At Boston March 5 7:30PM

Discussion in 'March 2008' started by max, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

OMG, who would get the calls in that series??
  2. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

They all might foul out. Irregardless, if the Cavs and Celtics battle for 7 games and the Pistons take care of Orlando, maybe Detroit will be better prepared to advance further in the playoffs this season.
  3. Warthog

Warthog Bench Warmer

almost looked like they were mailing in the game so they'd lose and not have to worry about the #1 seed. rip's shot selection at the beginning was horrible, sheed took ten 3s and missed all 3 free throws, dice was non-existent, amir had an atrocious 1st half, dixon missed some open looks, we couldn't hit free throws early...just ugly all-around.

we shot 36% for the game and never even attempted to run a play. it was all isolation...only 16 assists.

i think maxiell's missed dunk early in the game signified what kind of night it was going to be. this didn't tell us much for the playoffs though. the bench got some good experience in a tough environment and amir had a much better 2nd half after settling down.
  4. Dlev59

Dlev59 Bench Warmer Moderator

I noticed a DNP for AA. is he injured?
  5. BillLaimbeer

BillLaimbeer All-Star 4x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Perhaps Dixon is the 4th guard for now?
  6. alexa032

alexa032 Team Captain

Ugly game. Just ugly. But, as much as I hate losing, I don't really mind this one. We played 10 people for this game. That's a good thing. And, Boston can have the number 1 seed and a date with Lebron in the second round. I quite like having the 2 seed. I just need to stay away from BSPN for a while.

Looks like Dixon got himself some PT for his offense. But we probably needed Afflalo's D too. I'd like to see Stuckey make better decisions with the ball, and the team has to do a better job of maintaining composure. Only bright spot for the bench was Amir's play in the second half after an bad first half. We also need to rebound better. And Sheed needs to cut down on the 3's.
  7. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Despite the Pistons poor shooting in the first half...this game was lost in the opening minutes of the 4th qtr and the last 5 mins of the 4th qtr.

After Prince tied the game at 69 with 10:50 left in the game, neither team scored until KG hit one of two FT's at the 9:05 mark. Still not a peep(point) from our bench and the one or two starters in there until Stuckey hit a layup with 6:55 left in the game......That was four ^%#$ing minutes with out a point...Meanwhile KG scored the first five points for the C's in the qtr.

At the 5:59 mark Flip brings in the starters and Rip hits a jumper at the 5:39 mark to make it 78-77 C's and the Pistons would not score another bucket the rest of the game...in fact from that point, the celtics closed the game on a 12-1 run. That 's more than 5%%%%ing minutes with out a bucket.

Celtics rule:frusty: ......for now anyway
  8. LA Dre

You are right, the Pistons might not make it to the 3rd round...:MusicBigGrin:
  9. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

This game was equal parts frustrating and enjoyable. All in all this one doesn't bother me too much. (Lie!) Flip was better than the bench in this one. Maybe that's not saying a lot, but it should be noted that he did not shrink the rotation in the second half.

A real rough start with no apparent answer other that Rip shoots a J, CB shoots a J, Dyess shoots a J, Sheed shoots a J followed by Tay shooting a J. Probably an even better opportunity to give the starters a quick blow to get settled than last night. They did not have enough gas to continually overcome their poor start. It had to be at least halfway through the first before CB took a shot he was trying to hit versus getting fouled.

Maxey biggest contribution might have been to BOS when he missed a dunk early on. It was his only shot.

Dixon was close to being real helpful. A hair off of everything.

Did anyone else see the graphic showing that Tay shot 18% in the first 2 games against BOS? He blew that out of the water with a 3-8 tonight. Good rebounds though.

Some atrocious O in this one. Siamese twins have better spacing than the Pistons did tonight. Man they set horrible screens. They got 0 from them.

BOS wasn't trapping CB on screen rolls/pops and DET still scored 78 points. How do you spell genius?

I thought DET's D looked pretty good for the most part.

At least they showed some pride and picked up some T's, but alas BOS equaled if not surpassed them there.

How much easier would the game have been if DET didn't miss all those free throws to start the game?

I am pretty sure that by Tommy Heinson's account every basket DET scored was the result of luck.
  10. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

Whoever it was that said Dixon is a lock down defender or bulldog defender has some explaining to do.

I am not upset over this loss. I am not upset over this loss. I am not upset over this loss. I am not upset over this loss. I am not upset over this loss. I am not upset over this loss. I am not upset over this loss. I am not upset....
  11. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The team was tired and this was brutal scheduling. No, I am not hurting by this loss but...

There are some recurring problems. Yes, Ernie, we starting off sharing jump shots. Do we really have an offense after two years with this coaching staff? Or, were we just tired?

How often are we getting abused at the center position by good teams? Yes, we often get beat up top, but we look helpless down underneath. Theo, if he has any of his old game at all, will get real minutes I suspect.

How slow can a coaching staff be to make a move, any move?

Still hard to gauge a game with our team tired from the start.
  12. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Meh, keeping thinking that the clearly superior team will lose. Not all powerhouses are as dysfunctional as Detroit.

Did anything really go completely right in this game? I didn't watch but the boxscore just screams MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEH.
  13. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

OK, at one point, Tommy Heinson made the remark that this game was one of the best officiated games of the season. Think about that for a minute. Usually you don't notice the refs when a game is called well... but this one was called SOOOO well that it really stood out to him as being something special.

Besides that, our bench got shut down hard core... 62 minutes and 2 FG's for the bench.

As far as I can tell, Chauncey Billups was the only one who put his heart and mind into this game. 15 free throws, 5 rebounds, and 7 assists in a game when we were getting shut down? That is excellent work from him.

On the flip side, our Center took 10 three pointers, only got 4 rebounds, and allowed KG to post a cool 31 points. WTF was that Sheed??? Besides the 3's, he also took some absolutely horrendous long range 2's. He was killing it in the post. Only he and God know why he didn't set up shot down there. We stopped Allen and we contained Pierce, but we needed Sheed to bother KG and he didn't do it. A dozen wide open J's from the free throw line + the easiest little drop ins you've ever seen when he went inside. It's not like Amir, Dyess, or JMax could do any better, but come on Sheed, you're supposed to be the man.
  14. LA Dre

Ill, I kept wondering why KG has been taunted as MVP all season. He showed his MVP colors tonight dominating our bigs on the inside and hitting the midrange jumpers from the outside. Sheed tried to keep up with him but with 10 three balls and five fouls and no help from the other bigs it was just not enough.

Our defense played tough, but theirs was better. We have played them three times this season and we are averaging a paultry 83.3 points a game. Poor shooting did us in during the 1st and 4th qtarters and their bench spanked ours point wise 15-5. Overall they beat us by 12 points and out rebounded us by 12 boards.. Once again Ray Allen was a no show and they still came out on top...
  15. OLD SKOOL HQ

OLD SKOOL HQ All-Star

what i took from this loss:

1. I syill hate Tom Heinsohn

2. Pistons have not won anything since Antonio McDont joined this team.

3. The KPerkins of the world areaveraging 20 rebs a night against this team.

4. We have no bigs with any rear end. We are smaller than all the top3 East teams.

5. rip has never stepped in a big game against big teams. Name ONE big game Rip has shown up in. Plus he hinders Tay's game. Move Tay to Shooting guard and Amir to small forward until he grows up.

6. Herrmann needs a chance..

7. Flip will never lead THIS team to a title.

8. sigh...no excuses...after tonight, Celts ARE a better team. And it wont matter again until we meet them in playoffs

9. I see a real dropoff in the quality of Sheed's play after tonight. What game other than vs Cavs will fire him up?

10. Celtic fans make Piston fans at the Palace look like choir girls. Now THATS HCA!!!!
  16. The Palace Artest

The Palace Artest First Round Draft Pick

Seriously, we have the better PG but it ends there.

Boston has a better team, better playmakers, a better defense, and a better bench. Sadly, maybe even a better coach (Doc is nothing special at all but still more than Flip).

I'm completely hopping on the HQ/The Low bandwagon: Show me something and you'll get my confidence in this team back, and Flip is not the man to show us anything.
  17. Pwn Toney

Pwn Toney All-Star Forum Donor

I have a new avatar for you after they blow another playoff run....

[​IMG]
  18. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

Rip has over 2,000 playoff points and his playoffs average of 20.7 ppg is higher than his regular season average of 17.9. In fact, the last playoff game we had, Rip was the only one to show up with 29 points on 50% shooting. Our second best player was Webber with 13 points.

In game 5, he had 26 points with 5 assists and 12 free throws. Game 4, 19 points. Game 1, 24 points, 7 assists. (2, and 3 were sub par).

Against the Bulls:
    20/ 5 (points/assists)
    24/ 6
    16/ 3
    11/ 5
    16/ 5

Against the Magic:
    22/ 4
    22/ 6 (with 14 FT's)

He shows up.
  19. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

I like #5 Skoo, but what coach would be smart enough to see the need for that?
    And pull the string.
  20. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

We seem to be around a key topic. Perkins had 20 boards. But the guy who was our center was Dyss. He is undersized and slow down underneath on defense. Amir was pushed around too. He did make a key block. Dyss is not really an upgrade from Amir and Amir had problems too tonight. Maxiel has trouble laying the ball in the hoop and is undersized as well. Does Ratliff still have game?

Sheed still kept us in the game despite his shortcomings tonight. Tay was the man last night so I will excuse him for being tired.

Why can't the coach sense Rip is off and sit him for a spell? He doesn't control his players.

Again, questionable offense, poor play at center and slow coaching. Can we overcome this?

On the other hand, we played our cards close to the cuff. I suspect you will see Hunter and maybe afflalo putting big time pressure on their guards. KG can be stopped when it counts and so can Rondo. We didn't show them our stuff.