At Cleveland Cavs March 31st, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'March 2009' started by Dlev59, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I refuse to do that until they accomplish something. All they've done is demolish the teams that they're supposed to beat and then struggle against all the decent teams out there. I need to double check, but I think they've got a losing record against the elite teams (Lakers, Orlando, SAS, Boston etc).

If they weren't schooled so bad in the Finals two years ago, I would've given them props. So far they've accomplished nothing.
  2. Walter

Arrogance is not necessary to be a top player. Confidence, yes. Arrogance no. I keep going back to the example of Tim Duncan.
  3. Walter

Yes, Kobe is not like that at all. I don't ever remember seeing him as trying to be the center of attention.
  4. Walter

Clevelanders take no offense, but it may be a market thing. There are other things going on in LA, but in Cleveland he IS the main attraction.
  5. Walter

This "taking turns at the championship" concept reminds me of the pee-wee soccer games I take my 3-year old to where everyone gets a trophy in the end.

I disagree. I'd love to see the Spurs meet the Celtics in the finals, and inevitably dismantle them.
  6. Walter

Actually, I don't see him winning a title in Cleveland. He may win one if he goes to a team that doesn't mind paying luxury tax to get him a top quality sidekick and a proper supporting cast.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm not really seeing the LBJ "works so hard on his game".

He relies on natural talent IMO.

He still has no post game which coaches have wanted him develop for awhile. He just doesn't like to play in the post therefore he doesn't do it regardless of it's effect.

His shooting mechanics are still awful, and he hasn't made any effort to fix them.

His footwork is lacking.

There's a reason why Kobe's game is so much more diverse and fluid and that doesn't have to do with his "heart" or "clutch ability".

Every time someone tries to give LBJ constructive criticism or advice that doesn't essentially say "you are god", his reaction is to call them "stupid".

I remember some coach giving him pointers and saying essentially that he could be the greatest player of all time if he worked on etc, and his reaction was so childish. When Barkely pointed out that maybe he shouldn't be a media-whore about the NY/leaving thing b/c of how it might affect his teammates, again childish reaction.

I have no problem respecting a player that is talented and has a healthy dose of confidence (read; not attention whore). Lebron is not that. He's a spoiled brat. I get he's young, but it's not just that IMO.
  8. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

You're joking.

And when you're Lebron, who needs a post up game when you can zoom around fools/get cowardly defenders to part like the red sea by revving up the engine and flooring it?

You're nitpicking. Footwork? Shooting mechanics?
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I think i've given pretty good reasons for my view. What indicates to you that he works so hard?
  10. The Palace Artest

That post was the epitome of nitpicking. It needs to be framed for reference. Nobody ever called Lebron the perfect player but he's the best the league's got right now. He makes up for his inane deficiencies in so many other ways that it cancels them out and THEN some.

BTW, fluid Kobe can't make plays like Lebron. As a matter of fact he cannot even SEE Lebron when it comes to playmaking ability.

Because he's a freak athlete means that he doesn't work hard?

All those one times. What an a-hole.

Kobe is an a-hole. Carlos Boozer is an a-hole. Deshawn Stevenson is an a-hole.
  11. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

You are still giving me absolutely no reason why you think LBJ works hard on his game.

If you think it's nitpicking so be it, but all the things that LBJ excels at are based on his natural talent and raw athletic ability. The points that i made about his game are of constant talk among CLE fans who watch him on a daily basis and wonder these same things.

It's a little embarrassing that Lebron has a hard time posting up a "Rodney Stuckey". Actually if you watch his games against ORL, they get away w/ putting Courtney Lee on him with success.

LBJ has stated himself that he needs to work on his post up game/footwork for years and nada. It seems like he will when it becomes absolutely neccessary.

A coach pointed out that LBJ could have better footwork, mechanics, etc.; he reacted that way.

Barkely said what he said; he reacted that way.

I'm basing this on what the situations that have given a frame of reference. Being critical of LBJ is not a popular thing to do in the media.

Again give me a reason you feel this way b/c all i'm getting is "LBJ is awesome, you're nuts to think otherwise".
  12. The Palace Artest

It's nitpicking. We'll leave it at that, as this argument will probably go nowhere, because you're providing unfalsifiable claims that Lebron doesn't work hard on his game just because he's an athletic freak.
  13. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

That is embarrassing. A lawn gnome could post up Rodney Stuckey. lol

[​IMG]
  14. The Palace Artest

Dunno about that, but the gnome's pump fake from 3 could set up the four point play.
  15. max

max All-Star

28 PPG 6.7 APG 7 RPG .487 FG pct is not too shaby for someone with no post game or jump shot and with bad footwork. We could use a guy like that.
  16. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I never said he sucked, he's naturally crazy-talented, but until he expands his game he's going to continue to be easy for the "elite" teams to limit him. Guard him with a player that has the speed to keep him out of lane, and he can't punish them in the post. All you gotta do is cross your fingers and hope his jump shot is not "on".

edited to add;

OT, but a quote from Amir

Pistons' Will Bynum gains confidence, playing time - Detroit Pistons Basketball: News, Blogs, Photos, Audio, Schedule & Stats - MLive.com

I give the kid major credit. Someone in his shoes probably would have asked for a trade numerous times by now.

Maybe he will have a 3rd quarter like the last game against CLE . . .

and then Curry will take him out.
  17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That's one way of looking at it, and could indeed be the right one. The other way would be to give the kid credit for knowing that his game is pretty limited and that he often fails to execute what the coaches put him into the game to do, and still doesn't get frustrated with himself, but continues to work hard.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Yeah, and that the Amir Johnsons of the world don't make trade demands.

Amir: Uhm, Joe I need to talk to you for a minute.

Joe: What's up Amir?

Amir: I want to be traded.

Joe: Not happening.

Amir: Uhm, well then I'm going to hold out.

Joe: No you're not.

Amir: Uhm, well I won't be coming to practice.

Joe: Yes you will.

Amir: Uh, OK Joe. Nice talking to you.

Joe: Nice talking to you Amir.​
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Wouldn't it be cool if NBA players all wore big tall pointy wizard hats when they were playing? I'm not exactly sure why, but I'm finding this to be hilarious.

O.k., I'm going back to work now.
  20. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I would buy that if he actually did the bolded part. I don't believe that's true partly because it's not true and partly b/c Curry doesn't know what he puts anyone in the game to do and usually states they did the opposite of what they actually did.

No, but he could definitely go the way of a Sean Williams/TT and start acting out. He seems to have a good head on his shoulders from what we've heard from him quote wise so far.