At Charlotte Bobcats Dec. 13th, 7:00 PM

Discussion in 'December 2008' started by Dlev59, Dec 8, 2008.

1. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

I think it was one of those "U broke it, U FIX it" moments. The bench got what it deserved, just like we get on the starters for the same thing.

2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

This excuse is tired. Other players foul and it's not talked about. If Dice changed his name to Amir and he picked up 3 fouls in the 1st half, it would still be mentioned the entire season, but b/c it's Dice or Max or whoever no one says anything. He's judged on a different scale.

Amir may foul, but he's had very good games and stayed out of foul trouble. Our rebounding and defense w/ him looks 10 times better, so who really cares if he does pick up a few fouls occasionally. He puts up the stats when he gets the minutes, and has shown that he relaxes tremoundously after regular PT.

We are getting killed on the boards. What we're doing right now obviously isn't working.

edited to add;

I'm not picking on your post specifically; just that sentiment.

Also is it possible to get LB to sit in the front row for all our games? We play better defense in front of him.

3. permaximum

permaximum Banned - Sent to NBDL

From recap
    But Curry is taking this chance away from AI. It makes me really angry...

4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Or the Larry Moe and Curly Show, if you are talking about the last 14 minutes of the game.

We had a 29 point lead. Still 22 points about to start the 4th, where Curry pretty much emptied his bench. Unfortunately, Herrmann is part of our bench. I turned to my daughter and mentioned we could still lose this one if Herrmann stayed in for very long. I do occasionally like being right, but this was a horrible experience to watch such non-sense.

Oh, we did win the game. Curry did come to his senses and pull Herrmann out of there after 4 minutes and 13 points of our lead going bye - bye. This ended up being a very close game down the stretch, although we did maintain at least a one point lead at all times. A Sheed triple finally gave us a margin to breathe in the last seconds.

Most important - no Amir for the 3rd straight game. What will Curry's excuse be this time. Indeed, how can he have any excuse at all since we are playing small ball to begin with. He can hardly say Amir is too small to play small ball.

Now, things looked awful good for most of the game. AI was hitting his shots. Stuckey did some nice drives and hit another 3. Tay looks completely leg dead. He's toast. And its only December. Early December at that. We still got most of December, January, February, March, April, hopefully May and June to go. In other words, it took me a long time just to type all those months. How is Tay going to hold up playing too many minutes, and out of position at that?

No, it was not a bad decision to remove our starters, and I even thought Curry should have done it as soon as the lead hit 29 with a few minutes to go yet in the 3rd. After all, Tay played 42 minutes the night before and AI about the same. But playing Herrmann? And still no Amir in the game? Curry is awful slow on the pickup. Herrmann is not an NBA player.

Oh, back to the good stuff. Bynum looked very impressibe a couple of times, getting inside on one play and doing a pull up where he rose way way up to swish it. And he hit another jumper to boot. Good stuff. Yes, he threw the ball away some too, but you got to like the fact he can come in and look just like Stuckey, even on nights Stuckey is doing quite well.

Rip was hitting his shots. Sheed got some points here and there including the skyhook and the shot that finally won the game.

Jason Maxiell played plenty, got lots of offensive boards. Dyess hit some shots in the first half. He was one of the guys who sat at the end of the game though.

Let me see, we had Stuckey, Sheed, Afflalo, JMAX, and Prince out there to close the game out. Nice to see him trusting Stuckey. No, bringing AI back, although it might have helped win this game, was not something I was hoping for. Despite the collapse, at least we gave our all - star some much needed rest, whether he thinks he needs it or not.

Let me see, Bynum, JMAX, Afflalo, and Dyess, four bench players. So we are using a 9 man rotation. Sheed nor AI were overplayed. Curry certainly hoped to get Tay some rest, at least he was trying. With Stuckey starting, thats 3 of our four young stars playing, and Bynum also getting development time. Can't totally condemn Curry at all. But man, not playing Amir is never a good idea. Find some time for him Curry, otherwise you ain't doing that bad. (Oh, and if you realized Herrmann does not belong in the NBA, that would be a sign you know your basketball.)

GO PISTONS!!!!!

5. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

AI only has this chance because of Curry. If Flip was here, the trade would never have been made.

You're gunna need to adjust your expectations if you want AI to win a title. His 40 minute games taking the bulk of the shots days are over. That's not why he is here.

He's just another piece in the puzzle, so please deal with that.

6. roscoe36

Wanna run the forum for a week?

7. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

OMG, that was so uncalled for!!! lol

buck up my friend, 2 Ws in a row, and the boards are ablaze, gotta love it

:cheers:

8. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

38 min in what was mostly a blowout; after 40 something the night before at PF. :yawn:

Amir should back up Tay. [STRIKE]Arron can't play PF.[/STRIKE] <crossed out so Curry doesn't get any ideas>

9. roscoe36

I drank all of my eggnog. Without rum.

Alone.

:yellowprison:

10. roscoe36

Spellcheck played poorly in the second half.

11. permaximum

You know the truth too.It's not about takin shots or playing mins.AI doesn't take more than 13 shots and doesn't play more than 40 mins here.He just passes the ball.But if you took him out while u were leading by 29 and it became 3 point game in the 4th you have to bring him in no matter what.You must get used to this idea.Pistons now have the 2nd best scorer of all time after MJ.And one of the most clutch players in NBA...If you don't use AI you will miss Chauncey a lot ;)

12. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

that is still legible:eyebrows:

13. roscoe36

I'm actually on your side in this argument to a degree, Curry does some goofy stuff with his rotations.

But if you keep wishing ill on my team, we aren't going to be friends. :6shoot:

14. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

So you would rather the team potentially end up with a sub .500 record because you would rather see MC makes dumb adjustments? The championship team mantra has worn itself thin, this team has the market cornered on ego and lack of killer instinct. They have shown that over years, Flip was just another participant in the fact the Pistons have not won another ring. They let themselves down as much as their coach did. Its sad that Joe didn't figure that out a few years ago and painful to see what could have been a truly great team not live up to its potential.

15. permaximum

How can i wish ill?You see how much i got angry after 4th quarter.But i know AI.There will be some problems in the near future and it looks first round exit for pistons if it goes like this all season.

16. professor

professor Bench Warmer Forum Donor

still waiting.

as a prize for my 700th post, roscoe said i could run the forum for a week. i'll turn that prize over to whoever wins my -- drum roll -- "1st annual Professor's Make An Actual Argument Contest".

(the assigned topic for this year's contest, in case you forget, is at the top of this post)

17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

What is the point of having a great regular season record if Flip is just going to choke in the PO's ? Yes, i would rather see a coach actually coaching and trying to make adjustments than be a sitting duck for the BOS,CLE, etc to step over on their way to the finals. Curry sucks for small ball and lack of Amir, but under Flip there is no way Stuck/AA would be seeing these minutes or minutes in the clutch.

Flip's coaching had way more do with not winning a championship than any ego by the players. It's the coaches job to manage egos in the first place and keep the team together. He couldn't even manage the basics; driving away the heart of the franchise in his first year. His communications skills were 2nd grade level at best. This team was coming off a Game 7 loss in the finals, and we're supposed to believe that all of a sudden they lost any sort of drive?

Those MIA/CLE that year were painful, but they were not for lack of effort by the players. The team fractured (partly due to the coaching) and the coach just sat by and watched/let it happen. Joe's main mistake was not seeing that Flip and the core were not going to work, and continuing to keep them together.

18. permaximum

BTW am i the only one think this way about AI and Curry in this forum?Because for example in espn conversations a lot of people address this issue and agrees with me...

19. anakin

anakin First Round Draft Pick

You'll be singing a different tune if the Pistons slide into the teal days. Joe has talked about complacency, the CLE series was embarrassing the way they let LBJ smoke them. That wasn't just coaching, they let him drive the lane and own them. I am a big believer is accountability and the Pistons as a collective, including their prior coach, have none. Fundamentals should not be coached at this level. Look at BOS and the leadership KG and Pierce show. Which Piston, besides maybe CB on a limited basis, has tried to lead by example on a day to day basis? Great players make great plays, not coaches.

Besides, the defense, rebounding and results have all gotten worse this season. The only improvement is that the bench is being played. This too will get worse if they don't improve their record, the starters will stay in longer if the goal is to end up w/ a decent season.

20. max

max All-Star

Anyone care to take the leap and blame Flip for the Pistons almost loss tonight?