At Chicago Jan 6 8:30PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by max, Dec 9, 2006.

1. detteam

detteam All-Star

Oddly enough, the point differential last night.

Flip Jr: better be gone come the trade deadline
    Lindsey: love the guy for his D, but older-than-dirt...injuries are proving that
    Blalock: not a backup for a few years, if ever...I think he'd lose a game of HORSE against Ben

We have a glaring backup PG problem.
  2. Winless Wonders

Winless Wonders Starter Forum Donor

I have refrained from judgement on Blaylock until now. I don't think this kid can play in the NBA. He is impatient, can't drive to the basket effectively and is wild.. see passes going into the 5th row of the crowd last night. He is a rookie so I have to pause and not be totally hard on him but we jettisoned Smush Parker out of here last year and he was looking very promising and looked a whole lot better than both Blaylock and Flip Jr. :nerd2: So I am truely scratching my head.

Flip Jr. is not a point guard and is just as bad as Blaylock if not worse. I give Blaylock a little slack because he is a rookie being asked to perhaps fill a role he is not ready for. However, the Flipper is a different story. I expect this guy to atleast be able to put up decent numbers with starter mins. I think 10 to 12 pts and 5 or 6 assists a game is not too much to ask for. Perhaps he looked good only because he played with Lebron and so much attention was being paid to him that Flipper was able to score.
  3. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

We kicked Smush out two seasons ago. He latched onto the Suns and they cut him as well.

Missing in all of this is holding onto an aging Lindsey Hunter and his foot injury has really compromised our depth.
  4. Winless Wonders

You are right on both accounts. Boy time sure does fly.

Holding on to Hunter has been a liabilty because of his injuries and the time it takes for him to recover. I think Joe D. resisted bringing in a sure thing as a backup PG in order to make sure he could get Hunter a roster spot and guranteed playing time.
  5. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

I got ya. Lesser of two evils. Neither are looking like they are ready to contribute to winning at the NBA level yet though.
  6. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Tell me about it. I'm still thinking Memo is on this team!

The crazy thing is, we have a lot of incoming youth, and possibly Acker, as well as Amir who cannot be sent down next year. Hunter is under contract next season as well.

Yeah, that is what I am saying. It's like picking one of the last two guys on the playground. Blalock doesn't look like he can help you win, but he also might not make you lose.
  7. detteam

detteam All-Star

Not missing at all. Joe may be hanging on to him for sentimental reasons (reminds him a little of himself) and for the cheapness of his contract.
  8. Winless Wonders

Hunter wants to retire a Piston and already has a gig lined up as Joe D's assistant when he hangs them up. I think their friendship is clouding his judgement a bit. I think it would be best if Joe D asks Hunter to retire when the season is up. It is more likely they cut Hunter buyout his last year and then he retires.
  9. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

i think hunter retires after this season regardless
  10. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I was curious how you guys would spin this slaughter on Michigan Ave.

FOX Sports - Sports News, Standings, Stats and more";
    Pistons 89 at Bulls 106

[​IMG]Detroit Pistons
    Team Rebounds: 15Technicals: 2 Players: Wallace (1) , Hamilton (1) Ejections: 0
    DQ's: 0Points off turnovers: 13Team Turnovers: 0Fast Break Points: 10
    Points in the Paint: 38Biggest Lead: 1DNP: Dale Davis (coach's decision) , Chauncey Billups (inactive) , Lindsey Hunter (inactive)

[​IMG]Chicago Bulls
    (.412)12344628791525106Team Rebounds: 11Technicals: 0Ejections: 0DQ's: 0
    Points off turnovers: 17Team Turnovers: 1Fast Break Points: 11
    Points in the Paint: 28Biggest Lead: 23
    DNP: Malik Allen (coach's decision) , Martynas Andriuskevicius (inactive) , Andre Barrett (inactive) , Viktor Khryapa (inactive)

Officials: Tony Brothers, Scott Foster, David Guthrie
    Attendance: 22865
    Time of game: 2:16

Statistical Information provided by: [​IMG]
    It looks like, if our guards aren't carrying the game we don't have others to pick up the slack. As of right now we are one dimemsional and predictable.
    Anyone for Fino running the Point while CB is away?
    The fowards and center need to develope a little soft-shoe razzle-dazzle. Nazz got 15 in 20 minutes, I like that kind of productivity.
    Let's not get too carried away we lost to a healthier team. Plenty of time to get it together, the East is a mess.
  11. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

That is the worst post of all-time.

I take it back.
  12. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

LOW-cap

Well gents...I needed to digest this one a second time to give you my full thoughts. Enjoy:

----------

Points of interest:

- Some of my Biggest Big Ben opponents have decided to forgo chat tonight. Shame.

1st Qtr

Team starts off fouling and getting T’d up, however, Sheed defending well to start the game. Flip Murray running the offense more or less is forcing everyone to play one on one and stand around. This isn't going to be very productive if it continues.

NOTE:
    --CHI announcers calling heinrich “Captain Kirk”
    --CHI announcers pointing out that Sheed likes to shoot the 3 a little too much.

Bull, are shooting very well to start the game and the Pistons are routinely late getting out on open shooters. Through the 1st, the bulls are methodically pushing up the lead.

The Bulls appear to have purpose to their offensive sets while DET looks like they are “hoping” to get something to go…Deng and Nocioni torching DET.

Ben KILLS one of Tay’s shots and Detroit starting to get outhustled. Later in the qtr the Pistons are still late on deep shooters even though they are blocking shots in the lane this qtr very well.

Pistons end the qtr down by 4.

--

2nd Qtr

Det starts the qtr with Nocioni and Deng banging them up again….down 8…instant time-out.

Slow action in the 2nd - this qtr is pretty dry for action.

Pistons have 8 blks as a team at the 7 Min. mark, but has no answer for Deng tonight. The are also not getting much out of their offense, but Maxiell seems to be hustling well…they are trading points at this state (not buckets).

Murray showing his worth…or lack thereof.

Luol Deng has 20 by halftime and the Bull have pretty much led by 5 or more most of the half. Never mind the fact that the Bulls are starting to get what they want against the Pistons D

Gordon nails a ridiculous 3 near the end of the half…insane.

Pistons end the half down by 9

--

3rd Qtr

Theme of the night:
    Nocioni and Deng torching the Pistons.

These two guys start the 3rd with buckets (3).

Nazr is hitting some shots tonight, but not really affecting the game.

Ben Wallace is playing his usual game…getting rebounds, blocks, and scoring a bit in the paint. (Resembling his performances during the LB era). Recurring theme as well: the Pistons can foul Deng, but can’t stop him from doing anything.

Pistons go down 14 at the 8:50 mark and are STILL getting back late on open 3 shooters. In the 3rd, Flip Murray is still producing nothing of consequence.

Ben Wallace nails a fade away in the paint.

Ben Wallace nails a second fade away in the paint.

Deng draws another foul after a fruitless Pistons possession. CHI’s offensive execution just seems a lot more crisp and DET is just left to foul at the end of some of these plays. Good thing is, Maxiell is making a solid effort to crash the boards. Hamilton gets T’d up at the 3 min mark….”Detroit Sucks” chant breaks out. Later in the qtr, Hamilton and Heinrich are getting tangled repeated with Heinrich getting the short end of these whistles.

Some back and forth late in the qtr.

--CHI announcers claim Maxiell isn’t a “high” flyer

Pistons effectively getting nothing out of their offense and promptly end the qtr down 18.

--

4th qtr

Good news is...it's finally the 4th qtr....Bad news is: Delfino fouls Gordon on a made 3 to start the qtr. Deng and Nocioni enjoy a vacation on the bench to start the 4th. P.J. Brown is having a horrible night and still...Murray is accomplishing NOTHING.

Murray decides to finger roll against Ben Wallace….wrong answer.

At the 8:12 mark…Flip Murray is useless.

Ben Wallace nails a third fade away (it’s a good thing Saunders didn’t give him the ball in Det, he would have ruined us). At the 7:12 mark…Ben Wallace just picks up his 2nd foul (which I believe would be a fantasy for Nazr).

Murray nearly decapitates Ben Wallace with a missed 3 (which I'm quite sure was retaliation for the previous humiliation).

Amir Johnson checks in and Det has “waived the flag” at the 5:43 mark.

There’s some extended garbage time here at the end.

Amir gets a block...a welcome back to the NBDL going away present.

Deng hits the 30 pt mark and daggers the Pistons for good at the 3:18 mark with a 3.

This is now a time killer

Pistons finally give up the ghost 89 – 106.

12 pts 14 rb 6 blks for Ben Wallace :afro:

Holla.
  13. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I second that emotion
  14. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Just a couple other observations from being at the United Center.

Will Blalock did in fact dunk during warm-ups.

Nocioni came out about 5 minutes before any other players during halftime and worked with his shooting coach on college 3-pointer length shots. At the end of the session he seemed to be calibrated. The Bulls started the second half by getting him 2 shots right in that range that he nailed.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

TaS, what did I tell you about attacking my post before they're dry?
    [It's still a bad post]
  16. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Just how bad was Blalock in this game? Did you see how he dug in on defense? Blalock was plus 4 for the game. Flip Murray was minus 21.

What you remember most was that last little bit for Blalock. Blalock came in with us down 16 already. A lot of pressure. We slipped about 4 points worth and Flip yanked him out of the game. Bad move by Flip. Sure, take him out for a minute or so, calm him down, send him right back in. Let him know the D is appreciated. Calm down, play smart, still a whole quarter of basketball to go. Of course, this would entail having a coach worth 2 cents. No way is putting Flip Murray back in any kind of attempt at winning the game.
  17. detteam

detteam All-Star

Low...thanks for the replay. 3rd qtr made me a little nostalgic of the mid range fades Ben pulled off in the ECF 2005 when he had a coach that encouraged him on the O.
  18. lapeapod

lapeapod First Round Draft Pick

The most discouraging thing about last night's game was the absence of a run to make the Bulls sweat a little. They had just come off a tough loss against New Jersey the night before and were ripe for the picking. The Pistons sometimes play like they can crank up a hypergear and just coast to a win. Last year they played like that and it worked to a certain degree until the playoffs. Other than Flip Murray (who really wasn't responsible for the loss) I like this team. Nazr isn't making me forget Ben Wallace but the Ben of last year in the playoffs was our future and it didn't look pretty. There's no team out there that's got everything they want and Phoenix/Dallas will get the injury bug visiting them and at least Joe D. is not afraid to make a trade. I just want Chauncey to get healed and not come back too soon and Flip needs to keep playing the bench and I just feel he doesn't like Fino for whatever reason. Probably because his hand picked bench player Mo was shipped off to open minutes for Delfino so there's still some resentment there. When did Deng get so dang good? He is their Tay and I was really impressed with him last night. Ben Gordon was also hitting some unbelieveable shots with defenders on him so he's pretty amazing when his game is on. Why doesn't Flip take a page from Chicago's book (and even San Antonio's) and let Rip come off the bench and scorch the other team with his sharp shooting? Let Delfino start and Rip will get his 30-35 minutes without being worn down to a nub.
  19. max

max All-Star

Thats funny - Yes if it were fantasy ball.

Seems like digging up a point somewhere who is not signed would be better than what we have. With the old CBA you could always find someone to try out on a 10 day contract.
  20. ggazoo69

ggazoo69 Team Captain Forum Donor

First off, I didn't see the game. I was watching UT women beat up on my beloved UConn women in Hartford. But I will say I predicted a Bulls win earlier in this thread. I think the Pistons even lose with Chauncey playing. The Bulls have a coach with a fiery spirit. They have a personality. We have a coach who has the personality of Play-Doh. Saunders' idea of toughness is withstanding a case of adult diaper rash for a day or two. And our personality and heart left for Chicago and a better deal. That being said, I still think its a dogfight between Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit. I don't think LeBron has the supporting cast so it will come down, ultimately, to Chicago and Detroit. The rivaly is renewed! And it's gonna get NASTY!