At Boston March 5 7:30PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 5, 2008.

1. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Amir was Garnett's %%%%% tonight, but its good that hes getting these asswhoppings in the regular season to an all-time great.

Dyess really has no purpose out there against physical teams, at all.
  2. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

About Rip being off, apparently JD wants him to be more aggressive. Even when he's solid ice.
  3. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

I agree that Amir couldn't stop KG, but he only got the chance maybe 3 times? Once he stopped him, and the other two, no luck. KG scored just as easily on Dyess and Sheed. That is the real problem. We just didn't have an answer.

Ratliff is the only other option and we won't find out if he can do it until the ECF, if we are still around then.

I think the real problem here is that there are 2 types of basketball: regular bball and playoff bball. This was the latter. There was a lot of contact, a lot of tough calls, very aggressive play by our opponent on defense, etc. Certain things that we are used to getting, just get taken away. At that point, the coaches become true battlefield generals. Flip either did not, or could not make an adjustment to stop KG. This was the first time in a while where all of our bigs just looked overmatched.

However, as I said earlier, I still think that losing this game was important for our psyche. It puts a little doubt in the minds of our starting 5. We are not the favorites anymore and toward the end of the season, this is a game that will come up. Bos won the season series and the 3rd game was decisive.
  4. fwoompf

fwoompf First Round Draft Pick

Remember at the beginning of the season when McDyess was shooting like 60%?

I miss that McDyess :(
  5. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Boston picked up PJ Brown and Ssam Cassell to ease their transtion to the finals basically against us and didn't even need them tonight. They didn't need Allen either although he played some defense vs Rip...including sendin him an early message the deck with an elbow the face/neck area.

Agree that our bigs got out 'bigged' tonight, but we had no offense from the bench to offset our defensive shortcomings. Last night I indicated we would need at least 95 points to win this game and that would have indeed done the trick, but only CB was aggressive enough to get in the neighborhood of the paint and get fouled. We fired up jumpers from all over the court and I don't think any of Antonio McUseless 7 shots were taken from within 20 ft of the hoop. Come on man get to the paint and get that % back up...or take yourself out and let the young boyz bang on the inside.
  6. max

max All-Star

Rebounds are a little deceiving because the Pistons missed so many more shots. Also had an opportunity for more offensive boards but Boston won that 10-9. Its tough when the other team can go 4 on 5 offensivly and have 1 guy try and plant himself under the basket for the offensive board. We can't do that in our system.

5 total points from the bench last night. 5 points and only 2 assists. I liked the Stucky/Afflalo combo and it was working. I don't know why Flip wants to change that at this stage just because Dixon had a good game. Well, maybe he will go back to Afflalo now.

Fatigue was a factor in this game and it showed.
  7. raxrets

raxrets Team Captain

the best thing what players can do is move on, they lost but this is not the end of the world.

And it is not flip's fault that he has to play with players he has. Only sheed is a low post threat, but not every day.They are jumpshooting not because of flip but it is the best what available players can do.

did you notice that sheed was limping?
  8. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

"Garnett scored 12 straight points on Johnson in the second quarter."

Caught in the clinch: Celtics lock up playoff spot, and tiebreaker
  9. detroitsfynest

detroitsfynest First Round Draft Pick

Im not worried about this loss its just a regular season game where we played the night before and the celtics were rested and waiting for us.I'll reserve judgement and jumping off a building till we lose to them in a 7 game series
  10. Nemo

Nemo The Great Predictor Forum Donor

We're within one point with a few minutes left and all we can do at that point is shoot 3 bombs and verrrrry long two pointers. Those were not the plays called by Flip. These starters for whatever reason did not want that victory. I'm going to assume that giving the game to Boston was their strategy all along. They actually do better in the playoffs when they don't have home court. Gotta wonder what Sheed's plan for the playoffs is.
  11. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

That's funny, you make me laugh.

Game 6 vs NJ in 04'

Game 7 vs Miami in 05'

Game 5 vs LAL in 04'
  12. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

All the negative stuff I'm reading in here for the most part is spot on.

1. We don't have guys that can get to the rack and get fouled with regularity, or create for others.

2. We don't have 'power bigs', although that shouldn't really be a concern vs Boston. I don't know why you don't match up Max with fat baby (who is quickly becoming my least favorite player in the world). Athough the corpse of Karl Malone in 04' shut down KG by being physical, with a different interpretation of what is and isn't a foul though...

3. Way too many 3's.

4. Repeat after me Flip "Amir with the other 4 starters", not "Sheed with 4 bench guys".

5. Stop picking up weak offensive fouls C$, and why does the ball movement have to stop vs good teams? (see Playoffs 2006, 2007)

6. Now the "no rest" and "gimpy sheed" and "weak foul trouble on Sheed/Dyess" are all legit excuse/reasons but this was a no excuse game.

7. We can't stop dribble drives, even though you have no reason to respect Rondo's J, you still can't check him? As soon as we help they are dropping dimes to guy who aren't even NBA caliber bigs for shots even they can't F up. Powe's playing on one knee, Davis is waste of 9,999 calories per day, Perkins in the homeless man's Rick Mahorn.

8. Speaking of Karl Malone doing a good job on KG, I'd like to see Hermann get a crack at him. PS. 99% of the time he's taking one dribble L and pulling up for a J.

9. We "ONCE AGAIN" (because Joe didn't alter the roster with truly playoff ready guys, maybe if Stuckey had a whole season and Amir got the experience of CWebb's burn last year) are a 3rd or 4th place team instead of a championship team.

10. As far as "futures" PJ Brown + Cassell is way better than Theo + Old man River Hunter.
  13. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Twice for sure, and maybe once more I remember Tay backing someone down, getting swarmed, and then tossing the ball out to Sheed behind the three point line with only a couple of seconds on the clock. Yeah, Sheed probably took too many threes, but a fair number were good looks and at least a couple came from someone else bailing out on him. Without those maybe he finishes 3-7 from three?

- Looks like the Dixon new team shooting honeymoon is over. And his Hunter impersonation is not working yet.

- Bring back Affalo.

- Bad time for Rip to slump.

- How many Piston shots in the first six minutes didn't even draw iron?

- Pistons won 75-73 after going down 17-3. 75-61 if you don't count the beginning and the end.

- Darn Detroit weather.
  14. st8ofmind

st8ofmind Bench Warmer

Seems like one of those 2 is at least critically important.

Coffee is for closers. Something we used to excel at, and other than one drawn foul Boston has absolutely OWNED us down the stretch in all 3 games.
  15. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

Looks like Flip held true to form in terms of offense over defense. Again Afflalo (who was a major factor in the ONLY game we won against BOS) didn not play. I knew he would fall in love with Dixon and his bad defense as soon as he hit a shot.

Amir needs to start. Dyess is killing us at that spot. Maybe Theo really does have something left.

I didn't watch the game, b/c i knew we would lose, and i didn't want to aggravate myself over it (although i't didn't really work, i'm mad now).

20 rebounds for Big Baby Davis. It's nice to know our coaching staff can make adjustments.

From what i get from the recap, we didn't score for the last 5 min of the game or so. It's not suprising. Our late game execution has been atrocious for the most part, and is covered up by our many blow-outs. We can't hold a lead, or take a lead. Jumpshots, Jumpshots, Jumpshots.

back to back + Flip's inexpt coaching = BOS win

You'd think he'd know/or have some kind of strategy or knowledge on bothering KG since he coached him for i don't know 8 years. Sheed didn't step up form what i'm reading either and he's hurt ?

Also the thing about the Zoo Crew was that the defense was spectacular. They always had trouble scoring unless it was in transition. Taking Afflalo and putting Dixon in is going to negate that. Someone needs to tell Flip AA can stop dribble penetration.

edited to add;

We have one of the best record in the league when outrebounding an opponent. Guess who else does?? I'll give you a hint 50-38.
  16. Dumars4Ever

Dumars4Ever Bench Warmer

I don't remember him saying that, but even though he sucks, I thought even Tommy would notice how horrible the refereeing was on both ends. There were about 7 or 8 appallingly bad calls against the Pistons, but probably 5 or 6 against Boston as well.
  17. lpgrl26

lpgrl26 Bench Warmer

We use to excel at it because we had an excellent coaching staff that was also able to control the players.

I remember someone asked me to give them one reason i think the Pistons can't win in the post-season and it's simple; They're undisciplined.
  18. roscoe36

roscoe36 All-Star Administrator

I was looking forward to this game, and it stunk.

I could go on and on, but I'm exhausted. The finger pointing and blame, exhausting. Missed shots, no rebounding, personnel issues, exhausting.

The only good thing to come out of this game, is that I have crystallized my intense dislike (trying to remove the word hate from my vernacular) for Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett.
  19. jzchen

jzchen Bench Warmer Forum Donor

So much of the Boston role players (the bench) not being deep enough to win it all, but after 3 games, they outplayed our bench every game. Not only scoring wise but every other stat.

Agreed that AA should have played in this game, not Dixon.
  20. basketbills

basketbills All-Star Forum Donor

For me it's Rajon Rondo. I liked it when Maxiell gave him that hard foul.