At Dallas Mavs March 17th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 15, 2009.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

My fear is this is going to become a regular occurrence. He's been playing LBJ minutes.
  2. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I missed most of the game taking a phone call.

I'm surprised it ended up as close as it did. We brought a water pistol to a gun fight.

Is the bloom off the Stuckey rose yet?

BillLaimbeer said that he think Bynum is our best player. Agree?
  3. copper

copper Bench Warmer

Not sure I agree....but I sure cant argue it..lol
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

DET did pretty good in this one considering the circumstances. They got some pieces, but it feels like they should be 10 games into the season instead of near the end. They played hard.

I'm not sure Stuckey could even score on AI now.

Dyess is a lazy bum who just wants to fire up jumpers all game long. They need to get someone like Bosh here pronto.

Dallas was having a lot of trouble going over the top of the Piston D for dunks.

Solid minute for Amir so no complaints there.

Hard to deny Bynum at this point. Might be time for a line-up change.
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Way off dude....103-101 .

A couple of bad calls by the refs on out of bounds play and then some key misses from outside prevented the proverbial comeback upset win.

The Mavs shot 60% through the end of the 3rd and seem to have the game in hand with Bass and Singleton seemingly hitting every short jumper they shot. Dampier had a season high I believe in points and boards and seem to be able to score at will in the first half..

Pistons were hitting their buckets in the 4th qtr scoring 37 points, but did not go to the line in the last five minutes so there were no and 1 ops to put points on the board with clock not moving. They hit 18/19 from the line, but the last one came when Bynum hit one out of two with 5:56 left in the game.

Either Dice was worn out or he was missing those nice passes from Rip as he was a turrible 4/14 from the floor...not to be out done, Stuckey failed to step-up and was an even worse 5/19 from the floor. (but he did hit all 7 of his FTA and handed out 7 assists).

Tay was tonight's high scorer, but with 43 mins he may not be able to keep up with Artest or Battier tomorrow.

Looks like we may have found a 3 pt threat as Alf hit 4 of them, which is probably more than Herrman has hit in the last four games.

Bottom line we could not get any stops and only stayed in the game because we got a bunch of second chance pts from our 17 offensive boards and only had 6 turnovers..

Maybe we beat the Rockets tomorrow?? Sheed was on the bench, so maybe he is ready to get back in the line up??
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

No wonder Curry is grooming AI for his minutes then.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

IIRC, he's out for the whole trip. Rip says it's killing him to sit out and is trying this new strategy where he pretends he's ok and repeatedly tells himself that so maybe he's a go.

I'm not sure if Yao is still out for HOU. If Amir isn't put in to match up against the likes of Chuck Hayes, i might have to start a letter writing campaign.

If tomm's a loss, we should all be rooting for PHX.

edited to add;

Maybe the reason Bynum is playing so well is there are no expectations; he has no pressure and knows he's going to be out there a LT. He's just decisive. Stuck on the other hand looks like he's carrying 300 pounds on his back and could benefit from a GPS.
  8. brofmfa

brofmfa Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Statistically we fought a good up hill fight though I didn't have live game out here. To-morrow ? The biggest problem with our squad is they think too much to to-morrow.
  9. max

max All-Star

They keep them close. If they grabbed some of those rebounds in crunch time it may have been a different story. Just can't keep giving a team like Dallas 2nd chances.

Stucky looked brutal with his shooting but he did have 7 assists and 0 TO's. Something is wrong though. I don't know if he is afraid of contact now or is still trying to balance what a PG is. Either way he has not been looking like the franchise player that we all hoped he would be. Better to find out now so you know what you have to do over the summer.

AI being out has been a good chance to see what Bynum can do. He did the things tonight that Stucky should have. Maybe he can be our PG.
  10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Rip was out with a groin injury that flared up again. Same injury. So why was he recently seen playing the whole 2nd half of a game? Bad player management there. You got to keep a guys minutes down if he has a groin injury. Playoffs are coming up soon, if we manage to get in that is, and we are going to need Rip healthy.

No Sheed. No AI. No Amir. Amir did play, but understand, our coach is M. Curry. So Amir gets a bogus call against him, one minute into him playing for his 2nd foul, and Curry never returns him to the game.

Instead, he goes with Herrmann. Herrmann just gave up a minus 3 there. No big deal? But it was a two point loss. Herrmann did have the one drive in finger roll that he made - but his supposed good D on Dirk did not show up. And his lack of NBA speed? Name another player in the NBA that could not have caught up with that perfectly thrown lead pass to him from Afflalo? How can you be that slow and still play in the NBA. Simple. We have, in the NBA, a rookie coach who sees a whole lot of himself from his slow days in Herrmann. Curry still believes someone that slow can play in the NBA. Nope. Curry should have hung it up 4 years before he did, and playing Herrmann won't prove anything at all. Slow players - go find another league more suitable to your talents.

JMAX did ok playing Dirk to start, but after a while, Dirk began exploiting his height mismatch on JMAX.

We made a darn good comeback attempt with the following group on the floor: Playing point guard - Bynum. Bynum got 19 tonight. A lot of explosions to the basket, and some decent outside shooting.

Next, Afflalo. Good D as always. Man, I hated seeing us lose this one especially since Afflalo got the start. Four triples made on his way to 16 points. And solid, solid perimeter D. Him and Bynum make quite a pair of guards on D, and they operated pretty good together on O too.

Tay was the 3rd guy out there. Tay managed 28 points tonight. A bit of outside shooting but mostly going toward the hoop on backdowns and hooking it in.

Dyess was in there, hit some shots in that comeback attempt. But on the night, he shot horridly. 4 for 16 or something like that. And he seemed to think their was a law against going anywhere near the hoop. I absolutely do not like this kind of game from Dyess. Not one bit. Outside shots are ok to some extent, but man, you got to go inside occasionally. And guess how many rebounds Dyess got from all those misses of his. None. Since he is suppose to be in there for rebounding, it makes about zero sense for him to shoot that many outside shots.

And the last guy? Kwame. Kwame was plenty tall enough to bother Dirk on his outside shots, and moved very well indeedy to stay with Dirk if he drove in. Darn good game from Kwame.

Now Stuckey did get in the game in crunch time for a bit. And our comeback try stalled until Curry wised up and put Afflalo back in.

I see Curry making a lot of mistakes still, but you know, he seems to be getting desperate enough to cut out some of his non-sense. Unfortunately, no, I don't trust Curry to go into the playoffs with anything other on his mind than trying to prove he can win playing the wrong players and hollering at the team at the end for lack of effort after each loss. Each and every loss. Its never the coach. We will get bounced out of the playoffs in short order if Curry continues to play his games.

(If we make the playoffs.)

Dallas is a good team. Absolutely they showed a lot of talent shooting the ball. But you know, you don't have to let them get open shots so much. We could have actually played Amir more, let him do what he does best, rotate out to shooters. Not playing Amir. Just a game Curry is playing. Its a losing game, just like removing Afflalo from the rotation. Just like playing Herrmann. Just like his small ball non-sense earlier in the season. Just like his pairing Kwame and Sheed, going too big. Just like playing Stuckey, regardless of whether he can help win the game at hand. Just a bunch of games, adding to a whole lot of losses.

The good news. Curry can't lose that many more games. He will have to step up his coaching game some, play the right players, stop forgetting to rest guys. The Pistons still have an amazingly deep and talented roster. Curry has not completely messed the team up yet. Not completely. Its still recoverable. Barely.

Boneheaded move of the night: After a bunch of time standing around, swinging the ball around the perimeter and settling for not so open shots, Afflalo attacks their zone, creates some havoc, and kicks it out for a nice easy open J bankshot. Curry immediately sits Afflalo.
  11. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I just talked to my buddy who was that the game....he said that he met Kwame...............Kilpatrick who was also at the game cheering on the Pistons as he and his family have escaped Detroit and settled into a Dallas suburb away from your scorn....:reading:
  12. max

max All-Star

Lets not go into that.
  13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

He was horrible tonight, but let's not totally trash the guy. Doing my best to spin it into a positive, he did manage to knock down all 7 of his free throws tonight.
  14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

So lets not trash Stuck. Just tell me, how many times better was Bynum's defense vs. Stuck's?
  15. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

I hope that this isn't the Piston future post-Sheed. Tay was the only top-notch player on the team tonight. Exclamation point.

Yes, Affalo showed promise and Bynum did well. Stuckey continues to struggle. But really, everyone else who suited up is quite expendable and Bynum is at best a second tier player so can't get excited about his performance.

The game was really not that close most of the way.

Sorry, this is a weak, weak Dallas team who will not likely get out of the first round. Their defense is awful and they really only have two scorers in Dirk and Terry. Phil chided this version of the Mavericks in the LA press and he is right.

The Piston defense was poor once again. Dirk, who every top team stops, had shooting practice against the Pistons just like at the Palace.

Sorry people for the bluntness.

The Piston management is going to be content to stay in the 7th spot and will rest the key guys for the playoffs.
  16. daveg725

daveg725 First Round Draft Pick

Well not that it took a genius to realize, but Afflalo is playing well in herrmann's place (as I was hoping he'd get that time a few games ago)
  17. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I wasn't even referencing to how he played in tonight's game... he was AWFUL. I've already said that at least once or twice.

But saying that Stuckey can't even score on AI is a downright insult to any decent offensive player... I'm sure it was meant in jest anyway.

THAT is what I was trying to get at.
  18. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Why apologise. Your post was completely expected, win or lose. After each game, you tell us our roster is no good. I think we get it.

In response, I say our roster is the best in the NBA. Slight difference of opinion.

Do you have any actual comments on the game itself?
  19. detteam

detteam All-Star

I'm surprised it came that close with Rip, Sheed & AI out. The game is almost pointless to critique beyond Tay stepping up more than usual and Bynum having a little coming out party.
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

:lightsabersmiley: lol