion early.

Our front court isn't good enough to start for most of 29 other teams (KB and 6Fouls). I can't believe it to be honest.

############

Curry reallly doesn't get enough credit. This is LB sorta ugly ball. And while people second guess him, he's been a pretty good late game coach. His team plays well out of halftime, and they haven't rolled over in a long time.

Of course hothead #1 and hothead #2 haven't been around to take a stupid foul or give up a tech (and sometimes a possession) late.