At Charlotte January 24th, 7:00PM

Discussion in 'January 2007' started by roscoe36, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Webber got player of the game. Not a double double, but hey 19 points, I think 6 rebounds, and 3 assists that should have been more like 6-his teammates still can't belive they are getting these excellent passes from him, pretty good stuff.

If you want to find fault, well, Charlotte got way too many offensive rebounds to start the game. But the same Chris Webber was there in the 2nd half, and Charlotte only got 1 offensive rebound thru much of the 2nd half. And our starting five finished the game, well. Webber is flat out a force down around the basket on the offensive end. Got to love it.

Sheed did major damage in the post too, and we got over 40 points, are exactly 40 maybe, from our starting pair of bigs. Got to love it. Sheed hit a triple or two as well while only missing about 2 shots all game. Webber did not miss many either. Talk about efficiency. Got to love it. Did I mention you got to love it? You got to.

CB got tore up by Felton some, but then again, CB showed he was a bit too much for Felton to handle also. Rip as usual was steady on his shots. Tay scored here and there, hitting that huge triple down the stretch, and taking advantage of smaller guys trying to guard him. Once, he hit Webber under the basket out of a double team.

Five starters all in double figures, three around 20 points. How about the bench though. Not much scoring. Hunter got a couple of buckets, Delfino was 1 for 3 on triple tries, Dyess got a bucket or two. Dale Davis got a couple of dunks. I don't remember JMAX getting in the scoring column-he only played 6 minutes.

Dale Davis played a bit in each half. In the first half, he was called in to help stop the bleeding on the giving up offensive boards. He did his job. In the 2nd half, Dyess got in foul trouble and who cares, cause we had Davis to come in for him. Heck, we had Maxiell too. Pretty much immune to any foul trouble at the power forward position.

The starters played a lot in this one, but heck, they had since Saturday night to rest and they don't play tomorro night. Can't complain too much there.

Ten man rotation. It looks set for now, until a trade comes along. I like ten man rotations. The only person in that rotation I question is Hunter, but he had a decent game tonight since he scored his own a bit. Still can't run the offense, but if he keeps scoring and playing his D, you can't complain too much considering how little he plays. I still say they should be playing Blalock some cause Billups is going to need more rest on some nights-or he is going to go out again with another leg injury from overuse.

On one play, Webber faked a pass to a cutting Rip Hamilton, getting his defender off balance for a moment. He used his advantage to calmly dribble to the basket and lay it in. Webber's passes look like shots until the last moment. Anything but telegraphing; his team had better be alert for those passes.

We saw another nifty alley oop from Rip to Tay. We saw Webber on a fast break dribble in and get fouled-certainly seemed to surprise Charlotte. And Chris converted quite a few free throws. Got to love it. GO PISTONS!!!!!
  2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater All-Star Forum Donor 6x Fantasy Champion

Right. Additionally, Webber came off the bench in the game we lost. 3-0 with him starting! :)
  3. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I only caught very little of this game, however, the few possessions I did see, Sheed was playing in the post to my surprise.

Is it safe to say that with Webber playing out high that we might see more of Sheed in the post? I certainly hope so. It would be ridiculous having two damn near 7 footers 18 feet from the basket.

Let`s keep this win streak alive, so next Tuesday when I am at the game we can be going after our 6th in a row, the second over those sorry Wizards!!!!!
  4. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Right on..40 more regular season games left and maybe 16 in the post season. Make sure CWebb starts then all and we finish with a 66-16 record and another ship. :) Webber= MVP:winner_first_h4h:
  5. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

Webber is a major offensive performer who has tipped the scales on our previously weak offense. All of a sudden, defenses seem to have too much to cover. Notice how open Tay is at times. Part of his role should be to spot up three.

They have to watch Chris who can shoot or roll to the hoop. Players can cut to the hoop and the middle is opened up. Tay should cut to the hoop more from out high. It should be open. We see Rip cutting. We should also kick the ball back out to Chauncey and let him play to his strength--shooting the three. We never see the ball coming back to our best shooter in the offense. Now, it can and after the defense has had to sag.

Not in favor of Webber down low to Dice. How many times have we seem Dice convert down low these past few years? If the coaching is involved, it makes you wonder? Webber is high percentage down low and Dice is not. Doesn't make sense.

We need a back-up point. Hunter is being used too much. It is not realistic to count on him for offense. Lindsay can be used to lock down on one of their guards when they get hot (3 to 5 minutes). If we don't get a back-up, we at least need a guy who can play major perimeter defense with Wade in mind and try and grind them out.

We zone way too much. 84-80 at a key point and we are zoning. Of course, they get an open look. If their guard hit that open three, we have lost all momemtum. Fouls or no fouls, you man up and take the heart out of them.

All in all, with Webber in the offense, things are looking good..
  6. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

THE DIRTY LOW DOWN....tonight
    chris webber

This was the best "worse' game Ive seen us play in a while. Last month, we would have definetly thrown this one away. But a savior has returned to detroit. Three years a go, it came in the form of Sheed Wallace. This year, it has transformed to chris Webber.
    Lets face it, not one player in the league gives a DAM about nazr mohammed. When was the last time he threw a slam-jam party for anybody?( a Webber specialty). Chris is revered and respected all over this league. Players know that he revolunized the baggy pants look and reinvented the power forward position. When he gets the ball in the paint, things happen. Not neccesarily good all the time, but things happen. When Nazty got it in the paint, NOTHING happened. Joe made a mistake. Trade him soon
    Warriors, Pistons talk trade involving Mohammed - Rumors - NBA - Yahoo! Sports
    and lets move on.
    We scored 103 pts without much from the bench onight, but the bench took nothing away either. The rotation tonight is really all we need. If we get Marsucjuakevicious:MusicBigGrin: fine, I would like that. But dont bring someone looking for a big free agent deal next year(Mo Pete, Bonzi) that may mess up potentially good chemistry.
    If taht was fine tuning and tweeking tonight, we should have a lot to look forward to, come playoff time.

....and thats the dirty low down.....
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Webber is another offensive option out there, (compared to Ben and Nazr) and as long as he averages 15 pts a game he is a threat to score when he gets the rock, so teams can't cheat any more and double up on a teammate.. So as long as the other players are in motion and not standing around, he will find the open man... just wait another month and he will be averaging more assists than Billups.:)
  8. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I love that idea because it means Billups won't have great #s heading into FA, and he will have to focus on being a champion if he wants to be the toast of the NBA...
  9. DirtyMoney

DirtyMoney First Round Draft Pick

What happens when we have teams who score in bunches??
  10. DetroitBasketball

DetroitBasketball First Round Draft Pick

This was a really great win for us. Looks like sheed is finally back in form. Rip scored like his normal self. Tayshaun had some good buckets. Chris Webber played phenomenal. Chauncey had a bad shooting night, but he did hit that big three in the fourth quarter. Come on Agent Zero, the Pistons are ready to stop you in your tracks on Friday.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

The Webber signing is looking like a helluva deal for a few reasons.
    His contributions can not be measured in the box-score, the big contribution is that we are finally playing inside/out basketball because we have a legitimate post presence. In the beginning of the game we can now run our sets through him. When we try this with Sheed early on we always start off slow because Sheed.......well.....he-just-Sheed, he has to kind of work his way and head into the game, Webber does a GREAT job of establishing position early and making great decisions that get us quality looks to start the game. With Webber being aggressive early this allows Sheed to do what he does best, float around and pick his spots where he wants to be a major contibutor, he's done that the last 2 games now and it's worked well for us. Webber is allowing Sheed to be Sheed now, he's not comfortable with the offense running through him, nor is he the type of player that's going to give you huge numbers every night, but if you put him alongside a bonafied talent and allow Sheed to complement then he thrives.

Secondly with alot of the offense going through Webber this gets the ball out of Chauncy's hands (hallelujah) early in the shot clock. Big Shot has forgotten everything LB taught about being a PG. You don't ALWAYS have to make the play, just start the DAMN PLAY!!!!! Give up the rock, cut, get it back, swing it weakside and RUN THE OFFENSE, and you don't need the ball for 19 of the 24 seconds to do that. This was one of Billups best games, he took some shots, missed, but had a good floor game, and as a result everyone got involved and the TEAM had alot of assists not just the PG because he's hogging the ball for the whole shot clock. Webber's unselfishness will soon become contagious and we may jus start playing the right way again
  12. hack

hack First Round Draft Pick

Ahah -- so this is where to find game recaps here! Nice post-game comments here, very important for losers like me that don't see many games. Thanks for the comments, gents.
  13. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

Yeah, and hopefully he will not be tired either come playoff time.....
  14. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

"Flip: "Oh guys, before you leave I have one more thing...don't forget to play some defense tonight...K...thanks.":outtahere:
    -------
    That's just too intense, the guys will mutiny.
  15. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Originally Posted by roscoe36 [​IMG]
    I love that idea because it means Billups won't have great #s heading into FA, and he will have to focus on being a champion if he wants to be the toast of the NBA...
    -----------
    Oh he'll have great #s...double "U"s. The only number that counts.
    I don't think having a well paid star will turn us into a Milwaukee or other one trick pony.
  16. MotownPride

MotownPride Starter 2x Fantasy Champion

Monta Ellis. I'm in.
  17. kpaav

kpaav Team Captain Forum Donor

Another reason the Webber trade is such a sweet fit for Detroit is b/c of Sheeds style. Webber can post, but he loves to pass to the cutter down the middle. With Sheed hanging at the three pt line--and havin to be checked there--the middle is wide open. Now I love to see Sheed hanging there b/c it makes the offense so smooth. Also, as proved yesterday he can still post when necessary.
  18. raw36

raw36 First Round Draft Pick Forum Donor

Yep, my sentiments exactly!

Because we don't get many pistons games here on tv, I haven't seen Webber in a pistons jersey yet. Can anyone post a link to videos of webber highlights? Thanks
  19. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Good way of putting it. The young legs made the Pistons look old there for a bit, but experience and will (got to love it when Sheed gets mad) won out.

Tay came out from under his rock to hit a couple of key shots in the fourth, but still looks like a shadow most of the game. And Rip's evil twin appeared once or twice. I'm just waiting for one game when all of these guys are on at once. Maybe that will be in a game 7 somewhere along the way...
  20. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

You can try YouTube for now. I'm sure drsimp will include some Webber in his weekly highlights.