At Denver Feb. 25th, 9:00 PM

Discussion in 'February 2008' started by Dlev59, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

Good grinder game for the starters. Nuggets lost in the last few seconds on really what amounts to as lack of controlling the clock and mismanaging the fouls.
  2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Ugly win tonight, but we'll take it. The Pistons only shot 43% from the floor, but it was enough because the Nuggets bricked their way to 36%. Tay, CB, and Rip each scored exactly 20. Rip struggled in the first half but got it going during a key stretch of the 4th, and some big shots by CB and Tay were enough down the stretch. Some bad turnovers popped up from time to time, but the Pistons still only had 11 for the game, with a big 29 assists to get past that key total of 25 that almost always gets them the win. CB brain-locked and fouled J.R. Smith on a 30 foot desperation shot with the Nuggets down 3 in the final 10 seconds, but J.R. missed the 2nd FT, and the Nuggets misfired on a good chance to tip in his next miss before the Pistons grabbed the ball and clinched the win with CB at the line.

Bench was pretty bad, only 12 points total. Hayes went from 18 against the Suns to a big fat 0 tonight. Stuckey was lousy in the first half but actually played pretty well for most of his stretch in the 4th quarter; I think he was -2 in the 2nd quarter but +6 in the 4th.

Nice start to the road trip, with one flawless win followed by a painful but gutsy victory. Even if they continue their endless losing streak at Utah on Wednesday night, a win over the Clippers to end the trip would result in a very nice 3-1 record. And if they somehow break through against the Jazz, they'll have a great chance at 4-0.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Kind of a slow lull type of game. Not much flow either way. Pistons had a comfortable lead at the end, but almost blew it on a dumb Chauncey foul. Stuckey needs to stop thinking out there. I am still not sure what his role in today's game was. All he did for the most part was bringing the ball up the court and then giving it to Rip. Did anyone notice AA's defense on AI? He hounded him and slowed him down considerably. Not sure why Amir didn't get more burn, perhaps because Dyess was playing well with a double double and with Denver's slow bigs didn't need that extra speed. I wouldn't mind seeing AA get a few more minutes and have Rip sit for a few, he'd be fresher in the end. Hayes didn't do anything while missing 3 shots he took. Still would love to see Hermann play some meaningful minutes. Bench had 12 points in 56 minutes and although the guys struggled offensively, their defense held them in the game.
  4. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Herrmann is slower than hayes and against of melo it could have been really stupid choice. And I'm sure, when herrmann is not able to play in practices better than hayes then no PT
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Another road win as Pistons beat Nuggets and Refs. Good coaching job by Dantley, with Karl, we would have blown them out...:)

Just the meaningless stats tonight.

29 assists tonight =38th win in row when they have dished out 25 assists or more.

FT's >Everybody perfect at the line with the exception of the two clanks Max threw up in the third. Last night everyone was perfect except 2 misses by AJ

All starters in double figures for the third straight game, three players CB, Rip and Tay score 20 a piece

2 straight games where Dyess has logged 13 boards.

4th straight game of 98 points or better (3-1)
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

lpgrl on Sheed three,

I agree. It is a lame play at the end of the game. Of course, one of these days...

The starters were spent from yesterday and the kids were just so so.

Yes, Amir should have played more.
  7. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

2nd of a back to back. Rare air in Denver. And yet Flip decides to overplay his starters. He did one thing right though, leaving Billups resting until the game got within 5 minutes. Billups had the energy needed to make a couple of shots, including a step back 3 that put us up 7 and in control of the game in the last minutes.

Stuckey hit a couple of jumpers. Nice. Remember he missed a bunch of shots last game. Practice for this one. The more Stuckey shoots those shots, the better he will be in the playoffs.

Though not a lot, Amir and Afflalo did play. I don't like the short mintues they got tonighty, however, this was a back to back set. On back to back sets, I judge coaching over the course of the two games. For the two games as a whole, our youngsters got plenty of playing time. They will not get rusty from not playing tonight. Another game comes up on Wednesday.

Tay had the midranger going real well. Rip hit enough to get near 20 points. Sheed did some scoring at least and Dyess had a good night shooting. I like that he did some damage here and there at the basket. A nice double double for him.

Amir had a pretty darn good minute during his brief stint in the first half. (He barely played really in the 2nd half.) He stopped an alley oop play, got a rebound, and then a tip in all in short order.

Maxiell hit a jumper. Thats been missing from his game of late. Maybe the legs are coming back.

Hayes did not do a thing in this game. No shots made, no defense played. Well, he still has yesterday. Lets all hope for more yesterdays, cause it don't look like Flip will ever give anyone else a chance at backup small forward minutes.

We have to sign Dale Davis by March 1 to use him in the playoffs. The latest we have heard is that as of last Friday, Dale Davis has agreed to terms and must pass a physical. I don't see any updates out there, just a lot of articles stating the above.

Afflalo played very, very little in this one.

Of note, you almost never see a team get two delay of game warnings in the same game, resulting in a technical foul free throw. Denver was silly enough to delay the game a 2nd time, and we made the free throw. Then at the end, Denver fouled while the ball was still not inbounded. Another made technical foul free throw for us. We'll take 'em.

This back to back set resulted in two wins against quality teams, and our young guys got lots of minutes in all. Not a bad start to a road trip. Lets see what happens Wednesday at Utah. There are indeed a lot of people who trust Flip not in the slightest. They firmly believe that Flip Saunders will find a way to derail this team. So on Wednesday, will he play the bench extensively, or will he back off from that and start the destruction. It seems such a simple choice. Play the bench a lot, and win in the playoffs with a capable bench, and rested starters. Or go out in the first rounds by burning out your starters and having an incapable bench for it not playing enough. Seems simple, but who knows what drives Flip Saunders toward failure? Why will he not choose to win? All we can hope for is that he changes. That he actually starts looking forward to winning in the playoffs and looks at every game the same way. A step toward preparing for the playoffs. Like I said, I will give Flip a pass for tonight cause the youngsters did play a lot yesterday. But tonight can not get repeated very often.
  8. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Lee, please. I loved the recap, but not the melodrama. Like you said, we won back-to-backs on the road against two quality opponents while plaing the bench plenty. Let's not pile on Flip because he MIGHT start doing things wrong, give him credit where it's due and at least wait until he does mess up to crucify him for it.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed's clutch is broken. Needs to get a new one before playoffs start.

However, CB is such a weapon in the 4th that it is almost a joke.

Afflalo's defense is spectacular. I can't believe he was giving AI trouble.

One thing I noticed tonight especially, and maybe Flip did too, was that Amir wasn't even trying to box out. I'm honesestly not sure if he did it one time in this game. That is why Amir and Max aren't the best pairing. Amir doesn't box out and the oponent can go over Max's back when he boxes out. It is 1 area for improvement for Amir. He's doing everything else very well.

How did we win this game? Rip, Dyess, Prince were all on fire. Yesterday, the heroes were CB and Sheed, and tonight we decided to go with the other 3. Brilliant. Chauncey did win it in the end, but we wouldn't have had a prayer if those three weren't making a lot of great shots. And the subtle way that we won was that we didn't let them fastbreak like they wanted to.

They were getting the calls, and we just kept hitting shots.
  10. max

max All-Star

Just finished watching the re-broadcast on tv20.

I enjoyed this game. Couple of heavy weights battling it out wating for the 1st one to blink. Rip finally got the Pistons over the hump mid-way through the 4th and the Pistons were able to survive Denvers late run in the 4th. One of those things going into the 4th where I knew someone was going to go on a run and I am glad it was the Pistons.

I thought the game was called pretty well. Couple of misques from the refs but overall Carmello and AI are almost always looking for the call so its a tough thing sometimes. They did not always get it but as often as they try it can take away from their offense.

Pistons did a good job slowing down Denver and forcing them to work in the half court. Nice bounce back on the rebounding from the Pistons as it appeared to start off as another one of those games where we would give up a lot of points on the offensive glass.

I love how we can bring in our bench in the 2nd quarter and rest our starters when the other team still has their starters out there. Flip is gaining a lot of confidence in the bench and Stucky co do not seem to care who they are playing against, they just keep executing the plays.

Nice win on the road against a good West coast team. Rack up another win.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Dang, some of y'all are impossible. This was a most impressive win if there ever was one. 3rd game in 4 days, in three different cities, and a west coast back to back against a team that is very good at home, aaaaaaand that home is Denver, The Mile High City, where the altitude is an advantage.

The bench played poorly, but with some bright spots. AA played very good D on AI, Max was so/so - not good- but not bad, AJ was eeegggh, Jarvis SUCKED- Tough night, and Stuckey struggled running the point but was hitting his midrange J's. But they ate up mins on the floor without allowing the Nuggets to get a lead. Which all that we needed as 4 of 5 starters really had it going tonight, might be because the bench played so well in Phx that the starters were rested for tonights game. See that's the bigger picture when it comes to depth, the bench's production doesn't have to be there EVERY night to have a positive effect on the team.
  12. max

max All-Star

I kind of forgot about the 3 game in 4 days deal because no Piston looked tired out there. I was worried about this trip but the worst we can do now is a 2-2 split.
  13. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

A win is a win, but I wasn't too impressed with anyone in this one. Dice and Tay were alright. Rip had his moments. Chauncey was terrible. Sheed was bad. Arvis returned for this one, and brought his idiotic defense with him. Teams should know to just post guys up against him and it's an automatic whistle. He doesn't know how to fight for position without mugging the guy. I thought AJ got the yank a bit early. He never got a chance at any minutes with the starters even though it seems to be an automatic run for the Pistons when he does so.
  14. max

max All-Star

Amazing when your starting point goes for 20 pts, 8 assists and hits clutch shots down the stretch is deemed to have a terrible game. Tay 20 points 9 assits 6 boards. Rip who got us over the hump in the 4th puts up 20 points 8 boards and 6 assists, yes he had his "moments" as his shooting finally broke the stalemate with 8 straight points. Dyess 16 points with 13 boards. Sheed 9 boards and some fine D.

Not to mention how hard it is keeping up with a quick team like Denver when you just played the day before.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I wouldn't agree that he was terrible, but he definately wasn't good. Stats aside, he took bad shots, contested ones. He was forcing too much, and seemed unconcerned at times with running the actual offense. He was trying to "show off" in his hometown. He did hit that clutch 3 and then almost gave it back with the foul. I give him a pass though.

I'm glad he's from Denver though, and not from Boston or CLE. :)

It's wierd some ppl play great in their hometown, and others struggle. I remember it taking forever for Wade to play well in CHI.
  16. aurora

aurora Bench Warmer

Well I just finished watching the tape I made of this game because I mixed up my basketball fan schedule (the critical one) with my "real life" schedule and I had to go to dinner at a friends. She was channel surfing and I had to keep telling her to lower the volume so I wouldn't hear a score by mistake.

I didn't really think this was an ugly win at all. Yeah mistakes were made and I would have liked to see more of the bench players. I'm of the opinion that we should not want the #1 seed in the East, so I think we need to lose some games instead of setting the world on fire anyway. And as Denver is my 2nd favorite team and has been for a while, I wouldn't have minded if we'd lost this one by a few points.

I like almost of all of what we are doing out there right now. I thought Rip was spectacular. I'm all for Chauncey's threes now (I've recovered from last season's Chauncey 3's PTSD) because it seems like he has better shot selection on them. Sheed is fascinating to watch every game lately. And then watching our Pistons find a way to win was cool, even if it was against a team I really follow and watch alot. Mostly what I appreciate about our team right now is not so much that they are winning, winning, winning but that they are now interesting to watch again.

I do hope Denver makes it into the playoffs. I'm going to see them play Seattle tomorrow night. AI is my favorite player and I saw him last year but in seats that were way high up. This year I'll be closer to the away bench.

Hey, I even thought Dice did well tonight! And Tay was excellent on containing Carmelo.
    I watch the Nuggets alot, and the game is usually alot easier for him than it was tonight.
  17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You can't limit what I write. I write what I am thinking, and what many others are thinking. (I read a lot of posts before I post - and I talk to a lot of fans.) I am not going to lie to you and say that I, and many others, trust Flip yet. This is how it is. If Flip earns trust, than I will note that. It is a long way from happening yet. For one, the excuses not to play the youngsters extensively has got to end. There are no valid reasons at all for what he did last night. Another thing, if Hayes ain't got it, taking him out of the game is not enough. Somebody else has to be given a shot at those minutes. Its going to completely wear Tay out if Flip does what he does last night for a backup to Tay (just overplay Tay) continues.
  18. adonis

adonis First Round Draft Pick

Finally i have my cable and internet. Now i can follow my favorite team and log into the chat room. (i moved to a new house).
    Gooo Pistons
  19. adonis

just a joke Lee, do you think he will be around when he gains our trust?
    Dont get me wrong, i am not big fan of Flip. Actually i am LB big fan.
  20. adonis

We always ask for more minutes for our Bench. but maybe, the bench is not ready to play heavy minutes. I thought that Max, can play 30 min a game and this will give Dice less minutes, it turns out that even the "power house" Max can't afford mroe than 20 min per game. He lost his touch now. I think we over react and the assistant coaches decide better on how many minutes could each player (bench + starters) can give a game.