At Chicago Jan 6 8:30PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by max, Dec 9, 2006.

1. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

OK, now that I have had time to ponder what happened tonight, I feel like all my fears were realized.

We just went up against a team that played like it was the playoffs... and we got smoked. They were more aggressive, more disciplined, and more effective. They took good shots and we took low percentage contested shots. Rip scored a lot of points, but it was only because he took a lot of shots. He was forcing it.

Ben had a massive game. 12 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 steals, and 6 blocks! You have to be kidding. That is probably one of his top 10 all around statistical games in his career.

If nothing else, I hope his performance hits home with Flip Saunders, and teaches him the meaning of toughness and what it can do in a game of basketball. Respect it Flip. Play Davis and Maxiell instead of Nazr and Murray. Drop your stupid notion that a fat playbook will win the Ship.

Will Blalock's shooting percentage dropped to .187 on the season. 0 points, 0 assists, 0 steals tonight??? What the heck is he doing out there? (and yes, Flip Murray was much, much, much worse).

Maxiell was our 3rd highest scorer in only 19 minutes.

I'm so frustrated with Saunders right now, I can't believe it.

2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One other note before I nap.

There were a TON of Pistons fans at the game tonight. I would estimate 20% of the crowd. And I actually saw a Mohammed jersey, which casts doubt on my claim that he is nobody's favorite player.

Oh, and I almost forgot. When I went out for a beer at halftime, I ran into Ronnie Nunn. He was just walking through the building like anyone else and nobody seemed to recognize him. I just said "Hi Ron" as I approached him and he gave me a strange look. He seemed taller in person and was probably about 6'3".

3. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Please stop saying "Blalock..brought us back to within one point".

That is just ridiculous. If he did, please explain why as opposed to he was out on the court when the Pistons made a run.

"Tay hit some shots"

I would say a little bit less than some. He missed damn near everything. Even at the strike.

4. MotownPride

Blalock did what? Huh, what game are you watching? Outside of being on the court when they went on a run what was his contribution? Did he actually stop his man? If Nazr was on the floor during a run, would you say he brought the Pistons back or that they could have done better with him out. Be fair, Mr. Lee.

You missed an analysis for Tay. To say he made some shots is definitely a positive spin on the reality that he damn near missed EVERYTHING he threw up. He was even less impressive from the free throw line.

Outside of that, I thought your review was pretty good.

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Thanks ahb.

Obviously Ben does not.

That's it in a nutshell.

6. roscoe36

Lee, thanks for the recap.

7. roscoe36

This goes back to what I said last year as I bounced on and off his bandwagon.

What exactly does he do well?

Is he a great teacher? Motivator? Organizer? Strategist? Leader?

When we win, our players play well. When we lose, our players struggle. It seems, since the initial rush of the 2005/6 season, when we struggle, there is no one to take us on their back and carry us, lead and direct us to a win. We just struggle and struggle hoping the other team lets up a bit so we have a chance.

8. roscoe36

Until we sink within a game or two of .500, I don't see Joe panicking. It's not just his desire to make a move, the other GMs don't start to get serious until late January.

9. TWOTIMESRALPHI

TWOTIMESRALPHI Team Captain 3x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

I say sit Sheed down a couple of games, let JMax start. If he's still got any pride within himself, he'll get the message and start playing basketball again.
    What he's shown the last couple of games is simply a joke. He may be good for the team chemistry and is nice when hot from 3pt land, but his non- presence inside is not acceptable. Sometimes this team consists of 4 guards and Nazr. How weak is that?
    Ben delivered his message last night. Still, he isn't his old self. His old self would have grabbed about 20 boards against this bunch of guards.
    The Bulls look alot like the Pistons from 2004- many jump shooting guards or SF's and Ben. Still, I don't think they're contender material. Just a sort of feeling.

10. detteam

detteam All-Star

Yeah...crappy game all around with no bright spot, but I just don't understand the DNP for Davis.

11. roscoe36

Coaches post game press scrimmages.

Flip Saunders and Scott Skiles

nJoy!

Attached Files:

12. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Adding Amir Johnson to the mix would be a major infusion of speed for our defense. Sitting Mohammed would remove the slowest defender we have. On offense, starting Amir would give us a post up player in our starting unit, something Mohammed gives us none of.

13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

My thoughts excatly Merc.

It is very frustrating to see the Bulls whip the ball around and almost let all five players touch the ball before putting up a shot. Didn`t Detroit use to do that?

When the Pistons go into their offense, each player who recieves the ball (if they recieve it) holds it for 3 or 4 seconds and at most forces a shot.

Is this the offense that Flip wants to play? If it is he should be fired immediately.

The defensive issues and the infusion of quickness, oh well.......

14. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Last we heard he had the flu. Being older, he may be taking a little more time to get over it. He was dressed for this game.

15. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

Bulls are a jump shooting team on offense and play agressively on 'D'. Doesn't that remind all of us here a team couple of years ago and brought them a championship? However, a twitching coach took over the team and act as if he is a genie who twitch at any time and turn this team into a scoring machine. This game proofs that Defense always wins in the NBA. With our new look offense, we can't even beat our 'mirror image' team. The score was not even close, for heaven's sake.

Rip was playing 'ok' until the 3rd quarter where he was forcing shots. Why did he force all the shots? That's because the whole team sucks and he has to carry the offense and because Flip refuse to sub the starters til the we were down like 15 points.

I remembered someone was saying Flip Murray needs to be a starter to be effective. Well, it has been 3 games now since he started for this team and his game seems to get worsen by each game. And he still has to average at least 30 minutes a game. I'm still wondering why and how can this happen.

Where is Dale Davis? What happen to the 'Goon Squad' who was kicking %%%%% when they were playing?

Out of the 12 losses, I would say 10 losses are on the coach.

16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

Nazr is from Chicago, so that may very well have been one of his friends or relatives.

17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Alas, the Pistons were -17 with a point guard on the floor.

18. roscoe36

PopcornMachine's GameFlow - Detroit @ Chicago

Blalock was +1 in non-garbage time.

Flip Murray was MINUS in all his stints.

I know that folks are frustrated with Will's total lack of production statistically, but he's truly holding his own during court time. Perhaps less is more? Are we looking at a White Elephant with Murray?

19. MotownPride

Simply because the team isn't in the negative while he's out there? I don't think I will ever understand that arguement.

20. roscoe36

Well that's my point Motown. If he isn't hurting the team, and Murray is putting up more stats but the unit loses it's floor time matchups, which guy would you rather have?

Flip Saunders thinking is that he wants a scorer, a shot maker. Doesn't matter if he makes bonehead plays, doesn't matter if he doesn't defend or rebound.