At Dallas Jan 9th 9PM

Discussion in 'January 2008' started by max, Jan 6, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

He could always play D. He's from Argentina. It's like a requirement. LOL

2. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

LPGRL, tomorrow you can get to the chatroom by hitting Quik Links above and then scrolling down and hitting FlashChat... see you tomorrow and hopefully a victory over the Spurs

3. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Terrible loss tonight. The starters just stunk it up as a unit, way too many forced jumpers and not getting out to the perimeter on defense. The first quarter was a disaster, but strangely enough, a small lineup with Herrmann on the floor for the last 8 minutes of the first half (Sheed was the only big man) led to a nice run to close the Dallas to lead to 5 at halftime, with Herrmann mostly helping by annoying Dirk on D. But the starters blew it again in the third, almost a repeat of the first quarter. They did actually came out of the half with good defense for the first few minutes of the quarter, but the forced jumpers put them back in the hole again and Dallas never looked back after catching fire from behind the 3-point arc. Now they have to win in San Antonio tomorrow night just to avoid a 3-game losing streak.

I guess the one silver lining of the evening was that the Pistons didn't lose as embarrassingly as the Celtics did...no Ray Allen, but that's not much of an excuse for losing at home to the Bobcats, which happened tonight as JRich dropped 34 on them.

4. LA Dre

I left and didn't see the second half, other than the last 3 minutes of the game, but the first qtr was ugly defensive wise as the Mavs literally hit almost all of their outside shots and inside jumpers. Dirk was Dirk until Fabio decided to check him in the second. Meanwhile we were even missing shots in the paint with a bunch weak shots by both Tay and CB. The defense suffered from Sheeds 2 first qtr fouls.

Fabio sparked a second qtr offense as the Pistons came back to within 5 at the half. I will have to watch the tape to see what happen after that, but I bet the interior defense was exposed again and we probaly got out manned in and out pointed in the paint:yellowprison:

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i wish the starters woulda told me before the game that they were mailing this one in, because then i would've mailed it in as well and not bothered watching.

not much else to say. the starters didn't care, they jacked up long shots early in the clock with no chance of rebounding. max has to recognize a double team and pass out of it. if brezec is being shopped, fine, but if not, why is he getting minutes over amir johnson in garbage time?

6. detteam

detteam All-Star

Listening to Flip's post game "we didn't give enough effort" blah-blah, blah-blah

He always passes the buck and never takes any blame.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

^

I actually left mid 3rd quarter, and went to get Starbucks so i didn't see the rest of the game, but in generally speaking;

There was no cohesiveness out there. It looked exactly like when the team was fractured throughout the ECF last year. It seems like half the players have quit on the coach, and the other half are just apathetic. When the team isn't on the same page, they usually look like what we've saw tonight.

Flip isn't cutting it. We found a defensive match-up that worked against Nowitizki (which is well-known around the league) and abandoned it. I also don't think it's coincidental that our defense getting worse (esp perimeter) coincides with AA not playing more. That line-up in the 2nd was holding it's own defensively. The starters just didn't have it. They took jumpshot after jumpshot with no repercussion. Tay is killing us, and i also thought his quotes before the game were quite telling. Don't have a link but something about not knowing if the Pistons have the mind-set or hoping they did before going into Texas.

Flip doesn't care apparently about points in the paint or points given up in the paint even though getting/giving easy baskets is CRUCIAL to a championship team.

The difference in energy with the bench/starters is so drastic sometimes, it's palpable when you're watching it. I still think the starting line-up needs to be shaken up. Amir NEEDS to play. We desperately need shot-blocking, and rebounding. Sheed can't do it by himself, and frankly looks as fed up with the quick jumpshots/getting burned on the perimeter as we are.

This team isn't going anywhere with Flip, and even though it's early in the season i've been convinced for awhile. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, and i'm getting sick of watching the prime of this team go by with his incompetence.

My faith in Joe D is taking a hit as well. I keep holding onto the fact that it's a money issue, but that's not really a good excuse anymore.

Thanks Dre for the link. I eventually figured it out LOL. I'll be watching tomm. I must be masochist or something.

edited to add;
    Does anyone remember the last time we got beat, and came out swinging LB style?

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is the most baffling thing to me of all this. Joe D said he would play. Amir said he would play. The beat writers say he will play. Hell, even Flip said he would play at one point. Who's really in control here?

9. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We need to start Maxiel. The good teams get into our jumper oriented start and so Dyss cannot help us as they get out on his jumper. We need Maxiel on the block.

Dyss's defense does not make up for not helping offensively.

Sanders offense does not fly against the good defenses as we open with a series of jumpers. The good teams get out on us and we are in trouble.

We will need to add a big. The coaching staff is still an issue. What has happened the last two years may not be fixed yet.

10. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Most lopsided loss of the season. The starters just didn't show up, they played lackadaisically on both sides of the ball most of the night. Play like that against San Antonio and you're toast, Pistons.

A 3-big rotation isn't enough, that's been made obvious by at least 2 of our losses. And, Flip's excuse of Max/Dice/Sheed playing sooo well as the reason Amir doesn't play has been proven to be BS all the way. Kid needs to put on some weight, certainly, but he's better at guarding jumpshooting big men than any of our bigs outside of Sheed (who didn't show up tonight) and he's better than frickin' Tayshaun at stopping dribble penetration. Brezec coming in before him pissed me off. Even in garbage time, Flip? Cripes. That spaz should just be cut. He has no D to speak of, and he may have a jumper, but no one's gonna pass him the ball. I give no value to height without mobility/skill.

Our starting guards couldn't guard a pole either, and neither could Tayshaun. The coach needs to show some balls and yank some of these guys for performances like this one. He certainly has no qualms about yanking bench guys who're actually helping.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Did you guys notice Flip's interview right before halftime where he basically threw out his weak sauce analysis "... yeah, I thought that they did a good job hitting shots, and we didn't hit as many shots, so that is something that we are going to have to do better in the 2nd half..." yeah. He always does that.

Anyways, Herrmann being the Dirk stopper and also leading the team in assists was pretty unexpected.

Stuckey with 3 steals.

Whatever, Dallas was hitting shots and we weren't and we have to do a better job of improving that ...

12. LA Dre

I decided not to watch the second half and just review the box score...the rebounds were even, assists about the same. About the same number fouls called on each team too. The difference of course was in the shooting., plus of course they beat us in the paint 38-26 so what else is new.>?? You know if tay gets stuffed on a dunk attempt in the opening minutes, it will be long game for him and yep he was 1-7 from the field including one real weak shot in front of the hoop after grabbing a rebound. The posteration of JMAX by Bass in the second qtr must have have damaged his psyche as he was 1-5 from the field.

Our bench got out pointed 41-31 and it is obvious bringing JTerry off the bench is working great for the Mavs....Stackhouse sat out last Sundays game with a injury just so he could torch us tonight and sure enough three pops from beyond the arc did some damage. but alas it was the Dirkster who did us in with array of rainbow shots over Sheed and Dice.

One positive tonight was that Fabio broke out with a nice defensive effort on dirk in the second qtr..otherwise Dirk ,may have scored over 30...plus Fabio led the team in assists with 4

13. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Young players. The announcers really made something out of the garbage time our young players got. Sorry, touting the party line does not make it any less painfully obvious that Amir Johnson did not get to play, even in a blowout, until less than 3 minutes left in the game.

Just to give everyone a taste of what Saunders thinks of young players playing, Zaret started the broadcast by saying Stuckey and Afflalo were making mistakes from being nervous in the Boston game. (Quoting Saunders) Really. Did Zaret watch the game? Afflalo only played 3 minutes of that game. Stuckey had his minutes limited, never getting any chance to really get into the game. Neither player showed any signs of nerves. Indeed, neither player has yet to do so this year. These two are a couple of very poised players. But, hey, back to this game.

Dyess started the game. Why? He made a couple of jumpers after we got way behind in the 1st quarter. He drew no fouls. He played no D. He was basically a very bad fit for this game.

Anyone else notice that during our comeback in the 2nd, Tay and Rip were missing their shots? Some help. Now, for the game, Rip did make some shots at least. Can't complain too much about his performance.
    Billups hit his share of shots too. Sheed did too, while playing decent D, sometimes all alone though.

Hayes was invisible. Another guy Flip just automatically gives minutes to, regardless of the situation.

JMAX gave us some energy, but had somewhat of an offnight on his scoring. But then again, he did not play that much either. He should be starting. (While Dyess fights for minutes between him, Brezec, Herrmann, and Amir.)

Hermann got to play a lot. But yet, as many have pointed out, he could have come in early in the 3rd quarter after it was obvious he could guard Dirk. Indeed, really he should have started the 3rd quarter. Yes, and on the subject of getting prepared for the playoffs, the fact that Herrmann played is a very good thing. To me, its more important that he got the minutes he did vs. the outcome of this still early in the season game.

Amir had a highlight, getting a fast break rebound putback slam. Afflalo got hot shooting in the 4th. Stuckey got to double figures. Stuckey played 22 minutes. And since Dallas did for some odd reason keep some of their starters in during garbage time, it was better than usual garbage time practice for Stuckey at the end of the game.

Our starters should be rested for SA at least.

14. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Found this on mlive's comment section. Guy has some great points.

15. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    I think they still are in Toronto and forgot to leave. At least that's what it looks like. Ringing up wins against weaker opposition, and when going gets tough the team just falls apart. Hey, I'm not going to call this panic time, but it's just not looking good. I will allow that team can have a couple of bad games after an 11-game winning streak, but why wouldn't the youngsters get the playing time when the game is over?

16. LA Dre

As they said in the old days Right on Mik. 11 wins over a few non contenders and now they come up against some real comp and their weaknesses are exposed. But lets not past judgement yet until we see what team shows up tomorrow night...the second best team in basketball or the sixth best behind the Celtics, Mavs, Suns, Spurs and Lakers. :sssh:

17. mikhail1973

At least I got lucky to watch the game with that FF button.

18. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I just read an article where Flip said Hermann was the only guy that oculd stop Dirk. So why didn't he start the 3rd quarter, or come in after a few minutes?

:doh:

19. LA Dre

Because he does not sit a starter unless he has multiple fouls or misses the bus. Otherwise you get to start and there are no lineup changes no matter how bad the designated starting five are playing. I mean these are grown men and he shouldn't worry about hurting anybody's feelings, but Flip is stubborn and relies on vets whether they are rundown or not and that is why he has never got that 12th victory in the post season:sssh:. I sure hope he has his laptop with him and reads this tonight :)

20. mikhail1973

It just sounds retarded. I have a guy who can neutralize the best player on the opposing team, but I'll keep him stuck to the bench because I have the "designated starters". Oh yeah, I also have a defensive stopper on the team, but I'd rather keep him on the bench too because I may hurt Rip's feelings. Is it a coincidence, but Pistons best defense was played in the 2nd quarter with mainly reserves on the floor.