At Cleveland Cavs March 31st, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, that was a bad call when James ran Prince over. But you know, calls get called wrong. That hardly cost us the game.

I see several people are claiming Herrmann defended Bron well. Forget that. The team defended him well. Herrmann stayed right up on him and several Pistons were watching his back preventing a drive.

You know I am going to diss Herrmann, so I might as well get that over: Look at the 2nd quarter where we hit a bunch of buckets. And Cleveland responded every time, with ease. Study that bit of film, and tell me why Cleveland was scoring so easily. Might it be anything to do with Herrmann not being able to catch up to any of the plays? (The answer is yes.) To be fair, we did have a decent defensive stretch with him in the game in the 2nd half, as Cleveland was using a slower pace, not leaving Herrmann behind.

Also, Cleveland was often seen ignoring Herrmann completely, and the Pistons were seen not passing the ball to him.

OK, so Sheed made it back for one game. Suspended for the next one cause he decided he could not stop arguing a call that was done with already. Not that it helped having Sheed back. Sheed back. Amir does not play. Add a player. Lose a player coaches decision. Worse, we added a third center, and by coach's choice, lost a power forward, leaving us with just one. You want to argue we played good enough D? Good enough D is when you win. Sheed did nail a few triples in the first half.

Kwame had one of his better games of the year on offense. Yes, we did have some post play, from Kwame. Dyess and Sheed don't do that.

AI is back, playing 3rd string point guard apparently. My opinion, go back to starting AI and Rip. Have Bynum, Stuckey, and Afflalo start the 2nd half. AI gave us a bit of a scoring boost in the 4th quarter, getting us ahead for a brief moment.

We started out the game out - rebounding them 17-3, I believe. From there though, it was probably even or Cleveland's advantage. They seem to be missing Ben.

Bron was held in check for much of the game. Tay and Rip both did a lot of good work defending him, and the team did a great job of backing up whoever was on him.

Rip shot horrible.

Dyess? Pansy outside shot game. And this against a team sorely lacking in inside D with Ben out. Shame on him. Of course, Sheed was no better, but he did hit those 3 triples. No excuse, but at least he gave us that nice spurt of scoring.

Stuckey had a nice drive here and there. But again, Bynum outplayed him, also getting some drives to go plus nailing an outside shot here and there. Bynum did mess up with that bad pass late. Who knows, maybe Curry would have let Bynum finish the game if that pass had not happened. AI and Rip were in for a moment after that, but Curry took AI out in favor of Stuck. Now, that I don't see. AI had been providing some scoring, and Curry did not put AI in until the start of the 4th so he had plenty in the tank.

Kwame made a nice strong move to the basket from the right to put us up 15-7. After that, we kept the lead at 8 or 9 most of the rest of the 1st half. But lost the lead in the last 3 minutes. It did not help that some of this time we went without a power forward. (and so could not get back in transition.)

Tay seemed to do quite well in the 1st half on O. Seemed to be very tired in the 2nd half. He desperately needs a quality backup.

Kwame and Dyess started. I am sure they will start the next game. Don't know if Sheed will continue to come off the bench. But you know, is anyone keeping track of how well we are doing since Dyess began starting?
  2. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

Lebron was 0-6 when Hermann was guarding him one on one.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Like clockwork buddy. During chat we talk about what you will say about Walt in the leecap. Your opinion is a hot topic before you even write it, because,
    :rofl: :rofl:
  4. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Nope, that was the help D. The Pistons are great at that. You saw another example early in the 4th when LeBron had the ball on P&R with Rip on him. Rip and Stuckey both went with the roller leaving LeBron wide open with the ball and his dribble at the top of the key.

Tay losing LeBron on the back door play in the 4th was another example of their fine defensive principles. Why would you expect him to score? Why even bother watching him? Lucky play if you ask me.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Is that why it takes you so long to post after the game, you are trying to think up a negative spin to put on Walt's game?

The team did not defend James well, Herrrman did. He dared him to shoot early in the clock and used his size to deter him late.
  6. slowfall

slowfall First Round Draft Pick

So the help D made Herrmann hold Lebron to 0-6 shooting? Where is the help D every other night?
    Help D kept Lebron from driving, Walter Herrmann kept Lebron from getting an easy J every shot was contested...except the one where Herrmann fell down lol and frantically tried to contest the shot but at that point he was in already in Lebrons head.

Lets call a spade a spade here Walter Herrmann SHUT LEBRON DOWN with some help.
  7. Ernie the Slow Adult

I was being sarcastic. There was no help D. It was Walt, all Walt.
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I just checked the box.

Walt lead the team with a +9.

Will Gunna get Mine had a +5

And AI was a +2

Rip was our worst player at -14.

Rip and Stuckey combined for 7 for 28 shooting (25%) and a bunch of rebounds, but only 3 assists. One could say, that if either of these guys had an A game, we would have won.

Unfortunately, AI and Bynum are outplaying them off the bench.
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Walter's spastic defense confused LBJ to the point where he didn't know WTH to do. Hermann is the new LBJ stopper.

If we face the Cavs in a 7 game series, he should start.

And his hair looked very nice today. Happy? LOL

Be prepared to give Amir props (if he ever plays again)

Seriously he didn't suck this game. Now if he could not suck consistently, we'd have something. Although the curse of no AA = hard to win might be too much to overcome. The problem with the glut at guard and the big position is quality players are getting shut out. CLE went right to attacking AI with no shame when he was guarding Gibson. That's part of the reason i really wanted to see the AI/AA tandem. I think it's the perfect combo on both ends. Or even Amir would help tremendously with the bench. Sheed tried to shadow Gibson but wasn't quick enough to recover. Amir can do that perfectly. I think AI is really valuable against CLE and i wish Curry could get the line-ups right for once. I really believe we can beat this team with the current personnel. If there's one team that we benefit against from this trade, it's CLE.

One guard has to go next year and so does one big. Curry is not smart enough to decide who should play.

edited to add;

The +/= is useless. At least that's what everybody says to excuse the fact that Amir has one of the highest on the team.
  10. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I refused to watch teh last 2 minutes of the game because of those two idiots. I paln on killing Mcleod one day!1 I SWEAR I WILL!!!!!:6shoot:
  11. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I refused to watch the last 2 minutes of the game because of those two idiots.
  12. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

You do know Smooth that THAT playbyplay announcer used to be OUR playbyplay announcer!!! I hated him even THEN! I CANT STAND A HOMER!!!!!:6shoot:
  13. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

wORSE THAN THE 4TH QUARTER NONCALL of James pushing Herrman in the face going to the basket? and whats with James and all his asskissing bench friends doing this armflexing crap? I cant wait for James to meet Blake Griffin next year!!
  14. Ernie the Slow Adult

I don't recall him being that enthusiastic with DET. At least Tommy Heinsohn is funny sometimes and there is always a chance he might attack one of the refs if something goes against BOS.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Did you say 'Curry' or 'Curly'??

[​IMG]

and WHo has the better suit? Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk!!!!
  16. Ernie the Slow Adult

This is interesting. Who rushed him to get back playing? I wonder if they've limited his minutes to protect his injury?

Detroit Pistons vs. Cleveland Cavaliers - Recap - March 31, 2009 - ESPN
  17. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Glad to know my Wil 'Gunnagetmine' nickname has caught on! LOl...It was like when we saw Pistonsforum.com on SI.com's website!!!:smoke06:
  18. detteam

detteam All-Star

Just make sure no strays hit Beth :nailbiting:
  19. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

20. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Sure would have been nice to win, but the Cavs are a lot better.

- Kwame played quite well. 9 boards in 22 minutes, only one TO. And a couple of really nice old school fouls. Notice that LBJ stayed out of the lane when Kwame was in there. Also did a good job screening guys when another Piston drove the lane.

- Overall, a great game defensively - Cavs shoot 39%, 20% from 3, get outrebounded by ten. But, too many TOs, and too many bricks made it all for naught.

- Rip, Tay, and Stuck shot the team down. Dyess too. Only AI and Max were above 50%.

- Pretty good minutes distribution. Only Rip played more than 34 while the Cavs had four guys higher than that, and two over 40.

- But, the game was lost at the end of the second quarter when mostly starters came back in off the bench with only a couple of minutes in the quarter. MC still can't figure out that's a dumb thing. He still plays all starters the whole first quarter which makes rotations practically impossible the rest of the half.