at Cleveland Cavaliers Wednesday February 9 7:00 pm

Discussion in 'February 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I think it's getting a bit Thrilling in here.
    -----------
    If the PG has a good +/-, but the rest of the team doesn't, could it be because the rest of the team can't function/carry their own weight ?
    Or should the PG go down with the ship with minus' for everyone ?

2. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

It gets kind of convoluted when you have 3 point guards on the team. Overall, the point guard play surely either gets credit for the win or the loss as much as any position - kind of like the quarterback. But in Cleveland game - it was not the starting nor backup point guard most responsible for winning the game. Rodney Stuckey, who both played off guard well, and point guard well in this game deserves that honor more.

3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Same here, I root for any Piston on the floor to do well. However, when discussing the game later, I will point out options we could have gone to. Like playing Rip in this game, instead of Bynum, and using Stuckey as the backup point - which actually we did do somewhat even though Bynum was out there.

Tay has been my favorite Piston player for some years now, but right now, I think Daye should be starting instead - or even having a backcourt of Stuckey, Rip, with TMAC playing point-small forward. Not for one second does this mean I am rooting for Tay any less. I just want to see the Pistons win, and go deep in the playoffs. Not to much to ask, in my opinion, with all the talent they have on this team.

Just to follow that up. Stuckey brings the ball up. Here, TMAC can play a bit of off guard or small forward on offense. Once it turns into a halfcourt set, TMAC takes over the point guard duties. Whoever is acting as point guard has Rip Hamilton out there for a shooter. For half court sets, you got Monroe posting up, 2 guys in TMAC and Stuckey who can take it to the hoop, a fine shooter in Rip. Ben Wallace and Monroe are there for the offensive boards for the occasional missed shot.

This leaves for the 2nd unit: Stuckey or TMAC as the point guard, Daye as the shooting guard, Tay as the small forward, JMAX at power forward, Wilcox at center.

Ben Gordon and CV are left out here. As well as Bynum, Summers, White, JJ.

4. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good idea. Thanks!!!

Oops. Too late. Darth just picked him up.

5. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

This line-up has no shooters though, and we are back to where we were last season...Rip is inconsistent from range (I'm not saying BG isnt), teams could afford to collapse on Stuckey, and having Ben Wallace in the game leaves his man to roam as well. T-Macs outside shot isnt falling quite yet, and Monroe is still simplistic on offense.

6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Rip has led the league before in 3 point shooting. TMAC's shot seems to be coming around. Stuckey has nailed several 3's from a set position of late when acting as the shooting guard. His display of shooting this last game is partially why I wrote that post.

7. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Starter 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I feel ya Lee, I was surprised to see Stuck hit those outside shots. Maybe he is relaxing a little bit, knowing that the "pressure is off". Rip HAS lead the league in 3 point shooting, you are right. Not for a few seasons though, and that is my point. He shoots 45% one year, then 34 the next, 44 the next, and 36, 30, so on. He's not a consistent outside threat.

8. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

9. BillLaimbeer

Rip is done...D...O...N...E....done.

10. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

That's snap judgement. He was just nursing his groin this game.

11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Also, Bynum hit a 3-pointer, was the only Piston who was perfect from the free throw line, and had as many assists as our other 2 point guards combined. Not a bad outing considering he has never played 2 good games in a row prior to this.

That 3-pointer that he hit is equal to Will Blalock's career NBA total. The original WB's currently playing for the Townsville Crocodiles. http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?c=0-189-88242-95997-11143963&a=STATS

12. BillLaimbeer

Will Blalock has 11 3-pointers for the Crocodiles. I'm sure he is still riding the momentum from that special one that he drained for the Pistons.

13. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

TaS, I apreciate how you go to bat for our guys but at some point you got to say .3?? ball aint good enough. They are all stinking it up.
    Now don't try and blame it on the refs. Half the people and me here can do that. :yellowprison:

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

From December 26 thru present, we have lost to 10 quality opponents. The loss to Miami was the only game of these 10 where Bynum was plus for the game. But they say lightning does not strike twice.

15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

OK, I'll do it.

.3??? ball aint good enough.

I'd shout if from the rafters if I could.

16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Poll time...