1. Football Picks Survivor is done for 2014. Congrats to billlaimbeer from The Pistons Forum

at Chicago Bulls Monday January 11 8:00 pm

Discussion in 'January 2010' started by roscoe36, Nov 3, 2009.

1. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

They may not show it, but owners will get wind of this lack of communication.

You can bet JD is dreading this reaction. He does not come off too well in interviews. Best get rehearsing JD.

2. pass99

No...this team is not tanking.

3. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

The team as it is currently constructed is not going to survive the ASG, unless the possibility of the tank is in full effect.

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Yes, its all about effort. The effort we are not getting from the coach.

Before the bad, hey, there was some good tonight. Thru 1 quarter and 3 minutes, we were doing just fine. Down 6 points. No big deal. Wilcox had started and we actually got the ball to him in the post a few times. Pretty miraculous considering how badly Rip wants to shoot jumpers vs. feeding the post. And gee, since Q had coached well the last half of the last game, I thought that just maybe he had gained some common sense. Fooled me.

In comes Atkins, a guy who can't play NBA ball. In no time at all (perhaps 2 minutes) we are 15 down and Q comes to his senses and pulls Atkins out of the game. However, like Q said in his interview, the wind got knocked out of the sails for the Pistons in that 3rd quarter. What he failed to say, is that his decision to let Atkins play is what specifically sunk the ship.

Q even went big, with Daye at shooting guard. Total common sense when your guards are all playing injured. But despite Daye nailing 4 of 4 from the line - he gets pulled out of the game.

Now, let me try to explain just how bad a coaching job Q did tonight when he went to a three guard unit. Gordon can play backup point - but he has a groin injury and did not manage to finish this game. Stuckey, his starting point, is coming off ankle and knee injuries. So you would think a coach might try to use each sparingly, and restrict their play to just playing point. After all, Rip and Daye can easily cover the shooting guard minutes, while Summers and JJ were healthy and could certainly cover the small forward minutes. But beyound belief, he went to a three guard unit, with Gordon playing shooting guard. Nuts.

Other silly stuff. JMAX again goes from starter to forgotten man the next game. Again, no middle ground for the Kuemeister. Now, Atkins playing is bad, but combining Wilcox and CV for a pair of bigs is a terrible coaching decision that not even a single person who posts on this board would even consider trying. Worse, he stuck with it as the lead ballooned to 35. Talk about stubborn.

By the way, CV should not yet be playing. As long as we got healthy players who can play, CV should just concentrate on healing up his foot and forget basketball for a while. His defense, which in best case is suspect, is non-existent with the foot injury.

The best thing this team could do right now is sign another point guard. Anyone available. The guards we got are all injured or just can't play basketball.(in Atkins case.) Daye of course can play but since he is a rookie I am sure Kuester would not count him so why should I.

JJ was flirting with a double double in the first quarter. Never did get that 10th rebound though. He missed a few 3's tried. But I still want him to keep taking them, several per game, and do that for a while to see if he can get some confidence going.

All that talk about us running of course was just talk. Instead, we promote Wilcox to starting and do a bit of posting up. Good move, but they still don't got it right. Ben Wallace should be coming off the bench as an energy player. He is doing nothing but clogging the lane for Wilcox. Of note, Ben Wallace was pulled from the game just a few minutes into the 3rd quarter. (No reason why, except I guess Q wanted to see just how badly we would be slaughtered if he tried the Wilcox / CV combo. Hope he got that out of his system.)

Rip ain't back yet all the way, but he did connect on some jumpers. Too bad, since it seems if his jumpers are falling he then makes zero effort to get to the hoop. (though he did finish one fast break well at the hoop.)

Wilcox does have those good hands. And he added an excellent pass to Ben Wallace for an easy score. JJ also continues to show great capability to score around the basket if a pass is zinged into him.

In contrast, while Kwame did manage to score a couple of times tonight, more often he was simply hacked. And he was hacked for good reason, as he missed 5 of 6 free throws. Did I mention JMAX did not play in the rotation? And we gave up 120 points. Defense does count, and JMAX plays it.

No Bynum again. I sure hope he comes back for the next game, since it looks like Gordon needs to let his groin injury heal up. Unfortunately, if Bynum plays, you know the Qmeister will just use that as an excuse to play 3 guards, not in any way to help the team. (Sound familiar.)

Yeah, Q has shown signs of caring, but he shows more signs of wanting to play small ball. At any cost.

Oh yeah, today is now officially Monday the 13th.

5. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

I'm sure the sore ankle and banged up knee had nothing to do with him being completely ineffective out there..

And unless my eyes are deceiving me, Stuckey IS in shape. You don't get toned biceps like that by being lazy and not working out.

Honestly, Stuckey should take a few games off. He is NOT healthy. It's pretty frickin obvious.

6. pass99

It can be a tempting maneuver, but highly ill-advised. Jeb must learn the 4 position and he needs to get rightfully bounced around that position this year. He will need the important summer training over the next two years in order to play meaningful minutes on a consistent basis and solidify that position. Only way he will make it in the NBA.

He is a highly inconsistent player. One who needs the stability of leadership on a team. This team has no leaders. This is a soft spoken team and they can not play 4 quarters without showing it. Please don't think that BenW can bring this team around. His current voice is nothing more that the loudest squeak on the team.

7. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

I'm not saying he's lazy, and sorry your physique doesn't have alot to do with your conditioning. What I'm saying is that whoever worked him out over the summer had him doing the wrong things in order for him to maintain his stamina, I'm tellin ya he's not in shape, and by no means do I think it's because of any lack of effort or work on his part. He needs to call Tim Grover, different players who play different styles need different regimes that fit their particular body and style of play. Stuckey probably needs to work out with LeBron, both are bulky physical players that rely on speed and the strength to be effective.

8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Great Leecap, your coach kluelesster comments were priceless...and had me LMAO...and yearning for Flip of all people

I heard some comments from Joe during the game saying that we have to play in "desperation mode" ??? For awhile it seems like we were playing 4 on 6...as they always had a man open and every thing they threw up it went in...every loose ball they out hustled us to. Nope none of our players seem to be in desperation mode....:sssh:

Since we have not won a game since 12/12, I would officially call this 30 days of [strike]night[/strike] hell!

9. S.J.

S.J. All-Star Forum Donor

· Charlie Villanueva: 22 minutes - 4 points (1-10 FG) (0-3 3P) (2-2 FT) - 5 rebounds (all defensive rebounds) - 1 steal

:ohwell:

· Jonas Jerebko: 29 minutes - 15 points (6-14 FG) (0-3 3p) (3-4 FT) - 9 rebounds (5 Offensive rebounds) - 1 assist - 1 steal - 0 TO - 1 foul

:thumb: :hail:

· Rodney Stuckey: 30 minutes - 11 points (4-11 FG) - 5 asissts - 2 TO - 2 rebounds

:confused:

· Rip Hamilton: 32 minutes - 17 points (6-11 FG) (1-2 3p) (4-6 FT) - 4 assist - 2 TO.

:thumb:

Ben Gordon Injured.. Tay Injured.. Stuckey too (but playing.. not well but he at least is trying..)

I Think that the reason why Rodney Stuckey is playing is becouse there is no other guy who can play point (or be a PG just for 1 game) in our roster.

What About sign a D-League player (Point Guard of course) For 1 year and give him the chance to run the ball?

We have REALLY Nothing to lose.

10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm seeing a lot of effort, but we bad.

Jerebko was a bundle of energy, but he was not capable of guarding Deng. He's used to hanging around in the paint, not keeping track of his man on the perimeter.

Of course, we had nobody who could bother Rose either. And then you have the issue of Salmon ripping us a new one.

For me the highlight of the game was Kwame Brown karate chopping Brad Miller's neck and then listening to the Bulls announcers call him Edward Scissorhands for the rest of the game.

I really wish we didn't bother signing these FA's last year. What a waste of resources. On an injury plagued cellar dwelling team, they can't crack the starting lineup?

Our biggest challenge for the rest of the season is going to be finding a way to slip into the #1 lottery position. To undertake these teams, we are going to have to avoid winning altogether. Even the most pathetic victory could set us back a month.

11. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Good writeup yourself. In Q's comments, he mentioned all the wrong reasons for starting Wilcox. Nothing about trying to establish a post game, which would actually be a great reason to start Wilcox. Daye probably should have started ahead of Rip to give us another guy who actually wanted to feed the post. And JMAX would have given us just enough offense to compliment Wilcox's post game - while JMAX could crash the boards same as Big Ben of O boards and play some really good D, like Ben.

Big Ben coming off the bench would be great for defensive energy. Keep either of Big Ben or JMAX in the game at all times - but not both. Not unless you got a large lead at the end of a game and defense to that degree is called for.

So who then subs for Wilcox? Summers. He is healthy and strong enough to play the 4. Summers backing up both JJ and Wilcox would give him lots of time to get into the flow of the game. CV could be resting his foot, or off in the training room lightly working out to keep it stretched. Kwame, until he can make a free throw, should never play unless we think they can't afford to foul. (and that's a stretch.)

For tomorrow, I hope Bynum is ready to play. And I hope then coach has the common sense to start him - letting Stuckey just come in a bit here and there to spell him. Then you got Daye starting at shooting guard - until Rip gets himself back into shape. Rip can be a fine backup for the moment. Small forward - start JJ, with Summers backing him up. Summers backs up Wilcox. Big Ben backs up JMAX. We stay big the whole game - and win it.

12. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

That doesn't matter to me. As long as we've got one of the worst 5 records in the league (and we will), I'm good. The team with the worst record usually does not win the lottery. And as bad as we are I don't think the Nets can overtake us... can they?

13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Stuckey usually does not make shots. But if he could take a shot and it was for the #1 pick, I'd like our chances... unless it was a 3-pointer.

14. FreshPrince22

FreshPrince22 Bench Warmer

This team just does not know how to defend as a team. Whether it's just poor bball IQ or a bad system. Probably both. Rip was CONSTANTLY in no-mans land. Stuck could not get around screens (knee?). Charlie and Wilcox are useless trying to rotate defensively. They just don't play as a unit, and it's obvious when teams can make 1 pass without getting into the paint and be WIDE OPEN.

Obviously doesn't help when Chicago is on fire (Deng and Rose will shoot that well if they were not covered maybe 1 out of 30 games).

15. hitafreethrow

hitafreethrow Team Captain 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

If Deng and Rose are as open as they were last night, they will shoot that way 1 out of 2 games.

16. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The Pistons still have to play the Nets three times this season. The Nets currently have 3 wins compared to the Pistons 11.

17. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

That means we have to go 0-3 against the Nets to keep us from being mathmatically eliminated as the odds on favorite in the John Wall sweepstakes......this just keeps getting better and better.

18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

Do you really feel that our record conveys any sort of advantage? lol

19. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

Remember , the NBA uses a lottery so the worst record in the league is NOTHING to shoot for.

20. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

As one of the PISTON 'historians' in the Forum, I can say with evidence and knowledge, last night was the worst Piston performance I have ever seen.