at Boston Celtics Wednesday January 19 7:30 pm

Discussion in 'January 2011' started by roscoe36, Oct 19, 2010.

1. 2Tough4You

2Tough4You Bench Warmer

Yeah, and he finished 5 for 14 and scored just three points (on 0-6) in the second half, with a bunch of ugly turnovers.

Stuckey stunk in the second half. He couldn't get anything going. Monroe was the only positive in this game.
  2. TaS

TaS All-Star Forum Donor

One of the best games we've played this year by far. Shaq was looking reborn and we still held them to a very low score.

We were absolutely great at defending on the break tonight. We just allowed very few easy baskets overall. Big ball is superior to small ball in ways that you don't necessarily notice while your watching. Just better overall resistance and more difficult shots for the opponent.

Starting off with Tay guarding Rondo was smart. Tay sagged and Rondo was uncomfortable. Also very active intelligent defense by the Celtics as you would expect. Naturally, that makes our guys look bad. It was playoff style basketball, complete with a frantic crowd.

I'm loving watching the Pistons with a real center in the game. Wilcox isn't amazing, but he's solid. He plays smart, has nice offensive form, defends the paint, and gets some tough rebounds. And Monroe's multiple catches and crafty finishes in the paint (using the rim to avoid getting blocked) was a great sign.

The one thing that really puzzled me, besides the forced 2-point attempt at the end, was the successful hack-a-shaq followed by no hack-a-shaq. If it worked once, why would you go away from it?

Oh well, good game overall by Q.
  3. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

This game, with a couple calls are way, was ours. Can't complain about much - except as the last guy mentioned - why not employ hack a shaq one more time. (Kind of minor though - as after that the game would be under two minutes and the anti hack a shaq rules come into play)
  4. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

You can not possibly find a worse backup point vs. Bynum. We have such a good team, that looks so dang bad, when he is out there vs. good D. In the 2nd half, the guys around him bailed him out with some good one on one play.
  5. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

That was a bad call there. Gordon was fouled. If he had made the hoop - and got the call - the conventional three point play would have tied it up. Stuckey just blew that shot, rushed when there was no reason.
  6. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

They ought to simply have a fourth ref sitting in front of the monitors who can overrule such plays in like 2 seconds. No more waiting for the refs on the floor to get set up for the review.
  7. max

max All-Star

lol, yes you can see the momentum changing when he was in the game especially with all the dumb shots. Someone should tell him that he is supposed to be trying to set other guys up. Who else is going to play that spot now?

Very disappointing but this team is fun to watch again. Just need to get Gordon's friggen shot back somehow. Need some shooters. Monroe and Wilcox are shaping up to be a half way decent front court. Its fun watching Monroe develop. And I cannot believe they blew that Gordon call but the game was ours to lose and we lost. Oh well, on the schedule I did not expect a win here anyway but man I thought they were going to pull it out.
  8. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

The worst play by Bynum was near the end of the third where he stole the ball from Nate Robinson and had Monroe on his wing flying down the floor only to miss the layup.

What he should have done was pass it to Monroe, who could have not only made the hoop, but probably would have gotten fouled and made the FT. Instead the C's got the rebound and Wafer was fouled and made a FT.

That was a four point swing that we could have used in the end, but Bynum's court vision is to shoot first and pass second.....:yellowprison:
  9. Lee356

Lee356 All-Star

Especially when we lost the lead or most of it on like 3 occasions and then built it back up. Darn, just a few more free throws made would have done it.
  10. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

The game was lost in the 3rd quarter. Possession after possession, Stuckey missed many golden opportunities. The Pistons would have been up double digits. And then Bynum tried to score. The play of those two in the third kept Boston in the game.

On the positive side, Monroe may turn out to be the best player in the draft.

Monroe and Gordon should have been out late in the 4th instead of Stuckey and Wilcox. But I am glad that they are playing Stuckey at the two. Its one game, one data point. Let's see what he can do and have no illusions one way or another. Joe will have to make a tough decision on whether to resign or not.

The coach has done the team a service this year. It is becoming more and more obvious what these players can and can't do.
  11. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Going into thsi game I'd made up in my mind that this game was a test, we needed to know whether the teams recent success was just fools gold against bad teams or something that we can legitimately build on, I think we're legit. I think we're a playoff team who'll be a tough out against a contender (even if we're swept), but that playoff experience will do wonders for Daye, CV, Monroe, Stuckey, maybe Jonas if he's back. I know some folks think we should ber shooting for ping-pong balls but I've been watching a ton of college hoops and I just don't see "That" player (PG, PF/C) coming out who'll help us turn the corner down the road.

As far as Bynum, I like it when Will gets it going and scores in bunches but with this 2nd unit that's not what is needed, we need a defensive minded and/or facilitating PG at that position with the 2nd unit. When you have a 2nd unit that has Ben Gordon, Charlie Villanueva and Austin Daye you need a PG that knows how to get those guys some good shots and really defend his position well (a poor man's Rajon Rondo), not sure who that player is or if he's available.
  12. lapiston

lapiston Team Captain

correction: end of the game should have had Monroe and Gordon instead of CV and Stuckey. Gordon had hit a couple of shots and may have been going. Stuckey was missing many scoring opportunities in the 3rd quarter. The two guard needs a huge skill set. Let us see if Stuckey's game is up for it. One game on, one game off will not get the Pistons to the elite level from that position.

But let the coach see what players can do. Let Joe evaluate as this year some crucial decisions will have to be made.
  13. KGREG

KGREG All-Star

Monroe was out there, maybe we should have went with Wilcox down the stretch as we gave up a few offensive boards, but we do need to find a way to get Gordon on the floor down the stretch of the 4th, but looking at the replay of this game, Stuckey wasn't as bad as many would want to suggest, neither was T-Mac (Tay was horrible) In February I think our starting backcourt will be delivering the goods (in the form of made FG's instead of bricks)
  14. LA Dre

LA Dre All-Star 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

Agree that we got killed on the boards and iespecially on the sequences where they got those offensive rebound that eventually set up the winning bucket by Allen. Wilcox and Monroe would have been better than CV especially if we weren't trying to find CV for a shot.

Also didn't understand why Q yanked BenGo after he had hit three straight jumpers and put Stucky back in?? he was hot and we went away from him and the equally hot Monroe by putting the ball in Tay's hands and he held the ball milking the clock as if we had a 15 pt lead???
  15. max

max All-Star

I am tired of these shoot 1st PG's.
  16. TheeTFD

TheeTFD All-Star

Holding them to 16 where we usually get blown out and scoring 16 still sounds pretty strong.
    Progress !
  17. dba

dba All-Star Moderator 1x Fantasy Champion Forum Donor

It is funny, but I feel the same way. Then Bynum comes in and does the junior-super-collider thing with even less success than Stuckey used to have and the team bogs down. I still can see why Bynum gets more than a couple of minutes a game. T-Mac, SC, and BG ought to be a fine three guard lineup with the SC running the point with BG in.

In the last half of the fourth though the Celtics were just too strong defensively. There was a ten point swing over the last three minutes of the game and that was all Celts.
  18. Ernie the Slow Adult

Ernie the Slow Adult All-Star Forum Donor

The Pistons competed with out playing well. The Celtics won while playing like garbage. Those are both true statements to me.

2 things kind of sum up the state of the Pistons last night. Gordon had it going in the 4th and had the potential to make things tough on BOS but was subbed out for Stuckey with about 7 minutes to go. Stuckey didn't play terribly and even made some plays but DET lost Gordon's shooting. They can't really get these guys on the floor together.

Later on in the 4th Wilcox was taken out of the game for Monroe. Monroe likewise made some plays, but Wilcox was the one guy who kept the Pistons in the game for as long as they were at the end. The Pistons would have some offensive struggles pairing Monroe and Wilcox at the end of games though.

The problems with the roster run a lot deeper than Rip Hamilton and you could have the same recent results if you sat Gordon or Stuckey in his place.

Monroe went the first 15-16 minutes of the game? That is x2 territory. Shaq highlighted his problems with defensive rebounding. Hopefully that will improve as the season goes along.

Wilcox really played a tough game.

I like the fact that the Pistons went for 2 when they were down 3. Scoring keeps the pressure on the other team to score.

How do the Celtics expect to compete for a title when they took a long jump shot by Allen for the game winner?

The non-charge/charge call on Davis was Stuckey's 3rd foul. The charge on Rondo 15 seconds later was his 4th.

Stuckey should have hit that 10 footer (for the tie?), but I don't have a problem with him missing it.

Rondo did a real nice job guarding both Stuckey and T-Mac. He is a bulldog. Nate Robinson also did a good job on Bynum.
  19. Delfino Delivers

Delfino Delivers Bench Warmer

Completely agree. We should have had Monroe and Wilcox on the floor at the end or at least been doing offense for defense substitutions with Wilcox and CV.

I am just not impressed with BG. I threw my remote when he pulled up on the break for the 3 pointer in the fourth. I know he has the green light but that pull up three just grinds me. Maybe I am biased but he seems to miss a lot of easy shots.

We win this game if Tay and TMac play like they have been all season. Tay was 6-14 but he missed a LOT of wide open jump shots. TMac forced some tough shots that he has been making but they didn't go in last night.

At one point in the 3rd it seemed like the team was surprised to be leading the game. Ball movement slowed down and I think the basket got smaller for a few of the guys. If we continue to play the same line up and guys get more comfortable in their roles; we will win more of these games then we lose.

Can Rip be re-introduced to the line up as currently constructed and help or would that cause more problems then remedies. The difference between Stuck and Rip at the 2 is that Stuck can create for himself and others. Rip does not have the ability to create a shot or draw a foul. If he is not their off the pick then the play is dead. It is a scramble to get a good shot with the time remaining on the shot clock if Rip doesn't shoot it because it takes so long for him to get open.
  20. Walter

Walter All-Star Forum Donor

I'm very happy with this game. We could've won it. Maybe if Gordon was in for the last 5 minutes instead of Stuckey. Maybe if we didn't do this or that or the other thing. The fact is, we took the top dog in the East all the way to the end on their home floor and they were 100% healthy! And, this is a team that has a HUGE advantage on their front court where the Pistons are the weakest. One of those 3 pointers in the last 2 minutes goes in and we'd be looking at a 4-game win streak now.

I think the rotation is set. It's minor adjustments here and there going forward now.

I don't think Rip can be reintegrated back into the lineup at this point without throwing everything out of whack. A player with Rip's skillset can help this team plug some holes as Lee pointed out several times in various posts. However, the way we would need to use Rip would NEVER mesh with Rip's ego, and it would cause Tay's whinometer go berserk.