At Boston March 5 7:30PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 5, 2008.

1. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

All your points sound like coaching problems to me though. Not being able to find the right mix of rotations, inability to think outside the box (try something new), overplaying Prince, Rip running wild, and all those jumpers.

I actually think we are better if not even with BOS. But then i'm of the thought that we have been better than the teams we've lost to in the last post-seasons but not utitlized correctly. The shots we take would give any good coach a conniption (sp?). In fact to steal the TNT thing, Larry Brown is rolling over in his grave right now.
  2. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

To be fair he did get hurt in the 2nd quarter ?, and is probably out for the NY game. I agree he has to be more discplined, but at the same time sometimes i think it hurts us when we rely on him too much on the block.

There has to be a healthy balance between the starters which we haven't been able to find in a very long time.
  3. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Duncan is not a 3-point shooter to begin with, so even though I'd love to see Sheed playing in the paint more, it is not a valid point.
  4. kpaav

kpaav Bench Warmer Forum Donor

These are all good points, but isn't the three ball a major part of Sheed's game? How many of his makes especially the one's that are wide open really benefit the team? I maybe the only one, but I think his three ball is an advantage not a crutch. No one ever mentions the game when he is 4-4 from three point line and 1-6 on the block.
  5. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

I agree. I think Duncan would hold on to the ball and let the shot clock rather than shoot a dastardly 3.

Weren't the overwhelming majority of KG points off of jumpers from the top of the key area?
  6. mikhail1973

mikhail1973 All-Star Administrator 1x Fantasy Champion

Kiev - Farmington Hills, MI - Santa Clara, CA
    Sheed is the best when he is 1-3 from the 3-point line and 9-12 on the block.
  7. kpaav

Thank you. Garnett mostly shot McDyess shots from 18 feet. They were going in so there was no complaining from the Celtic faithful. The times Garnett went to the block were mostly when Sheed was in foul trouble and barely trying to defend him aggressively. Listen, I don't want to defend Sheed irregardless of what he does, but I thought he played a decent game offensively - factoring in his foul trouble and game plan.

We got beat yesterday. Straight up. Popovich would not have had some rabbit in his hat to make that game any better. Yes AA could have had Dixon's minutes, but we didn't need additional defense at the time. (Though one can argue extra defense is always needed) At that time we couldn't hit the back of a barn with the shots. I didn't see one guy on the roster that should have received X amount of more minutes because they were so effective.
  8. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Sheed shot 10 threes and got out rebounded by our point guard. Who's fault is it that Sheed got in foul trouble? Why didn't Sheed get his man in foul trouble? Chauncey was playing physical basketball and Sheed was following the path of least resistance.

I don't hate it when Sheed shoots 3 pointers, but this was clearly out of control. Was he saving himself for the playoffs? The switch argument?
  9. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Didn't someone post this identical post last year after our defeat?
  10. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I think the only thing saving him from a total roast here is that he knocked 3 of his 3's down. If we were looking at an 0-10 performance, this place would smell right now.
  11. kpaav

No, he was being Sheed. You have to take him for what he is. I'm sorry, but he's not going to change. If we wanted someone with more consistency of style, then Joe should have never signed him. It's not like this is new.
  12. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I'm wondering how much of this is Sheed versus just running the plays. Is he calling audibles and floating out there? Or are they running a bunch of plays where he isn't supposed to go to the post?

Uggh.
  13. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

They are winners. Thats all what matters.

We need more KG's (attitude). The Celtics envy of the posters on this forum is APPALLING.

No offense but this post screams "LOSER" to me. And I'm sorry to single you out but i don't wanna shovel through all the ****. BTW with Rip's styles he's basically asking for contact.

EDIT: Sheed doesn't have to tact or discipline to stick to his strength. He wants to be Jason ****in Kapono.
  14. pistonsloyalist

pistonsloyalist First Round Draft Pick

Well, he does it more under Flip than he did under LB. He averaged 3.0 and 3.1 three-point attempts per game under LB and is averaging 4.0 attempts this year and last. The first year under Flip (05-06), he averaged 5.4 three-point attempts per game. LB's disdain for overuse of the three was well-known. So I think you are right in suggesting that play-calling is a factor.
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

LEBRON HAD 48!!Thats showing up!
  16. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

My thing is, there's intensity..and then there's intensity. There's no need to go around acting like a**holes all the time. One could argue that Rasheed is the one who brings "intensity" to the Pistons, as he certainly did in last year's playoff run, and to the team's championship run. You can argue that every team needs that, but that type of emotion has its benefits and disadvantages. Sure, you love seeing him fired up and whatnot, and you love that he comes to play every night. But there comes a point when you have to say "Is that really necessary?" Going around popping your jersey like you're a highschool kid, not a 30-something superstar is something I do not applaud. My disdain for that team has less to do with their success as it does to the way they conduct themselves because of it.

Celtics envy? Where'd you get that from? Yeah, people are overreacting to what is essentially just one loss, but I don't see "envy". Disdain, and maybe hate, but envy? People just want to see their favorite team go on to win the championship, and people go about that in different ways. What I see is frustration more than anything else, but that is something that comes after every loss this team has suffered, not just this one.
    If I were to envy any team's success, it'd be the Spurs'. But as it stands, they are a team I have the greatest respect for, because they are one of the most humble teams in the league, despite having had an enormous amount of success. That's the difference. If the Celtics didn't act like such punks, I'd have much more respect for them too.
  17. max

max All-Star

Everyone has a right to their own opinion of the Celtics. No one person is any more right or wrong than the other.
  18. pass99

pass99 All-Star Forum Donor

Damn good post.
  19. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

He also had 39 tonight and lost to a team that's 11 games under .500.

Back to the Sheed thing. I think it was Joe Dumars earlier this year who said that he would like to see Sheed take about 3 shots in the post for every 3-point attempt. I also believe that Flip Saunders said that he feels like he needs a cattle prod to keep Sheed inside the arc. Based on those comments, I'm guessing that the problem is self discipline.
  20. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

God thanks that somebody FINALLY says that players have responsibilities too. I'm ultimately bored of those"poor coaching/adjusting" accusations. Some here in this forum image like coach is a chess player who can "handle" his "puppets" as he likes. Coach may give orders but this is all: all the rest depends on players. Another irritating topic for me is how some take "adjustments": they threat adjustments like a sort of magic - cast it at the right time and problems gone. From their point of view coach should know when bad play happens and forestall these by making "adjustments". Wake up, coaches' equipment does not include crystal balls. Many of coaches adjustments are orders, but it doesn't mean that sheed bothers to follow them.