At Dallas Oct 15th 8:30PM

Discussion in 'October 2009' started by max, Oct 15, 2009.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rough game, so I'll try not to get too bummed. Missing Tay, Villanueva, and Ben Wallace, which is a lot of fire power on both sides of the ball.

Just initial impressions:

Stuckey looks a lot more confident in his jumper. Not sure if it actually is better, but he was seeking shot attempts, and some of them looked pure.

Bynum was quick, but couldn't seem to get the space to drive and didn't do much when he was thwarted. Jumper looked poor still.

Daye seems very Prince-like. Obviously the light skinned, tall skinny build makes him look like him from a distance, but he also has touch and court awareness that is unusual for a player that tall... similar to Tay. The only real difference is the solid shooting mechanics vs. Prince's homemade stroke.

Kwame did look solid. He plays good, safe defense and rebounds his area well. Offense was rough but opportunistic.

Wilcox- No real opinion. He was just sort of there... except for that sweet dunk.

Jerebko has the hustle and some strength. He looks good enough to stay in the league for a while. The scouting reports were very good on him though, in that he doesn't seem to know exactly when to lay off (similar to Amir). JJ will annoy some more opposing players this year if we play him. The one thing he did very well was run the court, which paid off a couple times.

Washington- not sure there is any real need for his talents this year. We have hustle players who are taller and serve other purposes.

Summers- couldn't tell much. He looks bigger than I was expecting. 3.5/4 position.

Overall, it was really obvious how we have too many big men who have no comfort in the post. Kwame, Wilcox, Maxiell, and Jerebko all had that simple, forced post move vibe when they were in position. They all seemed to crash the boards well enough, but their games aren't going to draw any double teams this year. You can add Ben Wallace to the crew as well. It remains to be seen if CV wants anything to do with the post this year. All of this makes it tough on our guards.

And the defense? Well, probably not so much this year.

2. max

max All-Star

To me it's not "small ball" until Prince plays the 4. That's what really burned us last season and it took Curry like half the season to figure that out. Under LB small ball was Corliss or Ham at the 4. Maxiel does not count as he is a beast and a natural PF for his size.

I am fine if they want to run Rip or even Stuckey at the 3 for stretches to increase tempo.

Too bad we could not have seen some of the wins as we would have felt a little better about tonights loss. I left the Palace last Sunday feeling pretty good about our teams chances this year.

It's probably good for the young guys to get blown out in a West coast game. Give them a taste of what it will be like and take them off that high horse they were on with all the easy home games they had.

3. Nemo

Nemo Fantasy-Football Snub Forum Donor

They are what we thought they were. :)

4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I caught just about the first 3 quarters of the game last night. I was having a real hard time figuring out who was who. At times they looked pretty good and at others looked like a lot of those teams that they've slept against the last few years.

I thought they moved the ball pretty well on O and seem to have a solid idea of what they're trying to accomplish when they had they ball.

Kwame and Wilcox made some nice passes and plays off of each other.

Kwame looked pretty good.

Stuckey looked better shooting J's.

I wasn't impressed by Jerebko at all except for the fact that he looks like Richie Cunningham or perhaps more accurately his older brother Chuck.

5. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

Dirk nowitzki's new haircut should cause some vibes among women...

Am I a woman /gulp/?

6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was. He flew to the ball on every rebound. Easily the most active Pistons big.

My early impression of him, is that he is not intimidated at all by playing in America or against NBA players. He's out there scrapping, and that is the sort of 9th men we need. Guys who get in and fight.

Also he put a little English on that one breakaway dunk going reverse, which again, I think says a lot about his comfort level.

In face, Daye and Jerebko look like they are second year players. If anyone looked slow and unimpressive, I thought it was Maxiell.

7. round

round All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion

I agree with you on max.... he's still regressing from what i can tell... and with 3 young studs ready to eat into his mins, if he doesn't get it in gear soon he'll be sporting a suit soon...

The dallas announcers even commented on max getting out worked for loose balls.... thats not the Max from 2 years ago.

With all the names being thrown out about folks wanted traded, I'd actually say Max should be high on the list.

8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Seems like JMax has a problem playing in Dallas. Just ask Brandon Bass.
    ...might be just one of those things.

9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Not sure if Max is hungry these days. I think, Max thinks, that he has the potential to be something other than what he is, a high energy, scrappy, garbage man- JJ seems to really, really, really, want that role, JJ is also a legit 6'10", he also handles better and shoots better than Max, at least on film. I think JJ smells blood and is willing to shed blood to get on the court. I'd be trying hard to move Max for any expiring deal or draft pick that came my way.

10. roscoe36

Did anyone notice Kwame hit back 2 back FTs? Then he horribly bricked the next 3, but for a brief moment, I was really excited. I don't know that I have ever seen him hit two consecutive FTs before.

11. detteam

detteam All-Star

I don't think Max could be moved on his own. He'll have to be packaged with either Rip or Tay.

12. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That only serves as additional motivation!!!!

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Giving players away is easy. It's the getting something worthwhile back that makes it tough.

We have extra guards, extra backup SF's, and extra big men with athleticism and no touch.

We need defenders and a center with scoring ability.

Prince seems the most needed current player at the moment.

14. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

What if JJ really is a steal. The guy who can come in and give you 15-20mpg of pure grit hustle, rebounds and defense, let's say he does it well enough to make Wilcox and Maxiel expendable......hmmmm, I'm just sayin'

PISTONS: Take 5

15. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

not available.

16. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

True, show me the team not named SanAnton and Orlando that don't need that.

17. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe I need to re-watch [STRIKE]the game[/STRIKE] the film, I was a little out of it. I saw an inactive guy who fouls a lot. I'll check it out tonight.

I don't know if it is lowered expectations, but it didn't seem like a lot of guys were playing out of position.

18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I too agree that Maxiel is a commodity we can afford to let go, (but who wants him).. The comment about him sporting a suit is a real possibility, but once that happens, his confidence will be shot forever...especially in Motown.

19. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

JJ has a chance to be our Sideshow bob, Rodman, Noah, Junkyard dog, Biedrins combo that will be a thorn to the opposing team as long as he gets minutes, what I mean by that is ..eligible minutes, because right now he appears to be in Amir territory as it relates fouls and potential foul outs...

20. roscoe36

I'm getting a good vibe from Q. I think guys like Jerebko will play at least a couple hundred minutes this season.