At Cleveland December 21st 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2006' started by Dlev59, Dec 18, 2006.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

If I recall, we mixed up our defensive looks in Games 6 and 7, which had Lebron leaning heavily on his teammates to hit open looks, which they didn't.

Last night was more of the same. The Low was pissed during chat that we were running 3 men at LBJ, but you cannot allow him to dribble penetrate or it's death by dunkfest. You have to play the slow patient game of making him pass and his teammates shoot themselves out of it.

Until they develop a consistent second option to break up the double teams on LBJ, they will not go far.

2. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

This of course is true during every single game. :skull: :stooges:

3. max

max All-Star

- Lebron James

NBA.com

4. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Now what am I going to complain about? Flip is playing great rotations, Murray is getting benched, Delfino is playing well, Jmax is playing well and Darko is sucking it up, Blaylock is getting pt.

I need conflict, I need conspiracies, I need to rant, where's Larry when you need him.:stirthepot:

5. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

lol 16 mile. i always wondered what'd happen if we had games where the pistons played exactly like the forumers wanted. where's the controversy!

6. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Glad I didn't watch. Or I would've sweated for the first 90 minutes.
    Still the Pistons were getting 3, cashed a small ticket.
    Next up Atlanta, @ the P@AH, didn't they beat us once already? They're in trouble.
    Pistons seem to need a little hate going to bring their A game.
    It seemed everyone like the minutes rotation:
    ------- pos.-min-fgm-a3pm-aftm-aoffdeftotastpfsttobs-pts
    C.Billups G-37:104-132-47-7033101000-17
    R.Hamilton G-29:254-100-03-315621130-11
    R.Wallace F-25:534-120-31-206601120-9
    T.Prince F-38:388-110-10-017830001-16
    N.Mohammed C-22:59-4-90-02-242603130-10
    A.McDyess 23:38-5-80-01-1381104201-11
    J.Maxiell 16:59-5-70-01-512302011-11
    C.Delfino 16:26-0-20-00-01341200-10
    W.Blalock 10:50-0-10-00-00001001-00
    R.Murray 09:36-0-30-00-00001100-10
    D.Davis 06:18-0-00-00-00110100-00
    R.Dupree 02:07-1-40-00-020200000-2
    43% FG and 75% FT
    I guess it's hard for Brahma to go from power to touch evidenced by his FT%:cheerleader:

7. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

No, the Pistons beat the Hawks at the Palace last month.

8. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Good let's give them another spankage.

9. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Just got to TN after 8:45 in the car driving down, so my first chance to comment on last night.

Just got to say, I loved that basketball game. It was ugly at times, but I really like the way the team played from the JMax dunk over Gooden to the Prince one on the assist from Rip where most of his head and shoulders seemed to be above the rim. Sheed took some early threes figured out they weren't falling, and then glory of glories, stopped.

I don't see much from Blalock yet, but I don't notice much of a step down from Flip either. JMax forgot to rebound some of the time, but nice offensive touches. Good coaching job I thought and the kids really seem to have gotten the defensive switches down.

I could do with another couple dozen of these.

10. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Until Amir gets a shot at playing time, until JMAX, the much better player, or Dale Davis, has taken all of Mohammed's minutes (along with Amir) I will complain. As good as I know Amir is, thats plenty of controversy.

And this non-sense about giving Flip Murray playing time to work out of his "slump" (which is really just how he naturally plays) is another contentious item. Carlos Delfino should be our backup shooting guard, adding ball handling skill to our backcourt. Flip Murray should not be playing.

And finally, Billups is still playing too much. Blalock needs to get up to around 16 minutes per game. Blalock only getting 5 minutes in the first half, instead of getting more like 10, is something that needs to change soon, before Billups gets another injury from overplaying.

Finally, absolutely, we need to go to a big lineup where either Amir Johnson or Jason Maxiell plays some small forward. After seeing JMAX play D the last few games, there is no longer any doubt in my mind that JMAX can do what Corliss did at small forward for us, but even better. JMAX can do as good on O, and provide far better D than Corliss did at the small forward position. Amir is even quicker, so can do even better there. I can't until the day I see a front line of Amir, JMAX, and Dale Davis in for us. (Or Dyess instead of Dale)

The common theme to all this: The Pistons need to be maximizing their chances of winning it all this season. Anything less is unacceptable.

11. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Ahhh, from 3:37 to 7:53.... one brief shining moment.

Really, if you were here, I'm singing songs from Camelot.

12. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter First Round Draft Pick

I could-of swore I saw Delfino "duck" rather than taking a charge from LBJ last night. I do recall the play-by-play guys commentin on it. Was that a "flash" of something? Surely it wouldn't escape notice in these parts.

Maybe I'm the only one who seen it.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Are you saying Fino played smart? MH Good position is good position.

Lee we both like Amir but as long as Nazz and Davis are getting the job done his must wait his turn.
    There's only so much bench FlipS can handle. He's in way over his head now, what with rotating 9 guys. You gotta be happy.

14. Norty77

Norty77 Second Round Draft Pick

Did anyone tape the game on dec 21 vs. the cavs in Cleveland or know someone who did? Or happen to have been at the game and took a photo of Kid Rock courtside? If you do and contact me...I can give you a couple free t-shirts on retroragscollection.com ...Kid Rock wore one of my t-shirts and I didn't catch it on tv. Black tee, Grande Ballroom with the old english D on it in the shape of a guitar.
    email detroitretrorags@hotmail.com

15. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Nazz is not getting the job done. Despite 4 all star type players in our starting unit, we are just barely over 50% so far in win / loss for that unit. In other words, this unit is just mediocre. Last year, our starting unit rocked, outscoring the opponent well over 2/3 the time.

The main thing lacking with our starting unit is help out D when someone drives the lane on us. Its just not there. JMAX or Dale Davis should start to make this problem go away. And no, our second unit does not need the problem either. Mohammed should not be in the rotation. He was not good enough to stick in the rotation for SA, and he is not good enough for Detroit.

16. mercury

mercury Bench Warmer

Delfino= overated on most boards... maybe he'll actually make a real difference in a game (both sides of the ball)... it's time to quit finding minor bright points... if he's truly good then he'll show more than the other teams reserves.
    The PT excuse is long gone.

17. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I agree Merc, and maybe I`m a fool, but I believe he will make a difference on both sides of the ball.

Also, I believe Joe D (not Flip) has given Delfino this season to put up or shut up. If he doesn`t put up, after this year he may be shipped off!

18. webz

webz All-Star Snub Administrator 2x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

its something that kevin martin is now figuring out, reference his little slump a couple of weeks ago when he was being double teamed. if it comes to the point of j-max being double teamed that can only be a good thing for us.

well he was trying not to foul the guy, i think it might have been hughes, can't remember but it did look pretty funny. he wasn't in position to try and draw the charge.

pretty good game by the pistons. sheed got booed quite a lot, and didnt really have a good game. the thing i noticed about this game is that it got quite physical and the refs let a lot of stuff go. it was like a time warp to 2004. good to see. the more they let that stuff go the more it helps us.
    brahma was nasty. got kerr backtracking on his barkley comparison a little. (kerr = loser)
    delfino is playing ok, but nothing stands out about the guy. at least it looks like he's trying to fit in and play within the flow and help out on the little things, unlike mr. murray who totally disrupts any offensive set with his 1 track mind (shoot first). i can see his minutes spiralling if he keeps up that kind of thinking. he just doesnt look like a piston out there, like joe smith when he was here. someone you know will be gone in a year, not showing any heart or desire to 'become' a true piston.
    glad to see dice have a nice game, he was really going for those boards, one-handed even. he even passed up a jumper to pump fake Z and go to the basket. i like that. he needs to mix it up more often. (note to sheed)

19. max

max All-Star

That would be great if we actually had a frontcourt bench player drawing double teams. Open things up for everyone else.

I agree. Wish he was never signed here. Now that he is, can you just bench him given that huge contract? Maybe they are playing him to keep his trade value up.

Amir not playing would also be one of my main gripes at this time. Just had essentially 3 new players integrated since Davis and Maxiel did not play last season so perhaps a 4th like Johnson would be too much all at once. Hopefully Amir will start getting some PT around mid-Jan or so, we will see.

20. lemonpen

lemonpen First Round Draft Pick

That situation is already addressed on page 3,586 of FlipS's playbook. Just ask him. :stirthepot: