At Cleveland April 21 8PM Round 1 Game 2

Discussion in '2009 Playoffs' started by max, Apr 20, 2009.

1. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

He was just riding Hermann's coattails. ;)
  2. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

No need to update it now...anyways
  3. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Our defense was quick and on a string during the start of the fourth. We could switch and recover, bust the boards, trap, all the things you need to do against this team.

Amir was quick to double and recover and he held his own on the boards.

All that energy and athleticism is sitting on the bench the whole game. I wish Curry would sprinkle it throughout the game so we can take advantage of it instead of playing a lineup of Sheed, Dice and Kwame like he did tonight.
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Pistons show up disinterested and allow the James Gang to cruise to 77-50 lead at the end of three. Only bright spot was Amir showing his muscles with a hard foul on Lebron and then he managed to square up with sideshow bob with a nice push off for an I care T.

Piston scrubs start the 4th qtr on 25-6 run with Bynum and Alf leading the charge, but then a silly foul by Bynum with 4:04 left, stops the momentum as Curry takes out Herrman and Amir for Rip and Dice. The COY Brown had already showed signs of panic by putting three of his starters back in.

Once Rip and Dice return, the Cavs go on a 11-3 run to seal the game as Bynum misses three straight jumpers, Rip misses two and Dice misses one....and the game was over. Why they didn't slow the game down by going to the rim for some possible and one situations was beyond me?? With less than 4 mins left you want to be able to score while the clock is not moving...

FT discrepancy Cavs 32-43, Pistons 13-16:yellowprison: We made more FG's than they did (32-28), so once again the game was lost at the line because we were lovin them jumpshots...

Maybe our second unit guys should have started the 3rd qtr or even the second?? Bottom line, our scrubs looked better than theirs for about 8 minutes in the 4th.

We may be able to steal one at home, but tonight might be the last time the Pistons see Quicken Loans Arena unless they are guests of Lebron during the finals.
  5. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

From the little i saw at the bar/restaurant. Yes i made them turn it on b/c i'm a masochist (a guilty masochist).

Go Amir. Great foul :cheerleader:; too bad Curry pulled you.

From what i could tell Curry outdid Flip tonight in terms of bench minutes. IIRC, No subs for almost the entire third, and i'm assuming the rally was made with majority bench players ?

+13
    +18

Can anyone guess what those are? The irony . . . LOL

Is there really a need for Ben Wallace to play 8 minutes? Is he being eased back in or what?

This SL still sucks, and for all those still watching, it's only going to get worse if it continues.

I'd reiterate other stuff, but i could just take my post in another thread and re post it after every game. Same %#%, different day.

Expected outcome, but props to Curry for screwing it up even further. 2 more games of this and we're done! I'd almost be willing to bet that we see the same SL next game and very similar minute distributions when the game is close.
  6. Delfino Delivers

The problem is he took out the two players that were doing the doubling and causing the turnovers and put in a slow center and an undersized three.
  7. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This clears up alot. Thanks. I was wondering what happened.

I really feel like this strategy of trapping, sporadic doubling, using speed defensively will be very effective against LBJ/CLE. Glad to know it worked granted in a not so perfect test situation.
  8. Delfino Delivers

Or vice versa.:stirthepot:
  9. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This is not possible. His stats do not reflect that. Obviously he was tricking people with his "intangibles".
  10. Delfino Delivers

Walter spreads the floor and Amir is constantly moving and setting screens for everbody. When you bring in Dice and Rip; both of those qualities go away. They came in and it became one on one basketball with contested jumpers. Amir was freeing up Bynum at the top and giving him options. Dice do that and Rip.
  11. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Curry had better be fired after we are eliminated in game 4.
  12. max

max All-Star

Thought we were going to pull it out there for a minute. Got it down to 6.

When Clev pulled their starters I knew there would be a small window because I will take out scrubs over any other scrubs in the league and certainly against Clev.

Curry really should have left them in there or at least left Amir in for Dyess. At least he left AA, Bynum and Maxiel in there.

Going to give the Cavs something to think about for game 3 ( I doubt it ) but its nice to think of anyway.

Go back to starting Amir if you want to win this. He deserved it with his thugish play - maybe we can get some intimidation factor out of it. The way he was sending guys to the floor it will give them something to think about.

Well. nice to think about but the reality is - we will be back to Sheed, Dyess and Tay next game. As usual.
  13. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

All Cleveland has done is hold serve. This one looks like it is going 7.

I hate to rain on Team Amir's parade, but the Cavs quit playing. CLE had their bench in to start the 4th and their starters were probably making dinner plans when they were put back in the game. Who were they showing and recovering against?

The little things again (like talent and will) killed DET again. If you stopped the plays after the shot was taken, DET D was actually pretty good. They were solid against pick & rolls and were contesting shots for the most part, but the got killed on the boards and that is an understatement.

Turnovers also killed them and that, unfortunately, is another understatement. Dyess looked like he was blinded for a portion of the first half with some of that passes he made.

This isn't about individual players. DET is shorthanded. They can only win if they play like they did when won in BOS and Orlando with Rip scoring a lot and Stuckey close behind.

CLE has a play maker and lots of shooters. The Pistons do not. You can see their offense dying when they swing the ball back to Stuckey.

I think Curry's biggest mistake was not bringing Tay back in the 4th. That killed them.
  14. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

To quote 'Scoe "That is one of my least favorite cliches.

Finally...just a bit of reality. I don't begrudge anyone for wanting to see the kid play, but he's being given an awful lot of credit for having done so little with his NBA career.
  15. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Bynum in the game with 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter of a playoff game? Who would have thought that was possible at the start of the season? Bynum could have been sent to the D-league and none of us would have ever known the difference. But the guy looks legit.

Lebron had more free throws that the entire Pistons team... and the calls all seemed pretty fair. That is a problem. Also notice that it was our bigs picking up most of the fouls (Dyess and Brown), which means that the perimeter defense failed to contain Lebron again. And only 1 PF by Prince, which wasn't even on Lebron. What the heck is he doing out there?

It was obvisouly nice to see that we made a game of it. I believe we held Cleveland to 1 FG in the first 10 minutes of the 4th quarter before putting the studs back in the game. That is the only way to come back from such a large deficit... hold your oponent to almost zero. It was disappointing to see the guys that got us back into leave the game, but good job by Curry leaving them in for so long in the first place. Not really a coaching failure to put in Rip Hamilton and Dyess (who immediately hit a nice J when he entered). But would be nice to see the energy guys integrated into the gameplan from the start. Cleveland is too athletic for our geezers.
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

What stupid coaching. Two centers makes us too slow. So he goes to three centers in the game. Thats right, a front line of Sheed, Dyess, and Kwame. And very predictably, the Cavs shoot from the outside knowing we can never recover to the shooter. Totally, ugly, preposterous basketball. And the national announcers are making total fun of us. Dumars should hang his head in shame for putting this product out there. And believe me, the coach is the worst part of it all.

If not going to big, Curry goes too small. He basically avoids ever putting any thing that has half a chance to work out there. Of course, we were doing pretty darn well in the 4th quarter. Wow, Cleveland gets one bucket and several free throws in around a nine minute stretch. We got the lead back down to 7, with lots and lots of time left. So in comes the slowest player we got in Dyess. Dyess did get some bounds. But what about the defensive rotation that was making Cleveland cough up the ball so much they were not getting any shots up at all? That died when Dyess came in. And we really don't need his pansy outside shooting game either. Unless he makes nearly all of those, it hurts the team. Dyess did go inside some in this game. But still not enough. And he by no means did anything so special that he gets to replace Amir who was literally everywhere on defensive rotations. Combine Amir's activity with JMAX, plus a fine defensive duo in Afflalo and Bynum, wow, what defensive rotations. Herrmann did contribute by knocking down that 3, and he was ok guarding Wally Z in that stretch. At most, when Bron came back in, maybe Tay should have come back in to replace Herrmann for defense. That would have added speed to an already very quick unit.

Lets say Big Z actually caused a problem for us. He did not. But if he did, then you bring in a center to address him. As it was, Big Z did no damage, so no change in our front line was called for. Did Curry bring Dyess in to shoot the pansy outside shots? Probably. Cause he is afterall the most clueless coach of all time. Or worse.

Maybe you replace Bynum with Stuckey for a moment. Keep the speed up, give Bynum a quick rest - before putting him right back in a moment later. But no way you drop the team speed to a snails pace by bringing in Dyess for no reason whatsoever.

Ok, so lets describe the Pistons offense thru 3 quarters. Occasionally, Rip would hit a jumper. Which never gets him to the line. Stuckey did go in some, but again probably attempted to impersonate Billups a bit too much, missing way too many outside shots.

Sheed managed to connect on 2 threes and one other outside shot. And nothing posting up on several attempts. His leg is hurting, he has no lift from it, his post game is terrible at the moment.

Tay just missed several shots. He was given easier defensive tasks, as he is too injured (back) to even begin to guard Bron. Note, that is one thing for sure Rip provided, half way decent defense on Bron for a lot of the game. Tay did fine on his easier tasks. He would have helped us more if he had never took a shot from the outside - since he can't make them. If he is this injured next game, no outside shots.

Kwame, not much. Bad hands night.

JMAX and Amir, and Afflalo, and Bynum. Tremendous defensive rotation in the 4th quarter. Wherever the ball went, a Piston was right there on the spot, now, no delay, never a step late. Herrmann was doing the simple task of following Wally Z around, and it all worked out just fine. Bynum was hitting some shots from the outside, and getting inside too.

On that note, it seemed Stuckey had the right idea for a while, getting into the lane and making short jumpers. That worked, but he needs to keep doing that.

Lot of turnovers. Should Bynum start. Maybe. He does seem to have a pretty decent handle on the ball. If spelled by Stuckey now and then to keep him fresh, he just might help us win this next game.

But the next game. Well, what will Curry do. He is such a lousy coach, he will probably look at the film and decide his team needs to get bigger, and start Kwame at point and go up from there. Nope. He won't change anything. He will start the game with guys too slow to cover the defensive rotations. He will continue the nonsense by bringing in Kwame as the first big man sub. What a shame. A coach not even capable of learning a single thing from game to game.

Now that I got some anger out. What else can I think of about what happened. Hmmm. Rip threw the ball away way too much. Our big unit, featuring no point guard, Tay, Rip, Sheed, Dyess, Kwame, was particularly horrid at handling the ball. It seemed to me that Curry was making a concentrated effort not to play Afflalo at that point. Who did not enter the game until 4 minutes into the 2nd quarter. Curry still has no clue about which of his players win games for him. After the big big big ball stupidity, he paired up Stuckey and Bynum in the backcourt, forgetting that its Afflalo who shores up his perimeter D. Stuckey plays some pretty weak, amateurish D. If I was the coach, he would not be allowed to play until he at least learns to keep a hand up to bother while defending.
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Dyess and Rip were 1-6 after they were injected in the 4th quarter. All 6 shots were long jumpers. Maybe 1 was just inside college 3-point range.

Max, Amir, and Fabio were 3-3 with 1 shot attempt a piece. And the rest was the Will Bynum, who was 4-11 I believe.

The Jump shot report:
    RH 5-12 (.458 eFG)
    Bynum 4-9 (.444)
    Dyess 2-7 (.286)
    Tay 0-4 (.000)
    Sheed 3-6 (.667)
    Stuckey 2-10 (.200)
    Herrmann 1-1 (1.500)
    Afflalo 1-4 (.375)
    Maxiell 0-1 (.000)

Overall, another weak effort by our big men in terms of drawing contact. Sheed, Dyess, Kwame, Max, and Amir made a combined 3 free throws in 100 minutes of court time. Lebron would average that many in 8 minutes.
  18. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

That is the game summary right there. These guys will never get to the line shooting jumpers or not shooting at all....and..... we will not win.....
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Lebron actually had 3 free throws in one trip to the line (after Amir tackled him). So that matched the output of over 1,000 lbs of Pistons beef tonight.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

We are all witness. LeBron got roughed up tonight and with a 2-0 lead in the bag packed it in. He and the Cavs do not want to win the next 2 games, they want the Pistons to lose them.

Who wants to do the dirty work and get your face messed up when there are commercials to be filmed? This thing ain't over by a long shot!