At Cleveland Cavs March 31st, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 29, 2009.

1. BallDon'tLie

BallDon'tLie All-Star 3x Fantasy Champion

Huh?
    Someone in WHOS shoes?

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Someone in the shoes of someone getting jerked around IMO.

He gets pulled for reasons that other people don't get pulled for. He goes from awesome and vital to the team to DNPs. He gets his starting spot taken away for no reason.

It rarely coincides with his actual play but more with Curry's mood swings.

3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Joe gave him a lot of money up front before he did anything.

If Amir acts out, he'll never get another meaningful contract. We're going into a major economic contraction. The guys who get squeezed are anyone with a marginal contract and marginal impact (maybe due to PT). As I told a friend recently, "Now is not the time to ask for a raise". Likewise for an NBA player, this is not the time to make waves if you are looking for your next deal and more playing time. This is when you zip it, play good soldier and be happy you have a job.

I know this is hard to believe, because people have Darko goggles for Amir, and if the internet was around 25 years ago, people would have had Darko goggles for William Bedford, but he's not as good as people think he is. He's also not as bad as some people think he is. But Joe is in the driver's seat with Amir's career. He was when he drafted him after being passed over. He was when he dedicated a long time front office man to babysit Amir in the D-League. And he was when he gave him $9 million contract, which has to be a D-League (j/k) record.

I don't even know who Sean Williams is.
    re: Tyrus Thomas, Joe Dumars != Paxon, Pistons != Bulls

If Joe can trade Billups, send Hamilton and AI to the bench, he's still the Alpha dog leading a pack of puppies around the yard.

No adult ever got anywhere by "acting out".

This is exactly what everyone should want Amir to do. Keep his yap shut, work hard and earn more time. Sad that he has to be frustrated to be motivated though.

4. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

There have been many times this year when Curry pulled AJ and gave him a serious dressing down on the way back to the bench. I take that as a pretty clear indication that he didn't execute what the coaches wanted him to.

Maybe that happens because Curry is a know-nothing basketball coach and is asking him to do the wrong things. At times I've certainly been a card carrying member of the anti-MC club. But maybe, given that AJ is now under his second coach who doesn't seem to have the confidence in him to put him on the floor, just maybe that is starting to look like something about the player rather than the coach. Just saying...

5. max

max All-Star

I have seen that too.

Curry even gave him the starting spot when the season began,

6. dba

This is one of the main reasons I have problems with the notion that AI is tanking it. What he does right now is probably the difference between an MLE and a more lucrative contract next season. The MLE won't even pay for the entourage, though you could definitely see the new hair as a cost cutting initiative.

7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I don't think that's the case. The article was basically structured around that his fluctuating PT and lack of a chance lately so the question was probably phrased in that way as well.

edited to add; Sean Williams plays for NJ.

If Curry pulled someone and yelled at them for "not executing the game plan" every time, we wouldn't have anyone to play. There are players that are constantly out of position defensively, or take shots that are cringe-worthy. There have been times when other players had to verbally and physically instruct another player on where he's supposed to be in a particular sequence.

Regardless if Amir is doing anything wrong or not (and i still don't believe thats what mainly that affecting his PT or that that is it), Curry judges him by a different standard than everyone else so saying it might just be the players doesn't work for me. And the players that Curry does have confidence in make my head hurt.

Flip is also not a frame of reference for me since i blocked him out after the Evans/Hayes debacle.

I'll stop now before this really turns into an Amir thread.

8. roscoe36

We're going to see an interesting collision of senses of entitlement the next two offseasons.

Players whose agents assure them they can get more money, and owners who think they can outsmart and outwait their talent.

I'm not having a good time, but in a way, this readjustment is a breath of fresh air. Now we can get back to rational contracts and management that has to work for the money.

9. dba

Sans Darko, all threads are really Amir threads. Sometimes we just borrow them for a while.

So, the salary cap is set based on a share of league revenues. Stern has warned that total revenues may go down so the cap may also shrink. How does that work with contracts?

If the cap goes down, do player contracts also automatically adjust down relatively?

Or, do they stay the same so a team keeping the exact same players at the exact same salaries as last season could find themselves over the cap next year when they were fine this year?

I'm thinking the latter is true, though the former might have made more sense. But that would have required someone to imagine a future without boundless growth.

Where there is collision and confusion, there is also opportunity for the clever. The next two seasons will weed out the suits from the guys who really know how to build a team.

10. roscoe36

Nope.

Yup.

Have you read the "Black Swan"?

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

If being over the cap means that you pay the luxury tax...
    and being under the cap means that you get the luxury tax...

That would mean that if all teams go over except for 1, then all the tax revenue would go straight to that 1 team. More realistically, you'll have 10 teams that aren't able to make it under and they'll have to pay the luxury tax to the 20 teams that are under.

Seems like a risk you take if you get close to the cap without any flexibility.

But for a team like us, who has tons of flexibility, we should be able to prey on those that are desperate, right?

12. roscoe36

The tax isn't distributed like that.

This is from memory, so it could be technically weak as an explanation.

First the league can appropriate the luxury tax funds for major capital projects, like say starting a Chinese basketball league. They usually do not do this.

Then the league divides the remainder among the non-tax teams, with some kept in reserve, which is then distributed to all teams.

So you could pay $5 million in luxury tax, and get a $100,000 luxury tax disbursement.

If you read Larry Coon's NBA FAQ, he explains this very well.

13. dba

I haven't read read that one in particular, but I have read other Taleb (Fooled by Randomness is really good) and he covers a lot of the same ground. There is a lot in there about evaluating risk based on both the chances something will happen, but also the possible consequences.

I wish he would show a little less personality when he writes.

14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Projects like the WNBA?

15. roscoe36

I haven't read a lot of his stuff, but I have devoured everything he has online. Smart cat.

16. roscoe36

Perhaps. I don't know how that league is structured relative to the NBA re: ownership.

17. dba

The stuff on survivorship bias is awfully good if you can locate that.

18. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

77 post and the game is like 6 hrs away.

WOW!

19. dba

We're trying to get our minds off playing the Cavs with a playoff birth on the line.

Is it working?

20. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Not yet, but an interesting discussion.