At Chicago Nov 8 8PM

Discussion in 'November 2007' started by max, Nov 5, 2007.

1. max

max All-Star

Tough loss. Starters have been playing more mins than last season. Nothing has changed except for the addition of Hayes so far.
  2. Asterix

Asterix Second Round Draft Pick

Couldn't agree more. Defenses have adjusted to Rip coming off curls but nobody can stop Tayshaun, who creates and scores from anywhere on the floor. Its time to give Prince his moment to shine (memo to Billups). Of course its only 4 games so far, but Detroit doesn't look as strong or focused as Boston. Has anyone seen the Celtics play lately? They are uptempo and fun to watch...a Detroit-Boston playoff rivalry would be sweet.
  3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree with you here *, those guys have been playing together for less than 5 weeks and they are already gelling and we have starters who have played together for 5 years and still look out of sync as they could even not put away a subpar team in crunch time. Three winless teams tried to get their first victory tonight..how come the Bulls were the only team to breakthrough??

Also we did have that the Celtic-Piston rivalry from 86-88, before it turned into a Bulls-Piston rivalry.
  4. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Forwards with hoops always seem to have great game versus the Pistons- it's like our frontcourt simply isn't able to handle explosive young PF's
  5. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Are we back to win at all costs scenario? Yes, the bench stunk it up, but the only way they get better if they play through the problems. I thought that Flip was ready to sacrifice wins to play the reserves? Afflalo with only a couple of minutes, Amir didn't make it on the court at all. I am not upset at a loss as much as what's transpired with minutes and bench not getting enough playing time to develop any cohesiveness.
  6. LA Dre

Great post FP22, the Pistons are consistently inconsistent....what I mean is they spent most of the first half taking jumpers & finishing with only 8 points in the paint by halftime. They continued the jumper assault in the third by expanding out beyond the three point line where they canned 4 of the their 3 pointers. In the 4th quarter as you indicated everybody wanted to post up and by the time they got to crunch time, it appeared that nobody wanted or could get off a short jumper. No imagination on the offense that I could see down the stretch. One acrobatic shot by the Rip is all we got the last 3 minutes as we could not overcome the futility of the Bulls.
  7. buddahfan

buddahfan Retired from Forum

I don't think I have cooled down yet.

This loss is probably the toughest regular season loss that I can remember.

This game never should have been lost for a lot of reasons. Its one thing to lose the game which is bad enough, but for these idiots in the general sports media to plaster the headlines with the Chicago win is just too much especially when we should have won this game for a lot of reasons

As everyone knows I have been a lot easier on Flip than the majority on this board, for a number of reasons. But no more after tonight.

Saunders blew this game. He cost us this game. There is no two ways about it.

We kept going to Hamilton because Gordon supposedly is a lousy defender. Well he may in fact be, but we spent the whole friggen night shooting way too many jump shots.

We have played one good game out of four. We have been lucky to have three wins right now.

Murray and Nazr have to go.

But in the end what will make or break Saunders will be AJ.

AJ has waited now into his third year to get on the court during meaningful minutes and Saunders refuses to play him. 95%. Guys play when they are a lot less than 95%.

Then to get beat by a guy named Thomas. That is just too much. Thomas killed us in the first half with his athleticism. Yes Saunders made some adjustments in the second half but they still wiped our faces in the mud of offensive rebounding. It was a frigging disaster and all the time our best rebounder who is healthy sits on the bench.

After tonight I am convinced it will be Saunders and AJ either staying or going.

AJ can save Saunders job if Saunders doesn't delay much longer and starts playing him. But if Saunders messes AJ's head up by not playing him and AJ wants out, I have a feeling that it will be Saunders who will get the boot. Dumars is not going to let this abuse by Saunders continue.

My guess is that AJ will get some minutes tomorrow because the Clippers game is televised back to L.A. But I don't expect him to get more than 5 at the most.

On the road trip other than in the L.A. game I don't expect he will get more than 15 minutes total in the other 4 road games on the trip. Against the Lakers Flip will play him because the game is in L.A. I think AJ will get some decent burn in that game. After that it will probably revert back to how it has been for the last 2 years plus, unless Dumars gives Saunders an ultimatum regarding playing AJ.

This post does not make me feel any better.

:hoops:
  8. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This may not have been Rip's best game, bit his D was awesome. He totally shut down Tay. I don't think the L has cuaght up to him coming off of screens. I think they don't run him off of them anymore.

Speaking of Tay (aka The Leader 1a), he made up for his offensive sleepwalk with 5 monster boards. Leader # 1, CB the powerful PG, hauled in 3.

All the starters played more than 35 minutes. Losses wouldn't bother me if I thought this group would be fresh going into the playoffs. In the big picture a November 8th win over CHI is pretty insignifigant. I guess I just need to wait for the rookie who has never played his slated position to solve the minutes problem.
  9. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The problem for us tonight was that this was a playoff style game. The Bulls were playing really hard. They were rebounding like their lives depended on it, and they were very active defensively.

They had a lot more movement on offense and it created offensive rebounding opportunities. We were exploiting so called mismatches, but weren't getting anything easy at all.

And Joe Smith really put some hurt on us for a stretch there when we needed them to miss.

Good wake up call to Flip that we have long-term problems to address.

I would have liked to see Maxiell finish the game instead of Dyess. JMax was doing some damage toward the end.
  10. LA Dre

As I indicated in the chat room during the game, Amir=Darko until we actually see him play in the first half and play for more than 8 mins. I know he may still have a bum ankle, but so did Rip and he's playing (out of control) as if he was never hurt.

Flip sr is digging his grave fast. I know a GM is not going to say anything in the middle of a game, but I hope Joe was sitting next to Flip on Roundball 1 ? giving him a piece of his mind tonight.

If Thomas can start as a second year man and be all over the floor flaunting his athleticism , then we should be able to counter with at least 10-15 mins of both AJ and J-Max. Agree buddha...this should have been an easy win for the Pistons who couldn't even take advantage of winded Bulls team who themselves couldn't score a bucket for over 4 minutes in crunch time....:yellowprison:
  11. Ozarkruffrider

Ozarkruffrider First Round Draft Pick

I told Mahorn on Sirius that I was worried about losing this one. Take just 4 or 5 Offensive Rebounds away from them and it's a win.
  12. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

so many good, insightful posts about the game last night. so much more creative thinking among the fans here than we are seeing from the coaching staff or players. so kudos to you all. i think most of what i have to say just recapitulates others' points and i'll probably overstate things and get some things wrong.

i'm now convinced that rip should come off the bench. i think the four starters have played together for so long that they are in a rut and flip s doesn't have the guts to shake anything up. tay is a far more creative and versatile and so dangerous scoring threat than rip and because of that everything opens up for others when tay is the scoring option.

major props to sheed for taking his game inside. he showed last night what a monstrous talent he is. sure he missed a couple of those post-ups at the end, but we wouldn't have even been close without his beastly game last night. and if there is a money play for the pistons right now it is sheed on the block. tay, sheed, and chauncey -- in that order. rip come off the bench and get starters minutes but give him a different function.

dyess, don't get me started. jmax or aj should be starting there and then, fine give dyess and whichever of jmax and aj aren't starting the back up minutes. its infuriating to watch dudes like thomas bouncing around like pogo sticks while we watch put backs, back doors, and pick and roll cut dunks and lay ups.

if boston looks so good it's partly because they haven't been playing together so long maybe. there's a zen saying: in the beginner's mind there are many possibilities, in the expert's there are few. it's a caution against the narrow thinking that can come from experience. kg, allen and pierce: everything is new, everythign is possible, they are really gorgeous to watch because it is all inventive. the pistons: everything is predictable right now. but it doesn't have to be. they have four major offensive threats, they just need to open their minds and start exploring other ways to exploit those threats; other functions for their guys (e.g. tay as a first option, sheed, like last night, mixing up the post-ups with the spot-ups; rip coming off the bench maybe for some instant offense).
  13. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

kinda glad i didn't watch much of the game, although i taped it and will watch it later. sounds like everyone pretty much covered it though. leave it to the pistons to give the bulls life and confidence, rather than go into their building and make them 0-5 on the year.

against a guy like thomas i think it's clear that AJ could help more than JMax in fighting for boards and going athlete vs. athlete. hopefully he gets burn tomorrow night against the extremely slow clippers frontcourt, especially with sheed playing so many minutes last night.
  14. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

We don't need to change the starters or Rip comin off the bench. Have not read the 'Rotations' thread yet but maybe we should try subbing either CBill or Rip after 6 minutes of the 1st quarter. Think we should try changing the rotations pattern first then makin changes to the starting line up. 2 of our starters should be playing with the 2nd unit. Until Hot Rod plays, our PG should be CBill and Tay at all times. I don't see any harm in trying the substitution pattern before makin any drastic changes to the starting line up.

Agreed with you on the Mavs makin JT comin off the bench. This guy sure is lightning them up recently. 20+ points average with top 10 in FG% and 3FG%. Maybe Rip could shoot better percentages if he can plays with the 2nd unit more. Doesn't mean that Rip should come off the bench but he could sub out much earlier in the 1st quarter than playing the entire 1st quarter.

Well, once again, it's down to our 'Genius' coach to do all the necessary adjustments.
  15. mikhail1973

ESPN - Daily Dime: The Bulls get on the board - NBA
  16. LA Dre

Good summary insight to all previous posts professor. As I posted earlier, Rip to the bench as the six man would make the most since here, but Joe will have to take that decision out of Flips hands and make the call. Anybody got his e-mail adress so we can send him a message via his Blackberry? Nothing will change lineup wise until the Pistons come back from the west coast trip. If we are 3 and 7 then, well the most obvious change should be Flip Sr being benched permanently:nod:
  17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Flip Murray is great against garbage teams and not so good in playoff type games.

So, just play him against easy opponents to steal wins without taxing Chauncey as much.

If a deal comes along, great. But no need to give him away.

And again, if Billups gets injured and has to miss a month or more in the regular season, Murray will be a huge asset. Otherwise we'd be looking at a rookie starter with Hunter as the primary backup.

I'm still a little stressed out over that game. I felt like we were terrorized on the boards and loose balls.

However, with Ben Wallace + Tyrus Thomas + Joakim Noah, that should be the Bulls' strength.

What should not have happened was all the scoring in the paint by them.
  18. mikhail1973

19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

(not blaming Flip) but it's not like those were unforced turnovers. The Bulls were very reachy and pokey. Our bench looked like they were in shock at the aggressiveness.
  20. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

If you get a chance, watch the replay of the last shot that Rip took. Chris Duhon boxes Tay out and completely dominates him. Tay gets pushed around like a girl.