At Chicago Bulls Feb. 10th, 8:30 PM

Discussion in 'February 2009' started by Dlev59, Feb 5, 2009.

1. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

seriously! and those are just the especially heartbreaking playoff games.

the actual escapegoat for this one should be our own DBA -- you know i love you statsprocket man, but (cue chat transcript please roscoe) when we got up 14 you distinctly typed: this is looking like a blow out. Nice. thanks for that.

and while we're at it why not blame the 75 unforced backcourt turnovers we had in the first half, when we were blowing our first quarter lead. why not note that the fact that the lead in the first place was pure puff so that the chicago comeback was all but inevitable: you really think we're going to hold onto a lead forged by sheed shooting the absolute lights out and rip going on a tear. those very same shots just weren't falling in the fourth and we had nowhere else to turn but a) stuckey driving into four defenders and b) tay dribbling at the top of the key.

i don't expect anyone else to get on board with me here, so i'm not saying it for the sake of argument, but rather just self-expression: the uglier we get the more I like the team (which doesn't mean that I wouldn't like us even more if we were dominating the entire league); but no more of this tantalizingly cool excellence that just sort of softly whisper stomps my heart at some point in may or june.

Now it's just this endlessly surprising unfolding of new forms of ugliness (sheed's wild three pointer with 12 left on the clock but, wait for it, you also get stuckey clubbing ben gordon on a three, which goes in, and then, still more, stuckey going down "injured"). the sheer glorious shame; destruction; a riveting montage of catastrophic disaster footage... pure abjection. i didn't know i had it in me. i'm being shattered and i think i like it. i like it. thank you pistons!

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

I'm not bringing him up to bring him up, it's a valid discussion point for what this team lacks; leadership and a PG. I even pointed out it's not Chancey as much as it's his position and that i don't even think he was the end all be all and that they shouldn't look this bad in the clutch.

In analyzing the team's struggles, you can't not look at that aspect especially since our PG of the future is having a very difficult time filling that role.

It's not even about Billups so much. It's about whatever this team has been missing in the 4th quarters. And that's direction. It has to be coming from somewhere and right now it's not coming from anywhere.

3. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Joe is cool...no need to look to replace him yet, unless Mr D wants to give both the GM and coaching job to Popovich.

He has givin us stuff to cheer about the last six years, it's just the end results have not been positive the last four years and even though there was no realistic hope this year, there was always a hope from some of us that we would get to the dance and surprise everyone as we did in 2004.

That hope and dream dies every time the team puts out a performance like tonight and it has been that way since the end of the phoney or phantom seven game winning streak at the beginning of the year that has kept us just above being an average .500 team.

As I said in the Podcast Sunday, I am not so certain that one of those 2010 FA sweepstakes guys will sign with us even if we have the most money to throw at them...I say if one of them is available trade now, you take your chances and offer one your guys now and stay competitive for the next couple of years and not fall in the tank for two seasons and wind up with a bunch of midlevel scrubs.

First move is to re-move the coach as it will only get worst and I can see us opening the playoffs in the 8th seed (behind the Nets, Sixers and Heat) and getting swept out in the first round..... something no one in this forum wants to see despite our shortcomings

4. NYPistonFan729

NYPistonFan729 Bench Warmer Forum Donor

I agree. The team has a lack of leadership. Stuckey probably would have been better to come off the bench another year. The game was lost about in the 3rd quarter when we had no subsitutions and it guaranteed an uneven 4th quarter. Dyess/Sheed cannot play for long stretches. Incredible.

5. HelloIDistance

HelloIDistance First Round Draft Pick

Man that was disappointing to say the least. Sheed...WHY??! Why did you shoot that horrible low percentage turn around 3 with 13 seconds on the shotclock..seriously man.

Another thing, why are people knocking on Rodney Stuckey's PG skills? He's basically played in one whole season now because he missed half of last year. You guys are being way to tough on him if your saying he's not a point guard already. I understand we all have high expectations for him, but let's be realistic.

Now I need to vent...

Curry is not a good coach. I had hoped for it and I figured he would "come around", but this guy doesn't seem to do much of anything well. Most of the time the offense is horrible (tonight it was actually pretty good), Curry is making Flip seem like a HOF coach. I'm actually beginning to believe Flip was better then I thought after seeing Curry coach. His offensive gameplan sucks. His defense is inconsistent. His rotations are absolutely clueless and spontanous. Who knows what he's going to do next. I've basically given up on Curry ever becoming a "good" coach. It's almost March and the honeymoon is over. Flip got alot of flack around here (from me as well), but he knew his Xs and Os. The only thing that hurt Flip was his cowardness and inability to be vocal with his players.

6. max

max All-Star

I don't know. There are times to debate the trade and times not to. This just does not seem like a very good time . On that note - CB did not come here prepackaged. He had his struggles as well. But we had a good coach and a good system in place. He grew into the role.

7. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

At least debate it in a game where AI plays.

8. Slippy

Slippy All-Star Administrator Forum Donor

:pound::pound: Hell thats as good as any escapegoat. sorry dba. It just is.

9. linwood

linwood All-Star

Professor, you rule! Your words express my true joy at being a Pistons fan. Year in, year out, I watch to see what might happen. From the glory of the Bad Boys, to the depths of the Teal years, to the "We shocked the world!" 2004 team, through the next 3 years of playoffs, to the AI experiment, and on to the future, I will be there.

I've cheered Wallace and Wallace, Mahorn and Laimbeer, scratched my head at Dele and Darko, placed my trust in Cliff, Campbell, and Williamson, cheered when Berry made that 3, cried moments later he overplayed and committed the foul, rearranged the furniture when Billups took that 3 on the fast break, cheered when he made it...

Long Live the Pistons! We'll be back. Maybe Bosh, or Stoudamire. Boozer or Chandler. Rip and Tayshaun. I don't know, but I will be watching.
    :MusicBigGrin:

10. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

But i'm not debating the trade. I'm trying to figure out why they look so lost at the end of games. It's a current problem that has roots in previous circumstances.

This is not a CB you were so great, CB please come back post. It's a where did the leadership come from, and who/how do we correct it now.

11. NYPistonFan729

You said it all.

12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Yes, Curry did not coach well in the fourth but this team's problems are deeper than the coaching.

First the coaching.

Right, it was obvious that we needed a young big in the 4th against THIS team to block a drive or two. Dyss should have sat late as we were not going to him for offense anyway. The team should have gone to Sheed far earlier as he had it going against that team. But all this begs the question. Why doesn't the coach have more confidence in our young bigs? The answer is that neither has played consistent enough or shows enough offense. That is a structural problem with the team as the star bigs age.

Notice how much smoother the offense was without AI.

There was actually a major offensive run and a fine stint of defense in the 3rd. Now, the result was the same so this is not to scapegoat AI. Stuckey still made rookie mistakes. But add AI's dribbling into crowds with Stuckies rookie mistakes and you can see why this team cannot go on any runs. AI would have made a bucket or two late to his credit but the result would have been the same.

Conclusion: the team needs a dominant young big and has too many guards and two of the guards, AI and Stuckey, have much the same game.

13. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

If anyone has ever seen a stupider shot than that one, please let me know.

14. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

You know, just to be fair here, and while i'm on my strange abject high after this exquisitely disgraceful loss, I've got to side with lpgrl26 on this one (and despite the fact that I've been vexed by the cb - ai comparisons since the trade): she didn't mention AI, she qualified her mention of Chauncey by saying that it's not about him per se, but just about leadership. It's all right there in posts made just minutes ago. I don't think you even need to go to another page to find them, let alone another thread. Did y'all actually read those? Does anybody really think we weren't lacking leadership in those last oh say 46 seconds?

So you can jump on everything she posts if you want just because the name chauncey is in the post, but all it does is weaken the argument against the actual CB-was-the-messiah-and-AI-is-satan posts/threads when they do come around...(and those posts are truly devil threads which we must exorcise with the righteous might of reason: the power of AI compels you. the power of AI compels you.)

15. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

UH OH!!! DON'T DO IT MY MAN DON'T DO IT!

*hands lapiston a shield*

16. NYPistonFan729

I need4sheed to explain that shot. However, that is not what lost the game. The coaching is very subpar. Curry is making me wish Flip were the coach.

17. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

The one he made a few games ago was very similar, except he made it. We were up by 2 with 30 seconds left and he let a deep 3 go with tons of time on the shot clock. That was a dumb shot that went in. This one was a dumb shot that came up about 3 feet short.

18. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Palace Artest:

I couldn't help but notice that the team did not really miss AI. They lost the same way and got the lead in a bit smoother way on offense and defense. My point is that AI does not add to this team--at least against most of the teams in the league. The jury is still out if he can help against the top teams.

If the above is true, then obviously we need to trade a guard for a young big who can actually impact the game at BOTH ends. The reason the Pistons are not still dominant is that our two star bigs have aged and another (Ben) has aged on another team. Did you see Lamar scoring on Ben in the Laker game. Several years back Ben would have stuffed him easily.

19. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Thanks. I think . . .

20. coynejeremy

coynejeremy All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

YOU ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!
    :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon: :rockon::rockon:

You're a trip tonight. I love it!!!