At Denver Feb. 25th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 24, 2008.

1. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

Not only 3 in 4, 2nd of a back to back in two different cities... all on the road, but only 30 hours earlier they spanked a "championship" team by 30. It was a loss written all over it and we pulled out a win.

The kids do need the burn, but I also think we need to start holding them accountable for there play... they need "some" mins handed to them each game but for extended mins they need to earn them in game. I didn't watch it with my eyes so i am making judgments half supported but by looking at the stats the only bench player that played well was stuckey, Amir has been great in the plus minus numbers lately and last night he was negative... he did get in he did get a chance to make a difference and he didn't have it last night. maybe its the back to back for him? remember he's not use to the nightly grind yet. Lets see how they kids come to play wed.

Were a work in progress, and as long as we keep taking steps forward think how scary we can be in June.
  2. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

I'm glad I read this before I left my apartment this morning to take on the world. Such defiance inspires me.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

From McCosky's blog.

1) Magloire being considered?
    2) Our boys laughing at AI before the game? That's funny.

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/blogs/pistonsblog/index.cfm?blogid=1202','128'
  4. max

max All-Star

I was trying to think of a team that would make everyone happy. I think I may have found one in the Bulls. They start a rookie along with the youngster Thomas and their bench plays more than their starters. Two of their bench guys played 37 mins last night.
  5. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Excellent post, minor edit

The bench was not strong today with the big things, but they bought time and treaded water.

Amir showed his youth taking some marginal (read: weak fouls that should never be called) fouls, but still made some real nice things happen.
  6. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

12 players each playing 20 mins each, each player playing atleast 2 postitions a game... preferrable 3 or 4, each player getting atleast a double double.... starters are expected to get a triple double.... must win each quarter by atleast 20...... average score of games needs to be 150 to 40...... 2 starters are rookies, no starter older then 28, only one player among the 12 allowed to be over 30.

Think that might keep 90 percent of the fans happy.
  7. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i thought this was one of the most fun games to watch this year. AI is a competitor man...denver was desperate and gave us shot after shot, yet we played our game, didn't overplay the starters, and pulled out the victory.

for those complaining about minutes...only rip played over 40, and tay played 37. remember when tay played 37 minutes NIGHTLY? i'm not going to complain about one game where he not only had carmelo to guard, but responded with 20 points, 6 rebounds, and 9 assists on 8/15 shooting. and in the paper today said in the past 15 games, only TWICE has someone played over 40 minutes (rip, and he can handle it).

stuckey may have deferred to rip, but we were + in the 4th quarter when he was on the floor, and he didn't back down from AI after an unfavorable call, and played good defense to get AI to step out of bounds. he had a few bad games so he's probably trying to find his way again - seems to come in spurts where he rocks for a few games and then struggles. not uncommon for a rookie.

can we get some love for dice? he's 2nd in the league in rebounds per 48 minutes in the past X games (forgot the exact number), and has 3 straight double-doubles, shooting 21/31 (68%) from the floor.

i'm excited to see if stuckey can get it together in time for the playoffs and become consistent. he and afflalo have off games, but remember they are rookies, and stuckey especially is playing at the harder position to learn in the game. amir and max are in their 3rd years.

imagine if you were a denver fan - how would you like 3 guys playing over 40 minutes and your 4th starter playing 37?

oh and najera is a spaz.
  8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

It's good to see Dyess play well but like last year it took half a season for him to get it together. Amir can do the same things.
  9. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

I'm excited to see if Stuckey's J stays this solid, when he makes them they look very pure.

Dyess has been making the most of his minutes, he seems to thrive with minutes closer to 30 than 35

Seemed like AI was out there for 48 mins.
  10. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Brian Fantana: No, she gets a special cologne... It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
    Ron Burgundy: It's quite pungent.
    Brian Fantana: Oh yeah.
    Ron Burgundy: It's a formidable scent... It stings the nostrils. In a good way.
    Brian Fantana: Yep.
    Ron Burgundy: Brian, I'm gonna be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline.
    Brian Fantana: They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
  11. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I just wonder what happened between the PHO game and this one for Flip to alter his rotation? Rip was keeping DEN in the game early and he ran him until the 9 minute mark of the 2nd.
  12. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Don't give yourself a headache. There is no logic in the rotations.
  13. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sometimes, rotations are based upon matching up with the opponent. Contrary to what some people post in here, you can't script your entire 48-minute rotation before the game begins.

Did you see how many substitutions the Nuggets made in the first quarter?
  14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Chauncey had a couple very bad turnovers, he was chucking bad shots all night, and the Delfino-esque foul late in the game sealed the deal. If JR didn't choke he may have just handed them the win on a rookie-type play (Which he had done a few times in the past mind you). And yes, Rip "had his moments". When the shot fell, he was good, but I'm not a fan of taking all of these 21-foot jumpers with a hand in his face.

Basically, I don't like some of the habits of these guys thinking it's no problem to take bad shots at any point in the game. That has burned us in the playoffs the last 2 years, and they're still doing it. Maybe I just expect more from them than you do.
  15. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

No, but in the regular season, you can keep it pretty consistent. Rip and Dice don't need to play the first 15+ minutes straight in any situation. That is where Flip goes wrong. When he doesn't make changes early (ie bringing Max and AA in with 4 minutes left in the 1st), it makes it difficult to get everyone playing time, and all of the starters the rest they need.
    The Nuggets are desperate for a win. Not only have they lost 3 games in a row, but they wouldn't be in the playoffs if they started today. The Pistons are in a different situation, so they shouldn't look at their opponent for guidance as to how they should rotate their players.
  16. max

max All-Star

Billups shot 5-12. 5-12 is chucking shots all night?

You know what he is Billups, thats just who he is and he is not going to get any better. He will have some better games than last night and some worse games but he is never going to be everyones ideal PG. Still a darn good one though. If you can find someone better than him that the Pistons could have signed last summer I would like to hear it.

Last night he did draw some fouls, had 8 assists, 2 steals and did a decent job chasing around their quick guards and setting the tempo of the game to the Pistons liking.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You can't use Maxiell getting over 20 minutes per game possibly being too much to excuse Afflalo often getting just 8 minutes per game, or less. Or Amir not getting played at all for much of the season. And maybe Maxiell is getting too many pregame drills. Maybe slacking off on that would give him more energy in the game. In any case, Maxiell, at his worst, still manages to help us win games by bringing energy into the games. One other thing, when I say play the bench more, I never make any kind of demands that an individual bench player get overplayed. Just that they get some steady minutes. Ten or fifteen per game, every game. More if they can handle it. If five bench players can't play enough minutes to keep your starters well rested, add a 6th bench player to the mix.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Welcome back adonis! We'll expect you in chat soon! :D
  19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

The adorable one WAS in the chat. U missed it, big fella! We welcomed him with open arms (and open legs.....):MusicBigGrin: