at Dallas Mavericks Tuesday January 5 8:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That's not to put all the blame on the coach either. Stuckey has to knock that shot down. You aren't going to be any more wide open than that. I'm sure he makes those regularly in practice, so it's probably a mental thing when it comes to making them in games. Some poster brought up the fact that he really never shoots threes in the rhythm of the offense (only taking them when they need a desperation attempt) and I think that is a very valid point.
  2. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Yep, 1.5 attempts per game exactly. But still shooting nearly 46%. At the time he seemed affronted that the prior year some folks were saying he couldn't shoot threes. Since his prior high was 38% while only taking 42 threes, it seemed a pretty reasonable criticism. So, he got his act together, took a lot of shots over the summer, and came out a viable three point threat.

But then, as often seems the case with Rip, he checked three point shooting off his list and didn't bother to think about it again and has been going downhill every since. There just doesn't seem to be room in that balding noggin for more than one goal at a time.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

What is the average for all SG's?

Kobe shot .351 from deep last year and that was below Rip's .368.
  4. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

This is true. Right after he missed that 3 pointer both Rip and Prince went to Stuckey and what they seemed to be saying was "you'll hit it next time kid". The weird thing was, they were all smiles as if he actually had hit the shot.
  5. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

I agree with all of you guys that at this point of his career, Stucky is absolutely NOT the guy you want taking a three at the buzzer.

but what if...

...what IF Rodney nails that three-ball and the Pistons go on to win...

Wouldn't that have been about the BEST thing ever for the dudes confidence and development?

I'll give Q props for [STRIKE]tanking[/STRIKE] trying to get young Rodney Stucky some much needed confidence by leaving him in there as option #3. If Stuck hits that shot, it might have opened up a whole new facet of his game by instilling some belief in his 50-Cent lookin' head that he can hit a big time jumper when he needs to.

...and aside fro his lack of ability to run the team as a PG, that's the main knock on him isn't it?
  6. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I REALLY REALLY hate Kuester's body language in close games like this. It looks like he's having a panic attack. I still think he's got the basketball knowledge to be a good coach. However, it looks like he's consumed by the fear of blowing the chance he's been chasing for 20 years. It's sad because that fear will precisely be the reason why he fails.
  7. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The last thing we want is for Stuckey to have confidence in his 3-point shooting abilities because of one made shot.
  8. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

It worked for Will Blalock didn't it?
  9. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

You are right there...then we would have no one going to the hoop as he would stay out on the perimeter like Daye and CV shooting recklessly just because he is open.
  10. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Not sure, but league average (for the entire league) tends to be around 36% or so.

And let's not compare him to Kobe. Kobe shoots a lot more threes than Hamilton and people actually heavily guard him on his three pointers. Hamilton is a total non factor out there if you just have someone near him.
  11. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I dunno 2T4Y, that Kobe is pretty overrated.
  12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

lol

He's overrated by his homers who think he is better than MJ, but otherwise... I think he's pretty good and rated fairly (even though I don't care for him). ;)
  13. del

del Bench Warmer Forum Donor

While this may be a slightly optomistic view, I think it's a good point - but I like looking at all things with the glass half full.