1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

At Cleveland February 4th, 2:30PM

Discussion in 'February 2007' started by Dlev59, Feb 3, 2007.

1. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good win. Even though it wasn't a blow out, it reminded me of the 04-05 Pistons that won with defense and just kept the lead in the 8 to 12 point range for the whole game with no threat of the other team even coming close.

CB tried to show case court his skills on national TV with 18 pts and 10 dimes, but also had 4 TO's. The good is only took two 3 ball atempts. When is the last time Rip only took 8 shots in a game? 46 games this season now scoring in double figures. Just got that 10th point however in the last minute on a FT.

Webber looked good in the first half with 13 points to help Pistons to the 7 point halftime lead. 15pts, 13 boards and no techs for Sheed as he played a very good game down low.

Dice was the spark off the bench with 12 points and Hunter who dragged the offense down in the first half with three 3 point bricks, played some good defense in the second with 3 steals.

First in the conference with 1 game leads over Wiz and Bulls. Now 4-4 in the division, 15-9 on the road. 7-2 with Webber starting.

So far Flip is the coach of the month for February with Mike Mitchell of the Raptors:)

With five straight home games coming up, time to take advantage of the home cooking vs Celtics, Lakers, Raptors, Clippers and Spurs. Only the Celtics game is a gimme, but if they win all five then the team is BACK

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yep, looked pretty easy, as it should. Cleveland is not all that. They never have solved their point guard problem, and using an inexperienced rookie vs. Billups just shows desperation. James, not a factor, being held to 2 points in each of the middle quarters, and just human in the other two despite the attempted buildup by the national announcers.

Well, Webber got 15 and it just seems natural at this point. Got to love 7 for 10 shooting, with just enough rebounds for his minutes played you can't quite complain. Webber made another outside shot, but everything else was post scoring, what a sight for sore eyes.

Sheed did a lot of damage in the post himself, showed he is very capable of shutting down Ilgauskas, and cleared the boards all nite to boot.

Dyess was huge off the bench, hitting a bunch of outside shots. Delfino knocked down a couple himself and helped check Bron a bit in the 2nd quarter. (He did not do so well on that other guy-Pavolic (sp)) No Delfino in the 2nd half, nor Maxiell except for the last seconds of the game. But I won't complain, as Davis, Maxiell, and Delfino all got decent playing time in this one. With Hunter doing very well on defense, and Dyess being so effective, thats 5 bench players contributing, giving energy. Which makes it easier for the starters to maintain their energy level thruout the game.

Tay, if anyone did not notice, is above his career best scoring average, and continued to knock down his outside shots. Remember a bit earlier in the year when people complained about the misses-I said that was practice for later in the season. Prince developing his game. He has. He must be address on the perimeter, making his drives in, and all our inside play, easier.

Rip just continues to hit his shots. I wonder just how much of an improvement from last year there is. I'll check that after this post.

Billups is clearly hurting out there, and hurting us on D because of it. But he is running the offense pretty well-for the most part. He needs rest, that leg is nowhere near right.

Good to see Dale out there, but hey Pistons, do not leave the guy out to dry when Ilgauskas has good post position on him. Don't spectate, somebody come over to help a bit.

Despite the hype about James, this was over with about 5 minutes left in the game. We played stall ball for much of the last 4 minutes, perfectly good strategy when you are that far up. GO PISTONS!!!!!

3. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

A good win. The Pistons offense reminded me of running water. Whenever the Cav's tried to stop them, the Pistons just flowed right around. If it wasn't CB distributing, it was Webber. We had a variety of people get down on the low post. We had different people hitting the 3. The defense seemed pretty transparent but the commentators were talking about how the team defense kept lebron from attacking the basket. It seemed pretty easy for Pavlovic who ran layup drills on the Pistons D 3 times in a row.

Rip: The engine of the pistons machine...still. Didn't shoot as often as usual but boy was he active and all over the place. On one sequence he ran into a stationary JAmes and went down for a couple of minutes.

billups: I kinda think it was the lack of a dominant PG for the Cavs but CB basically controlled the whole game. He aslo made some good defensive plays on Big Z early on. He also got to the line a lot which points to a more active role in the offense.

Webber: I remember him outletting early while his man got a rebound and a put back. But otherwise, he rebounded ok. He really helps the offense. He had some great passes that never got converted. Tried to grab offensive rebounds...came away with 2. Took Full advantage of the opportunities presented.

Sheed: I saw him work the post consistently. Controlled out defensive rebounds and had a sweet putback jam. He took 3 3's which is good. 5-7 is too many.

Prince. I didn't really notice prince so much. it didn't seem like Tay was any more successful at containing lebron than anyone else which isn't to say he did a bad job. He did convert 66% of his 3's.

Mcdyess. You know I turn my head and when a I look back at the TV the ball is sailing in from mid range...Dyess!!! He's really been doing well for us.

Hunter. Say what you want...lins got 3 steals and didn't over dribble too much.

Delfino played 10 minutes. hit his outside shots...the best thing was the extra passes made to him.

Maxiell got 5 minutes. I heard he got a dunk but he whole stint was when I was in the little boys room. damn. I missed it.

The defense is still susceptible to slashers who are not Wade and Lebron. It seems we are able to focus on one person and discourage attacking the basket but anyone else...today it was pavlovic...can get in easily and either score or dish off for a score.

However, we did play scrappy enough and came away with loose balls and turn overs.
    Lets get amir involved!

4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

the first time I saw CWebb;
    my impressions:
    he's extremely slow and I wonder if he can still dunk
    his jumpshoot- technique is horrible, but who cares, he drains them at a nice %.
    Good passer, as everybody knew.
    With the current style of playing, he can help any team in the league for at least 2 more seasons since he doesn't rely on his athleticism (which is good). The saddest thing was seeing him boxing out Ilgauskas who just knocked the rebound away because Cwebb couldn't get his butt up in the air more than one inch.
    Besides;
    Tay plays way too much, there are many moments you don't notice him being on the court. Delfino played decent in the minutes given and still didn't get more. Why is that?
    JMax had a sweet dunk and would have deserved some more minutes too. He lost the ball once when being under pressure by several Cle players in the zone.
    Davis didn't look like an experienced vet when Ilgauskas easily faked and made the shot for a possible 3pt- play. The fake even wasn't that good.

5. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Best thing they did today was to finish quarters - dominated in the last two minutes of all four.

It would have been nice to have seen a bit more bench. This is a pattern from last year - play the starters into the fourth trying to make a big run and force garbage time, and when the run doesn't come you're stuck with playing the starters most of the second half. Rip or Tay has to start coming out of the game about the eight minute mark of the second and third along with Sheed or Webber. That at least gives the coach some options.

Seemed like a lot of unforced turnovers today. This isn't a team that plays well in the early afternoon.

6. himat

himat Bench Warmer

This Pistons team does not only have 5 players that you have to defend, but they have 5 players who make each other better.

Chauncey Billups- Solid game. Made the right decisions, got the ball inside. Ran the pick and rolls very well.

Rip Hamilton-Solid as well. Didn't score a lot, but got to the line. He's added that to his game over the summer.

Tayshaun Prince-Very good game. Made LeBron pay for poor defense, and helped stop LeBron every quarter.

Rasheed Wallace-Dominance inside. He shot outside jumpers well too, but this time he went inside first.

Chris Webber-Solid. Good at communicating on defense based on the mic.

Dice-Good spark off the bench.

Lindsey-Great defense, and hustle

Dale Davis-Good job at controling the inside

J Max-Didn't play much, but had a nice dunk

Delfino-made open shots

7. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Dre and Lee,

I would call this game as winning with a quiet dominance. We put them in the Piston grinding machine as we did Dallas. Good to see that it is still there--I was beginning to worry. Stern may not like it but who cares? Less than 90 points usually does the trick in the regular season.

Right all, with Chris, I don't worry about us getting bogged down in the offense as much. We saw a further glimpse of just what a Chris-Sheed tandem can do offensively. Watch out!

I still cringe when I see Hunter and Delfino on the floor together--we often do not generate enough scoring with that duo. Everyone likes Delfino but he has to learn to finish better. I could see Hunter's value when he was on the floor with Chauncey and he could focus on defense.

Good to see Dice take those jumpers. That is his game. He shoots jumpers at a good percentage and can do it against the good teams. He does not convert as well inside. Good to see players used to their strengths.

Maxiel would have been huge. Too bad he didn't get enough minutes.

8. max

max All-Star

I don't know. The starters want to be out there more in a game like this. Besides 5 guys did play off the bench.

Its mainly those Tuesday night road games against the Hawks that can really wear down a team if the starters play too much. In a playoff type game like this Flip would have had a hard time sticking to the plan. Would you guys have really wanted to see a closer game or the Pistons lose because Flip wanted to limit the starters mins.

Nice win. Total dominance, won every quarter. Won every stat except for one extra block and offensive board by the Cavs. Won total rebounding by 7.

What was up with that lame "DETROIT TUNROVER" comment by the Cavs PA announcer? Total bush league - He needs to get his own gig. Thats one thing about the Palace staff, they will never make fun of a teams home court bit.

9. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Fun game to watch.

A few late notes:

1. The Cavs involved Webber in as many screen situations as they possibly could, eventually leading Flip to bench him in favor of Maxiell at the end of the game.

2. Maxiell played adequate defense, but his defensive rebounding remains subpar to atrocious. One uncontested rebound in light traffic that came right at him in the final minutes of the game slipped right through his fingers.

3. With Snow on the bench in favor of some rookie, said rookie got torched. Excellent game from Billups.

4. Terrible game from Rip at both ends. Still managed to play 37 minutes...

5. ...as did all the starters except Webber. Flip went with his seven-man playoff rotation.

10. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Too bad it wasn't a CBA game. Detroit would have gotten some extra points for winning those quarters. :MusicBigGrin:

11. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

While I don't have any problems with Flip playing the starters in a game like this, this particular justification just doesn't hold water. None of the bench players except Davis played badly in their time in the game, so you can hardly excuse Flip by blaming them - particularly with Rip having one of his worst games of the year.

12. max

max All-Star

Yes but there has been so many games when Rip bounced back late in the game and made a difference. This game we did not need that. He also made a difference on the defensive end.

I have heard both Billups and Rip comment on how they are focusing on not playing long stretches of games this year. Not so much total mins, rather not leaving a guy out there too long. In a game like this with the long timeouts you can play Hunter or Delfino for a 3-4 min stretch add in a timeout and you have a nice 10-12 minute break for a starter.

13. ahb

ahb Bench Warmer

Pavlovic only scored three times in the paint on successive layups. The first was a screen-roll situation where Delfino correctly played him left into the screen, and backside help never came (hint: McDyess and Webber were the bigs at this point in the game).

The second and third were isolation drives from the free throw line area where Delfino and Hamilton gambled wrong and backside help never came from either McDyess or Webber.

It could be that Flip had instructed the Pistons to allow layups from anyone except LeBron, but I think it's more likely that McDyess and Webber are just extremely slow.

Pavlovic created nothing when those two were not in the game together. I don't care how good a perimeter defender you are; in the modern NBA you cannot guard 3-on-5.

14. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

A nice win indeed.

This win tells me more about the Cav`s than the Pistons. They (the Cav`s) are not ready to contend for the EC or the Final prize!!

On the other hand the Pistons did exactly as they are supposed to do against an opponent like the Cav`s; not let up and play to win. Sheed had a very good game. For the most part he was very active. (15 points and 13 rebounds).

Just watching Sheed the last couple of games I sense a change of attitude in him. Asking Flip to take him out of the Milwaukee game and his post play and rebounding in this game leads me to believe he has realized his value to the team and how successful the Pistons can be with him playing at a certain level. Well, it may be too early to tell, however, the next two weeks will prove me right or wrong.

I`m looking for a blowout of the Celtics, and at least 3 wins out of four at home against the Raptors, Lakers, Spurs and Clips in the next week 1/2.

15. Dlev59

BINGO...........They are extremely slow........

16. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Maybe they overlook the Raptors and they surprise us eh?:noidea:

17. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

I have been busy defending Sheed over on the other board. I won't go into all the details except to say this: I review the games. Any time Sheed is said by someone to have slacked off on effort, I look a little closer at Sheed's play. The result: Not one game so far where Sheed took a game off. Instead, I see him covering for other's lack of intensity/ or ability. (mostly ability in Mohammed's case, mostly a choice to sit out defense in Flip Murray's case.-and yes, lately some lack of ability on Webber's part. Oh, and CB is hurt, not covering his defensive assignments-Sheed is covering that up a lot too.)

18. Dlev59

Lee I don`t review the games like you do, and maybe that`s why I don`t see what you see. According to what you say above, Sheed is the only player playing defense.

His defense kind of comes and goes during a game, IMO. I am saying the last couple of games his overall play on both ends of the court has improved, not to mention his BBall IQ looks much better.

Sheed lacks the athleticism to play that roaming, quick, shot blocking big man (Ben Wallace) we were so accustomed to seeing; that in addition to C-Webb and Dyess`s lack of speed = poor interior defense at times.

I disagree that Sheed doesn`t take a day off from time to time. Didn`t he say himself that the regular season doesn`t mean anything?

19. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 All-Star Forum Donor

Locker-room material for Ben Wallace. Interesting comment from James:

"When Ben Wallace was there, you could kind of relax on the offensive end when he was on the floor," James said. "But now they have five guys that can easily score 20 points. They are a much better team with him (Webber)."

Artest, if I recall, said the opposite.

20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

LBJ is a Nike clown anyways. His opinion is worthless.

I hope Ben blocks him back to 1987.