at Dallas Mavericks Tuesday January 5 8:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

And Ben Wallace shot 50% from the line on four attempts, so it wasn't him. This team's guards need a focus upgrade.

And...

- CV comes into the 4th shooting 6-11 and only gets, and misses, one shot.

- Tay comes into the 4th shooting 5-10 and only gets, and misses, one shot. He also plays 40 minutes - surely a few more JJ minutes were called for.

- Maybe Rip has finally shot his way into the clear and can actually be showcased.

- WILCOX!!

- Bengo at least shot 50% in the 4th. He needs shot attempts to get into a rhythm and there just aren't enough balls to go around on this team.
  2. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

the painful process of figuring out minutes and shots distribution has finally begun...THE season has finally started for Pistons.

We can here nitpick minutes/shots but the only way to find best formula is to go through the testing. There is no premade foolproof recipes fans so desire to see.
  3. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

If we had a true.....Never Mind, forget it, I'm gonna leave that alone.......

The things I noticed
    • Good to see us score more than 20 pts in a qtr, finally.
    • Dirk really knows how to set a good pick, when him and Jet have it going that pick is impossible to defend.
    • Wilcox could've been Amare Stoudemire had he gave a dam, or if he played with Steve Nash.
    When we were up by 14 I knew it was a fake 14, we were only up because they were missing shots and CV got on a hot streak, not because we were defending well or executing on offense. Still wanted a win...I'm Just Sayin'
  4. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

And that process gets a whole lot more painful when there's no true......see there I go again....I said I'd leave that alone until February
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Tay, I have been saying this about Stuckey for awhile. He needs to get a better shot if he is going to be a force. People worry about his play making ability. I worry about his shot.
  6. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons played decently last night definitely showing more energy and/or aggression than in recent games and capitalizing on the Mavs early sluggishness. DET was in trouble when DAL cut the lead to 8 at the half.

Tay played quicker and more aggressively then I have seen him play in a long time.

I was watching the Dallas feed and they were having video difficulty which made it seem like they were playing in disco lights.

The Mavs announcers were pointing out how much Tay was wincing all game while running.

Larry Wilcox had a strong game.

LOL @ Kuester taking Stuckey out of the game with 40 seconds to go in the 1st half so he wouldn't pick up his 3rd foul when they had the ball.

Jason Terry is a great example of allowing someone to play in their comfort zone instead of shoe horning them into a role. He would be way less effective if they made him play the point.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

When your guards a la Stuckey, Rip and Bengo goes 5-10 at the FT line collectively when they are above 80% career wise on FTs, this is the end result, a LOSS.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Free throws are often times a good indicator of conditioning for guards. I would say that Rip and Ben don't have their game legs back if they are missing like that from the line. Especially when you see Rip missing short.

No explaining Ben Wallace's airball to the left though... except that maybe the duct tape fell off his wrist.
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Finally got to watch the game. Too tired to stay awake last night late, as I had no chance to nap earlier in the day. Anyway, here is what I saw, much of it already covered by some good game reports others have posted.

First of all, the most important thing: Tay played 40 minutes, on this, a first of a back to back. This clearly shows Kuester has no clue about coaching. Anything else from this game is secondary. Losing Tay soon, as will happen if we keep this coach, is not a good thing. We need a coach who has at least enough common sense to limit a guys minutes recovering from a back problem.

2nd, Chucky Atkins hurt us both halves. He did nothing, and worse than nothing on the offensive end where he just dribbled away the clock. Gordon has played a bit of point these last two games (I think 10 minutes total.) Absolutely we have looked better with Gordon running the point this little bit vs. what we get with Atkins. Meanwhile, Bynum is now waiting until he is fully healthy to come back. Thats good. Besides, getting Bynum back does not mean we will see less of Atkins. With this coach, it is more likely to mean even more small ball is played.

Small ball. Way too many three guard sets. Nobody played any backup small forward in this one. If Prince sat (just 8 minutes), we were playing small ball. And add another 4 or 5 minutes at the end of the game where Prince got moved to power forward. Thats about 25% of the game playing small ball - and we never do any good playing small ball.

Rip by no means has his shot back. He did get to the rack a few times like you are suppose to do if you can't hit a shot.

Wilcox has an excellent ability to catch the ball near the basket and score. His hands are huge, and often he only needs one hand to catch and dunk. (In contrast to Kwame who can't catch the ball with two hands.) Its the same people passing the ball, the same speed of passes, etc. The only difference is who is catching (or should I say dropping the passes in Kwame's case)the ball. Still, we are not finding post up opportunities for Wilcox.

Stuckey managed one good quarter, but otherwise scored about a point per quarter. He is playing thru an ankle injury, so its about all you can expect from him at the moment.

Stuckey shooting that 3 was bad, especially on the bad ankle. Bad coaching to end up with that shot in Stuckey's hands. Bad, bad, bad. Lets get a new coach. Sorry, after this game, I am not only to mention how bad Kuester is doing, I am openly calling for his firing.
  10. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

It was not planned, it happened due to miscommunication of opponents(this is from postgame comments via Langlois from Stuckey).

Stuckey was surprised how wide open he was, I'm sure.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maybe Stuckey shouldn't have been in the game in that situation. I would have also considered having Tay on the floor instead of being the inbounder.

On the floor: Ben Gordon/ Rip Hamilton/ Tayshaun Prince/ Villanueva and have Austin Daye inbounding (so that he can get a pass back and be a shooter).

All 5 guys can knock down 3's.
  12. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I only watched the 2nd half of this game. Unfortunately, even though we kept it close all the way to the end, I never for a second thought we'd win this game.

There were a few good things though. Stuckey and Rip both played well in the 2nd half. Rip mixed his game up a little bit, driving to the basket and posting up Kidd. He shot well too. Gordon was horrid in the 2nd half. Don't know what he did in the first, but watching the second half made it look like he is a downgrade over Rip. That's just 2 bad quarters though. I'm still on the Gordon bandwagon.

We can go on and on about how Stuckey isn't a PG, or the missed free throws or Tay's minutes etc etc. The key is that our bigs suck. That's the biggest problem we have. Every game we play, the opposing PF or C has a career game; last night we made Drew Gooden look like Tim Duncan in his prime. Nowitzki just toyed with us. He could've exploded for 40 points if he felt like it, but he seemed content with setting screens for Terry and he probably didn't want to spoil Gooden's night.

Q made several bad mistakes last night. Tay's minutes being the worst one of all. The last play when we needed a 3 could've been a good one if it was CV taking the shot instead of Stuckey. The play was decent, but with the wrong staff on the court. The mistake that cost us the game was the stupid small ball that we finished the game with. We had Stuckey-Gordon-Rip-Tay-Wallace to close out the game. Everybody 6'9" and under when the other team has a pair of 7 footers in Gooden and Nowitzki. AND WE PLAYED HALF COURT SETS!

Forcing Tay to guard Dirk for an extended stretch during crunch time is never a good idea, and it's simply idiotic when he's just back from a back injury and obviously not 100%.

This team needs to win, and win quick to snap Q out of his panic mode or he'll run the players to the ground. He was coaching well when we were hovering .500. The worse our record gets, the worse his coaching becomes. More desparation, more knee-jerk reactions, more reliance in the safety net of the veterans. Joe either needs to fire this guy or sit down and have a talk with him to remind him that this is a rebuilding year and that his mission is to develop the players and not win a championship.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Tay did seem to be doing a great job on Dirk though. I thought it was strange to see, but he seemed just long enough to bother Dirk, even on fade aways. And he wasn't biting on those lame fakes.
  14. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

Don't get me wrong. I didn't think he did a bad job either. But, he's guarding someone who is much larger and stronger than him, while still recovering from a back injury. It's a recipe for disaster.
  15. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Kuester had Wallace on the floor with the Pistons down by 3 and then down by 5.

Wallace is useless in those situations. The Mavs coulda hacked a Ben to end the game.

The problem with Kuester is that he isn't playing to win. He's doing what Flip Saunders did. He's constantly trying to hedge against failure.

Down 3, we either make the 3, or we lose. Instead of doing everything possible to get us the best look, by the best shooters at the 3, we played Ben, I can only guess, to offensive rebound. That's playing to miss, not to make.

I am completely unimpressed by anything the Pistons do except immediately after a practice. They played decently in the first half, then folded in the second. This team doesn't execute, it doesn't finish halves strong, and it consistently doesn't compete in the second half. It has been weeks since we have run more than 3 or 4 plays in a game, which to me is embarrassing. We don't even look like we have sets besides various ISOs out there.

Kuester is a rookie, so he will have to figure this stuff out.

He's more of a practice coach and less of a sideline general.

Kuester really needs to raise his game.
  16. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

The play wasn't run for Stuckey. Stuckey was option C. The play was for Gordon but there were two defenders all over him. The correct pass was made, but the right player wasn't taking the shot. Where were Villanueva and Daye? You put multiple three point shooters on the floor and you make the defense pay for overplaying on Gordon. Even Hamilton is a below average three point threat.

That was my problem with the end of the game... not the play itself (it was very good execution) but with who was on the court in that situation.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He guarded Duncan in the Finals. What is up with coaches abusing Tay?
  18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Walter I totally agree about the lack if quality of our bigs. Actually, the Pistons competed a bit better because Dampier was out. So Wilcox had his way in the first quarter on those lobs. Trouble with Wilcox is you don't get much else. Kwame is a better rebounder but gives little else and doesn't move for balls not in his area. Ben can not go hard for too long. Maxiel is inhibited by his height. He plays in spurts. His shot is better for him but still not at NBA standard. Right, every team's bigs look like all stars against the Pistons. Gooden had 18 boards. Noah had like 20 the other night. He hasn't come close to that since.

Nothing wrong with the last play. Stuckey has to learn to hit that shot. He should be given that opportunity again. The kid needs to know that his game is still not where it should be. Part of his role is to hit the open look and in this case: the three. They are grooming him.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He did lead the league in 3P% a few year's ago, so has to be one of our top 5 options when we really need a 3.

The only reason to have Ben Wallace in the game would have been to set picks to get shooters open. But I really don't see any reason to have Stuckey in the game. He was probably in because the coach would have felt strange taking out our #1 scorer.
  20. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

34% for his career is well below average for his position. And he led the league shooting what... 1 and a half threes per game?

I could see having Stuckey in the game for a drive and kick (if the defense was stupid enough to collapse on him), but there needed to be at least another three point shooter out on the floor besides Gordon. That was just bad coaching.