At Cleveland December 21st 8:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2006' started by Dlev59, Dec 18, 2006.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Maxiell had the 2nd most FG's on the team and he only played 17 minutes. It is time to play him until he gets in foul trouble every night. Let's get some use out of a young guy before his contract is up.

Murray was really chuckin the ball early. Did Delfino even take a shot?

No matter how everyone does, I like these games where we just throw bodies at em. It keeps the energy level up and has got to be good for the confidence of the bench.
  2. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

My random thoughts:

A GREAT game from the bench both in terms of minutes and production. And it wasn't even a back to back! We need more of these.

Only 2 starters with more than 30 minutes tonight.

J-Max has officially arrived. He truely is a beast. He has forced Flip to play him.

Varejao is a flopper. The league needs a diving rule like the NHL. All potential "flops" should be reviewed. A fine each time and a 1 game suspension for repeat offenders should do the trick. Crap like that is embarrassing for the league and the game. I only caught parts of the game but I saw a minimum of 2 blatant flops in the short time he was on the court.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The Flopping got me thinking about another problem that I see with basketball... the obvious drawing of fouls by the offensive player. What if there was a rule that any time the offensive player invites contact, it is not a foul? Why should it be a foul if they were seeking it out?

You could still pump fake and draw the foul going straight into your shooting motion. But these guards that jump into the defender should not get the calls.

Varejao really got embarrassed on that 2nd flop attempt though. ha.
  4. max

max All-Star

Not sure what to make out of that game, if it was Clev not hitting any shots or the D or whatever. I will take it.

NBA.com: Pistons at Cavaliers Boxscore

You just knew someone was going to take over the game in the 4th. Tonight it was the Pistons.

What is up with the bench? Or Flip playing them? What this team needed, just almost shocked that Flip is playing them. Really amazing to see Blaylock out there before Flip Murry. Maxiel continues to play great and Dyess even had a good game.
  5. jammertime

jammertime Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great point. I totally agree. D-Wade is really bad for that.

:pound: I couldn't believe it either. I turned on the t.v. when Blalock was in and was like "Who the heck is that?" I thought it was Acker at first and I was watching a repeat from an old game or something. :pound:

Then I saw J-Max & Delfino in as well and figured that Flip must have either been ejected or out sick.

I have a feeling that Joe had a little tete-a-twitch and gave Flip a little free advice.

"Flip, I advise you to start playing the bench if you want to remain employeed."
  6. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The Maxiel effect. Maxiel gets in the game and suddenly we become a fast, aggressive team. He energizes everyone. Even Dice woke up and played like Maxiel. If this guy is for real we could be in for a long ride this year.
  7. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

Maxiell played a heck of a game (As usual). Once he starts hitting FTs (he was much better in college), he'll be unstoppable. If Dice gets his form back we'll have quite bench. He needs to be the 1st man off the bench simply to bring the energy he does early on.

Murray Sucks. Not much else to note. He's worse than Mo Evans. I get the feeling that Flip sees it too though.

Delfino can't score, but at this point I don't mind. He still has a big impact on the court with his rebounding and defense. Good to see that Flip seems to be seeing some of the other things he can do on the court now. Next step: Get him slashing.

Blalock was decent. Biggest thing is he defends and he keeps the ball moving. That's all I ask from him. I fear that when Hunter comes back he'll bring the bench back down with him.

Dice was Dice. FINALLY. Keep playing like that and we can get a core big-man rotation going of Sheed, Max, and Dice. With Nazr and Dale splitting the extras.
  8. max

max All-Star

If we are this excited to see some new guys bringing some energy can you imagine the impact it has on the other players? Guy like Maxiel comes in and totally changes the way the Pistons were playing inside. Even inspired Dyess to pick it up.

The Blaylock come in and does a solid job holding down the fort and sticking with the way Billups was managing the pace. That had to inspire Billups to turn his offensive game around in the 4th quarter.

jammer
    Glad its happening and hope it continues. Perhaps with Hunter out Flip finally figured out that playing Murry 30 mins is not going to get it done.
  9. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Nice, plain and simply put NICE!!!!!.
    After watching Colriss play in the second game it is COMPLETELY obvious that Max brings to the table everything Corliss took when we shipped him to Philly for DC, man we were missing IT for 2 full seasons, a tough-strong-contact LOVING presence inside. Man it's good to see a big that loves to battle and can actually intimidate in the paint. For crying out loud the sonics thought he was 6'11":pound:

A good tough win where we won the board war and the points in the paint and held their scoring down.......for a minute I thought I was watching the Blue Collar boys "Goin' to Work" again.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Max,

The other night, Davis was blocking shots with Maxiel. Maxiel is there waiting to block shots and the other guys--tonight it was Dice--feed off of that and have someone to work off of. It is a beautiful transformation to watch. I just hope it is real. It sure looks real.

Our pace is slow--that is the way we play and we play to win. No complaints. Larry always wanted someone off the bench to change the pace. Now, I see why. Maxiel comes in and the other team is totally not prepared for what he brings. It gives us another dimension.
  11. linwood

linwood All-Star

I couldn't watch this game, but from your description, this is everything I love about basketball. Hopefully, the Brahma is for real, and I get to watch him for many years to come.

Show some love.
  12. himat

himat Bench Warmer

We all know that we still have arguably the top starters, but the bench is starting to like like an elite one as well. Once Blalock gets more experience this bench will be really good. Dice starts slow, I'm being patient with him. If Delfino gets hot in his jumper that's only a plus. He does everything else and it makes a huge impact. Our rotation now looks like it may be solid 10 man rotation. Once Lindsey gets back it will be 11. Dupree could do things for this team too, he played yesterday and did well.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Good recap Mr. Slip.
  14. 16 Mile

16 Mile Bench Warmer

Good game. Best part was that I'm starting to feel good about this team going into the playoffs.

Best starting 4 in the NBA. Blaylock can run the point. Murray getting his minutes cut. Delfino looking comfortable on the court, and JMax being JMax.

JMax and Delfino could be a great bench, as they can shift from the 2 to the 5, giving everyone a break but CB. Throw in DD and Blaylock/LH, and we're solid.

People criticise Delfino's shot, but he's not reallly in the offense, when he gets a shot, it's usually a bad look with the shot clock running down. What he does well doesnt show up in the stats. He moves, unlike Evans, forcing his man to move, and not be able to double. He doesn't force shots. He passes well. He can run the break. And his D is good. Great stuff on Lebron, but like Slip noted, Lebron got the superstar call.

And JMax finally made a true believer out of me when I saw him cover Z, and force Z to make a bad shot over JMax's long arms. I'm calling him Inspector gadget now, instead of Brahma. Those arms are freaky.
  15. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

I was going to jokingly add that Maxiell needs to learn to do the "intangibles" better but really, the guy needs to learn how to pass the ball. IMO he tarnished a golden performance with some crappy FT shooting and by not being able to pass the ball in a meaningful way.

I was hoping for dupree to come in earlier. The team was up by 17 with 5 minutes to go. I think he would have done well as the Cav's looked slow.

Delf NEEDS to hit that shot. everyone gives him an open look cuz they don't think he can hit that. He needs to be a threat so defenders don't sag. He's much more valuable with the drive but he won't get much opportunities with that errant jumper.
  16. roscoe36

17. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Steve Kerr made that exact point when Rip pulled that maneuver to get to the line at the beginning of the game. I said "Steve Kerr is right" just as a certain forum leader who shall remain nameless popped open a can of hateration on Kerr. :stirthepot:
  18. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

He does need to improve in those categories, but he brings so much energy and toughness to the table that I don't mind cutting him slack for now in other areas.

Linwood, believe it, man. This guy is the truth!
  19. linwood

linwood All-Star

That's good news, since I am the Vice Admiral of his fan club. :captain:

I've been waiting patiently for the former Bearcat to break out, so now I will sit back and enjoy. :pop2:

(I won't parade around here trying to rub in my superior scouting on anyone! :))
  20. roscoe36

Flip Murray is quite simply playing for his next pay day. I think Dupree in what little we saw of him was trying to force his shot, and get his own. Performances like that are not going to earn more playing time.

I think all of the "Flip is a bad coach" club (including myself) need to recognize that he has really made massive and impressive changes with the rotation.

I remember the night we drafted Maxiell and Acker. I was at the Yahoo draft site, and they had 3 minute videos of their college highlights. There is no way you can watch Max in that video and think he wouldn't be a player in this league.

Amazingly, he's bringing so much more POWER to the table. I think he was lighter and player a little more on the perimeter in college. In the NBA, he's been the answer to all of our "points in the paint" issues.

Blalock could be a gem. It's unlikely he'll be a superstar, but we have him playing at the cheapest possible value and he's contributing solid minutes. 60th pick, last man in the draft. Joe is going to need low priced talent like this to continue building the team.

Nazr is a strange player. For 5 minutes, he can have you WHOOPing and pumping your fist in the air. Then you spend the next time he's on the court clawing your eyes out and moaning like a wounded animal.

Delfino has really impressed me of late. What better kind of guy to replace Tayshaun on the floor at times? Glue for glue. Plenty of intangibles. My only concern is that he still isn't contributing regularly as a scorer and at one point, that will catch up to him.

Nice to see Dice finally get some rhythm on offense in the 4th. He was at the top of my trade list coming into this game.

Always good to beat up the Cavs. I dislike Lebron. He's lacking any charisma, competitive fire or character. Gooden is a beggar's Carlos Boozer, Ilgauskas is soft as all get out and Varejao should put on a pink tutu before he enters the game so everyone knows he is a princess.

The only Cavs I like are Larry Hughes and Eric Snow.