1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

at Denver Nuggets Friday February 26 9:00 pm

Discussion in 'February 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. CloudWalker

CloudWalker Bench Warmer

Wow. What a harsh nickname.

Whats even harsher is there was a time when the two of us (among others) were happy for the pickup.

2. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Caught the 2nd half. We were making baskets, but it never really felt like we were executing well. Too skittish, and relying on tough J's or lucky deflections.
    I think Stuckey's new nickname should be 'The Shoulder'. Probably 50% of the NBA have it's imprint on their chest. Unfortunately, it doesn't work too well.

Hoping Gordon would get hot? J.R Smith > Ben Gordon. Matching up Daye on Melo was ludicrous and probably the reason he was able to get going in the 4th. Nice call NoQ. But I'm happy he got some burn. You can tell he has some skills but he is going to need it consistently if they want him to get better. He hasn't grasped the speed and strength of the NBA yet, and you can only learn that on the court.

I thought maybe Big Ben was hurt, cos I don't remember seeing him out there in the 2nd half. Is it just me, or is everyone else having de ja vu seeing Q struggling to deal with these new (for him) situations such as hack-a-Ben when it's stuff Flip Saunders has already been through. Most of us were fed up with Flip by the end, but how annoying is it watching someone who isn't even on his level? Ho hum...

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

If you look at the last two games together, it might make more sense. Afterall, they let Bynum of all people play in crunch time last game. And hey, even I was thinking Ben Gordon should have been out there over Bynum. But, and this is big, it does not make sense. It was a mistake last game not to finish the game with Ben Wallace and JMAX in together, and it was a mistake this time. Trying to belatedly correct something from last game makes no sense at all.

The reason why I said to avoid pairing Big Ben and JMAX - like a month ago - was that neither was doing a lot of scoring. But right now with JMAX having his shot going, it makes all the sense in the world to pair your two best defenders to end a game.

And by the way, speaking of JMAX, here is something Kuester is doing right more so than any previous coach. JMAX is playing regular, steady minutes, and getting a steady diet of shots. And like I have been preaching for years, if you do just that, JMAX can make his shots. Now, once upon a time, one coach tried to go overboard on that and gave JMAX more minutes than he could handle. He wilted under the minutes. Hey, but just because someone can't handle starters minutes does not mean he can't handle 24 or so per game.

While mentioning ancient history, we got two rookies one year. Amir and JMAX. Neither got a sniff of playing time. In Amir's case, he was just 18 and waiting to throw him in there made sense. But JMAX was a four year college player with not just an NBA body, but a supremely strong NBA body. JMAX should have been playing for us regular minutes in his rookie year. This is something that our past coaches have just completely messed up on, getting the best out of JMAX. And its the one thing Kuester has done right. Unfortunately, about the only thing.

4. max

max All-Star

I don't know guys. Lot of experimentation out there for playing the 2nd best team in the West on the road. Not only the Day on Mello thing as Web pointed out - and I am glad Day is getting some time but was that the situation. Also he had BG playing the point with Stuckey at SG for a bit in the 4th.

I almost hope they are throwing games because we are stuck with Keuster - for next year at least. I just can't see a team on the marker eating a coaches contract, considering that we have actually payed more for coaches to leave than to coach lately.

5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I saw the second half too and it was surprisingly tight as one point it appeared that no matter what the ex 2.5 pistons did (CB Alf and Melo) we might still pull the upset. But some silly mistakes and TO's in crunch time and allowing Alf to hit the three ball and CB to penetrate and get to the line you could see this one slipping away. I was on the phone the whole time so was only half listening to Blaha..'' Wished I had taped it ....

As Lee said, the Billups vs protégé Stucky matchup prove be fruitless as it relates to getting the most out of each shot,.....Stuckey took 20 shots to get 19 points and Billups took 11 shots to get 25 pts. For CB to be 11-11 from the FT line and Stuckey 0-0 means that Stuck gets no calls or he does not know how to attack the rim and get a foul. Even Rip was able to get 11 FTA. Remember when we had the RipandBillups combo and got an averaged 18 FT a game from just the two of them and they hit 90%.... CB and Melo were 19-24 from the line tonight and the Pistons were 14-20.

We could use a guy like Arron Afflalo hitting threes from the corner (4-6) and playing defense instead a high price Gordon hitting 1-5....whose idea was it to get rid of Alf?? Could have kept him and save that cash.... In fact even JR Smith coming off the bench looks better than either of our two new FA :yellowprison:

Oh well at least we are still in the running for [strike]being Americas Next Top Model [/strike]getting a top 5 lottery pick.

6. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

As I watched the game that EXACT same thought came across my mind as Alf hit his 4th trey. I really wish we would have offered David Lee the same contract we offered Bengo, but hey hindsight is 20/20, and yes I did indeed drink the Bengo and CV Kool-Aid that Joe poured.

Over the next 4 years I don't see Bengo being any better than Rip, I also can't see how the 2 of them will ever coexist.

All 100% absolute TRUTH!

7. max

max All-Star

I am sure they can trade Rip. But do you want to? May have to since I can't see anyone wanting BG for what he makes.

Remember when Bynum set the Palace record for the most points in a quarter. He clearly out-played Afflalo last year. One guy goes one way and the other get better. And we look like complete idiots for trading away someone like that for a late 2nd round pick. Especially when the guy we needed the money for has hardly played.

What can you do. Sell the team quick and get an owner who cares.

8. Brap

Brap Starter

Last night we couldn't buy a good call from the refs down the stretch -- really changed the game. Some of the calls were very putrid, including a defensive call against Stuckey in favor of JR Smith, where Smith reached out and grabbed Stuckey's arm. Obvious call resulting in two FT's. Immeditately followed by STuckey getting clobbered going to the rim - non call.

We shouldn't care too much, I suppose. In time, Stuckey will start getting a lot more respect. In the meantime, we're racing for ping pong balls.

Stuckey played a very strong game last night, but Billups, characteristically, played great down the stretch. Maxiell is turning his career around. He's been a consistently very good force off the bench.

Jerebko got reamed all night with bad foul calls - but in the time he was in, he was wonderful including a series of plays where Melo probed but didn't find an opening to beat him off the dribble from the perimeter, and settled for outside shots with Jonas's hand in his faced which he missed each time. Jonas played another strong offensive game. I'm trying to figure out where his upside potential is limited, and I don't see why anyone would think it is limited -- this guy is showing wonderful offensive potential. He's great around the rim, he's got really excellent handle, he moves the ball in the flow of the offense very well, and I think he's going to be a really good 3 point shooter, he's got terrific hands, and I think he's got fantastic BB IQ. Why aren't we willing to say that his potential is an all-star in this league?

I'm very glad Daye is getting minutes. David Thorpe said a couple weeks ago that Daye's having been getting consistent PT will make him a much better player next season. To that end, I really would like the Pistons to find a way to get Summers consistent minutes as well, through the end of the season. Honestly, right now, I'd sit CV down. Hell, get CV's foot right. Right now, that guy is less than useless to us.

As for Bynum and BG - we're watching two guys playing at a very low level due to their injuries. I have great confidence in both those guys. Next season, it's highly likely they'll be back to their explosive selves.

9. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

stuckey +4
    Rip +10
    wallace +13
    prince +9
    JJ +6

AA -2
    Billiups -5
    car -8

Bench

Max -18
    daye -14
    bynum -9

Just saying..... 3 of our starters played 36 mins we don't want them playing anymore then that right? all 3 won there mins on the floor. the wonder ex pistons or almost pistons all played roughly 36 mins and they were all negative. Our great bench players who need more time on the floor? all negative.

Now the two savior free agents did totally stink it up, but the plus minus sure tell a different story then what recaps keep telling me as they read them.

Starters are suppose to win the games, ours did.... denver's didn't.... Subs are suppose to keep it even, ours blew chunks and denver's won the game for them. The game was lost imo in the 2nd q when we were totally blown out of the water while the subs including daye were on the floor, if i remember right he was -11 in like 4 mins in the 2nd q.

soo.... do folks want games won or unready rookies getting mins?

Just saying

10. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I know. I can't even blame Joe for signing him or Gordon, because I thought both were decent moves.

Of course, I didn't think Ben Wallace would be starting, I thought we would be scoring close to 100 PPG, and running up and down the floor, where both guys could focus on their strengths (offense) instead of constantly being exposed for their weaknesses (defense).

I can't understand how Joe spends $15 million on free agents, brings them off the bench, and then doesn't run a system to help them be effective.

Charlie, Will and Ben have little interest in defending. But when CV tried to do a quick move on Lawson, instead of using his 1+ foot of reach and size in the post, I think my brain melted.

It probably doesn't help that if there is one team I want to beat all year, it is the Nuggets, so I don't have to read about Afflalo and Billups.

11. roscoe36

I want the ready rookies getting minutes.

Daye doesn't have an NBA body, and has no business being in a NBA game in crunch time. None. He's strictly a novelty act at this point in his career. My opinion only of course.

I like to compete. I can understand losing if we compete. If we try and fail, that is ok. But if we try, then we stop trying for 8 minutes, then we try, then we stop trying for 5 minutes.... that is difficult to watch.

I saw Atkins was dressed last night. Why we continue to play Will Bynum right now is absolutely mind blowing to me. Atkins can't matchup with Lawson, but he can play Billups decently. Bynum at this point in his career, cannot defend a fire hydrant.

12. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Very interesting, was it a proverb or a special metaphor. It's red, it's planted on the ground and dosn't move, it spurts so it reminds me of Shaq :) .

13. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

agree with this 100 percent but folks not only want daye getting his mins mindless win or loss but want our other rookie getting mins too. Games are 48 mins long and what happens in the 2nd effect the outcome as much as the 4th, 5 mins of game that lose 12 points to the other team is bad enough for a playoff team to overcome let alone our team that is just bad and looking to get better.

Bynum has either been totally figured out and that ship is sailing on his career of being a major player, or he's hurt and needs to sit on the bench we have a ton of guards... but him being better then stuckey right now? please

14. Kidstealth

Kidstealth First Round Draft Pick

What exactly was that call? I was so pissed about it I didn't even catch the "official" foul.

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

In my book priority no1 is to let Rip and tay to play - possible trade opens minutes for rookies and eases financial burden for team.

playing rookies over rip and tay makes both undesirable trade objects and financially team will remain to middle of nowhere: over salary cap, under lux tax. Not good for developing team.

16. baller

baller First Round Draft Pick

Damn right. It's really frustrating for him the way the judges are favourising other players. I wonder how long it takes to gain some freakin respect from the judges.. he can actually play D.

I would love to have some judges from europe, without knowledge about the individual players in the league, judge some games.

Regarding the offense of Jonas, he has really proven he can score in many ways. I think it's about time to run som cind of play for him where he gets a screen and attacks the paint. He can finish in a lot of ways around the rim. I can't recall him getting a screen set for him at all. Last 10 games he has shot 48/77 fgm -> 62.3 fg%.

17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The problem is those two guys had the reputation as being poor defenders before they came here. I don't think it's just the injuries.

18. baller

baller First Round Draft Pick

I agree. I'd rather keep Rip and Prince than those two. At least Rip and Prince can play D.

19. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Great post and you were right on point about the officiating. We couldn't buy a damn call and especially Stuckey... he got hacked at least three times that weren't called and of course that bogus foul on JR Smith.

20. roscoe36

To be fair, in realtime it looked like Stuckey fouled him. Only on the slow mo instant reply did I see JR hook him.

And it was a pretty savvy move by JR, the type that JJ is learning from Ben, but Stuckey and Bengo have not learned from Rip.