At Dallas Jan 9th 9PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 6, 2008.

1. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Oh this game. The starters allowed the Mavs to get into a great shooting rhythm early in the game, at that point there was no way we were going to win this game, it was lost in the first 8mins.

The bench actually brought us back into the game and got us to within 5. The starters gave it back.

The Lineup for this game should have been real easy to figure out once we saw the benfit of Fabio. Move Rip to the 3 spot to get Stuck and AA mins and glue Gayshaun to the bench.

PLEASE HELP ME ANSWER THIS ONE
    OK, CB has got to be one of the worse P&R PG's I've ever seen, yet he runs it ALL THE TIME!!! Anybody other than me notice he's TOO SLOW to actually get the ball into the paint, and Sheed/Dyess NEVER bother to roll at all. So what gives....Now on the flipside...Stuckey is like a blur on the P&R, and DOES get into the paint, while Max is more than happy to roll his way into a MONSTER THROW DOWN!!! Yet, Flip wont let Stuck call that play, but Chauncey can run it 387 times/game????? WTF??? Please Pistons Forum, help me out on figuring this one out.
  2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

We talk about Flip being to stubborn to play the bench?? Well lets blame Joe for being to stubborn to fire him..just like he was to stubborn to move Darko earlier.

Joe may have the best talent 1 thru 13 in the league but to stubborn to admit that he has the wrong coach leading them...:frusty::crossed::twitch: at this point I may even trust Joe of doing a better job at coaching the team with no experience than Flip :idea::confused: Afterall, in 1982, Pat Riley came out of the Lakers broadcast booth to lead the Laker Showtime to seven finals appearances in 8 years including winning 4 of them.

oh yeah "Gayshuan":fear: :pound::laugh:
  3. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Shot selection over the course of a game will be the downfall of this team for the 3rd year in a row. Whenever the Pistons start struggling it seems they start shooting quicker shots, and deeper shots. There was a 5-6 minute section of the third quarter where the Pistons didn't take a single shot inside of 19 feet. When the Pistons aren't hitting those shots is Flip just waiving the white flag? Why do we have the only coach on the planet that won't tell these guys to attack the rim?

And the set-in-stone 1st and 3rd quarter rotations are ridiculous. When a guy isn't getting it done out there (Dice, Tayshaun I'm looking at you), get someone else in there. Herrmann played stellar D on Dirk in the 2nd quarter, yet he never even got a 2nd look when Dirk was lighting up Dice in the 3rd.

I won't even get into the Amir ordeal.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Somebody corect me if I am wrong; but it`s not a "pick n roll" it`s a "pick n pop"

I say that because nobody ever rolls to the hoop, someone just pops out for a jumper.......................80-90% of the time.
  5. max

max All-Star

You can't have 2 of the starters Prince and Dyess having such bad games and expect to win out West. Maxiel made such of a difference when he came in. Maybe its time to bite the bullet and realize that he may get bigger offers next year if he starts but that the Pistons need him to start.

Looks like even Herman has surpassed Amir on the depth chart.
  6. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You know what? Like Flip said bout Max not there to finish the game against the Celtics, coincidentally he was playing so well, is because Max was tired. Maybe, Hermann too was tired playing all those 'D' on Dirk in the 2nd. That's our Flip.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I can't recall being less excited for a game in a long time. Maybe after they lost to MIA last year w/out Wade. Even during the game I found myself watching repeats of Rob & Big and Made.

Enough complaining though. I thought another strategic gem was to call a timeout to stem the tide then come out and run a play for Tay. He was 1-6 at the time and soon to be 1-7.
  8. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

OMG :pound::MusicBigGrin:
  9. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

The Bad Boys ran the Pick and Pop very effectively with Bad Boy Bill. The Pick and Pop is a Pistons tradition.

:hoops:
  10. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

yeah one of the things i wish flip would do, is pull a guy who isn't playing well. if tay is going to bring an effort like that, sit him out. if chauncey is going to run the offense like a moron again, bring stuckey in. if they're pissed at you, put your foot down. they'll get the message real quick that they can't play dumb and lazy because they'll find themselves on the bench. flip wasn't afraid to do it earlier in the year with rip, don't be afraid now.

the mavs are a pretty scary team. they've found a pretty good mix for who starts and who comes off the bench, and they're really deep as well. i really don't like how we match up with them. avery johnson had a good gameplan too. ya know how no one ever doubles maxiell and he can kill you off the bench? avery employed a quick double team any time he got the ball in the post, and with not being used to it, max either took a bad shot or gave up the ball.

the positives from the game - now that max has seen a real double-team he can be better prepared for it next time, afflalo looked great again, even looked smooth on that 3-point attempt, at which he had been struggling all year, stuckey continues to develop, and we've discovered that herrmann could definitely be useful as an agitator/defender/shooter and can play both the 3 and 4.
  11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Even I have to admit that playing Amir in the second and third would have been a good thing.

Go Fabio! I like that guy.
  12. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

The negatives from the game - Maxiell can be taken out of his comfort zone by the double team and he is not "experienced" enough to learn what to do. (Flip's thinking) I better not play him in games where the opposition brings a double team or even if there is a chance they could bring a double team. Max's minutes are reduced tonight!!!
  13. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Well, there's some silver lining. People managed to find positives in the game. I was kind of struggling with that, especially knowing Flip's tendencies not to look to past performances. How many times last year Delfino came in and had a good run in the first half and then never came off the bench in the second? Well, who says that good play by Hermann and Afflalo will earn them any additional playing time? Back to the bench they go. And stay there.
  14. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

^

Afflalo is the most upsetting one to me b/c he did actually EARN the time. Amir just makes me mad, and Hermann we'll have to wait and see if he plays.
  15. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

I can sum it all up with this statement: This team has a lot of depth and a coach who does not know how to utilize it.

We're only 35 games into this; I'll be interested to see how Flip uses the personnel the last 47 games. It would be insane to fire the guy with the team having won 74 percent of their games. The media would blow the story out of proportion and it would make it even tougher to get a quality coach here.

To outsiders, it would appear that Flip is doing a good job. As Pistons fans, we know better. After a game last night, a coach who gave a crap would do a little shake-up in the lineup. Tay has been underperforming on offense. This starting 5 is way too comfortable and Flip has allowed that to happen.

I'd wanna see a fiery coach who gets in the players' faces a little (Laimbeer) and lets them know if they are lackadaisical, the bench is where they will reside. If Laim was the coach, no way would they be launching that BS from the outside all the live long day.
  16. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Laimbeer would have called a timeout 2 minutes into last nights game and ripped the starters a new ARSE last night. I can see the image in my mind of Bill telling them they are all a bunch of prima donnas that didn't deserve to be in the same building with the Mavs playing like that (spitting while he talks the whole time)
  17. PistonFanInCavsTown

PistonFanInCavsTown First Round Draft Pick

The bench at least got plenty of PT tonight. Ten guys played at least 13 minutes (yes, I know Amir wasn't one of them). And Flip played the subs most of the 4th quarter when he could have kept the starters in for a final surge.

I'm giving Flip some credit for bringing in Herrmann in the 2nd quarter. He really got into Dirk's head, causing Dirk to try to force up some crazy stuff at least a couple times hoping to draw a foul. It reminded me of Sideshow Bob matching up against us when we play the Cavs.

The most confusing thing to me is why Flip doesn't sub in the 1st and 3rd quarters like he did in that 2nd quarter. When Flip called that timeout midway through the 3rd quarter I thought for sure we'd see a substitution. It seemed like the perfect time to bring Herrmann back in. But alas the lineup was unchanged. So what did they talk about during that timeout? The starters hadn't been playing with any fire up to that point, so why did Flip think anything was going to change after that timeout? They continued to play like the paint was roped off, firing up lame jumpers.

This kind of game I've come to expect *at times* from this team over the last few years. The kind where I'm yelling "the jumpers ain't falling, take that s**t inside!", but the players on the floor aren't listening. During the regular season I can shrug them off, but it seems like we see at least one of these per playoff series, maybe more when they don't have that chip on their shoulder.
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Here is what I noticed. Herrmann was very good about staying close to Dirk's body on the shot and not reaching upward. You could say that he was up in his grill.

Dirk is tall enough to get his shot off against almost everyone and he is very used to seeing hands up near his release point.

Herrmann's technique was sort of the same as what Bowen does and I think that it threw Dirk off. Pretty sure he'd get used to it after a while and start hitting again.

But it is good to see the tenacity. And at least we have a guy who seems to defend a little differently, which is good if you are looking to stop a forward who is on a roll.

One thing that I thought was strange was that Herrmann and Hayes were out there together almost the whole time. It was almost as if Saunders didn't want to make Hayes think that he was losing PT to this guy.
  19. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I have joined a Warriors board since I live in a bay area, and they have similar views of Flip - good regular season coach that doesn't have what it takes to finish the job. Not good at adjustments and gets flabergassed when going gets tough. And quite inflexible to boot.
  20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Starter Forum Donor

Hmmm... Nice to know Flip isn't fooling people. I'm sure Wolves' fans know about him, too.